Proposal: Parayko for Palmieri framework

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Without knowing each team's needs, there is just no way this is remotely fair in value. STL hangs up before you can even finish the proposition.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
So the reigning MVP or a recent first overall pick that will be a sixty point two way center at the age of twenty (which as a reference point far exceeds what Sasha Barkov or Nathan MacKinnon did at the same age) for a defenseman who by the age of 24 has never gotten a Norris vote or really even carried his team anywhere?

The OP didn't make much sense since the Blues have plenty of guys that do what Palmieri does, but the counter is beyond laughable.
That guy isn't wrong and he didn't imply there wouldn't be an add on STL's side to get them. He was implying that those are the only two guys on the Devils' roster or prospect pool that move the needle for Parayko.

Reactions: HighNote and Colt55

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Like I said, I dont think this trade makes sense for the blues but you should watch Palmieri play as well.

I don’t think anybody is making judgements based upon Palmieris point production or goal production.

However somebody did try to classify Parayko a defense first defenseman by his point totals when the only thing that is lacking are his assists.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It seems to me that a lot of people don't watch STL and haven't seen how dominant Parayko is in his own zone. You don't trade D like him unless its for an insane overpayment. People laughed at the idea of Nylander + Liljegren + a pick, but you think STL would want a 28 y/o 30 goal scorer instead of that package?

It's funny that the way Parayko is described by STL fans is the same way Slavin is described by CAR fans - neither put up eye-popping numbers, but it's the intangibles and what you don't see on the scoresheet that they all are in love with.

While I don't see a Palms for Parayko trade ever materializing no matter how much is added, those suggesting Parayko is worth a Hall are out to lunch. With Hall out this season, you clearly see why he was MVP last year and means just as much to NJ than McDavid means to EDM.

Parayko, while a very exceptional young D-man, is not that calibre of player.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
It's funny that the way Parayko is described by STL fans is the same way Slavin is described by CAR fans - neither put up eye-popping numbers, but it's the intangibles and what you don't see on the scoresheet that they all are in love with.

While I don't see a Palms for Parayko trade ever materializing no matter how much is added, those suggesting Parayko is worth a Hall are out to lunch. With Hall out this season, you clearly see why he was MVP last year and means just as much to NJ than McDavid means to EDM.

Parayko, while a very exceptional young D-man, is not that calibre of player.
I won't lie and say I'm a Blues fan, but I enjoy watching them play and can absolutely see why STL fans don't want him moved. He's rock solid, hits like a bus, and has a cannon for a shot. That's pretty hard to find in the NHL now, especially one who can actually skate like Parayko.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
That guy isn't wrong and he didn't imply there wouldn't be an add on STL's side to get them. He was implying that those are the only two guys on the Devils' roster or prospect pool that move the needle for Parayko.

If the Blues had to trade Paryako for whatever reason (for example, they didn't turn their season around as impressively as they did) an offer of Ty Smith and Jesper Bratt would be as competitive as what any other team would probably offer. If you're talking about a pure non-fleecing hockey trade like Johanssen for Seth Jones, then you're correct that team aren't a match. Just say that instead.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Again, no one thus far has suggested Parayko is worth Hall 1 for 1, unless Chiarelli took over for Shero when I wasn't paying attention.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
STL says no pretty quickly.

That’s not to say Palmieri isn’t great (because he is) or that he isn’t important to NJ (which he very much is), but Parayko is a young foundational piece for the Blues.

You don’t move players like that for a 28-year-old scorer.

Reactions: Colt55

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Parayko is not a "potential top 2 D" he is a legit top 2D and arguably a #1 on a lot of teams. The only way you even get STL on the phone is if someone named Nico is offered. Even then I'd imagine you'd need to add. Parayko is a big, mean D who plays a smart game and has an absolute cannon. He plays the toughest matchups for STL.

If STL scoffed at the idea of Nylander + for Parayko, something tells me they won't be too inclined trading for a 28 year old 30 goal scorer.

Yeah, Nico Palmieri. That's what he goes by now.

Reactions: CromLeafsFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Colton Parayko + 4 for Kyle Palmieri + 2

Devils get a potential top 2 d man and the blues get a 25-30 goal / 60 pt guy at a measly 4.6mil cap hit for a few more years

You can't seriously think there's a framework here. Palmeri is about two or three rungs lower on the ladder in terms of the tier of player Parayko is value-wise.

New Jersey's comparable, in terms of the tier of player that could reasonably fetch a young, talented top pairing blue liner is Taylor Hall or Hischer. That is where a conversation would begin if the Devils were trying to acquire Colton Parayko.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I dont see why this is getting pooped on. Parayko has 18 points in 55 games. This probably doesnt make sense for the blues, but in terms of player value I dont think it is that far off. It is just about finding trade partners with the appropriate needs.

The fact that you are listing Parayko's point totals illustrates that you don't have a clue what kind of player he is or what it is that makes him valuable.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Like a rabid dog about to be set off his leash :laugh:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Arioch and Colt55

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You can't seriously think there's a framework here. Palmeri is about two or three rungs lower on the ladder in terms of the tier of player Parayko is value-wise.

New Jersey's comparable, in terms of the tier of player that could reasonably fetch a young, talented top pairing blue liner is Taylor Hall or Hischer. That is where a conversation would begin if the Devils were trying to acquire Colton Parayko.

If Shero is not confident in resigning Hall, this is a conversation I think the Devils would be willing to engage in.

Hischier would be a no-go though.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Palmieri would be a good player for the Blues to target. However we don’t have the right movable pieces for him and honestly Jersey shouldn’t trade him.

Our top 6 is very crowded and will be for the foreseeable future however adding that type of a goal scorer is not a dynamic that we have from the right side. We have a fantastic goal scorer in Tarasenko but it’s a completely different style of player.

We don’t have a first. We can’t afford to move Parayko. We can’t afford to move Pietro. Also can’t afford to move Dunn Or Eddy as most of our left side is aging outside of those two.

Maybe if this is revisited before the ED something around Palmieri and Eddy or Dunn could be worked out but I just don’t see us willing to part ways with either even if outside of the past 4/5 games Eddy is having an extremely down season.

Also don’t see why Jersey would move Palmieri for a second pairing defenseman when they could probably chase one in UFA if need be.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
So the reigning MVP or a recent first overall pick that will be a sixty point two way center at the age of twenty (which as a reference point far exceeds what Sasha Barkov or Nathan MacKinnon did at the same age) for a defenseman who by the age of 24 has never gotten a Norris vote or really even carried his team anywhere?

The OP didn't make much sense since the Blues have plenty of guys that do what Palmieri does, but the counter is beyond laughable.

Firstly, MacKinnon was a 60+ point centre at 18. Exceeds Hischier

Secondly, Hall was a 1 for 1 trade for Larsson and Parayko is far superior to him. Hall for Parayko is a lot closer than you think.

Thirdly, the Norris Trophy finalists tend to quite largely based on offensive numbers rather than just defense. He wont be a finalist unless he puts up 50/60 points.

I have just invalidated all your arguments.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I won't lie and say I'm a Blues fan, but I enjoy watching them play and can absolutely see why STL fans don't want him moved. He's rock solid, hits like a bus, and has a cannon for a shot. That's pretty hard to find in the NHL now, especially one who can actually skate like Parayko.

The only reason some Blues fans got a bit frustrated is that he hasn't taken the next step offensively that many hoped he would. And he isn't that physical considering his size, although he seems to be hitting more than in the past. That being said, his all-around game has really developed well. He is just solid in all facets of the game, and when Petro went down for a bit he was more than adequate filling in on the top pair.

Some non-Blues fans may not be aware that Parayko only had a short stint in the AHL after playing college hockey, so he's been kind of developing on the fly. Parayko was never considered a top prospect because he graduated to the pros so quickly, so I think that's why most Blues fans have been pretty patient with him. And we can't really afford to trade him (aside from an overpay) because I think he still can get a lot better. Palmieri is a nice player, but not enough to be the centerpiece for Parayko.

I almost want to un-ignore Colt55 just to see him flip out over this proposal.

Reactions: Colt55

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Colton Parayko + 4 for Kyle Palmieri + 2

Devils get a potential top 2 d man and the blues get a 25-30 goal / 60 pt guy at a measly 4.6mil cap hit for a few more years
Absolutely not. Why would you even think that this is an option. This is by far one of the worst props i have ever seen for parayko. Please show your work so i can try to understand your thinking behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad