Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
yup. But it was pretty close to 100% anyway since just trading Marner is still running back the core. Although without him they not even make the playoffs.
No offense but this line of thinking Ive seen in here is absurd. I guess if we just leave his 11+ milly in the bank and dont use it at all but even then I say we make the playoffs and in the playoffs we will not miss marner.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So you're saying everyone/everything else is to blame but them for their subpar (and often horrible) playoff performances? Got it.

And the "narrative" is what it is because these guys wrote it. We have a proven 8-year sample size to support it. I know they're the "gods of Toronto" according to Marner himself, but the excuses and deflecting are embarrassing at this point tbh. 8 years. Eight.

How am I saying they’re not to blame, they can’t finish simple passes and shots and can’t put up the offense we’re paying them for. They can’t do anything on the PP. The losses are mostly on them, having them gritgrind and sacrifice more and be gudder pros wouldn’t solve a thing though. We need the video game one timers to go in like every other team has, I couldn’t give a shit how much blood sweat and tears is involved in that as long as the shot is going in.

Reactions: myleafs

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No one is talking about penalties. I'm using Berbube's exact words at the presser. He wants a heavy north game. He want fast and robust players like he had in St. Louis

Also the statement that the Blues weren't rough and tumble is insane. They were a disciplined team sure but just go ask Bruins fans what they thought of the Blues physical play in the finals
Yup they were crying for a suspension on Bozak of all people

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That’s the take away I get too. If he wants a Heavy North Game and a fast team, those words really don’t describe MM, JT and Robbie
He may find he is coaching the wrong team. Sounds quite similar to what Babcock demanded and the same core exist almost a decade later.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so embarrassing.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
First, we're talking about 2C not 1C, and second, he's played centre everywhere except as a Leaf, so it's not "teaching him a new position", or converting him.
He was a center 10 years ago so its new to him. Lots of players come up at C like Kessel did and have their careers on the wing. A guy can be a successful amateur center on pure skill and not be capable at the NHL level. If he had shown that potential he would have pushed JT to the wing two years ago. I sort of get what you mean about the #1 vs #2 except they are paying him $11.5M to produce at a 100 point clip so they expect him to play at a top line potential. Like Malkin as a #2 C.

Reactions: studebaker17

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Berube alluded to the fact that he's already started to see the change in culture and team play that he wants to implement based on the players Treliving has brought in.

Here's the Players Trelivng has brought in:

Tyler Bertuzzi
Max Domi
Simon Benoit
Ryan Reaves
Noah Gregor
Joel Edmundson
Connor Dewar

Outside of John Klingberg, there's clearly a type of player Tre likes. It's only gonna get enhanced with Berube here

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He was a center 10 years ago so its new to him. Lots of players come up at C like Kessel did and have their careers on the wing. A guy can be a successful amateur center on pure skill and not be capable at the NHL level. If he had shown that potential he would have pushed JT to the wing two years ago. I sort of get what you mean about the #1 vs #2 except they are paying him $11.5M to produce at a 100 point clip so they expect him to play at a top line potential. Like Malkin as a #2 C.
Id love Nylander to be able to play center as he has the skills but for me the few times he did he didnt look comfortable at all. A lot more responsibility.

Reactions: studebaker17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He may find he is coaching the wrong team. Sounds quite similar to what Babcock demanded and the same core exist almost a decade later.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so embarrassing.
That’s different bc when Babs coached, the guys were young and coming up. And Babs did played the possession style like Keefe.
Babs wanted to move the puck as quick as possible out of the Dzone, hence, we kept complaining about the stretch pass, lol.
Also, the belief was that the kids-AM, MM, Willie, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Kap and AJ are all going to shape into players with high compete and high skill.
Then Marleau happened and derailed everything.
JT was the icing on the cake as everyone thought the kids can learn lessons from him but it ends up JT was the one learning lessons.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Berube alluded to the fact that he's already started to see the change in culture and team play that he wants to implement based on the players Treliving has brought in.

Here's the Players Trelivng has brought in:

Tyler Bertuzzi
Max Domi
Simon Benoit
Ryan Reaves
Joel Edmundson
Connor Dewar

Outside of John Klingberg, there's clearly a type of player Tre likes. It's only gonna get enhanced with Berube here

Between the whistles a lot of these guys play differently, Domi being the best of the bunch and also the biggest outlier as he is skills only.

He also signed Kampf as a UFA.

You also missed a bunch of guys he signed like Holmberg, Samsanov, and Gregor.

When looking at the list, the UFAs were a lot of the biggest names, that is what I noticed.

If he is signing guys who will fight, that is just idiotic, so I hope that's not what you are implying.

What is the type of player here?

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I've wanted Gallant to be the coach for a few years. Ever since he took the VGK to the final in their first year. But the more I learned about him the less I liked the idea. Lots of stories from fans of his teams that didn't sound right.

I'm really happy with this Berube hire. If they brought in the wrong guy now it would be devastating.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No offense but this line of thinking Ive seen in here is absurd. I guess if we just leave his 11+ milly in the bank and dont use it at all but even then I say we make the playoffs and in the playoffs we will not miss marner.
I guess these posters don’t have a very high opinion of Matthews and Nylander. I guess they are complete garbage and should probably make about 1 million a year if Marner is the only reason.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Between the whistles a lot of these guys play differently, Domi being the best of the bunch and also the biggest outlier as he is skills only.

He also signed Kampf as a UFA.

You also missed a bunch of guys he signed like Holmberg, Samsanov, and Gregor.

When looking at the list, the UFAs were a lot of the biggest names, that is what I noticed.

If he is signing guys who will fight, that is just idiotic, so I hope that's not what you are implying.

What is the type of player here?
Heavyness just doesn't allude to fighting.

All those players play with grit, physicality and compete. They have attitude to them. And you're, right, Gregor also fits that group and I forgot about him.

Kampf was one of those players he re-signed because he didn't want to lose every player from the team that went to the 2nd rd. He even tried to keep kerfoot and holl because he didn't want to come in and change everything right away.

It clear now that he will impose his style on the team. I expect Kampf to be traded

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Heavyness just doesn't allude to fighting.

All those players play with grit, physicality and compete. They have attitude to them. And you're, right, Gregor also fits that group and I forgot about him.

Kampf was one of those players he re-signed because he didn't want to lose every player from the team that went to the 2nd rd. He even tried to keep kerfoot and holl because he didn't want to come in and change everything right away.

It clear now that he will impose his style on the team. I expect Kampf to be traded

Domi was the best and least like you described... Domi hits less than Marner... he just sucker-punches guys sometimes.

If Treliving's goal is to punch people more and win that way, he should re-evaluate.

The teams left in the playoffs do not fit the description of the players he is trying to bring in.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Domi was the best and least like you described... Domi hits less than Marner... he just sucker-punches guys sometimes.

If Treliving's goal is to punch people more and win that way, he should re-evaluate.

The teams left in the playoffs do not fit the description of the players he is trying to bring in.
Rnagers, Panthers and Oilers all fit that description.

Sounds like you were a Dubas and Keefe guy. Im sorry to say, guys like Kerfoot and Holl ain't coming back

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Rnagers, Panthers and Oilers all fit that description.

Sounds like you were a Dubas and Keefe guy. Im sorry to say, guys like Kerfoot and Holl ain't coming back

I'll give you the Panthers, although they aren't the toughest/grittiest/whatever other buzzwords, but they have a good mix of that.

Rangers and Oilers certainly are not what you say they are, nor is Dallas.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'll give you the Panthers, although they aren't the toughest/grittiest/whatever other buzzwords, but they have a good mix of that.

Rangers and Oilers certainly are not what you say they are, nor is Dallas.
Dallas definitely isn't, hence why I never mentioned them.

The Rangers and Oilers def are. Just look at their starting lineup from top to bottom, lots of physicality and grit in both of those rosters. Rangers vs Panthers will be a war.

Also, the Panthers might be the toughest team in the league if you just go off stats. They led the league in Hits and are one of the highest penalty minutes teams.

Not that I'm advocating for more penalties, but your narrative that no team left in the playoffs plays the style Trelivivng wants is just wrong

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dallas definitely isn't, hence why I never mentioned them.

The Rangers and Oilers def are. Just look at their starting lineup from top to bottom, lots of physicality and grit in both of those rosters. Rangers vs Panthers will be a war.

Also, the Panthers might be the toughest team in the league if you just go off stats. They led the league in Hits and are one of the highest penalty minutes teams.

Not that I'm advocating for more penalties, but your narrative that no team left in the playoffs plays the style Trelivivng wants is just wrong

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 12.01.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 12.01.50 PM.png

I just want to check... Do you think this is a physical lineup?

This is less physical than the Leafs...

The Panthers aren't the toughest team in the league by the way, there are a few tougher ones for sure, most of them not in the playoffs because toughness doesn't win games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
heck I am interested in what ROR and Schenn said in their exit interviews last year. the writing was on the wall post habs series but certain someone refused to acknowledge it.
I wonder if Chief ask ROR about his time with the Leafs prior to accepting the coaching position, I’m sure getting ROR’s opinion would have been helpful……..

Pelley seems like the biggest weasel possible. Can't believe this is ownerships "guy". Well actually I guess I can because theyre awful at running this org.
Consistently awful……..

Why do we care about other teams again?
Exactly……

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I dont get it....again who cares about the other teams. I only care about the leafs but for arguments sake, every team that gets knocked out has fans who complain about something...go take a look. Some canuck fans are blaming the 3rd string goalie.
Imagine having a goalie as good as the Nuck’s third stringer……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad