LeBrun: Panthers trying to trade Reimer, might buy him out if no takers

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Seconded. Sucks to give up a 2nd. but if that is what it takes, so be it

All conditional on signing Bob+Panarin ofc.

I figured that contract wasn't "Marleau" level of bad, and since Reimer can still play, it wouldn't likely require an Armia-level player to be included in the deal. But the contract does run for 2 more years, so a 2nd is likely a must in that kind of deal based on recent trades.

Gives Montreal more ammunition in a draft they host and solves their need for a backup goalie that could challenge Lindgren.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Seconded. Sucks to give up a 2nd. but if that is what it takes, so be it

All conditional on signing Bob+Panarin ofc.

I'm thinking a lot of these cap-transfer deals are already worked out and on hold until June 30th (or earlier if a player verbally commits to a deal prior). Same goes with Vegas, SJ, and Toronto all needing to shed cap. Buyout window closes on June 30th even though FA opens on July 1st, so that will all be reliant on expectations of certain players agreeing to terms.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Just for fun -

To FLA:
D Sami Vatanen

To NJ:
F Mike Hoffman
G James Reimer
2020 Round 1 pick (can thriw some protections on there)

FLA creates 3m of cap space while getting a Top 4 dman
NJ Adds to scoring, gets a valuable pick, gets a 3rd goalie for AHL/emergency. Can slide Conor Carrick in as #3 RD (not ideal but worth it in this deal).

Both Vatanen and Hoffman 1 yr remaining. Don't see Vatanen as a long term deal guy for NJD.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Just for fun -

To FLA:
D Sami Vatanen

To NJ:
F Mike Hoffman
G James Reimer
2020 Round 1 pick (can thriw some protections on there)

FLA creates 3m of cap space while getting a Top 4 dman
NJ Adds to scoring, gets a valuable pick, gets a 3rd goalie for AHL/emergency. Can slide Conor Carrick in as #3 RD (not ideal but worth it in this deal).

Both Vatanen and Hoffman 1 yr remaining. Don't see Vatanen as a long term deal guy for NJD.

Hahahahahaha thanks for the laugh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Reimer
- 2020 1st
for
- Lindgren

Helps both teams but the 1st is a tough pill to swallow. Up to the Panthers. If you fell you can unload Riemer or buy him out and still fit Panarin and Bob in, I wish you luck. As a Habs fan, I only add Reimer and use up our cap space if we get the 1st. Hate to trade Lindgren cause I think he can be a solid back-up but we are getting a decent back-up for Price and a 1st in the process.

If the Panthers want to unload more salary, we can talk about additions

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Following a little bit of the Armia trade template, how about this:

FLO:
FLO's very own 2020 5th rd pick

MTL:
Reimer, James
FLO 2020 2nd rd pick
WPG 2021 7th rd pick

Thoughts?

Montreal likely keeps him on the roster for a year as a backup, and then either trade him (retained) later on or buys him out at the end of the 2020 season.

Ya not bad at all if it's with no retention. So random with the 2021 WPG 7th rounder though :laugh:

- Reimer
- 2020 1st
for
- Lindgren

Helps both teams but the 1st is a tough pill to swallow. Up to the Panthers. If you fell you can unload Riemer or buy him out and still fit Panarin and Bob in, I wish you luck. As a Habs fan, I only add Reimer and use up our cap space if we get the 1st. Hate to trade Lindgren cause I think he can be a solid back-up but we are getting a decent back-up for Price and a 1st in the process.

We would just retain even to 50% before giving up a 1st.
Reimer at $1.7 million is a lot easier to swallow imo.
We had a horrible year defensively and feel Reimer would bounce back a bit after the door hits his ass. His numbers are decent when he plays no more than 30ish games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya not bad at all if it's with no retention. So random with the 2021 WPG 7th rounder though :laugh:

We would just retain even to 50% before giving up a 1st.
Reimer at $1.7 million is a lot easier to swallow imo.
We had a horrible year defensively and feel Reimer would bounce back a bit after the door hits his ass. His numbers are decent when he plays no more than 30ish games.

I tried. Explore your other options and circle back if you feel my offer would work if the other options fall through. I'm only interested in using our cap space if it's worth it. I think Reimer could be a decent back-up to Price but if not, we would have to buy him out. It's anybodies guess.

The deal is no retention and we swap Lindgren for Reimer but we get your 2020 1st. You can put top 10 protection on it for one year if you wish. If you feel you can retain 50% and still sign Bob and Panarin, I don't think the Habs are going to be interested in a meh return cause Reimer's AAV is lowered. We would just keep Lindgren as our potential back-up

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
- Reimer
- 2020 1st
for
- Lindgren

I wish

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm thinking a lot of these cap-transfer deals are already worked out and on hold until June 30th (or earlier if a player verbally commits to a deal prior). Same goes with Vegas, SJ, and Toronto all needing to shed cap. Buyout window closes on June 30th even though FA opens on July 1st, so that will all be reliant on expectations of certain players agreeing to terms.
I agree! I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple deals out there based on contract demands. I could see Panarin-Bob costing 19.0 million or 22.5 million, which would certainly entail different cap space moves!

Reactions: xNogaitx

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I tried. Explore your other options and circle back if you feel my offer would work if the other options fall through. I'm only interested in using our cap space if it's worth it. I think Reimer could be a decent back-up to Price but if not, we would have to buy him out. It's anybodies guess.

The deal is no retention and we swap Lindgren for Reimer but we get your 2020 1st. You can put top 10 protection on it for one year if you wish. If you feel you can retain 50% and still sign Bob and Panarin, I don't think the Habs are going to be interested in a meh return cause Reimer's AAV is lowered. We would just keep Lindgren as our potential back-up

Reimer with 30-50% retention to OTT imo. If they feel they can move a slightly retained Anderson to a contender for a pick, you bring in Reimer and whoever and tank for a top 5 pick. Most if not all OTT fans know they aren't a playoff team this year especially in a division that may be one of the two deepest.

We wouldn't be looking to take a contract back in the Reimer deal, if so the player probably wouldn't be on the NHL roster. Feel like you guys should be calling VGK and getting a LHD in a trade where you take a cap dump of some sort.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reimer with 30-50% retention to OTT imo. If they feel they can move a slightly retained Anderson to a contender for a pick, you bring in Reimer and whoever and tank for a top 5 pick. Most if not all OTT fans know they aren't a playoff team this year especially in a division that may be one of the two deepest.

We wouldn't be looking to take a contract back in the Reimer deal, if so the player probably wouldn't be on the NHL roster. Feel like you guys should be calling VGK and getting a LHD in a trade where you take a cap dump of some sort.

Sens do need to get to the cap floor. They might bite. Not sure how much AAV they need to get to the floor though?

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton

The "random" 7th is because Bergevin loves his 7th rounders haha. Every single year he usually involves 1-2 in a trade. In this case, having it be a 2021 gives him 2 years of a "controlled asset" that he can use to go get depth if he so chooses due to injuries or whatever.

Also, because in such a deal where there's a potential for a buyout to occur, you'd think the team taking on the cap hit would want an additional asset for that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The "random" 7th is because Bergevin loves his 7th rounders haha. Every single year he usually involves 1-2 in a trade. In this case, having it be a 2021 gives him 2 years of a "controlled asset" that he can use to go get depth if he so chooses due to injuries or whatever.

Also, because in such a deal where there's a potential for a buyout to occur, you'd think the team taking on the cap hit would want an additional asset for that.

If the 7th is the break-point then we have a deal. I'll throw in future considerations too (2026 7th as well)
Montreal also loves their 2nd rounders as well. Feel like you guys have had the most of any team the last 3-4 years

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think the better draft pick suggestion was a simple 4th plus Reimer for a 7th. I'm not sure who would want/need him even at that price, however.
I don't think that's enough. A first would get it done , but idk maybe someone bites on a second and a third? Can recoup whatever you lose in a Hoffman trade and then try to get a dman

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
If the 7th is the break-point then we have a deal. I'll throw in future considerations too (2026 7th as well)
Montreal also loves their 2nd rounders as well. Feel like you guys have had the most of any team the last 3-4 years

That's because I think Bergevin went like 3-5 years without a single 2nd or something stupid like that. They are trying to make up for it now. Yet it's been two years in a row now that their latest 2nd rounder is being used for a "trade back" that amounts to pretty much nothing other than wasting good picks.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I wouldn't mind a backup goalie upgrade for MN if Florida retained a little.
When I first read your post I thought the good Doctor got into his supply and is the smoking banana peels. Then I started thinking of the Carolina/Toronto trade over the weekend. Now granted I'm smoking some primo plantain peels currently, but I'm thinking of that kind of deal for us. I think we can swing the cap space even with no retention. If Florida is desperate enough to make it worth our while of course.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They likely rather sign Ceci before they add Reimer I would imagine?
Yeah probably , they don't really need much to hit the floor tbh. They will extend white. Idk if they keep ceci but there are probably cheaper guys than reimer in real money they could get like Clarkson or whatever.

They don't need a goalie tho they already overpaid nilsson or whatever there backups name is and they still have anderson.

If they somehow extend white for super cheap then they will need more cap but I still think they will grab Clarkson then . Ceci if they extend him at 4 or whatever is double the rest of their defense salary it's pretty nuts.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's because I think Bergevin went like 3-5 years without a single 2nd or something stupid like that. They are trying to make up for it now. Yet it's been two years in a row now that their latest 2nd rounder is being used for a "trade back" that amounts to pretty much nothing other than wasting good picks.

Do you have a crystal ball where you know how the kids will do in the last two drafts already?

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I’d be kind of surprised if they have to buy him out.
I’d do Reimer to Oil at 50% retention and give you a 3rd and 5th back

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I’d be kind of surprised if they have to buy him out.
I’d do Reimer to Oil at 50% retention and give you a 3rd and 5th back
Meh as an Oilers fan maybe send them a 7th for him at 50 percent. I'd rather go with someone young or one of the other goalie free agents over reimer

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Man there’s some terrible deals in here. Panthers can simply send him to the A to bury the contract for a year and buy him out next year for less.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Just a fun fact:
Read an article where CGY traded their 2nd rounder every year from 2004 outside maybe two years where they draft their own pick or a couple trades where they received a 2nd rounder.

Think they've drafted 4-5 players (including those two trades) in 2nd round since 2004. 2nd rounders are the most commonly used asset as 1st's being moved is becoming a thing of the past.

Back on topic now

Reactions: xNogaitx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad