Confirmed with Link: Parenteau to NSH for 2017 6th.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
seriously its more important that we are making room for younger players than the return. i would have thought a little more for him.. but every year is different and its obvious this was not a great year for sellers. and quite frankly we didn't have much to offer.. he made the moves nonetheless . the off season will be way more important.. the trade deadline is for teams in the playoffs beefing up rosters and adding missing pieces... would have liked more for both players but didn't want to see either of them back next year... on the flip side i think nashville made a nice trade to get PA good piece to add and we payed them back a little for giving up a 4th for fiddler

Agree with the bolded.

That said, it also seems Shero somewhat misread the market. Early sellers got higher returns. Fiddler, Smith, etc. all brought higher returns that what we saw today.

I like that Shero got a lottery ticket back for Parenteau. It's close to getting nothing back, but it at least lets the kids play.

I hate that Shero got back a contract that runs through next year for Quincey. It's actual negative value.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Parenteau is going to miss at least 2 games. That probably affected his value.

I wonder if Vrbata not getting traded had an impact as well. Maybe teams would've been on other wingers if he'd been moved early in the day.

I just don't know how many teams viewed Parenteau as a viable top 6 option.

Vrbata has performance bonuses on his deal which complicated things. I think one of the TSN guys mentioned that the acquiring team would have had to pay the bonuses which could cause cap issues.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Preds fan here. Meh reaction about the trade, just coming with a question about his finger. Any word on the severity of it? Honestly didn't know he just got hurt so just wanted to ask.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Agree with the bolded.

That said, it also seems Shero somewhat misread the market. Early sellers got higher returns. Fiddler, Smith, etc. all brought higher returns that what we saw today.

I like that Shero got a lottery ticket back for Parenteau. It's close to getting nothing back, but it at least lets the kids play.

I hate that Shero got back a contract that runs through next year for Quincey. It's actual negative value.

We were also still very much in the running for the playoffs a few weeks ago, losing Fiddler was fine but PA and Quincey did help us quite a bit. Worth it hold onto them until decision day.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hextall got 2 picks and a forward for a washed up and old d-man.

Very disappointing day for DevilsNation

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Agree with the bolded.

There has to be some reason for this that we don't know about. Because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Preds fan here. Meh reaction about the trade, just coming with a question about his finger. Any word on the severity of it? Honestly didn't know he just got hurt so just wanted to ask.

I almost thought it was a cover up and excuse not to play him the other night, but they did say Quincey was being held out because of a potential trade, but Parenteau was injured in the last game before that.

It's probably not too bad of an injury if he was traded.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

??

I know people have told you, I don't know if you're just willfully ignoring it or what, but they took on another year of Filpula's contract. Their deal was not AT ALL comparable to what we did. Stop this nonsense man.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Streit is quite a bit better than Quincey at this point, even though he's almost 40.

I think the Lightning have been wanting to get rid of Filppula's contract for a while now. Frees up cap space for them for next year.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Agree with the bolded.

There has to be more to it than just adding a contract. He may think that he can sell that contract to a team that's needs to expose a contract or lose a player they rather not? That's the only thing that makes sense.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The historical odds of a 6th round draft pick making the NHL are something like 95% against, so realistically it's basically jettisoning some trash.

Rather have a 5% chance to get something than an 100% chance to get nothing if we were to keep him for the rest of the season and then let him walk

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The historical odds of a 6th round draft pick making the NHL are something like 95% against, so realistically it's basically jettisoning some trash.

I realize that sixth round picks are basically nothing. The tiny chance that a sixth round pick could amount to anything is why I said, "Better than nothing." Basically, we traded a player we got off waivers for a likely useless pick. Probably we just broke even but if you want to put a positive spin on it, you could see the sixth round pick as a small net gain.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
It was lose PAP for nothing, improve our draft position and block young guys in the AHL vs. a 6th round pick. If Shero had a better offer he would've taken it. He didn't. PAP was injured and has consistency issues. This is not a Shero issue. It's an indictment of the market.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rather have a 5% chance to get something than an 100% chance to get nothing if we were to keep him for the rest of the season and then let him walk

Ya, I think we all expected more, but it still is better then nothing.

Slight off shoot, and something I talked about a couple days ago, but if we could have gotten a 2019 4th, I would have preferred that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad