Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Rangers - Groundhog's Day/RIP in peace Papa John's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
You mean the D that is what,3rd in the league goals against? Yea those guys suck get rid of al of them...They have clues for sale in aisle 3

Lundqvist covers a lot of mistakes.

How many screwed up clears did we have tonight? Tough to watch.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Totally with you on that. The man looks tired out there now. I'd rest him and slot Miller in here and there at this point. Zucc's points aren't where they need to be, but he's improved defensively tremendously and it's pretty clear he's an inspiration to his teammates. I hope Sather sees the forest through the trees.

yeah, Zucc had flu earlier last week so he was probably not 100% healthy - he was exhausted after the game this night. I would rest Zucc too next match and use JT. Miller.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Great ****ing win. Had faith the whole time in them tonight. Defense looked suspect. Gotta tighten up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
HFNYR never disappoints when it comes to intermission talk. People always give up before the game is over. We were tied at the end of the 2nd, and people were talking like we were trailing by 3 goals. Games are not won in the first 40 minutes. Today was another prime example of that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I can see why some people would have a tough time parting with MSL. We gave up a lot for him and he was good for us last postseason. The way he's regressed is extremely concerning.

His play isn't what it used to be, but at the very least he's a 55 point player, brings veteran leadership and is a playoff performer. I keep him.

I still think he's slumping/snakebitten more than anything else.

Hit 2 posts vs Carolina, 2 posts vs MTL and that play where be batted it into Price.

He's primed for a streak of like 13 pts in 8 games or something.

He's always been a streaky player. I think most here are more negative than they should be for two reasons:

1. MSL was a superstar, so we expect a superstar every night. MSL in Tampa did have a tendency to disappear at times, but we haven't seen him as much.
2. The way Richards went off the rails we're all having PTSD flashbacks about it.

Yes he hasn't looked great, but I'm sure he will break out. His legs are still there, his timing is there. This isn't a guy who's behind the play all game. He's getting unlucky and some bad bounces and is slumping. Perhaps it's even better for us if he slumps, we can sign him for 2 years, 6m total? Wouldn't you want MSL for 2 more years at a 3m caphit? I know I would.

I pick him to break out with a hot streak real soon.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Someday you'll get it. I don't know when, but someday you will. I hope.

The above makes ZERO sense.

If your team doesn't score your team doesn't win. It doesn't matter what your goalie does. And it's not like Lundqvist didn't make a bunch of great saves against Montreal and Price had some luck off the iron.

And, FWIW, your grandmother wouldn't have stopped that one either.

It made zero sense? Are you saying that he had a better game last game just because he allowed 2 fewer goals? THAT makes zero sense. Today he gave up goals that weren't his fault at all, that's outside circumstances he has no control of. He had all the control in the world in giving up the goal he gave up against Montreal. I don't see how just because he gave up 2 more in a game where he had no chance on the 3 goals it means he automatically was worse. I can't imagine how someone can look at two games and just decide how well the goalie played based on goals against.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
So... do you guys think Lundqvist should easily be the Vezina winner right now?

If we have the worst defense in the league, and the 4th best GA/G....

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Anyone notice the play where Hagelin got taken down on a breakaway for a penalty shot was almost identical to Kreider on Price in the playoffs? I wonder if the media will start a myth that Hagelin is a goalie killer...oh wait, it wasn't against Montreal and Luongo didn't get hurt.

So it will correctly be looked at as a defenseman making a desperation play and tripping an attacker into his goalie, fault on the defenseman 100%.

Is it me or did Zuccarello just sound like he just played his last game in a Ranger jersey? The post game interview was really depressing on his part.

That's how he sounds in every single one of his interviews.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Didn't get home until the third period, which worked out pretty well.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Anyone notice the play where Hagelin got taken down on a breakaway for a penalty shot was almost identical to Kreider on Price in the playoffs? I wonder if the media will start a myth that Hagelin is a goalie killer...oh wait, it wasn't against Montreal and Luongo didn't get hurt.

So it will correctly be looked at as a defenseman making a desperation play and tripping an attacker into his goalie, fault on the defenseman 100%.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. Made me think about how the narrative would've been rewritten if 1) Kreider falls face first, 2) Price isn't injured, Kreider is. It's all just a big hype train, not that we didn't already know it.

Also shout out to Dominic Moore for a fantastic game tonight. After that GOTY submission last game, I'm really happy to see him getting rewarded with better line mates. He's such a great player, so glad to have him as a Ranger.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I hate to interject with stats and actual facts but Callahan has 35 points so far with Tampa this season and Marty St.Louis has 36 points so far this season with the Rangers.

Marty is not on his game right now but I'd rather him be on his game in the big games then in the winnable games in Febuary...

... Cally has played a ton on a line with Stamkos. Marty has not. Come on now. Cally was never a 60 point guy here.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yeah, you've a good point about Kreider. :)
Hags penalty was really bad, but he is not used to take penalties, hehe.
However, Hags had a strong defensive game this night with 1 assist though +/- (+2)

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
... Cally has played a ton on a line with Stamkos. Marty has not. Come on now. Cally was never a 60 point guy here.

Yes this is exactly my point! My point is MSl is doing fine and Cally, while playing with a top 3 forward in the NHL is still not more than MSl. My point of posting the stats was in support of Marty not Cally!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hate to interject with stats and actual facts but Callahan has 35 points so far with Tampa this season and Marty St.Louis has 36 points so far this season with the Rangers.

Marty is not on his game right now but I'd rather him be on his game in the big games then in the winnable games in Febuary...

Ryan Callahan has 0 even strength goals since the beginning of December (27 games.) Hes been a pretty bad a while now save for a game here or there, which is pretty much what he did with the Rangers last season.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Or the Panthers were playing balls to the walls to have a chance for the playoffs, yet they still lost 6-3.

Most teams out there are playing balls to the wall. I love watching Hank and all but hes being left on his own way too much. With the type of effort played since the break the team is making it hard for them to win against top level opposition.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
In a game featuring 9 total goals and obviously not a whole lot of defense, Martin St. Louis was disappointingly absent. I'm afraid I'm tipping too far into hater territory here, but man has he been invisible for awhile now.

I was at the game tonight, and it is the first time I have ever noticed how absolutely useless he is. He barely did anything. Lot of floating.

RangersOwnNewYork*

To read some of these ****ing posts--you would think we'd lost. I swear some people should just crack open a bottle and chill.

THIS. Going thru the game day thread you would think we were in last place instead of being 3 points from the division lead. The defense sucks....McDonagh sucks...Girardi suck....Stall sucks....MSL sucks....change the lines....Av sucks...Blah blah blah

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
THIS. Going thru the game day thread you would think we were in last place instead of being 3 points from the division lead. The defense sucks....McDonagh sucks...Girardi suck....Stall sucks....MSL sucks....change the lines....Av sucks...Blah blah blah

I still feel like this team doesn't play half of a given game. They were able to turn it up against the Panthers and Canes, but that won't always work.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i have no idea how anyone could be happy with this game....Henrik Lundqvist is the only reason we werent down a ton going into the 3rd...just an atrocious display of team defense tonight. ugh..

RangersOwnNewYork*

I still feel like this team doesn't play half of a given game. They were able to turn it up against the Panthers and Canes, but that won't always work.

NO team in this league brings their A game every single night. No team in hockey goes thru the season undefeated and without certain players not playing well some nights. I could understand the incessant whining from some people if this team was bad instead of one of the top teams in the league. Some people need to give a rest.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
NO team in this league brings their A game every single night. No team in hockey goes thru the season undefeated and without certain players not playing well some nights. I could understand the incessant whining from some people if this team was bad instead of one of the top teams in the league. Some people need to give a rest.
This guy gets it; Ebb and flow yo, ebb and flow.

:witch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad