Post-Game Talk: Panthers @ Rangers - Groundhog's Day/RIP in peace Papa John's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think people are being too crazy with this "so and so is barely playing at a NHL level!" especially the defensemen. They all are making plays and moving the puck pretty well most of the time, and I see a LOT of their mistakes are more systematic. Like, McDonagh's turnover on the first goal isn't great but he has to try to make a long pass out of the zone in that situation because he's got no other option there (though sure he could have held it or maybe gone back to Girardi) and that's something the Rangers do sometimes that makes things more difficult...all the forwards fly out to the neutral zone and the D have to make a long ass pass through the oppposing team to get it to them. It actually USUALLY works but for a team without defensemen who are known for their stretch passing it always seems a bit odd.

Beyond that I think AV is telling his D to play more aggressively and even sometimes act like rovers, and that leads to getting caught or some mistakes sometimes. Good lord how many times has Staal gone deep and stayed there lately? Again it's good when it works but bad when they get caught, but I see it as something AV is trying to make his team do. The biggest thing is that I wish he would pull back on McDonagh a bit because he's trying to play like a true rover and be very aggressive all over the ice and it's resulting in those mistakes people are killing him for. He's all over the ice and then tries to stand up opposing players very early and sometimes gets beat. I guess I"m interested to see if he can eventually make that transition to being an effective player that way but honestly I think he was more effective playing more conservatively before

That all said, he and the rest of the D are still generally making more good plays than bad. They're very good at winning board battles and moving the puck to the forwards in the defensive zone (I'd also like to point out that the Rangers transition game is mostly dependent on the forwards and not the defensemen getting the puck out of the zone...it's generally "defenseman wins a battle, moves the puck to the open forward who starts the breakout". Most of the time they're not playing a defenseman breakout on their own scheme, which is why I shake my head when people complain about the defensemen being terrible at transitioning etc. That's not their job most of the time, and when it is their job they usually do just fine if they have support from the forwards to give them a passing target.

Anyways, yes it's sloppier than I'd like to see and again I'm surrprised to see McDonagh trying to play like a rover, but it still actually works most of the time. Oh and a large number of big breakdowns also at least share some blame with the forwards who especially get caught sometimes in no mans land in the defensive zone and unsure who to cover when things get a bit scrambly

e: and for an "Average" team, the Panthers have some very slick and skilled players, it's not surprising they can generate some very good pressure at times. Some of their lines are very strong and if their young players keep developing they're going to be a good team. The NHL isn't a league where a team not being in a playoff position just means your'e automatically going to walk all over them and they will get no chances at all.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My beef lately has been the unforced turnovers and risky passes. Three or four a game I can deal with, but it's been more like three or four every few shifts.

They're at their best when they forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net - they did both last night.

The one thing I've noticed is that they're chip or touch passes in the dzone are starting to get telegraphed, so teams are obviously scouting their breakouts.

Really tough stretch coming up.

12 in 21 days but lots of games against non-playoff types. Expect to see Miller, Hunwick and Talbot more.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
i have no idea how anyone could be happy with this game....Henrik Lundqvist is the only reason we werent down a ton going into the 3rd...just an atrocious display of team defense tonight. ugh..

Perhaps it's because not every game is going to be a masterpiece. Sometimes, you just get the 2 points and move on.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My beef lately has been the unforced turnovers and risky passes. Three or four a game I can deal with, but it's been more like three or four every few shifts.

They're at their best when they forecheck and cause havoc in front of the net - they did both last night.

The one thing I've noticed is that they're chip or touch passes in the dzone are starting to get telegraphed, so teams are obviously scouting their breakouts.

Really tough stretch coming up.

12 in 21 days but lots of games against non-playoff types. Expect to see Miller, Hunwick and Talbot more.

Yeah I do wish they'd be "harder" on the puck sometimes. They start slapping at loose pucks or trying to make little chip or drop passes to teammates who aren't expecting it and things start going south quickly. But...thiese things tend to run in cycles. They had a long stretch of fantastic play and are not cooling off from that a bit and having some inconsistency. The big thing is they keep winning regardless

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
(snip)

e: and for an "Average" team, the Panthers have some very slick and skilled players, it's not surprising they can generate some very good pressure at times. Some of their lines are very strong and if their young players keep developing they're going to be a good team. The NHL isn't a league where a team not being in a playoff position just means your'e automatically going to walk all over them and they will get no chances at all.

They are a good team.The forward lines have quality players spread throughout.

However, as with the last game against the Rangers, their defense leaves something to be desired. If people ( and I am not speaking about you) want to point out the Rangers defensive corps' failings, just look at how many times the Panthers left a Rangers player wide open with all kinds of time to set up in prime scoring territory.

That is why I think of the Panthers as not being a serious contender. Not yet.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
have to agree. the Panthers do not play like a bottom feeder. I could understand everyones expectations to just blow them out of the water, but they're playing like a legit wild card team. can't count them out yet

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You've a good point though; I'm not always patient, but I believe that MSL will bounce back soon. MSL is still an 'elite' player in consider his age and unlucky recently with his finishing.
His play with the Rangers says differently. And his age is also a factor when it comes to considering the likelihood of a bounce back.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have a 10 point lead on FLA and they are even in games played. The teams in playoff position right now will be the playoff teams in April barring a significant injury or collapse by a team in the top 8. That's what I look at. The rest can be corrected. The Panthers have just 16 ROW. The Flyers have played better but they have played 51 games and have 51 points. Philly has 20 ROW. The Rangers are on pace for a 105 point season. They had 96 points last season. Finish 2nd and play Pittsburgh in the first round.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
They are a good team.The forward lines have quality players spread throughout.

However, as with the last game against the Rangers, their defense leaves something to be desired. If people ( and I am not speaking about you) want to point out the Rangers defensive corps' failings, just look at how many times the Panthers left a Rangers player wide open with all kinds of time to set up in prime scoring territory.

That is why I think of the Panthers as not being a serious contender. Not yet.

Yeah, agreed. I don't call them a "good team" yet overall because of those issues they have but they certainly do have skill and the ability to make plays out there. As their young players get better and the shore up some bad spots they are going to be a very tough team. Huberdeau was a beast last night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hmmm. I didn`t see this match, but one poster wrote that Staal had a great game?

I thought he looked great honestly. He had one gaffe where he was trying to keep the puck away from the opposing players stick by kicking his foot out. Other than that he looked great IMO...

Girardi was the direct cause of about 10 zone pinnings all game--just such horrendous outlet passes, no ability to go 1-on-1 against a forechecker, useless puck chops around the boards, he just looks so bad when McD isn't playing like an all-star.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Hmmm. I didn`t see this match, but one poster wrote that Staal had a great game?

Whomever it was, they weren't watching very closely. McDonagh and Girardi were terrible too, but Staal was just as bad IMO, if not worse. Best D man was John Moore.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
HFNYR never disappoints when it comes to intermission talk. People always give up before the game is over. We were tied at the end of the 2nd, and people were talking like we were trailing by 3 goals. Games are not won in the first 40 minutes. Today was another prime example of that.

Just playing some devil's advocate here... but going back to the playoffs we've blown a lot of two goal leads. That, in and of itself is extremely disturbing. Especially for a team that supposedly has a good to great D and a hall of fame Goaltender

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Whomever it was, they weren't watching very closely. McDonagh and Girardi were terrible too, but Staal was just as bad IMO, if not worse. Best D man was John Moore.

was watching very closely. Moore looked a lot better, but Staal was hardly bad... i just can't see it. 2nd period was meh at worst..

McDonagh and Girardi were brainfarting the entire ****ing game. Do NOT give them free passes

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Good teams win games like this. The Rangers aren't the hot team they were in December and January. It was completely expected that they wouldn't continue winning the way they were. But good hockey teams still find a way to win at times, even when they don't play anywhere near their best. That's what we're seeing.

Thing is, every playoff team in the division was hot at the same time. Now, they're all cooling off at the same time. What's going to determine the final standings in the division is a) who can win the most games during their cool off and b) who regains their peak form with any significant time before the end of the year.

I said during the Rangers hot streak that, given the nature of this kind of thing, I'd prefer to see the Rangers inevitable cool off in February rather than March. I'm okay with what's happening right now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Staal was alright for the most part except he got himself caught in no mans land on the PK which led to the goal against. He's either gotta be in there fast and blocking that passing lane better, or he's gotta stay in position to box out/block the pass to the far side of Lundqvist. He just got lured out of position and the Panthers cached in on it

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Staal was pretty good from what I watched. I saw half the 1st all of the 2nd and 1/2 of the 3rd until my stream dissolved. What I really noticed was he was joining or leading the rush a hell of a lot more than I was ever accustomed seeing just a few years ago. He has 1 or 2 gaffes but other than that was fine. By fine I mean you didn't notice anything bad from him in the least.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Is it me or did Zuccarello just sound like he just played his last game in a Ranger jersey? The post game interview was really depressing on his part.

You could almost tell from the high lights, that after his goal, something is up. He doesn`t look happy at all :(

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He had a great game last night, how can you ascertain he's unhappy. If he is it didn't show in his play. That would be the first place frustration and unhappiness rears it's ugly head.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Good teams win games like this. The Rangers aren't the hot team they were in December and January. It was completely expected that they wouldn't continue winning the way they were. But good hockey teams still find a way to win at times, even when they don't play anywhere near their best. That's what we're seeing.

Thing is, every playoff team in the division was hot at the same time. Now, they're all cooling off at the same time. What's going to determine the final standings in the division is a) who can win the most games during their cool off and b) who regains their peak form with any significant time before the end of the year.

I said during the Rangers hot streak that, given the nature of this kind of thing, I'd prefer to see the Rangers inevitable cool off in February rather than March. I'm okay with what's happening right now.

Yup. Washington and Pittsburgh are both going cold. Washington are still playing well at least. Pittsburgh have been garbage their last few games. I think Pens fans are starting to figure out that Bylsma, while a moron, wasn't why they keep losing early in the playoffs.

It would be okay for the Rangers to go into a slump, or something like it in this month because it's mostly against teams that are out of the playoffs. After this week, they play against the Isles, Canucks, and the rest non playoff teams. No ground to lose as the win against Florida last night pretty much ended their playoff hopes, barring a huge collapse by a top 8 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad