Speculation: Papa Marleau

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think it’s quite possible that Marleau had a handshake agreement to retire year three of his contract.

That way, he essentially got 9 million per for two seasons, but we were able to fit it under a cap hit of 6.

But that handshake was with LOU, not Dubas. Is he obligated to follow that handshake?

If Dubas gets fired, would our next gm be obligated to not trade Nylander?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't see him retiring, he looks like there is still a lot of games left in him but at around 2 mil aav

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't see him retiring, he looks like there is still a lot of games left in him but at around 2 mil aav
Me either. He looks like he is really enjoying his time here.
I'd give it a 5% chance he's not on next years opening night roster.

Reactions: OddyOh

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
I love him. He gives it his all, and is an excellent mentor and role model for the kids. People need to realize he's nearly 40 years old.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We all love him. The guy is a HOFer. But his speed is nowhere near as fast as last year. He was losing races in camp to everyone. Just so you fully get it he goes balls to wall and wins his first 2 races in a 10 cycle drill and then comes in last for next 8 races before coach talk and he can regain his lungs and legs.

He can't do it for 25 shifts anymore. He might have 2-4 shifts a game that's it and he's done for that game. And he has to make decisions what shifts he is gonna give er. Because he knows. It is either then end or very very close to the end. I don't know him but I am told he has high character and guys like that sometimes just retire because they know it is right thing to do.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I'm pretty sure him retiring would have no benefit to us capwise. We would still be stuck with his 6.5 cap hit for next season.
No then you trade the contract for not much happens often.

Arizona can't get enough of retired players dead contracts.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I think it’s quite possible that Marleau had a handshake agreement to retire year three of his contract.

That way, he essentially got 9 million per for two seasons, but we were able to fit it under a cap hit of 6.

But that handshake was with LOU, not Dubas. Is he obligated to follow that handshake?

Yes surely there was a handshake agreement but good god why would Dubas be fired. He's regarded very highly by the front office and frankly anyone with any sense

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

wow this is some speculation right here

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This was a bad contract as soon as we signed it, Marleau was given way too much credit for the player that he had been rather than the player he was going to be. There's probably another shoe to drop in terms of a trade to a cap floor team or a retirement after July 1st but honestly at this point I'd prefer to have another roster spot open for Grundstrom/Moore/Marchment/Engvall to duke it out for

if that agreement was in place, it would have been in place with the organization. Lamariello was a 74 year old man who said to the media that "it was Dubas's job to lose" at the end of his contract when he was brought on. Give the team a little credit for planning for the contingency that Lou wouldn't be here by next summer given that the plan was always for Lou not to be here

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it is wishful thinking for him to retire after this year, unless the Leafs wins the Cup. Then he will retire on the high, Leafs gets to send his contract to some teams who wants to make the Cap floor.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Correct me if I am wrong, but even if he retires, the cap still hurts us coz it's a 35+ deal

That is correct. But his contract is easily tradeable to team (with a sweetener) to team with excess cap if he retires. The only reason he does retire, if he truly thinks "he is done." He has no motivation to retire and his chance at a last Cup unless he thinks he game has fallen off to non NHL standards.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Correct me if I am wrong, but even if he retires, the cap still hurts us coz it's a 35+ deal
The idea is that if he retires the leafs can trade his cap hit of six million to a cap floor team. I’m not sure how realistic it is, but that’s the alleged plan.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If it was a "handshake", Marleau could change his mind and there would be nothing the Leafs could do about it. No different that Dubas saying that Nylander won't be traded while he is GM. He could move him at the TDL or the off-season. Only what is written and registered with the NHL is enforceable.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If it was a "handshake", Marleau could change his mind and there would be nothing the Leafs could do about it. No different that Dubas saying that Nylander won't be traded while he is GM. He could move him at the TDL or the off-season. Only what is written and registered with the NHL is enforceable.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
It's interesting there's so much hate on Nylander yet Marleau gets a free pass. He's getting 6.25 million and looks finished and Babcock is playing him so much. He's hurting every line he's on.

Could have something to do with the fact that in a down year for Marleau he's out performing Nylander's 0.2 p/g pace by a fair margin while costing less.

Reactions: moon111

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looks finished.

Marleau's not exactly finished. He's still better than Connor Brown by pretty much every measure, but he's not worth 3x his salary. That's the tricky part. If his presence next season costs the Leafs a chance to upgrade the D, lose Kapanen or Johnsson, or even Gardiner, it's an issue.

Reactions: AreBe

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Ofcourse there is just sit his ass.

He's too classy to put up with that so will retire or demand a trade.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
The idea is that if he retires the leafs can trade his cap hit of six million to a cap floor team. I’m not sure how realistic it is, but that’s the alleged plan.
Do people not follow trades/roster movements or what?

It's very realistic and happens all the bloody time. Off the top of my head: Pronger, Savard, Horton, Datstyuk, Hossa recently

I realise the talking heads tend to not want to discuss this issue since it's the NHL's leading dirty little secret when it comes to cap circumvention but this is how things work. Marleau's contract is NOT an issue so stop fretting.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Do people not follow trades/roster movements or what?

It's very realistic and happens all the bloody time. Off the top of my head: Pronger, Savard, Horton, Datstyuk, Hossa recently

I realise the talking heads tend to not want to discuss this issue since it's the NHL's leading dirty little secret when it comes to cap circumvention but this is how things work. Marleau's contract is NOT an issue so stop fretting.

We don't know what the plan is. It's possible he doesn't want to retire in which case Leafs can't do anything as he has a NMC. So don't just assume that you know for sure the plan is for him to be traded in the summer. Why would he retire anyway?

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad