LeBrun: Panthers trying to trade Reimer, might buy him out if no takers

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
N
He will get bought out.

The buyout cap hit isn't too bad. 900k this year, 600k in years 3+4.

It's year 2 where the big cap hit of 3M + comes, and there might be a lockout anyways.

I can't see him being taken by another team in a trade, but he'd be a good FA pickup. Coming off a down year, but he might be a solid #2 at a low cap hit for someone.

Next year his cap hit would kill us though with a buyout. Would make re-signing Dadonov that much more difficult.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
If bought out I'd love him as a cheaper replacement for Dell, though we probably try one of the goalies in our system. I did like Reimer while he was briefly a Shark.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Wonder what price is here relative to the Marleau deal. Reimer has about half the hit but twice the term at 3.4/2 yrs remaining.

Could be a fit for Devils IF it's a Marleau-like deal.

Devils still have space for this and can use a veteran goalie IMO to fill the Eddie Lack role of AHL/3rd NHL.

Saying Schneider is "injury prone" is conservative at this point and Blackwood also missed time last year. Having only Senn and Cormier in AHL leaves them very thin if have any injury issues at NHL level.

Obv this is a super expensive AHL guy but it would be all about the sweetener. Florida may be aggressive along thise lines if Panarin/Bob deals are gonna happen.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think they'll just attach a 2nd or 3rd to him for next to nothing to move him out. Maybe some small retention too, but I really doubt they'll buy him out. He's not good, but he's far from some terrible goalie that is ECHL quality.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
If Florida is willing to eat 50% and maybe take in a contract (Stone, Czarnik), I could see the Flames having interest.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reimer (no retention) and Pysyk to Buffalo for say, a 2021 3rd rounder. It frees up cap space for them to get the Bob and Bread tandem, Buffalo gets a #3 to handle AHL duty and emergency recall for the inevitable goalie injury and a potential partner for the year in UFA-to-be Pysyk. Too low? Too high?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reimer (no retention) and Pysyk to Buffalo for say, a 2021 3rd rounder. It frees up cap space for them to get the Bob and Bread tandem, Buffalo gets a #3 to handle AHL duty and emergency recall for the inevitable goalie injury and a potential partner for the year in UFA-to-be Pysyk. Too low? Too high?

Feel guilty saying yes to this.

Feel with no retention, FLA may need to add a 2020/2021 2nd and with some retention, it would be a 3rd + 3rd/4th/mid level prospect type deal

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feel guilty saying yes to this.

Feel with no retention, FLA may need to add a 2020/2021 2nd and with some retention, it would be a 3rd + 3rd/4th/mid level prospect type deal

Right, so instead of a pick, adding Pysyk (who as a UFA-to-be might be worth a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline) to take the whole of Reimer's deal and then return something else from Buffalo?

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't see any takers for him. A buyout doesn't look that bad, the only problem is next year when his cap hit would be 3.2. With Panthers trying to sign Bob and Panarin, that might be an issue.
4LvuRhM.png

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Right, so instead of a pick, adding Pysyk (who as a UFA-to-be might be worth a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline) to take the whole of Reimer's deal and then return something else from Buffalo?

That's a very easy yes for FLA. We clear $6 million and get a 3rd for two players that have no future with us.

Pysyk wasnt brutal last year but Weegar has passed him on the depth chart imo.

We have a deal!

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's a very easy yes for FLA. We clear $6 million and get a 3rd for two players that have no future with us.

Pysyk wasnt brutal last year but Weegar has passed him on the depth chart imo.

We have a deal!

Well now that we've solved this, you get Dale on the line and I will try to get a message to Botts to get this thing done. :D

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Would FLA pay Marleau price for full dump?

Again, it is half $ but double term.

No, they absolutely would not. The source of the rumour, the thread title, and the OP made it clear that a buyout is an option for Reimer. If no one will take him in a trade, presumably for near free, then they can just buy him out.

Marleau was not indicative of every cap-clearing trade. It was a special case, and a worst-case cenario. A buy-out wasn't an option for the Leafs with Marleau, as he was a 35+ contract. That means the entire cap-hit remains as it was before the buy-out. Not to mention Marleau had a full NMC, meaning he couldn't be traded to just any team, and he also couldn't be asigned to the minors.

None of those things are the case with Reimer. Yes, it's half the $ but double the term. But there are also better options. The Leafs had no other avenues for the Marleau contract, and paid dearly for it. You won't see every cap-dump bringing back a 1st round pick now.

Reactions: klabob

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Would defeat the whole purpose of clearing capspace.
Well except a buy out would cost the Panthers 67% of his contract. But I suppose if the main goal is to clear space for the inevitable Panarin/Bob signing. Then I guess a buy out would be the best solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad