News Article: Paraphrased, If we do well Quote: "it’d be unreal to stay.”

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The one thing I never rode Dubas too hard far. Hard to walk away from JT in his position.

But I hear ya.
It was marner extension .mathews and maener are 2 different players .
The very worst thing for leafs fans is to run it all back and have mediocre season

This conference is better I expect every team that made playoffs to lose 6-8 more games this year
Somebody I'd gonna end up looking like a donkey GM

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Just out of curiosity, if Tre brings back the same core. Will you watch the team? Nothing will have changed.
It wouldn't be ideal. But yes. I said call me when Dubas is gone and that time has come :)

When your leader is that guy....you got no chance.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I disagree - JT signed before Willy, and for a much larger (and much worse) deal - his contract set the tone for the entire train wreck.
But that one was obvious though if dubes decided to invest in marner and Willy the year before their contracts expired we wouldn’t be in this mess but rookie mistake by a learn on the job him right

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner was for sure and I don’t see Willy coming out of his etc not willing to for the big increase I think marner wanted something like 8 before Tavares got signed

I think i heard the same. Amazing how they wrecked the cap on this team lol

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think i heard the same. Amazing how they wrecked the cap on this team lol
Dubes the rookie helped delay the greatness we should have achieved a couple years ago we had a team now we have the core four and I’m not including the 11 million dollar anchor

Reactions: thewave

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Marner was for sure and I don’t see Willy coming out of his etc not willing to for the big increase I think marner wanted something like 8 before Tavares got signed
Not disbelieving you but can you (or anyone for that matter)give me a link? This was always a big point of contention back when it was taking place. I never heard anything.

Reactions: freshwind

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dubes the rookie helped delay the greatness we should have achieved a couple years ago we had a team now we have the core four and I’m not including the 11 million dollar anchor

I’m not a Dubas fan but this thought is so dumb. The cap didn’t do shit. The players are still the players. It doesn’t matter whether they have lower cap hits or higher cap hits. They would still be who they are and we’d most likely still be in the same situation because they can’t perform when it counts. A 2/3 million dollar reduction in cap hit isn’t going to help that. The problem isn’t the money, it’s the fact that this core just simply doesn’t have it in them to succeed. You need to change one or two of the players.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
It wouldn't be ideal. But yes. I said call me when Dubas is gone and that time has come :)

When your leader is that guy....you got no chance.
Fair enough! I'm not that old, but this has definitely not been the worst time in my Leafs life haha.

The Burke/Nonis time period was far worse than this. 2 firsts and a second for Kessel. Sigh what a waste.

Right after the lockout was bad too because of the age of the team, and the fact that they couldn't buy competitiveness anymore.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I’m not a Dubas fan but this thought is so dumb. The cap didn’t do shit. The players are still the players. It doesn’t matter whether they have lower cap hits or higher cap hits. They would still be who they are and we’d most likely still be in the same situation because they can’t perform when it counts. A 2/3 million dollar reduction in cap hit isn’t going to help that. The problem isn’t the money, it’s the fact that this core just simply doesn’t have it in them to succeed. You need to change one or two of the players.
My friend the cap isn’t the issue every player we had could have signed for less cause there was no 11 mil benchmark set and we would still have the hymans and browns of the world kadri would have just left and we would have a better defence core that’s a fact I don’t know even know what your saying right now we had a roster full of good players not plug and play guys

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
My friend the cap isn’t the issue every player we had could have signed for less cause there was no 11 mil benchmark set and we would still have the hymans and browns of the world kadri would have just left and we would have a better defence core that’s a fact I don’t know even know what your saying right now we had a roster full of good players not plug and play guys

We had a few runs with those players you’ve mentioned and still lost. What I’m saying is the depth has never been the issue for the leafs in the playoffs. The issue is core guys under perform in the playoffs. That has nothing to do with the cap or their cap hits. That has everything to do with their play.

To sum up, it doesn’t matter who you surround these guys with if they (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) do not step up and perform. It’s not a cap issue, it’s a player personnel issue. The cap structure isn’t the issue. If you were to replace Matthews or Marner with comparable players who can perform this cap structure would work.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We had a few runs with those players you’ve mentioned and still lost. What I’m saying is the depth has never been the issue for the leafs in the playoffs. The issue is core guys under perform in the playoffs. That has nothing to do with the cap or their cap hits. That has everything to do with their play.

To sum up, it doesn’t matter who you surround these guys with if they (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) do not step up and perform. It’s not a cap issue, it’s a player personnel issue. The cap structure isn’t the issue. If you were to replace Matthews or Marner with comparable players who can perform this cap structure would work.
The players we lost were difference makers the players we kept were entering their prime so expect the next couple years to be their best it would be better with them entering their prime with better support players and not an 11 mil anchor who’s on the decline you get it?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The players we lost were difference makers the players we kept were entering their prime so expect the next couple years to be their best it would be better with them entering their prime with better support players and not an 11 mil anchor who’s on the decline you get it?

Zach Hyman isn’t the Zach Hyman we now know if he stays in Toronto. He’s been the beneficiary of playing with McDavid who’s style matches Zach Hyman’s style of play. I don’t think his game raises like it has if he’s playing with Matthews.

Connor Brown would have been nice to keep but he’s no better or worse than some of the depth guys we have now.

Kadri I feel could have been a difference maker for us. But again he wasn’t traded due to cap. He was traded because organization gave up on him after two suspensions. In our initial deal with Colorado we took on MORE cap space in that deal.

We could have kept Kadri for the remainder of his contract prior to his UFA status. Keerfoot made 3.5, Kadri made 4.5. He would have fit under our cap structure easily.

Reactions: Sypher04

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Marner offered to sign 8.5 x 8 the year prior, Dubas refused.
not doubting you but the dubas haters quote this all the time, problem is where does the quote come from? do we actually know this or is it speculation?
also the timing? the dubasites also claim these numbers were bandied about when marner was a 60 point scorer ...
not taking either side but really would honestly like to know where this comes from

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
not doubting you but the dubas haters quote this all the time, problem is where does the quote come from? do we actually know this or is it speculation?
also the timing? the dubasites also claim these numbers were bandied about when marner was a 60 point scorer ...
not taking either side but really would honestly like to know where this comes from

I definitely don’t believe that was a definite fact. Hard to say for sure whether it was really ever on the table. There were contradictory reports saying Marner didn’t want to talk deal until after the following season, with his production trending upward and knowing Tavares was joining and he would be his likely linemate all year. Who honestly knows where the truth lies

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know that you'll find a quote anywhere, it's common knowledge for some.
Whether it's believed or not is up to the individual.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It comes from one person randomly claiming it out of nowhere on here, despite zero evidence or source, and despite it contradicting everything that was actually reported about the negotiations. Then it spread because some people wished it were true.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Zach Hyman isn’t the Zach Hyman we now know if he stays in Toronto. He’s been the beneficiary of playing with McDavid who’s style matches Zach Hyman’s style of play. I don’t think his game raises like it has if he’s playing with Matthews.

Connor Brown would have been nice to keep but he’s no better or worse than some of the depth guys we have now.

Kadri I feel could have been a difference maker for us. But again he wasn’t traded due to cap. He was traded because organization gave up on him after two suspensions. In our initial deal with Colorado we took on MORE cap space in that deal.

We could have kept Kadri for the remainder of his contract prior to his UFA status. Keerfoot made 3.5, Kadri made 4.5. He would have fit under our cap structure easily.
For sure but in kadris case they felt he wasn’t available when we needed and the fact we had jt playing 2c it would give us some relief to get a 3c and save a mil to put towards a “1d” bad assessment I believe that was part of the reason behind it if not the soul reason but to ignore the fact that jt was a luxury we didn’t need and the reason behind the cap restraint would be asanine though I agree with some of your points

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
More goals than Marner and more assists than Matthews, with less ES and PP ice time, and mostly stuck with Tavares as a centre on the second line.

Johnny Gaudreau, Phil Kessel, Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Patrick Kane, and Teemu Selanne all have fewer hits per 60 than Nylander.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was sufficiently fed up with his treatment here that he decided to try free agency, nor would I blame him, but I'd much rather trade Marner.

Last edited by a moderator:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Funny that people just assume Nylander will go wherever the money is because his dad was that way. If anything, the constant moving around and changing cities/teams to chase more money probably had a negative impact on Nylander's childhood and he could very well value the stability, and he does seem to love Toronto. If the rumours of him wanting a Forsberg type of contract are true then we should get it done and call it a day.

Reactions: Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How do you explain his Dad then?
He is not as bad a guy as people make him out to be from my limited experience at Mississauga steelheads .. nothing wrong with trying to get as much as you can .. my point was Matty and Mitch came from nothing so they are trying to create family wealth .. Willy and Michael come from silver spoon $$$ .. no dog days at Stockholm mansion

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
More goals than Marner and more assists than Matthews, with less ES and PP ice time, and mostly stuck with Tavares as a centre on the second line.

Johnny Gaudreau, Phil Kessel, Jack Hughes, Quinn Hughes, Patrick Kane, and Teemu Selanne all have fewer hits per 60 than Nylander.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was sufficiently fed up with his treatment here that he decided to try free agency, nor would I blame him, but I'd much rather trade Marner.
Nylander, with the numbers that you just mentioned, may feel like he has the talent, or at least wants a chance to 'be the guy'. Not only get money, but he wants to be on the first PP unit all of the time, wants to be the guy they are feeding the puck to when down by 1 goal late in the 3rd, etc. He is NOT going to be that on the current team. Maybe he just wants a chance in that role with the spotlight on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad