News Article: Paraphrased, If we do well Quote: "it’d be unreal to stay.”

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
@HockeyVirus when the Leafs do well this year and he can't pretend to be a fan while dooming the Leafs:

the-mental.gif

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If he said he wants to sign win or lose, people would be complaining about him having a loser mentality and only caring about money.

Reactions: arso40

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
I love Willy, but I don’t think we’re going to pay him what he wants for him to stay.

Even going 8mil+… is tough if we want to keep 34 and 16 on their next contracts while rounding out the team.

We had so much time with the core forwards… but if we don’t win during their contracts after ELC, this is it for Willy I think.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I think what Nylander was basically saying is he knows he’s done with the leafs if they don’t advance past the first round this year. He’s not stupid he sees the writing on the wall.

This guy gets dangled hard @ 1:10 we shouldn't give him more than league min.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I got the vibe that he acknowledged if the team doesnt make a run here, he's the one who would be gone.

Reactions: Kelly

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think what Nylander was basically saying is he knows he’s done with the leafs if they don’t advance past the first round this year. He’s not stupid he sees the writing on the wall.
Yes he is likely repeating what he has heard likely from Keefer/Dubie/Shanny .. there will be core changes without a deep playoff run this year .. but don't assume it is Willy out da door .. folks will likely be very surprised when its likely Mitch .. Matty will be kept regardless of who is in charge at whatever he needs/desires will occur

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't necessarily get the thread title impression from that quote. That said, team success and subsequent re-signings are likely going to resemble something close to a two-way street (as it should be IMO).

Reactions: Once

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm sure he's like the rest of us and just wants to win something

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks if the team fails again this year I'm not sure I want the same cast of characters back anyway

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I've beena big Nylander fan since he was drafted. Paid close attention through his early career. I feel like his took major strides and his body and game, but notice he shies away when the game gets tough and gritty (in other words when the other team plays like they want it more) he backs off... He might feel like he's an $11m player but has yet to show it in consistency like Matthews and Marner. He gets points in the playoffs but let's remember he is also facing the weaker competition instead of the line up that's trying to shut down Matthews and Marner. I will 100% believe he is worth every penny of an $11m player if he just used his body like Matthews has learned to use or atleast show he can take a hit to make a play "consistently". If he wants the Leafs to win in the playoffs he needs to then channel the playoff type spirit and battle (I still cringe at him giving up the puck to avoid a check in the PO).

Maybe the migraines made him hesitate because he does have a concussion in his past, and maybe the visor helps give him more confidence , we'll find out this season, but to me he is a 7m player and shouldn't be paid a penny more than that right now. This whole team in fact shouldn't deserve any raises aside from Matthews (for incredible franchisee numbers) until they show up in the playoffs and when a round.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
This whole team in fact shouldn't deserve any raises aside from Matthews
I will have to agree Marner at 28 years old is ridiculous if he wants much higher than he already makes for 8 years. Nylander will be capped at Forsbergs 8.5 with a Fiala floor, and I have no problem going into Tkachuks 9.5 range if Nylander either 1.) Back to back 40 goals or 2.) One of his next two seasons is a 95-100+ point season. So I'm not really worried about Nylander.

Nylander is actually pretty sensible when it comes to contracts contrary to popular belief. Last year he said he knows he wasn't worth his ask at the exact point in time, he projected himself to grow into what he asked for. His accuracy was 100%. Hence I don't see his next raise being anything too ridiculous since he will be 28 years old and there's not much projecting left to do. He will be bounded by market value only with zero potential $ left, and I am sure he will be sensible about it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think the thread title has to be changed to match the content of the article.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yes he is likely repeating what he has heard likely from Keefer/Dubie/Shanny .. there will be core changes without a deep playoff run this year .. but don't assume it is Willy out da door .. folks will likely be very surprised when its likely Mitch .. Matty will be kept regardless of who is in charge at whatever he needs/desires will occur
Except Matthews will be gone, as he wants to go live and play in the US.

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I've beena big Nylander fan since he was drafted. Paid close attention through his early career. I feel like his took major strides and his body and game, but notice he shies away when the game gets tough and gritty (in other words when the other team plays like they want it more) he backs off... He might feel like he's an $11m player but has yet to show it in consistency like Matthews and Marner. He gets points in the playoffs but let's remember he is also facing the weaker competition instead of the line up that's trying to shut down Matthews and Marner. I will 100% believe he is worth every penny of an $11m player if he just used his body like Matthews has learned to use or atleast show he can take a hit to make a play "consistently". If he wants the Leafs to win in the playoffs he needs to then channel the playoff type spirit and battle (I still cringe at him giving up the puck to avoid a check in the PO).

Maybe the migraines made him hesitate because he does have a concussion in his past, and maybe the visor helps give him more confidence , we'll find out this season, but to me he is a 7m player and shouldn't be paid a penny more than that right now. This whole team in fact shouldn't deserve any raises aside from Matthews (for incredible franchisee numbers) until they show up in the playoffs and when a round.
Everyone will get a raise because salaries are tied to cap hits.

Otherwise they are taking pay cuts.

Except Matthews will be gone, as he wants to go live and play in the US.
lol

Link?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

I doubt that very much.

Reactions: Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad