Friedman: Panthers trying to trade Keith Yandle

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
why trade him with Ekblad out?
Because he isn't top 6 defensemen even when Ekblad is out. Forsling is doing very well replacing Ek and this new kid from NCAA has played well. The only reason why Yandle gets minutes is his streak and perhaps also the fact that he wears A and guys like him in the lockerroom but he's not paying well at all.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
How much are the panthers willing to pay to get rid of him?
We'd probably just buy him out, if he didn't have a signing bonus left on his final year. That would cause a 5.3M caphit in 2022-23, which isn't great for a team trying to contend. Also worth noting that because of that signing bonus, the owners end up paying him more via buyout compared to retaining 50%, so it's also in their best interest to work out a trade, even if it's with 50% retained.

As for a trade, I'm guessing:

50 % retained
1st rounder 2021
2nd tier prospect (Stillman maybe?)

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Q is running with 7D so he can hide Yandle in a close game, or when FL has a third period lead. The kid who just stepped off of NCAA ice last week is earning more trust and minutes during crucial times in a game than Yandle is. If it wasn’t for his games played streak, he would’ve already been scratched by now. Maybe sitting him for the whole third period last night will start to rekindle the fire under his ass. The threat of being scratched and losing his streak seems to have worn off now. Q is doing everything he can to hide Yandle 5v5, I wonder how long he will be willing to keep doing so. It’s up to Yandle to play well enough to keep earning a spot in the lineup, not on the Panthers to prop up his silly iron(less)man streak. Let’s call it a games played streak, at least, instead of “Ironman”.
Q’s prerequisite for Yandle being in tomorrow’s lineup should be to let me see you in tonight’s game actually put yourself in a position where you might get hurt playing hard for your teammates, instead of playing softly and safely for your streak (which it seems he does on most nights).
“Sorry your streak will be coming to an end, but you’re just not contributing enough any longer.”
It’s all up to Keith as to how long he keeps his streak rolling, it should not be a given that he is in lineup just because the streak exists. If it ends due to a healthy scratch, oh well. It’s all up to Yandle to earn the streak’s continuation.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He won't be traded until the offseason. Nobody is taking him before the expansion draft. He might be Seattle bound, maybe a 1st plus prospects to Seattle along with Yandle and Connolly to keep rest of the roster safe.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
He won't be traded until the offseason. Nobody is taking him before the expansion draft. He might be Seattle bound, maybe a 1st plus prospects to Seattle along with Yandle and Connolly to keep rest of the roster safe.

For this year's first, I'd def do that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I think a buyout is more likely than a trade or him agreeing to go to Seattle.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Q is running with 7D so he can hide Yandle in a close game, or when FL has a third period lead. The kid who just stepped off of NCAA ice last week is earning more trust and minutes during crucial times in a game than Yandle is. If it wasn’t for his games played streak, he would’ve already been scratched by now. Maybe sitting him for the whole third period last night will start to rekindle the fire under his ass. The threat of being scratched and losing his streak seems to have worn off now. Q is doing everything he can to hide Yandle 5v5, I wonder how long he will be willing to keep doing so. It’s up to Yandle to play well enough to keep earning a spot in the lineup, not on the Panthers to prop up his silly iron(less)man streak. Let’s call it a games played streak, at least, instead of “Ironman”.
Q’s prerequisite for Yandle being in tomorrow’s lineup should be to let me see you in tonight’s game actually put yourself in a position where you might get hurt playing hard for your teammates, instead of playing softly and safely for your streak (which it seems he does on most nights).
“Sorry your streak will be coming to an end, but you’re just not contributing enough any longer.”
It’s all up to Keith as to how long he keeps his streak rolling, it should not be a given that he is in lineup just because the streak exists. If it ends due to a healthy scratch, oh well. It’s all up to Yandle to earn the streak’s continuation.

If the big reason for not trading/buying out/whatever Yandle is because he's such a loveable goof and a big locker room presence then imo Q should play Yandle like 25mins in every game, let him rack up something like -5 from each game, until the rest of the team shares the same mentality towards Yandle that this board does. Just let him play big minutes, let him do big gaffes, allow him to look like a beer leaguer out there until someone like Barkov walks over to Zito and tells him that no one is laughing with Yandle anymore, not even at him... that Zito has to get his ass off from this team by any means necessary.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think a buyout is more likely than a trade or him agreeing to go to Seattle.

Buying out is the only way, I'm not sure even how ppl can come into the conclusion that there are teams that would want this bum on their team, let alone his $6.35mil cap hit.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
He will agree if it means preserving his ironman streak. That streak is everything to him.

I think Yandle has a good reputation in the NHLPA and around the league. I think ending his ironman streak would be bad for the locker room and for future free agent signings, particularly with his agent. It would likely be viewed as retribution for using his NMC and might even get a league investigation.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think Yandle has a good reputation in the NHLPA and around the league. I think ending his ironman streak would be bad for the locker room and for future free agent signings, particularly with his agent. It would likely be viewed as retribution for using his NMC and might even get a league investigation.
I'm adding this to HF Bad Legal Takes. The existence of and exercise of a NMC does not prevent the player from being benched if/when the team deems it appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad