Proposal: Parayko for ROR

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
throw in the 2018 2nd(Sabres that is) too and it looks good considering Bogosian is a minus.

I like this idea better obviously. The Blues would then have picks at 29, 32, & 45. It might give them enough ammunition for another deal if Army so desired. With getting Dahlin and Parayko while dumping Bogosian Buffalo probably wouldn’t balk at the ask.

Personally I think Armstrong is somewhat trapped in a corner of having to trade for an impact center. He may very well view Parayko as off limits. Nobody has that kind of information. I don’t think any big name free agents are coming to the Blues. Most likely Army will have to get a trade or two completed.

Reactions: Mike Liut

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
No, this is stupid. We have Robert Thomas, if we don’t get Tavares, then sign stastny or Bozak and KEEP Parayko.

Robert Thomas is going to be an impact player for us next year. Why would we diminish our d-core to get a center when we have Thomas ready to play next year. I know throwing him into the fire in the top 6 maybe isn’t the most ideal situation( tho I believe he’d be fine) but upgrading from Thomas to ROR as 2C is not near worth Parayko and taking on Bogos BRUTAL contract.

Reactions: Colt55

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
So most Buffalo fans say yes, every Blues fan says no except the original poster, and a bunch of neutral fans say no way would the Blues do this. I don't think this trade is as balanced in terms of needs and fills as some have stated.

Reactions: rumrokh

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I tend to think that Parayko is a bit overrated, and O’Reilly underrated, but I’d hesitantly accept this deal because of the Berglund/Bogosian inclusion. Lulz at people making O’Reilly out to be aging out of his prime but Parayko has ‘potential’ to be even better. There is a 2 year age difference. They both are who they are going to be, and both squarely in their primes.

Doug Armstrong isn’t trading Parayko. He’s too proud of that draft pick.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I understand there is a segment of Blues fandom convinced that Robert Thomas is already as good as Ryan O’Reilly. That’s how it is with good prospects on HF Boards.

For those with a less invested view of Thomas, I think it is clear that he is the piece that has to move in any Blues/Sabres O’Reilly deal.

O’Reilly for Thomas and Vince Dunn is pretty much exactly how these types of trades have gone down over the years: a core player under contract and in his prime for two younger pieces; both of which should become solid NHLers, but who also have a chance to be more than that.

Other lesser picks, roster players and contracts (like McCabe or Berglund) can be added to balance value and address particular needs.

It’s a trade that would hurt both sides to make, but in real hockey trades you have to give to get. Each team gets pieces that fit much better with their existing core.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Blues aren't moving Parayko without an internal replacement. Bogosian is worse cap dump than Lehtera, who cost the Blues approximately a 1st rounder to dump.

I understand there is a segment of Blues fandom convinced that Robert Thomas is already as good as Ryan O’Reilly. That’s how it is with good prospects on HF Boards.

For those with a less invested view of Thomas, I think it is clear that he is the piece that has to move in any Blues/Sabres O’Reilly deal.

O’Reilly for Thomas and Vince Dunn is pretty much exactly how these types of trades have gone down over the years: a core player under contract and in his prime for two younger pieces; both of which should become solid NHLers, but who also have a chance to be more than that.

Other lesser picks, roster players and contracts (like McCabe or Berglund) can be added to balance value and address particular needs.

It’s a trade that would hurt both sides to make, but in real hockey trades you have to give to get. Each team gets pieces that fit much better with their existing core.

Blues aren't going to move their top C prospect and a 21yr old defenseman who played well in a top 4 role by the end of his rookie season. Moving just one of them is highly unlikely, but could possibly happen, moving both is absolutely out of the question.

Reactions: 67Blues and rumrokh

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
No, this is stupid. We have Robert Thomas, if we don’t get Tavares, then sign stastny or Bozak and KEEP Parayko.

Robert Thomas is going to be an impact player for us next year. Why would we diminish our d-core to get a center when we have Thomas ready to play next year. I know throwing him into the fire in the top 6 maybe isn’t the most ideal situation( tho I believe he’d be fine) but upgrading from Thomas to ROR as 2C is not near worth Parayko and taking on Bogos BRUTAL contract.
Agree with most of your post, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment with those expectations for Thomas. I'd be ecstatic if Thomas can secure a roster spot and put up 30 points in a sheltered 3rd line role next season.

I tend to think that Parayko is a bit overrated, and O’Reilly underrated, but I’d hesitantly accept this deal because of the Berglund/Bogosian inclusion. Lulz at people making O’Reilly out to be aging out of his prime but Parayko has ‘potential’ to be even better. There is a 2 year age difference. They both are who they are going to be, and both squarely in their primes.

Doug Armstrong isn’t trading Parayko. He’s too proud of that draft pick.
Literally nobody in this thread is doing that.

Lulz at people thinking a dman is fully developed/won't get any better after playing 240 NHL games.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
The Blues season would be over if this trade went through and Pietrangelo suffered any sort of injury. You want Robert Bortuzzo or Jordan Schmaltz playing 20+ minutes a night? If the well was deeper, I'd be ok with this trade but the dang thing is empty. Blues don't have the liberty to trade Parayko away.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
You misspelled "Draisatl".

I would trade Parayko, Berglund, Thompson, the 2018 WPG 1st, and a 2019 2nd to Edmonton for Draisatl and the rights to Darnell Nurse.

But there is no other player in the NHL, realistically speaking, that I would even consider trading him for.

Ok, I *might* be persuaded to deal Parayko to Buffalo for RoR at 50% retained...but we both know that's not happening.

In terms of dealing Parayko, it's Draisatl or bust.
You don’t get Drai and Nurse for that package.
Slip a little counter offer your way: THE Nuge+Matt (right shot) Benning+some dryer lint and an autographed promotional picture of Don Knotts for One Colton Parayko! Square deal?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Solid idea. Let's trade our RD for a probe to injury RD. he'd fit right in. Love ROR but if the Defenseman we are depending on to fill the gap left by Parayko is Bogosian I'd much rather just play Schmaltz there anyways. It's not like Bogo will play the whole year like another 5 players on our team.

ROR is a really good player, I just think for a team needing offense more than anything ROR may not be the right target although he adequately puts up points it's just his defensive capabilities may drive the price up.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Solid idea. Let's trade our RD for a probe to injury RD. he'd fit right in. Love ROR but if the Defenseman we are depending on to fill the gap left by Parayko is Bogosian I'd much rather just play Schmaltz there anyways. It's not like Bogo will play the whole year like another 5 players on our team.

ROR is a really good player, I just think for a team needing offense more than anything ROR may not be the right target although he adequately puts up points it's just his defensive capabilities may drive the price up.
Well... yes, but rightly so. I strongly disagree that a one dimensional "all offense" player is what the Blues need. In my book, you always, always, go for the two way player. Offense doesn't have to come at the expense of defense.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Well... yes, but rightly so. I strongly disagree that a one dimensional "all offense" player is what the Blues need. In my book, you always, always, go for the two way player. Offense doesn't have to come at the expense of defense.

Well what I'm getting at is we should t be ripping apart our core because that is the level of player ROR would essentially be returning. Either that or we gut our pool which I would rather not do that.

Honestly if JT stays home I would much rather make an offer to Bozak in FA as bad as his defense may be, I don't know if TORs system exactly helped that all that much. Regardless we have enough defensively responsible wingers to compensate.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Well what I'm getting at is we should t be ripping apart our core because that is the level of player ROR would essentially be returning. Either that or we gut our pool which I would rather not do that.

Honestly if JT stays home I would much rather make an offer to Bozak in FA as bad as his defense may be, I don't know if TORs system exactly helped that all that much. Regardless we have enough defensively responsible wingers to compensate.
Fair enough, I misunderstood you. I would LOVE ROR, as he fits the Blues system perfectly, but I agree, he is simply too expensive. I don't see a deal with Buffalo. (Unfortunately!). As for Bozak, hmmm ... meh. I would rather make a pitch at Stastny to come back.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Fair enough, I misunderstood you. I would LOVE ROR, as he fits the Blues system perfectly, but I agree, he is simply too expensive. I don't see a deal with Buffalo. (Unfortunately!). As for Bozak, hmmm ... meh. I would rather make a pitch at Stastny to come back.

I really like Stastny as a player. I just think that if he is our only add this summer we are putting a massive weight on our younger guys to take leaps forwards. I really like our core, when healthy. Sadly though, it seems as if Stastny and Schwartz both miss a month each year. Something we aren't able to exactly compensate for unless two of or rookies are impact players and Fabbri returns to form.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Hypothetically if the leafs sign JT how about Kadri for Parayko?

I'm personally not interested. Would much rather sign a UFA than deplete our defense. Kadri is a good player, I just personally don't like him, nor would I have any interest in trading a premium asset for him. Although I'm sure that would be his return. Also, if TOR signs JT I would much rather watch them struggle with cap hell than anything out of spite of not getting JT if he hits the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad