Speculation: Panthers rumors regarding the draft and UFA

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
If FLA is looking for a good, reasonably cost effective D, while getting rid of Reimer:
Dadonov, Reimer, 2019 2nd for Tanev, 4th, Gadjovich

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm offering up a 2nd or multiple 3rds and a 21yr old prospect. Not just one pick

I don’t know about other teams, but from a Montreal point of view, this isn’t even nearly enough. Maybe some other teams will value the second round pick higher than I do?

Even a buyout isn’t interesting on Reimer because of his SB

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t know about other teams, but from a Montreal point of view, this isn’t even nearly enough. Maybe some other teams will value the second round pick higher than I do?

Even a buyout isn’t interesting on Reimer because of his SB

Fair enough, won't perk everyone's interest but $2 million for the Habs is a fart in the wind. Let's be real here. Tallon and Bergy are good friends, it's already a done deal :sarcasm:

Reactions: Laus723

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm offering up a 2nd or multiple 3rds and a 21yr old prospect. Not just one pick and look at how many NHL regulars are starting to come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds

I'm sure you can understand why most people would read "some mid picks/mid level prospect" and not think 2nd rounder (the same way you wouldn't categorize 6th rounder a mid pick).

I still don't think that gets it done considering the 20-21 bonus, Florida hopes the pick will be a late one and the fact Malgin won't be exempt from waivers. The teams that can actually afford to spend nearly 5.5 million and the teams that plan on having a lot of open cap space in 20-21 is not a large group.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Defensive D to Florida! Here comes the Q special! Veteran stay at home D thats terrible at hockey that plays a "predictable" game.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hoffman+Reimer for Tanev? Is there something to be worked around there?

Edit: Whistler are beat me to it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm sure you can understand why most people would read "some mid picks/mid level prospect" and not think 2nd rounder (the same way you wouldn't categorize 6th rounder a mid pick).

I still don't think that gets it done considering the 20-21 bonus, Florida hopes the pick will be a late one and the fact Malgin won't be exempt from waivers. The teams that can actually afford to spend nearly 5.5 million and the teams that plan on having a lot of open cap space in 20-21 is not a large group.

Ya that's fair.

Cap is going up $2.5 to 3 million next year and probably another $2-3 million once SEA comes in. Don't think it's entering a 1st round pick category for 2 years even with the signing bonus and he can still play (re-building team) for a year if need be.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Something based around Hoffman for Savard makes sense to me. Checks off multiple boxes from that list of rumors.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why? Just curious cause he’s exactly what the OP asked for

Because I think he has declined, had a pretty bad year, isn't worth his contract and there are better options out there.

Would rather have Dillon to be honest. Would give a 2nd but not a 2nd +.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Fair enough, won't perk everyone's interest but $2 million for the Habs is a fart in the wind. Let's be real here. Tallon and Bergy are good friends, it's already a done deal :sarcasm:

Billionaires don't become billionaires by throwing away money, much less millions of dollars.

Ya that's fair.

Cap is going up $2.5 to 3 million next year and probably another $2-3 million once SEA comes in. Don't think it's entering a 1st round pick category for 2 years even with the signing bonus and he can still play (re-building team) for a year if need be.

He is not a good player anymore. There was a reason he was in the pressbox during their playoff race, with multiple back to backs. As he's not injured, like say a Hossa teams are actually forced to pay his contract. Team's aren't going to do that even for 2nds or multiple 3rds. Only way I can see the move is if another bad contract is shipped the other way, or maybe high retention along with some picks, and even then that 2nd year makes it hard to stomach.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Because I think he has declined, had a pretty bad year, isn't worth his contract and there are better options out there.

Would rather have Dillon to be honest. Would give a 2nd but not a 2nd +.
For Dillon it’s a lot more than a 2nd. Dillon really came into his own this year and was probably our most consistently good D this year. I’d probably shop around for Braun but would be okay with taking a 2nd if there’s nothing better. He just doesn’t fit our team. He should be pairing with an offensive D but all our LD are defensive minded.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
For Dillon it’s a lot more than a 2nd. Dillon really came into his own this year and was probably our most consistently good D this year. I’d probably shop around for Braun but would be okay with taking a 2nd if there’s nothing better. He just doesn’t fit our team. He should be pairing with an offensive D but all our LD are defensive minded.

Reading SJS fans thoughts on your board... sounds like a 2nd for him is pretty hopeful when some want him scratched for the playoffs and others wanting to shoot him in a rocket to outerspace. But hey, if the team can get a 2nd for him good for them.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Reading SJS fans thoughts on your board... sounds like a 2nd for him is pretty hopeful when some want him scratched for the playoffs and others wanting to shoot him in a rocket to outerspace. But hey, if the team can get a 2nd for him good for them.
I wouldn’t read into Sharks fans. There was some that wanted EK scratched for the playoffs. They are the most masochistic fans (but hey you kind of have to to be a Sharks fan.)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

The only two possible trade scenario I see between the two teams are:

Florida’s 2019 1st pick + Reimer for Habs 2019 2nd round pick + CLB 2019 2nd round pick

Or

Reimer + Matheson for Habs 2019 5th round pick + Weise (2.1M for one more year)

The second scenario being the most plausible since it would give Florida 6.5M in cap relief (and 8.5m after year 1)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
George Richards, the Panthers beat writer for The Atlantic, had a Q&A session today. These were some of the things brought up:

- No budget.

- He heard from a few sources that a deal between Columbus and Florida will be done prior to July 1st.

- Dadonov or Hoffman could be in play for a Dman.

- If Bobrovsky falls through, plan B could be Varlamov or even Lehner.

- Thinks Lou wants to play another season, as a backup.

- No Subban or EK65

- Reimer seems to be headed out the door.

- Brouwer and/or Sheahan could be back.

- They wont move Ekblad.

- Sees the team making a move at the draft for a veteran, defensive minded Dman.

- Doesnt see them going after Myers.

- Trouba could be a possibility.

- WC/Stadium series at Marlins Park was mentioned, but it would be way down the road. Also heard of a possible outdoor game at West Point.

Im curious to see which Dman they might target at the draft. Someone who fits in the $5 million range from what I understand.

Maatta will likely be our odd man out this summer. 3 more years at 4.1M. 24 years old. We need cap space for Guentzel's in-place raise as well as Pettersson's inevitable raise.

No doubt there are other, better options [even at the price tag]; but Maatta will be someone who is either packaged or simply traded for a pick. The Pens need space and have too many D with expensive contracts.

That being said - I find it more likely a Western Conference team targets him. He will be coming basically free but his skating weakness pushes him away from many, faster, East coast teams.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The only two possible trade scenario I see between the two teams are:

Florida’s 2019 1st pick + Reimer for Habs 2019 2nd round pick + CLB 2019 2nd round pick

Or

Reimer + Matheson for Habs 2019 5th round pick + Weise (2.1M for one more year)

The second scenario being the most plausible since it would give Florida 6.5M in cap relief (and 8.5m after year 1)

If Reimer had 3-4 yrs left then I could see our 2019 1st offered up but have a hard time seeing us going that way for 2 yrs left.

As for Matheson, he isnt going anywhere, management is committed to him and he's easily our best skating defenseman on the team. Q is an elite coach who will work with him to shore up the defensive side of things.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Reimer had 3-4 yrs left then I could see our 2019 1st offered up but have a hard time seeing us going that way for 2 yrs left.

As for Matheson, he isnt going anywhere, management is committed to him and he's easily our best skating defenseman on the team. Q is an elite coach who will work with him to shore up the defensive side of things.

Fair enough. I guess there’s just no deal to be made here. Those were probably the only two options that would’ve made sense from a Habs POV

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I think Hoffman might be the odd man out. You can call it crazy, but a lot of his points came on the PP, he is nearly one dimensional, and is a UFA after next season. With Panarin on board, Hoffman could become that player Tallon uses to add that blueline help. Id love to keep Hoffman around, but I just dont see it happening, especially if Lou does decide to come back.
Can we work something around Hoffman for Leddy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad