Paris' Notre Dame is on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, we need to wait a little before drawing conclusions. Right now, it's not down yet.

And it was restored masssively in the XIXth century, so it will be built back again.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
You’re right. It’s irreplaceable. I can’t and never will be what it was.

But it will be rebuilt. The art and relics were priceless. There will be new paintings, new stained glass, and in time there will be new relics.

I certainly know that I would and will donate time and money to build a new Notre Dame cathedral, and I’m sure a few other people out there will as well. It is a place of worship first and foremost, so I don’t think it will be left as pile of rubble for very long.
"New relics???" I mean, I am not going to say that I'm the smartest "guy in the room" but I know what the definition of a relic is and if I didn't I would easily be able to look up the definition of it on wikipedia, and the idea of a "new relic" is literally an oxymoron because a relic can't be "new" it's literally something that has survived from a much earlier time in history so once it's gone it's gone forever and a new relic cannot "replace' an old relic because there is literally no such thing as a "new" old thing, conceptually it's unpossible. SMH.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I dont see the cathedral as a place of so called worshipping but its a great historic monument with a lot of history. Its also a place that should remind all of us that the previous generations weren't as dumb as Beavises and Butt-heads among us want to believe.

I live in the Netherlands and visit Paris quite often, and this is a HUGE loss. Its completely, totally irreplaceable.

:/

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
D4OFOKMWkAEEHsz.jpeg

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
"New relics???" I mean, I am not going to say that I'm the smartest "guy in the room" but I know what the definition of a relic is and if I didn't I would easily be able to look up the definition of it on wikipedia, and the idea of a "new relic" is literally an oxymoron because a relic can't be "new" it's literally something that has survived from a much earlier time in history so once it's gone it's gone forever and a new relic cannot "replace' an old relic because there is literally no such thing as a "new" old thing, conceptually it's unpossible. SMH.
Given my meager knowledge of Catholic theology I’ll try to explain as best as I can. A relic is some kind of tangible remains of a saint, either that Saints’s physical remains or personal effects. Should the Catholic Church decide to canonize a new French or Parisian saint - especially someone connected to Notre Dame - their relics could be placed in a new relicquary in the new cathedral.

In other words, in the Catholic sense of the word, “relic” has nothing to do with age.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Relics were saved.

Reactions: rfournier103

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Given my meager knowledge of Catholic theology I’ll try to explain as best as I can. A relic is some kind of tangible remains of a saint, either that Saints’s physical remains or personal effects. Should the Catholic Church decide to canonize a new French or Parisian saint - especially someone connected to Notre Dame - their relics could be placed in a new relicquary in the new cathedral.

In other words, in the Catholic sense of the word, “relic” has nothing to do with age.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that no sane person is going to be signing up to get cannoned and why would the Church kill one of it's own, much less a an actural real-live Saint? I know that there are martyrs that got killed in all sorts of horrible inexcusable and barbaric ways but that was by OTHER religions not the same one they were in, and despite your theory, there are much more humane ways of killing someone than a cannon in 2019.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that no sane person is going to be signing up to get cannoned and why would the Church kill one of it's own, much less a an actural real-live Saint? I know that there are martyrs that got killed in all sorts of horrible inexcusable and barbaric ways but that was by OTHER religions not the same one they were in, and despite your theory, there are much more humane ways of killing someone than a cannon in 2019.
I’m pretty sure you’re joking, but if you’re not, I’ll explain.

When someone is declared a saint by the Church, it’s called “canonization” with only one “N.” And one can only be declared a saint after they are already deceased.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Really? Cannon is not the same word as canon. I'd go into details about sainthood, but if you are going to so viciously misconstrue the process on a public forum like, it might be misunderstood just as badly.

Definition of CANONIZE
1: to declare (a deceased person) an officially recognized saint
2: to make canonical
3: to sanction by ecclesiastical authority
4: to attribute authoritative sanction or approval to
5: to treat as illustrious, preeminent, or sacred
History and Etymology for canonize

Middle English, from Medieval Latin canonizare, from Late Latin canon catalog of saints, from Latin, standard

Definition of cannon

(Entry 1 of 3)
1plural usually cannon
a: a large, heavy gun usually mounted on a carriage
b: a heavy-caliber automatic aircraft gun firing explosive shells
c: any device for propelling a substance or object at high speedsan air cannona T-shirt cannon— see also WATER CANNON
2or canon : the projecting part of a bell by which it is hung : EAR
3: the part of the leg in which the cannon bone is found
4sports, informal : a very strong throwing armWhile Hershberger had a quick, accurate arm, Lombardi had a cannon.— William Nacka shortstop with a cannon arm

What is the difference between cannon and canon?
Noun
Cannon and canon are occasionally confused by writers, but the two words have independent origins, and do not share a meaning. Cannon is most frequently found used in the sense of "a large gun," and can be traced to the Old Italian word cannone, which means "large tube." Canon, however, comes from the Greek word kanōn, meaning "rule." Although canon has a variety of meanings, it is most often found in the senses of "a rule or law of a church," "an accepted rule," or "a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works." A loose cannon is "a dangerously uncontrollable person or thing." There are no loose canons.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Really? Cannon is not the same word as canon. I'd go into details about sainthood, but if you are going to so viciously misconstrue the process on a public forum like, it might be misunderstood just as badly.

Definition of CANONIZE
wow thanks I was totally ignorant thank you

Tried to explain as best I could.

He’s just young and thinks he’s funny.

Ignorants is not funny, and thanks for your explanation too, as well.

Chonged

Apr 24, 2018
One time I bought a storage unit that had a bunch of hunchback of Notre Dame toys in it. Maybe ten or so in the original package.

I wish my girlfriend hadn't made me sell them . They would be worth a bunch on eBay today.... Women and their bird in the bush bs.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
From 14.8.16. I couldn't go in because it was insanely busy, and about 5pm. I also wanted espresso. It was in pretty rough shape, I thought at that time. I went when I was 8 years-old and had the full experience. Sad day for history.

bX6aoxD.jpg

kulUy5f.jpg

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Thanks. I'm still "processing" all of this but I think that we (bae and I) are going to be out about $700 dollars because of this fire because a lot of the things we have paid up for in advance are non-refundable even though this fire happened.
Sorry about your $700, but I heard they were able to save the Crown of Thorns that Christ wore when He was Crucified on the first Good Friday.

That should make us all feel a little better. THAT is irreplaceable. When you eventually reschedule your vacation, check out that little bit of history. I didn’t know it was even there until today.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Sorry about your $700, but I heard they were able to save the Crown of Thorns that Christ wore when He was Crucified on the first Good Friday.

That should make us all feel a little better. THAT is irreplaceable. When you eventually reschedule your vacation, check out that little bit of history. I didn’t know it was even there until today.
Thanks, and you are right, I will definitely get that money back, when I think about it, I just won $500 bucks on a scratch-off ticket the other day so I'm only really $200 "in the hole" right now, so it's not like I'll be out the money forever, so it could be a lot worse and I guess I should have more perspective about the bigger picture.

On another note though, I highly doubt it was the real authentic crown of thorns that Jesus actually wore because there is no way in the world that it would have survived thousands of years, it's literally made of wood and that decays over time, so I'm not really interested in going to Paris to see something that's faked but thanks anyways, I didn't know they had a fake crown of thorns at Notre Dame either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->