Speculation: Panthers rumors regarding the draft and UFA

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The only two possible trade scenario I see between the two teams are:

Florida’s 2019 1st pick + Reimer for Habs 2019 2nd round pick + CLB 2019 2nd round pick

Or

Reimer + Matheson for Habs 2019 5th round pick + Weise (2.1M for one more year)

The second scenario being the most plausible since it would give Florida 6.5M in cap relief (and 8.5m after year 1)
These are both really bad for the Panthers

Reactions: Laus723

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
they could shed Reimer for less, ask Luongo to take one for the team and go on LTIR, or move Hoffman.

What is less for you? Because from the past examples, it costs a lot to shed a bad contract. 1 year of Bickell cost Chicago Teuvo. One year of Mason cost Winnipeg Armia. Two years of Reimer should be quite hefty. I don’t think a second round pick will be enough.

Second option is all up to Luongo. What if he does not want to do it?

Third option could be a possibility, but at this point, wouldn’t it make more sense to just sacrifice that first and get two second back? I mean, if the goal is to be competitive next year (The hiring of Q and possible signing of Panarin/Bob point toward that goal), wouldn’t you want to keep a 36 goals, 70 points winger on the team instead of a 3.5m backup goalie and a prospect that is probably 2-3 years out of being NHL ready?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
What is less for you? Because from the past examples, it costs a lot to shed a bad contract. 1 year of Bickell cost Chicago Teuvo. One year of Mason cost Winnipeg Armia. Two years of Reimer should be quite hefty. I don’t think a second round pick will be enough.
Chicago got a 2nd and 3rd back in that deal and Teuvo definitely didn't have the value of a #13 pick at the time.

Joel Armia. A solid bottom 6 30 point winger... I don't see how either of those deals rationalize giving up the #13 pick in the draft.

Second option is all up to Luongo. What if he does not want to do it?
He's all but said he will do what is best for the organization.
Third option could be a possibility, but at this point, wouldn’t it make more sense to just sacrifice that first and get two second back? I mean, if the goal is to be competitive next year (The hiring of Q and possible signing of Panarin/Bob point toward that goal), wouldn’t you want to keep a 36 goals, 70 points winger on the team instead of a 3.5m backup goalie and a prospect that is probably 2-3 years out of being NHL ready?
If the Panthers want to do everything they plan for this offseason, Hoffman and Reimer both have to go.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The only two possible trade scenario I see between the two teams are:

Florida’s 2019 1st pick + Reimer for Habs 2019 2nd round pick + CLB 2019 2nd round pick

Or

Reimer + Matheson for Habs 2019 5th round pick + Weise (2.1M for one more year)

The second scenario being the most plausible since it would give Florida 6.5M in cap relief (and 8.5m after year 1)

Lmao, these are turrible. Matheson has a down year but he’s young and still has value, despite his contract. Habs make out like bandits in both these.

Panthers can also bury Reimer in the minors and buy him out next off-season for much less. A deal can be made that won’t come close to either of these.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Lmao, these are turrible. Matheson has a down year but he’s young and still has value, despite his contract. Habs make out like bandits in both these.

Panthers can also bury Reimer in the minors and buy him out next off-season for much less. A deal can be made that won’t come close to either of these.

Reimer + Matheson
for
Your choice of Armia, Shaw or Byron + 2nd round pick

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I could see Hoffman packaged with Reimer. We don't need much anything in return.

A team in dire need of goalscoring, like Arizona, would fairly easily do that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Teams like ARI, OTT, COL, NJ, NYR and VAN could easily take him and buy him out for some mid picks/mid level prospect.
Arizona does not take on huge amounts of salary. Cap-hit, sure. But not salary. No chance. Luongo is the exact type of contract Arizona will accept. No Reimer.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see Hoffman packaged with Reimer. We don't need much anything in return.

A team in dire need of goalscoring, like Arizona, would fairly easily do that.
That’s almost $9 mill of cap space going out. Pretty limited market of teams who can add that much for nothing going the other way.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Obviously we'd need retention, but I'd honestly be so happy to bring him back as a backup to Freddy
I doubt the Leafs could even afford the $1.7 cap hit for a backup. Everything will get tight once Marner signs. Have to find deals somewhere and backup goalie is likely one of them.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Teams like ARI, OTT, COL, NJ, NYR and VAN could easily take him and buy him out for some mid picks/mid level prospect.

With that much term left it would be a pretty expensive cap dump. Some of those teams I could see while others I don't.

Van has Demko/Markstrom, NYR has Lundquist and George, Ari has Kuemper and Ranta.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With that much term left it would be a pretty expensive cap dump. Some of those teams I could see while others I don't.

Van has Demko/Markstrom, NYR has Lundquist and George, Ari has Kuemper and Ranta.

Tallon may have to retain a bit, say a million which would pay his $2 million signing bonus next year.
He'd be buried in the AHL for most teams, he may get a chance in OTT if they need help reaching the cap floor

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
I'm offering up a 2nd or multiple 3rds and a 21yr old prospect. Not just one pick and look at how many NHL regulars are starting to come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds

How about
Reimer + 2nd Round pick 2019 (FLA) + 3rd Round pick 2020 (FLA) + 4th round pick 2019 (PIT) or Riley Stillman vs Pezzetta
Not High on Malgin and lot or depth on the wing in MTL.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
We coule also work a trade for lindgren for a cheap backup To replace reimer.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How about
Reimer + 2nd Round pick 2019 (FLA) + 3rd Round pick 2020 (FLA) + 4th round pick 2019 (PIT) or Riley Stillman vs Pezzetta
Not High on Malgin and lot or depth on the wing in MTL.

:laugh: I pretty much offered that up and maybe one MON fan was open to it and most said it's not enough.

Every fan of their own team would prefer to keep the current 2nd but I think Tallon has to be open to it, Reimer's deal ain't pretty. I'd add a 4th if we can make it the 2020 2nd.

What about MacDonald instead of Stillman? MacDonald is older at 26 but is more offensive minded, puts up really good AHL numbers and a PP QB, just needs a shot on the bottom pairing in the NHL. He's signed for another year at 750k.

McCoshen and Stillman play more of a shutdown role, assumed most MON fans prefer a puck moving LD?

We coule also work a trade for lindgren for a cheap backup To replace reimer.

No need for him to be honest. We have Montembeault who is seriously being considered as back up if we sign Bobrovsky and Lu goes on LTIR aka "retires"

Reactions: Carl182

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
:laugh: I pretty much offered that up and maybe one MON fan was open to it and most said it's not enough.

Every fan of their own team would prefer to keep the current 2nd but I think Tallon has to be open to it, Reimer's deal ain't pretty. I'd add a 4th if we can make it the 2020 2nd.

What about MacDonald instead of Stillman? MacDonald is older at 26 but is more offensive minded, puts up really good AHL numbers and a PP QB, just needs a shot on the bottom pairing in the NHL. He's signed for another year at 750k.

McCoshen and Stillman play more of a shutdown role, assumed most MON fans prefer a puck moving LD?

Habs fans saw up front how terrible Matheson was this season. He was completely unacceptable in his own zone. That scares me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad