News Article: Paraphrased, If we do well Quote: "it’d be unreal to stay.”

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Define "when the Leafs do well this year"

Is that regular season/personal accolades again? Or will it include the post season this time?
There’s a difference between homerism and optimism. I suggest you figure out where each is because you’re embarrassing yourself

• Haha
Reactions: Stamkos4life

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Reads more or less like anyone would say in his position. I wouldn't read too much into trying to dissect his specific wording either. The guy likely forgot about the conversation an hour afterwards

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnie97

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I love Willy, but I don’t think we’re going to pay him what he wants for him to stay.

Even going 8mil+… is tough if we want to keep 34 and 16 on their next contracts while rounding out the team.

We had so much time with the core forwards… but if we don’t win during their contracts after ELC, this is it for Willy I think.
How is it tough?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Matthews is major priority, over Nylander when it comes to an extension next Summer. See how talks go early next off-season and if the number is too high you move him for fair value, if you can't get fair value you let it play out.
You cannot get nothing for him....you must trade him asap. Once again he threatens to leave, he must go. Would you rather have traded him Sandin and bucket of pucks for Hubedeau or Kadri. I would in a heart beat.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If he's taking advice from his dad, and I assume he is, isn't this the contract where Michael went full mercenary? I would not be surprised one bit to see Nylander test the open market when this contract expires.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If he's taking advice from his dad, and I assume he is, isn't this the contract where Michael went full mercenary? I would not be surprised one bit to see Nylander test the open market when this contract expires.

But then he'd miss all the supportive fans in Toronto.

I would guess it really will be determined in the future.

If he feels he would be better off elsewhere he should go there.

Only get one NHL career, so it is up to the player to get the best they can, whether that is all about money, or teammates, or management, it should be about happiness.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Willy's comment has nothing negative in it. The writer is the one attempting to put a negative spin on the remark.

The thread title is even more inaccurate and negative.

Reactions: arso40 and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Except Matthews will be gone, as he wants to go live and play in the US.
Issue no 1 for Matty is maximizing his total pay package bottom line .. Leafs will go up to max offer at 20% of CAP next summer .. 16.7M AAV .. he signs it for 8 years .. if he takes less great but unlikely .. no need for Leafs to take a risk or Matty to take a risk .. that said does not mean he is not traded at some point down da line

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Were people expecting a different answer ? If this team can win the cup, of course he'd like to stay. If they continue to fail, can you fault him for wanting to play elsewhere ? We all hope he'll re-sign but every UFA has the right to explore options, not gonna cry about it like some fan bases do when their stars leave. Still have a couple years before he hits FA, I believe management recognizes this. I am fully expecting Dubas/Shanahan to go all in this year, it just makes too much sense not too. Expiring contracts for our young stars with a declining Atlantic division, nows the time to do it.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If they get out of the 1st round and even make it far, like day conference or Cup final, he's going nowhere, just like Dubas, Keefe, etc.

If they're out in the first round again he's likely gone via trade.

His answer seems to be reading the tea leaves and the gravity of the situation. Team success will factor on him being here long term

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I find Nylander's comments not surprising. He would love to stay if they go deep...funny from a guy who isnt sure himself when he wants to show up for a game. Playoff hockey exposes Nylander for being a soft guy terrified to go into the corners. Nylander should have been traded 4-5 yrs ago when his stock was high. He is what he is now, u will never get everything out of this player, thats who he is. He could win the Art Ross but chooses to get 80 points with little chemistry with his line mates, disappears for 35 games a season. His point totals are pretty impressive, given that his compete level is below average.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Personally I would trade him but if Dubas caves I hope he doesn't pay him any more than:

$7M for his offensive skills
$0M for his defensive skills and "heart"
$7M total

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Personally I would trade him but if Dubas caves I hope he doesn't pay him any more than:

$7M total
Quick, name the second highest scoring Leaf the last 3 playoffs combined?

Reactions: bax and Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

$7M total
He's going to get more than that but he does seem like the likeliest candidate to be moved if they are looking to rebalance the roster.

ChadBigly

May 5, 2021
You guys are reading this all wrong.

He clearly says the chances of Toronto winning is unreal, as in not real at all.

Therefore he would like to stay to prove winning is neither real or unreal. Rather, it is all interconnected and interchangeable and that his hair seems to respond well to Toronto water.

You’re welcome.
Schroedinger's winning

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Issue no 1 for Matty is maximizing his total pay package bottom line .. Leafs will go up to max offer at 20% of CAP next summer .. 16.7M AAV .. he signs it for 8 years .. if he takes less great but unlikely .. no need for Leafs to take a risk or Matty to take a risk .. that said does not mean he is not traded at some point down da line
Then he doesn't care about winning, and I don't want him here.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad