Speculation: Panthers rumors regarding the draft and UFA

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
What Panthers picks would be in play? If they're making a move for D at the draft, I would assume draft pick(s) would be, at least, part of the deal.

Also, would term matter?

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What Panthers picks would be in play? If they're making a move for D at the draft, I would assume draft pick(s) would be, at least, part of the deal.

Also, would term matter?
Term matters a bit. I think some of us have concerns about resigning Barky in 2022; i.e. we cannot lock up all our money long-term. Plus, I think we view our window as the next 4-5 years, so ideally someone not expiring.

I think all picks and prospects are in play, except for Monty due to a lack of positional strength! We don't have much in defense prospects, but an abundance in quality forward prospects. From my perspective, the untouchables are Barky, Huby, and Ek (predominantly due to the contract)! Tallon is really high on Borgstrom though...

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Chicago got a 2nd and 3rd back in that deal and Teuvo definitely didn't have the value of a #13 pick at the time.

Joel Armia. A solid bottom 6 30 point winger... I don't see how either of those deals rationalize giving up the #13 pick in the draft.

I can't say whether Teurvo was worth exactly a 13th OA or not, but he was drafted 18th OA and had 44 points 1-1/2 years into his pro career...…...I actually think his value was close

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think Hoffman might be the odd man out. You can call it crazy, but a lot of his points came on the PP, he is nearly one dimensional, and is a UFA after next season. With Panarin on board, Hoffman could become that player Tallon uses to add that blueline help. Id love to keep Hoffman around, but I just dont see it happening, especially if Lou does decide to come back.

That would be the greatest and biggest, idiotic move they would ever do.

A:Hey we get something going after 4 Years on non existenz PP, so what we do now?
B: Well i think it is the best, we send away the Guy who make the PP great and keep that old guy with his now smaller Cap hit as Back Up Goalie.
A: That listen great make the PP bad again and take away the Chance for a young Goalie to play as Back Up Roll in the NHL.
B: Thats the plan, we doing always the same mistakes time after time.

I respect Lou, but to keep the PP as a weapon as it was this Year and add some better 5on5 play, that would be something real dangerous.
Never heard that the Back Up Roll is that important, to keep an near 40 Year old, still good but cant move his Body around.

Sorry i would keep Hoffmann over Loungo, that is a 100% straight Hockey sense decision. Even the next Main Goalie, doesnt bring what he should bring, Lou cant play a full Season anymore, so why keep on holding. He is already A HHOF Player, or will be a 100% sure one.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
That would be the greatest and biggest, idiotic move they would ever do.

A:Hey we get something going after 4 Years on non existenz PP, so what we do now?
B: Well i think it is the best, we send away the Guy who make the PP great and keep that old guy with his now smaller Cap hit as Back Up Goalie.
A: That listen great make the PP bad again and take away the Chance for a young Goalie to play as Back Up Roll in the NHL.
B: Thats the plan, we doing always the same mistakes time after time.

I respect Lou, but to keep the PP as a weapon as it was this Year and add some better 5on5 play, that would be something real dangerous.
Never heard that the Back Up Roll is that important, to keep an near 40 Year old, still good but cant move his Body around.

Sorry i would keep Hoffmann over Loungo, that is a 100% straight Hockey sense decision. Even the next Main Goalie, doesnt bring what he should bring, Lou cant play a full Season anymore, so why keep on holding. He is already A HHOF Player, or will be a 100% sure one.

If you look at Tallon and his career as a GM , he is doing exactly what he did in Chicago prior to them winning.

Lou would be at best if he stays in Florida a backup.

Reactions: harv33173

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
All but Colorado have their goaltending duo set for next season.
If the Avs let varly walk I assume they're signing francouz and having him back up Grubauer. He's done everything they've asked of him in the AHL. Also I doubt they take on bad contracts with Rants and Zadorov needing new contracts while talking up big ufa talent for the 2nd line.

Reactions: Laus723

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Reimer gone, Bob/Panarin and a top 4 D like Myers added is the perfect offseason for us. Hoffman stays, he's transformed our PP and he's an integral part of that complete top 6 the Panthers are chasing. Picks/Prospects are all on the table as far as getting those additions and shipping Reimer off. Don't see us giving up any top 6 F.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Reimer gone, Bob/Panarin and a top 4 D like Myers added is the perfect offseason for us. Hoffman stays, he's transformed our PP and he's an integral part of that complete top 6 the Panthers are chasing. Picks/Prospects are all on the table as far as getting those additions and shipping Reimer off. Don't see us giving up any top 6 F.

That can’t happen if Luongo stays. Myers wouldn’t be an option financially, nor would I want him regardless. That is why they’ll be looking for a Dman around the $4-5 million price range.

Reactions: Laus723

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
George Richards, the Panthers beat writer for The Atlantic, had a Q&A session today. These were some of the things brought up:

- No budget.

- He heard from a few sources that a deal between Columbus and Florida will be done prior to July 1st.

- Dadonov or Hoffman could be in play for a Dman.

- If Bobrovsky falls through, plan B could be Varlamov or even Lehner.

- Thinks Lou wants to play another season, as a backup.

- No Subban or EK65

- Reimer seems to be headed out the door.

- Brouwer and/or Sheahan could be back.

- They wont move Ekblad.

- Sees the team making a move at the draft for a veteran, defensive minded Dman.

- Doesnt see them going after Myers.

- Trouba could be a possibility.

- WC/Stadium series at Marlins Park was mentioned, but it would be way down the road. Also heard of a possible outdoor game at West Point.

Im curious to see which Dman they might target at the draft. Someone who fits in the $5 million range from what I understand.

Nick Leddy may very well be in play.

He's got 3 more years on a 5.5 million per contract and would surely be a boost to that blueline.

The Isles don't NEED to move him, but speculation is that he's the most valuable trading chip, if the team is to acquire more clout up front. Hoffman would be a logical target, although he only has one more year on his deal, so the teams would likely have to add some pieces to make that work.

As for Lehner, he is a UFA, but I think teams should consider him as good as re-signed on Long Island.

Chat about him as a possibility first when July 1st rolls around and he officially becomes a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad