LeBrun: Panthers trying to trade Reimer, might buy him out if no takers

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Some posters underrating Reimer big here. Ugly season this year, sure, but some of that can be blamed on team in front of him. Look at Luongo's stats this year. In Reimer's 3 previous seasons, he was worth his 3.4 million and more. In that time frame, he was very comparable to big name goalies such as Carey Price ( first name to pop into my head, but actually remarkably similar):

Reimer- 127 games, 57-44-18, 2.61 GAA, .918 SV%, 10 shutouts, 16 Goals Saved Above Average

Price- 123 games, 63-48-12, 2.56 GAA, .915 SV%, 6 shutouts, 7 Goals Saved Above Average

Now, this isn't to say Reimer is a Carey Price level goaltender, but recency bias and unrobotic mechanics aside, he is a decent starting or great tandem netminder. Teams such as Carolina, Ottawa, Columbus and Calgary would be wise to take a chance on him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
LOL i wouldn't trade Mete for Matheson alone.

You sure about that?
Even though Matheson had a horrid year defensively, some of the numbers I see don't back your reply.
I get Mete is younger and played half the games Matheson has, so you're probably accounting for upside but still feel Matheson will be the better all around player.

Mete-vs-Matheson.PNG

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
You sure about that?
Even though Matheson had a horrid year defensively, some of the numbers I see don't back your reply.
I get Mete is younger and played half the games Matheson has, so you're probably accounting for upside but still feel Matheson will be the better all around player.

View attachment 239957

realy high on Mete, dislike Matheson, the only thing he has on him is size he doesn't use and shot. Mete is and will be a much better all around player. his offensive numbers will soon unlock.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
realy high on Mete, dislike Matheson, the only thing he has on him is size he doesn't use and shot. Mete is and will be a much better all around player. his offensive numbers will soon unlock.

Fair enough, they both get barely any PP time so feel once Yandle is on his way out, Matheson will get more time there and will become a 30-40pt defenseman. His offensive flare has been on display for a couple years now.

I do like Mete too, have mutual friends who know him pretty well. Both are #3/4 D with room to grow into 2/3's. Time will tell I guess.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Now, this isn't to say Reimer is a Carey Price level goaltender, but recency bias and unrobotic mechanics aside, he is a decent starting or great tandem netminder. Teams such as Carolina, Ottawa, Columbus and Calgary would be wise to take a chance on him.

Ottawa needs to figure out what to do with Anderson and Condon first, but it's a decent idea.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Some posters underrating Reimer big here. Ugly season this year, sure, but some of that can be blamed on team in front of him. Look at Luongo's stats this year. In Reimer's 3 previous seasons, he was worth his 3.4 million and more. In that time frame, he was very comparable to big name goalies such as Carey Price ( first name to pop into my head, but actually remarkably similar):

Reimer- 127 games, 57-44-18, 2.61 GAA, .918 SV%, 10 shutouts, 16 Goals Saved Above Average

Price- 123 games, 63-48-12, 2.56 GAA, .915 SV%, 6 shutouts, 7 Goals Saved Above Average

Reimer isn’t good, he’s good in spurts. He’ll come out like an absolute All-Star for a game and a half, then he’ll look like a beer league goalie. He leans way too far forward and tends to go down early. Look forward to him being gone.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schlemko straight up.

That saves Florida $2.375m in cap this season, and $3.4m next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad