Weekes: Panthers pushing for Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
One is 34 years old. Markstrom is a move to try and salvage a lost season, where based on his history he MAYBE lives up to his contract next year and when he's 36 is likely actively harming the devils. His poor play in 22-23 and 20-21 are big reasons why Calgary missed the playoffs those years. And the asking prices from calgary fans are utterly ridiculous

One is 22, and would be a play to align with the long term window of our core. Dustin Wolf is older than him. And Knight already has multiple years under his belt as a quality NHL goalie. Bring in a stopgap like DeSmith just in case and roll with DeSmith Daws and Knight. Save cap, assets.
Based on 6 good years out of the last 7? 5 of which he was top 5 in GSAE? You must hate Vasy and Shesterkin too then right?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Based on 6 good years out of the last 7? 5 of which he was top 5 in GSAE? You must hate Vasy and Shesterkin too then right?
He has 2 bad years in his last 4. Don't know where 6/7 came from?

And which source are you using for GSAx? On evolving hockey he has never finished top 5 besides this year. Only 1 other time has he finished top 15.

And let's go into those years back then.

Markstrom 4 years ago: 30 years old, coming off top 5 vezina finish. Worth 6 million dollars and ZERO draft capital. He was available for free. As a free agent.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He has 2 bad years in his last 4. Don't know where 6/7 came from?

And which source are you using for GSAx? On evolving hockey he has never finished top 5 besides this year. Only 1 other time has he finished top 15.

And let's go into those years back then.

Markstrom 4 years ago: 30 years old, coming off top 5 vezina finish. Worth 6 million dollars and ZERO draft capital. He was available for free. As a free agent.
Huh? 1st in GSAE, 2nd in GSAE and 4th in GSAE. Which of those 3 aren't good? He was very bad 2 years ago. We can agree on that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
????

We dont need anymore D lmao.

I’d say they really do

Ekblad, 1 year left on his deal, really not the player you want to give a longterm massive UFA deal

OEL, UFA, not a longterm solution

Forsling, UFA, 28y this summer

Montour, UFA, 30y this summer

Not a strong prospect pool

You lock up Hanifin 27y and Forsling 28y to longterm deals and you have 2/3 spots taken for a long time.

That blueline can get thin awfully quick.

So Zito gets Hanifin and signs him longterm, trades Ekblad to get the assets back, avoids the anchor contract and gets cap space to play with. Win win

Reactions: Vinman88

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ya no thanks. Zito knows how valuable Lundell is, he's been playing really well of late.
You guys dont have the assets for an extended hanifin otherwise

For rental hanifin, Samoskovich + 1st (when is your next 1st - 2025?) would be enough but at that pt why not have a lesser target this year, save the assets and go hard after hanifin in the summer as Flordia is a potential destination of his?

Reactions: RogerRoger

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

For rental hanifin, Samoskovich + 1st (when is your next 1st - 2025?) would be enough but at that pt why not have a lesser target this year, save the assets and go hard after hanifin in the summer as Flordia is a potential destination of his?
The difference between "extended hanifin" and "rental hanifin" is minimal. If it was a real way to meaningfully increase values it would happen much more often than it actually does, which is virtually never.

Florida can just trade for "rental hanifin" and extend him themselves.

Reactions: wintersej and JKG33

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I’d say they really do

Ekblad, 1 year left on his deal, really not the player you want to give a longterm massive UFA deal

OEL, UFA, not a longterm solution

Forsling, UFA, 28y this summer

Montour, UFA, 30y this summer

You lock up Hanifin 27y and Forsling 28y to longterm deals and you have 2/3 spots taken for a long time.

That blueline can get thin awfully quick

Zito has found a ton of under the radar D and forwards already. I trust his ability.
He has a couple different options in keeping one of Ekblad or Montour (I prefer Montour).

Trade Ekblad in July like Huberdeau was.
Get a younger RD with upside.
Re-sign Montour to 6 yrs x $6 mil.

Forsling - Montour
Mikkola - RD in trade
Vet D - promoted prospect

Let Montour walk, sign a 2nd pair guy and use Ekblad as your own rental for the year. Use your 2026 1st + prospect for a RD to replace some of Ekblads void.

Forsling - Ekblad
Mikkola - signed UFA (Dumba as example)
Vet D - prospect

It's not as dire as everyone thinks.

I'm not disagreeing with your assets provided, I'm saying Zito shouldn't do that trade though.

I agree about the 2nd comment, if Hanifin wants to walk to UFA and come to Florida, that's the better path IMO.
We need a forward, not a D this deadline.
In July it's a different story.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Zito has found a ton of under the radar D and forwards already. I trust his ability.
He has a couple different options in keeping one of Ekblad or Montour (I prefer Montour).

Forsling - Montour
Mikkola - RD in trade

Let Montour walk, sign a 2nd pair guy and use Ekblad as your own rental for the year. Use your 2026 1st + prospect for a RD.

Forsling - Ekblad
Vet D - prospect

I'm not disagreeing with your assets provided, I'm saying Zito shouldn't do that trade though.
Yeah I agree with that take to then

Panthers are super nova hot, playing great hockey unfortunately right now and just made finals last year

Dont think they need a big name this year. Assess Montour + Ekblad + Forsling play in the playoffs then decide who to sign/trade and see if hanifin the free wallet asset can be filled into long term plans for the team while being a top pairing guy most of expected deal

The difference between "extended hanifin" and "rental hanifin" is minimal. If it was a real way to meaningfully increase values it would happen much more often than it actually does, which is virtually never.

Florida can just trade for "rental hanifin" and extend him themselves.
Flordia would be taking the risk that they can get him to stay.

The price would be lower in this case.

Hanifin isnt dead set on the panthers

Bruins, Panthers, Red Wings, Stars, and a couple other American teams will want him and give him offers if he reaches UFA

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Forsling - Montour
Mikkola - RD in trade

Let Montour walk, sign a 2nd pair guy and use Ekblad as your own rental for the year. Use your 2026 1st + prospect for a RD.

Forsling - Ekblad
Vet D - prospect

I understand why he’d want Hanifin.

Swapping Ekblad with Hanifin makes perfect sense, that caliber Dmen aren’t available every week and if you can set your blueline longterm with players in their prime it’s a no brainer.
It’s a win now window and like the Tkachuk trade Hanifin trade/signing would help to keep it open for longer

Zito has been killing it with finding steals for the blueline but you can’t bet everything on it and bet on keeping finding leaders, or the anchors of the blueline like that.

Hanifin is in his prime and he’d bring that quality stability that Floridas blueline could really use.

Paying big money for either or both Montour and Ekblad carries a ton of risk

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Panthers are super nova hot, playing great hockey unfortunately right now and just made finals last year

Dont think they need a big name this year. Assess Montour + Ekblad + Forsling play in the playoffs then decide who to sign/trade and see if hanifin the free wallet asset can be filled into long term plans for the team while being a top pairing guy most of expected deal

Forsling is a must and is likely priority #1 with Reinhart a very close 2nd.
Lundell #3 and then it's a bunch of depth options on forward/defense.

I think Forsling and Montour is the better duo to keep long term. Montour will be cheaper than Ekblads current 7.5 caphit and he wont get 7-8 yrs IMO.

I don't think people realize how much of a fitness freak Montour is and he plays more minutes than any of our D.

Ekblads next deal may be scary as f***, his IQ, shot and scoring ability is still there but the legs are shot.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Flordia would be taking the risk that they can get him to stay.

The price would be lower in this case.

Hanifin isnt dead set on the panthers

Bruins, Panthers, Red Wings, Stars, and a couple other American teams will want him and give him offers if he reaches UFA
They can sign him to an extension whenever they want before UFA if they trade for him. In fact it's much easier to negotiate with a player you actually have on your team, rather than trying to negotiate through a middleman.

Has calgary even let Hanifin and his agent begin discussions with potential suitors about an extension? If they haven't then it's a moot point.

A rental is a rental.

And quite frankly, I'd rather see how a player fits in before offering a shitton of money.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If I am Conroy I am pushing back for Carter Verhaeghe, even if Flames need to add.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wonder if they'd move Ekblad to another team and use some of those assets on trading for Hanifin

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If I am Conroy I am pushing back for Carter Verhaeghe, even if Flames need to add.

Ya good luck with that.
If you've heard Bill Zito talk about Verhaeghe, you will understand my pic below.

cat-meme.gif

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010

He's good, but why would the Flames want another winger? a 28 year old one too.
They need centers and want to get younger. Lundell would be the target for the Flames.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I see very little in the Panthers roster/system that would entice me if I was Calgary's GM.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He's good, but why would the Flames want another winger? a 28 year old one too.
They need centers and want to get younger. Lundell would be the target for the Flames.

I'd like that as well. Huberdeau needs a Verhaeghe though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad