Confirmed with Link: Parenteau to NSH for 2017 6th.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We also have no diea if previous waiver claims intefered with Shero's ability to shop this guy as he wanted.

And he's injured

And we got him off waivers

Whatever, anyone mad at this needs to have their head examined. Look at what Iginla, Stafford, and Vanek got. No one was buying forwards this year, big money is in defense. Which makes the Quincey trade even more curious but that's for another thread.

This one is whatever, the Quincey trade honestly confuses the hell out of me. I don't understand how we couldn't get something better. I'd have rather had Quincey just play out the year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL

I can't believe we got more for Fiddler, a meh 4th liner at this point and likely reaching the exit sign at the end of the hallway out of the league, than we got for Parenteau.

And from the same GM, at that.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
LOL

I can't believe we got more for Fiddler, a meh 4th liner at this point and likely reaching the exit sign at the end of the hallway out of the league, than we got for Parenteau.

Fiddler is a center. They always have value.

Parenteau is a streaky winger who is injured and is on his bazillionth team. Even Vanek only went for a 3rd and he's similar in that regard.

What can ya do.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
LOL

Fiddler had worth because he could win defensive zone draws.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fiddler had worth because he could win defensive zone draws.

He was also a popular ex-Predator, that's the biggest reason we got a 4th for him from the Predators.

The funny thing is if the returns were reversed (PAP for 4th, Fiddler for a 6th) everyone would have loved it, but since it happened in reverse the Fiddler return helped get everyone all unrealistic over the returns our other junk would get.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I definitely think we should be happy we got a 4th for Fiddler, even if we only got a 6th for Parenteau.

I expected or at least hoped for a 3rd for Parenteau and I didn't even think anyone would want Fiddler at all.

So it's a wash for me.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
A 6th can easily be leverage in a package. Look at how many 5ths, 6ths and 7ths being tossed around the last week.

This is good asset management. It gives Shero more assets to play with.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
PAP is also beyond useless when he isn't scoring.

Not true he's a good possession player.

I literally have no idea where this whole idea that PAP is this "useless" player when he isn't scoring comes from. And you're not the only person who believes it. The whole league evidently believes it. Parenteau is a great middle 6 forward to have. He's easy to play with. Can keep a line strong possession wise. Won't break it down. Doesn't really make any dumb plays.

Parenteau is one of the more underrated players in the league. I'm not going to rip Shero for this since I guess he just took what he could, but it's just mind boggling to how little the league values a consistent player like him. This is still a player who was #3 on our team in producing on the 5 on 5.

I think it's pretty silly to expect someone like Lappin to just walk right up from the AHL and replace PAP. This will hurt our offense for the rest of the year (not that that is a horrible thing since a draft pick is obviously on the organization's mind at this point).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not true he's a good possession player.

I literally have no idea where this whole idea that PAP is this "useless" player when he isn't scoring comes from. And you're not the only person who believes it. The whole league evidently believes it. Parenteau is a great middle 6 forward to have. He's easy to play with. Can keep a line strong possession wise. Won't break it down. Doesn't really make any dumb plays.

Parenteau is one of the more underrated players in the league. I'm not going to rip Shero for this since I guess he just took what he could, but it's just mind boggling to how little the league values a consistent player like him. This is still a player who was #3 on our team in producing on the 5 on 5.

I think it's pretty silly to expect someone like Lappin to just walk right up from the AHL and replace PAP. This will hurt our offense for the rest of the year (not that that is a horrible thing since a draft pick is obviously on the organization's mind at this point).

When the playoffs start (which is what we're basically trading Parenteau for), guys like Parenteau lose their effectiveness. I'm honesty not surprised by this return considering that he's currently hurt, he's been very cold lately, and the type of player he is.

I'm just really, really happy that Shero traded him for anything because I'd rather see what Bennett, Noesen, DSP, Lappin, and the young kids have for the rest of the year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why would anybody rather see PAP for the rest of the year and not get a pick than give Lappin another chance

I can see Lappin for the rest of the year with Parenteau in the lineup.

If I'm making room for Lappin, DSP is my target not Parenteau.

A 6th round pick in a weak draft is pretty much nothing at all. That pick will be 170th to 180th overall... And I'll say again, this isn't a good draft year.

Parenteau was given away for free. So was Quincey for that matter... but at least I can somewhat see the logic of getting RW depth for Albany even though I still think it was giving away a NHL player for nothing.

I wouldn't call it a "bad day" for Shero, just a meaningless waste of time.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We got a asset from a waiver pickup... how can anyone complain about the return is beyond me.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can see Lappin for the rest of the year with Parenteau in the lineup.

If I'm making room for Lappin, DSP is my target not Parenteau.

A 6th round pick in a weak draft is pretty much nothing at all. That pick will be 170th to 180th overall... And I'll say again, this isn't a good draft year.

Parenteau was given away for free. So was Quincey for that matter... but at least I can somewhat see the logic of getting RW depth for Albany even though I still think it was giving away a NHL player for nothing.

I wouldn't call it a "bad day" for Shero, just a meaningless waste of time.

I know the draft lacks top end franchise players, but is it also expected to lack depth throughout? I feel that the lack of the former is enough for people to claim "weak draft".

Still, it will be interesting to see what kind of tricks Castron and Shero have up their sleeves, whether using the 6th in a trade to move up on an earlier pick, or finding some obscure +1 player poised for a breakout season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We got a asset from a waiver pickup... how can anyone complain about the return is beyond me.

But the waiver pickup turned into something else as the season wore on, and the asset we got in return was a 6th rounder, ie one step from the last round of the draft.

Unfair to expect similar return, but we pulled Stemp in from out of nowhere and got a solid return on that.

And I'm not complaining, but certainly not excited either.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
But the waiver pickup turned into something else as the season wore on, and the asset we got in return was a 6th rounder, ie one step from the last round of the draft.

Unfair to expect similar return, but we pulled Stemp in from out of nowhere and got a solid return on that.

And I'm not complaining, but certainly not excited either.

Stempniak was a legit all around player, PAP on the other hand isn't. If he's not producing offensivel, he should pretty much useless and it's not a coincidence that he's been apart of 5 teams in 4 years.

Drew Stafford returned a 6th as well and I'd consider Drew a better player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Stempniak was a legit all around player, PAP on the other hand isn't. If he's not producing offensivel, he should pretty much useless and it's not a coincidence that he's been apart of 5 teams in 4 years.

Drew Stafford returned a 6th as well and I'd consider Drew a better player.

As noted above, Pap was a solid possession player. The idea that he is useless when not scoring doesn't seem to have much basis.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Don't love it, but it's better than nothing... especially for a waiver pickup. At least, Shero got some value for him unlike Lou last season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Parenteau is kind of like a faster version of Boucher to me. He has a nice shot, but beyond that there's just not much there.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I'm not going to roast anyone's feet over the fire for getting a draft pick for a streaky, injured waiver wire pickup. There was no value to be had yesterday, and there was no sense in keeping either PAP or Quincey so Shero did them a solid in moving them to a playoff team and getting whatever value he could.

I don't see it being anything more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad