News Article: Paraphrased, If we do well Quote: "it’d be unreal to stay.”

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Funny that people just assume Nylander will go wherever the money is because his dad was that way. If anything, the constant moving around and changing cities/teams to chase more money probably had a negative impact on Nylander's childhood and he could very well value the stability, and he does seem to love Toronto. If the rumours of him wanting a Forsberg type of contract are true then we should get it done and call it a day.

I definitely felt its an unfair comparison. The two men, have ultimately had very different careers so far/found themselves in different situations. I think there's even a quote from a bit ago where Nylander mentions how he liked playing in a consistent place like Toronto

Reactions: arso40 and Sypher04

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander, with the numbers that you just mentioned, may feel like he has the talent, or at least wants a chance to 'be the guy'. Not only get money, but he wants to be on the first PP unit all of the time, wants to be the guy they are feeding the puck to when down by 1 goal late in the 3rd, etc. He is NOT going to be that on the current team. Maybe he just wants a chance in that role with the spotlight on him.
Entirely possible, and I'm not sure I'd blame him.

On the other hand, if Marner gets traded, it's quite possible that he gets all of that, maybe without all the money.

Reactions: arso40

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Those big money contracts were all based on future expectations, not past performance.

But when these guys negotiate their next contract, it will be based on past performance, not expectations. These guys will all be getting paid for the same performance twice. When the time comes, Gross will sit down with Treliving and point out Nylander's production and demand the moon and the stars and the sun itself.

Should Treliving mention that Nylander is passing his prime, that his performance is expected to decrease throughout the length of his new contract, Gross will simply say "So what? There's 31 other GM's in the league willing to pay for this bum."

And Treliving will bend over the barrel once again.

I hope Gross lights a smoke for him after at least.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Johnson on why Leafs can’t walk Nylander to free agency, whether Keefe gets an extension before next season, and more - TSN.ca

TSN Hockey Analyst Mike Johnson joins First Up to discuss the latest news from around the NHL. Johnson shares his thoughts on whether other NHL teams might try to mimic the Golden Knights’ aggressive trading tendencies, why the Maple Leafs cannot walk William Nylander to free agency even if it means having to trade him, whether Sheldon Keefe will receive an extension if he returns to coach the Maple Leafs next season, and more.

United35

Jan 16, 2021
It would be refreshing if Nylander turned down the Worlds after the NHL playoffs for a change…

You know….leave it all out on the ice and actually get some bumps and bruises along the way.. so if that time comes it’s an easy no…. Not just when you realize you’d be taking your brothers roster spot.

I’d rather have a player that doesn’t have lowlight flybys that go hand in hand with his Highlights if it’s a net gain of zero at the end of the day what’s the point?

27…. It’s fair to say what you see is what you get. He’s a complimentary winger and we can’t afford to pay him what he will get on the open market. He doesn’t drive a line on his own. He’s played with Matthews and Tavares for the majority of his time in the blue and white and has been apart of all the playoff failures

Thanks for the time and best of luck on your next NHL team.

Reactions: notdoneyet

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
It would be refreshing if Nylander turned down the Worlds after the NHL playoffs for a change…

You know….leave it all out on the ice and actually get some bumps and bruises along the way.. so if that time comes it’s an easy no…. Not just when you realize you’d be taking your brothers roster spot.

I’d rather have a player that doesn’t have lowlight flybys that go hand in hand with his Highlights if it’s a net gain of zero at the end of the day what’s the point?

27…. It’s fair to say what you see is what you get. He’s a complimentary winger and we can’t afford to pay him what he will get on the open market. He doesn’t drive a line on his own. He’s played with Matthews and Tavares for the majority of his time in the blue and white and has been apart of all the playoff failures

Thanks for the time and best of luck on your next NHL team.
Wtf are you watching ?? Complementary winger??? Did you watch the games at all he was second on the leafs I’m pretty sure in total chances generated and marner wasn’t first does that mean marners a complementary two way forward?? He scored 40 goals getting the shit end of the sticc on some nights demoted to pp2 limited ice time the sad part is your probably not the only person who thinks that way very sad he’s a first line winger period and far from complementary

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sad state of team but Willy is our best all round skater, speed/change gears, shot and stickhandler .. none of JT or Mitch or Matty can come close to hanging with Willy when he hits 5th gear .. but ultimately da man lacks courage .. seems like each one of our key forwards is LACKING in 1 or more key hockey skills .. sad state .. but we all need to recognize we don't have an all round all everything player like a MAC

Reactions: myleafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sad state of team but Willy is our best all round skater, speed/change gears, shot and stickhandler .. none of JT or Mitch or Matty can come close to hanging with Willy when he hits 5th gear .. but ultimately da man lacks courage .. seems like each one of our key forwards is LACKING in 1 or more key hockey skills .. sad state .. but we all need to recognize we don't have an all round all everything player like a MAC
The lack of speed and quickness was quite evident in the playoffs. I assumed we’d hear about injuries after they were eliminated, but there was nothing. I still think Matthews has something wrong that affected his skating.

Tough decisions have to be made.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The lack of speed and quickness was quite evident in the playoffs. I assumed we’d hear about injuries after they were eliminated, but there was nothing. I still think Matthews has something wrong that affected his skating.

Tough decisions have to be made.
I don't see this group of 4 together ever doing anything together .. to me it is a automatic that team needs to switch out at least 2 of them and redistribute CAP to other areas of team which will help more in playoffs .. i would keep Matty and Willy myself .. matty i would put on a massive DIET so he plays around 200 lbs .. he slows down too much when up around 230 .. Willy needs a bodyguard on his line to help him with his courage .. anyone F8cks with Willy and they need to know they are losing 2 teeth asap .. if that doesn't help him then i would trade him too as raw skill is important but not if you can't apply it .. with JT it is a move to wing and then league min for as long as he can put up 50 points/year .. mitch can't be fixed .. he has played same game his entire life and it won't ever change .. he just doesn't have another gear with that awful stride he has

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don't see this group of 4 together ever doing anything together .. to me it is a automatic that team needs to switch out at least 2 of them and redistribute CAP to other areas of team which will help more in playoffs .. i would keep Matty and Willy myself .. matty i would put on a massive DIET so he plays around 200 lbs .. he slows down too much when up around 230 .. Willy needs a bodyguard on his line to help him with his courage .. anyone F8cks with Willy and they need to know they are losing 2 teeth asap .. if that doesn't help him then i would trade him too as raw skill is important but not if you can't apply it .. with JT it is a move to wing and then league min for as long as he can put up 50 points/year .. mitch can't be fixed .. he has played same game his entire life and it won't ever change .. he just doesn't have another gear with that awful stride he has
Bracco was also close to his level according to you

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bracco was also close to his level according to you
You have no idear about Jeremy .. I don't want to get into mental health and drug issues here .. it is not forum to discuss .. for those of us who knew both kids from time they couldn't piss straight we know .. just another sad hockey story to rest of you

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s hard to imagine those guys winning. NYR goes deep one year and then they decide to get rid of Reaves. He doesn’t make bad teams good, good teams great, but he sure keeps people honest.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's funny how our top players say they will stay if we have playoff success but they never have .
It's because of you that we can't build a team .
They still haven't realized they need to give more in the playoffs.

Our top six is to soft period.

Its crazy if you think about it. Us not having playoff success is directly the result of "top guys" not delivering in playoffs.

some may see that as a chicken and an egg problem; i see this as chicken shit problem. Time to man up for these guys and take some freakin responsibility

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Willy making 7 (or even 9 or 10) isn't the problem with our D and bottom 6. That has much more to do with JT and Mitch making 22.

Agreed!

Cannot even buyout tavares what a shit contract seriously. We don't gain much buying him out

1686865123229.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Was reading that his agent's starting point is the Filip Forsberg deal as comparison.

8 years/$68 million

ask him to shave 4 million to have 8 years at 64 million and then use some offshore shell company to pay his rent/food/etc. for the duration he is with the Leafs with 500K each year deposited anonymously in his bank account ;)

Reactions: BallardEra

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Funny that people just assume Nylander will go wherever the money is because his dad was that way. If anything, the constant moving around and changing cities/teams to chase more money probably had a negative impact on Nylander's childhood and he could very well value the stability, and he does seem to love Toronto. If the rumours of him wanting a Forsberg type of contract are true then we should get it done and call it a day.

if Nylander can sign that deal for 8 years we will not only have external comparables for Matthews/Marner (Tkachuk, MacKinnon, etc.) but an internal comparable in Nylander. And given Matthews' season last year and Marner's asshatry in playoffs may be these 2 think if Willy is taking that deal we should take a better deal too and give this team a discount.

If not I'd prefer one of matthews/marner to be gone. ideally marner but marner's nmc kicks in ; in 15 days he will have all the leverage.

Treliving needs to work fast!

United35

Jan 16, 2021
Wtf are you watching ?? Complementary winger??? Did you watch the games at all he was second on the leafs I’m pretty sure in total chances generated and marner wasn’t first does that mean marners a complementary two way forward?? He scored 40 goals getting the shit end of the sticc on some nights demoted to pp2 limited ice time the sad part is your probably not the only person who thinks that way very sad he’s a first line winger period and far from complementary

I’m not saying to buy him out, or sell him for a crap package, but if he doesn’t want to be here…. Good bye.

Furthermore, If you want to build around Nylander at 27 for 7/8 years be my guest.

Personally I don’t. I would build around defence and centres first. Wingers are the easiest to get lol.

So, this begs the question, WTF kind of team building have you been watching?

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Its crazy if you think about it. Us not having playoff success is directly the result of "top guys" not delivering in playoffs.

some may see that as a chicken and an egg problem; i see this as chicken shit problem. Time to man up for these guys and take some freakin responsibility

Yep. None of them deserve a raise. More money won't make them more effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad