Speculation: Papa Marleau

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I agree in the slim chance that he would want to leave, SJ is the only place that would interest him.

Dubas doesn't make the lineup, Babcock does.
His cap hit is there no matter what line he is on. Scratching him is even worse.

Why would SJ want him ?

Martin got scratched last season for 18 straight games, then was moved.

Marleau isn't finished, but if his play doesn't improve, it's not a given he's back next year though it's a complicated decision.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Martin got scratched last season for 18 straight games, then was moved.

Marleau isn't finished, but if his play doesn't improve, it's not a given he's back next year though it's a complicated decision.
Seems to me it's a given.

I don't recall, did Martin have a NMC?

Why would SJ want him?

Reactions: Tall Morty and Mork

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes still skates good enough and has great size for a small forward group, but babcock just plays him too high in the lineup

hes still a 20 20 guy on the offensive side but imo brown hustles too hard and plays a lot better defense to play lower then marleau, brown also has underrated skills...hyman goes even harder, and then he cant play above marner, nylander, kapanen, and johnsson

its not that marleau cant play, its cause we have better forwards, marleau would look great on the last line and even at center

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
While I like Marleau as a player he has the worst contract on the team. He's already made hundreds of millions he should take a cut so it won't hurt our cap.

Maybe he will get into the organization in other areas, as a role model or something

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
While I like Marleau as a player he has the worst contract on the team. He's already made hundreds of millions he should take a cut so it won't hurt our cap.

Maybe he will get into the organization in other areas, as a role model or something
If he "quit" hockey, and didn't play his last year.
And was hired by the Leafs as a consultant .... I would think the other teams would say that is cap circumvention.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He can't take a cut, he's already signed.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Ottawa is relatively close and his contract next year is a pretty nice Melnyk-bait. Might be the only option if Marleau were interested and the Sens want some fake cap hit.

Can't really see Marleau waiving his NMC regardless. Lets remember that he's family oriented at this stage. If we don't want him at 6.5, there's no way anyone he'd waive for wants him either.

99% chance hes on our books next season. He's definitely slowing down this season, but i'll wait until playoffs to judge. Last year Matthews looked like a league-minimum player in the 1st round

Reactions: ACC1224

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ottawa is relatively close and his contract next year is a pretty nice Melnyk-bait. Might be the only option if Marleau were interested and the Sens want some fake cap hit.

Can't really see Marleau waiving his NMC regardless. Lets remember that he's family oriented at this stage. If we don't want him at 6.5, there's no way anyone he'd waive for wants him either.

99% chance hes on our books next season. He's definitely slowing down this season, but i'll wait until playoffs to judge. Last year Matthews looked like a league-minimum player in the 1st round

I hope it doesn't cost this team a good player this summer

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Do people not follow trades/roster movements or what?

It's very realistic and happens all the bloody time. Off the top of my head: Pronger, Savard, Horton, Datstyuk, Hossa recently

I realise the talking heads tend to not want to discuss this issue since it's the NHL's leading dirty little secret when it comes to cap circumvention but this is how things work. Marleau's contract is NOT an issue so stop fretting.
But note this:
The collective bargaining agreement also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule.[8] This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not (unless the player is on long-term injured reserve); this provision remains in effect for the 2013 collective bargaining agreement.[9]This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.
A player who signs a contract aged 35 or older can be bought out as a compliance buyout, or, as a regular buyout. As a regular buyout, the team does not receive cap relief, instead they free a roster position and decrease the salary owed to the player.
NHL salary cap - Wikipedia

There may be grounds for concern but the outright release may be a way to reduce the burden of an albatross contract
But it is worth fretting about! Learn that singing old geezers means paying money for what a player did in the past, and not what the player will do in the future, Signing veteran free agent is stupid betting!
Leafs fans love the idea of paying fat bucks to players from other teams on the downside of their career, holding on to visions of Norris and Conn Smyth trophy winners from 10 years ago, like some ancient artifact
So I think Marleau may indeed be a problem, may keep us from signing some of our kids to fat-cat contacts, it is rather upsetting!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm grateful for his mentorship with the young guys, but that milk has expired.
He has next to no impact on the ice in his current role.

Reactions: TMLS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm grateful for his mentorship with the young guys, but that milk has expired.
He has next to no impact on the ice in his current role.
He's the worst forward on the ice a lot of nights. Lindholm and Gauthier are honestly better than him at this point. I have a feeling Marleau will be spared his dignity before he gets put on the 4th line though, even though I disagree with it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He can still give you 2 or 3 shifts a game on a good night. Hopefully he can deliver 4 or 5 shifts a night in playoffs. The issue is all the other shifts where he drifts as a passenger. He just does not have it anymore. Nothing he can do about it. Father time has arrived.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I honestly wonder if the Leafs would be better off either sitting him like every 1/3 game, or at least cut his icetime down right down during 1/3 of those games. Get him more rested and ideally he’d be able to perform on the ice betteri.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I don't get all the hate with Marleau. The guy has been bumped down to the 3rd line due to younger better players blossoming like Marner, Kappy, AJ and Babs favorites like Hyman.

Sure he has 11 goals but his ice time is down and so is he PP time. Put him in the same spot as last year and he is closing in on another 27 goal season he had the last 2 years.

People need to realize there is lots more to hockey than on the ice. Marleau around these kids makes a huge difference for guys like Matthews, Marner. You look at all young superstars lately and they had vet mentors. Crosby had Mario (lived there) among the many you hear about each year.

You don't think Marleau talks to these guys daily about the grind of the NHL and the fishbowl Toronto is. You don't think Marleau was all calm and cool during this recent cold stretch by the team saying " let's keep moving forward, don't worry about the media or fans" " work hard and we will come thru this"

His value goes way beyond the ice and sure for $6 million production would be a little more but when he signed here it was widely seen as a stepping stone for the Toronto rebuild that we could land a premier player like Marleau where usually they would spurn Toronto.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't get all the hate with Marleau. The guy has been bumped down to the 3rd line due to younger better players blossoming like Marner, Kappy, AJ and Babs favorites like Hyman.

Sure he has 11 goals but his ice time is down and so is he PP time. Put him in the same spot as last year and he is closing in on another 27 goal season he had the last 2 years.

People need to realize there is lots more to hockey than on the ice. Marleau around these kids makes a huge difference for guys like Matthews, Marner. You look at all young superstars lately and they had vet mentors. Crosby had Mario (lived there) among the many you hear about each year.

You don't think Marleau talks to these guys daily about the grind of the NHL and the fishbowl Toronto is. You don't think Marleau was all calm and cool during this recent cold stretch by the team saying " let's keep moving forward, don't worry about the media or fans" " work hard and we will come thru this"

His value goes way beyond the ice and sure for $6 million production would be a little more but when he signed here it was widely seen as a stepping stone for the Toronto rebuild that we could land a premier player like Marleau where usually they would spurn Toronto.
No problem with him being a coach. It is the on the ice stuff which is the issue. Every line he goes on drops off when he arrives. You can't scream at Nylander not producing when it is Marleau that creates the problem. The play is dying on his stick.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Ppl don't hate Marleau, people hate his cap hit that is about to throw everything out of whack. If he was a million dollar cap hit, noone would make an issue.

Mar 26, 2010
$6.25M of very valuable Cap space that this Leafs team desperately needs!

If Dubas can shed Marleau’s contract some way, it will be a massive relief.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
TSN 1050 radio just reported there is talk in San Jose that the Leafs and Sharks already have a deal in place to move Marleau back to SJ for his final year so he can retire there. Here's hoping that's true!

I am skeptical because if SJ wanted him they could have just re-signed him by offering that 3rd year. SJ wants nothing to do with his cap hit, I don't think. Especially when they plan on re-signing Karlsson. They need every little bit of cap space that they can get. It's just nonsensical to me. Why didn't they just re-sign him for 3 years then?

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
If I'm San Jose I don't take Marleau back unless I'm also getting something else of fairly significant value (so it needs to be more than just a 2nd rounder and/or B prospect).

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad