Friedman: Panthers trying to trade Keith Yandle

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What would Florida need hypothetically in order to swap Vlasic for Yandle assuming both NMC's were waived? Just for funsies since I know they would avoid it without a huge add.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
What would Florida need hypothetically in order to swap Vlasic for Yandle assuming both NMC's were waived? Just for funsies since I know they would avoid it without a huge add.
they want to get out from under Yandle's NMC heading into the expansion draft next year, not really get out from under Yandle. Nevermind that Vlasic is one of the most toxic contracts in the NHL. There is always a sucker out there, (see Matheson/Zaitsev) but the Panthers would have to be idiots to take on Vlasic even with a substantial overpayment.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
they want to get out from under Yandle's NMC heading into the expansion draft next year, not really get out from under Yandle. Nevermind that Vlasic is one of the most toxic contracts in the NHL. There is always a sucker out there, (see Matheson/Zaitsev) but the Panthers would have to be idiots to take on Vlasic even with a substantial overpayment.

I get it even though there's effectively no difference between getting out from under Yandle and getting out from under Yandle's NMC. I asked to get an answer not more or less restate what I already said.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I get it even though there's effectively no difference between getting out from under Yandle and getting out from under Yandle's NMC. I asked to get an answer not more or less restate what I already said.
the problem is that waiving the NMC for this trade, doesn't waive the NMC for the expansion draft. So if we want to speculate that Vlasic would agree to waive his NMC for the expansion draft, it would still take a ton. That's a 7 million AAV cap hit you want the Panthers to eat for 6 years. A smart GM would require an arm and a leg to take that deal because at this point its debatable whether Vlasic is even a worth half of that deal.

So if you really want an answer, I would guess the Panthers want a couple unprotected firsts at minimum.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
the problem is that waiving the NMC for this trade, doesn't waive the NMC for the expansion draft. So if we want to speculate that Vlasic would agree to waive his NMC for the expansion draft, it would still take a ton. That's a 7 million AAV cap hit you want the Panthers to eat for 6 years. A smart GM would require an arm and a leg to take that deal because at this point its debatable whether Vlasic is even a worth half of that deal.

So if you really want an answer, I would guess the Panthers want a couple unprotected firsts at minimum.

That may be feasible then if Florida took out Yandle. lol

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Think Dynamically with Florida: we have Barkov up in two years and Huby in 3: we don’t want to extend our cap hit for over priced D past the thre years because it might stop us from signing Huby

Reactions: Beezeral

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Bob is arguably the worst contract in the league right now so FLA is not taking on the 2nd worst contract. (SKINNER could be the 2nd/3rd)
Some other team is necessary and SJ likely eats at least a million or more of Vlasic while taking back a 3 year deal.
Kind of like Matheson-Hronqvist deal

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
again, you want a team to eat a 7 million dollar cap hit for 6 seasons. That doesn't even bring into account that Vlasic is 33 and his game has fallen off a cliff. There's no saving that contract. At least with Matheson and Zaitsev a bad GM could talk himself into thinking that a change of scenery could unlock potential, but Vlasic is a rapidly deteriorating asset. The only way he gets moved without SJ paying a heavy price is if a similar bad contract with similar term comes back.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bob is arguably the worst contract in the league right now so FLA is not taking on the 2nd worst contract.
Some other team is necessary and SJ likely eats at least a million or more of Vlasic while taking back a 3 year deal.
Kind of like Matheson-Hronqvist deal

I think retaining a million, potentially more, is feasible. I think taking back Yandle would be feasible assuming NMC's were waived obviously. I don't think adding two unprotected 1st round picks would be at all feasible considering the first two statements. I think a lot of things would be on the table.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
again, you want a team to eat a 7 million dollar cap hit for 6 seasons. That doesn't even bring into account that Vlasic is 33 and his game has fallen off a cliff. There's no saving that contract. At least with Matheson and Zaitsev a bad GM could talk himself into thinking that a change of scenery could unlock potential, but Vlasic is a rapidly deteriorating asset. The only way he gets moved without SJ paying a heavy price is if a similar bad contract with similar term comes back.

But we'd be taking back Yandle so that mitigates some of that as Yandle is also a deteriorating asset. I'm not saying there wouldn't be another add to it...even a significant one...but it's not going to be two unprotected 1st round picks. There are other assets to look at that could help cover that gap.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think retaining a million, potentially more, is feasible. I think taking back Yandle would be feasible assuming NMC's were waived obviously. I don't think adding two unprotected 1st round picks would be at all feasible considering the first two statements. I think a lot of things would be on the table.
50% would have to be retained for it to make any kind of sense and even then, the add would need to be substantial.

He provides minimal on ice value at this point. It's an albatross contract and the only way it gets moved is if a sucker GM takes it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ya I dont see any way FLA is involved in a Vlasic deal. We were lucky enough to move Matheson.

Wish you luck finding a suitor though.
Yandle is owed $13.2 million over the final 3 years but his caphit and NMC/protection slot sucks.

Vlasic is owed 3 times that money no?
Ya you're likely needing a couple 1sts to move it.
Post a thread and start a discussion?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
But we'd be taking back Yandle so that mitigates some of that as Yandle is also a deteriorating asset. I'm not saying there wouldn't be another add to it...even a significant one...but it's not going to be two unprotected 1st round picks. There are other assets to look at that could help cover that gap.
Yandle is a deteriorating asset with 3 years left on his deal. Vlasic is a deteriorating asset with SIX years left. Those extra 3 years are BRUTAL. nevermind that his signing bonuses make the deal buyout proof. The Sharks are stuck with that deal

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Bruins should look at it and try a swap with Moore at 2.7 millions for 3 years vs Yandle at 6.3 millions for 3 years to, some retain on this for FLA...

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
50% would have to be retained for it to make any kind of sense and even then, the add would need to be substantial.

He provides minimal on ice value at this point. It's an albatross contract and the only way it gets moved is if a sucker GM takes it.

If Vlasic@50% for Yandle needs a substantial add then I think you're out to lunch on player values. Even with how bad the contract is and where Vlasic is as a player, Florida makes out like a bandit saving almost 3 mil on the cap even with the term. 3.5 mil is pretty well in line with Vlasic's on-ice value.

Ya I dont see any way FLA is involved in a Vlasic deal. We were lucky enough to move Matheson.

Wish you luck finding a suitor though.
Yandle is owed $13.2 million over the final 3 years but his caphit and NMC/protection slot sucks.

Vlasic is owed 3 times that money no?
Ya you're likely needing a couple 1sts to move it.
Post a thread and start a discussion?

Yeah but it's not going to be Vlasic plus 2 1sts for Yandle. That's an absurd ask.

Yandle is a deteriorating asset with 3 years left on his deal. Vlasic is a deteriorating asset with SIX years left. Those extra 3 years are BRUTAL. nevermind that his signing bonuses make the deal buyout proof. The Sharks are stuck with that deal

Probably but I don't think the ask is even proportional given the circumstances.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Vlasic@50% for Yandle needs a substantial add then I think you're out to lunch on player values. Even with how bad the contract is and where Vlasic is as a player, Florida makes out like a bandit saving almost 3 mil on the cap even with the term. 3.5 mil is pretty well in line with Vlasic's on-ice value.

Yeah but it's not going to be Vlasic plus 2 1sts for Yandle. That's an absurd ask.

Probably but I don't think the ask is even proportional given the circumstances.

Post a thread and see what people are thinking. I can't say for sure but 3 extra years of 7 mil cap + $25 extra million over Yandle for the years Vlasic is 36-40 isn't appealing at all.

Again, FLA is dealing with Bob being an anchor right now.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

Toronto paid a 1st round pick to get Carolina to eat ONE year of Patrick Marleau's contract at 5 million AAV. You are talking about getting a team to eat THREE years of a much worse deal. It's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Toronto paid a 1st round pick to get Carolina to eat ONE year of Patrick Marleau's contract at 5 million AAV. You are talking about getting a team to eat THREE years of a much worse deal. It's going to cost an arm and a leg.

That's a flawed comparison. Marleau was a 35+ contract at 6.25 mil that needed to be bought out for no on-ice contributions. Vlasic is still going to play and Yandle's deal is only 700k less. Yeah, the extra three years is going to cost something but it's not two 1st round picks. The cost is another player or a prospect. Not a 1st round pick that very easily can be top five or ten.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
That's a flawed comparison. Marleau was a 35+ contract at 6.25 mil that needed to be bought out for no on-ice contributions. Vlasic is still going to play and Yandle's deal is only 700k less. Yeah, the extra three years is going to cost something but it's not two 1st round picks. The cost is another player or a prospect. Not a 1st round pick that very easily can be top five or ten.
Vlasic is going to play, but not well. He's not a good player anymore. Simple as that. The Panthers don't improve their team by adding Vlasic to it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Vlasic is going to play, but not well. He's not a good player anymore. Simple as that. The Panthers don't improve their team by adding Vlasic to it.

No but that's why the other player or prospect is put in to make up for that as well as taking back Yandle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad