Weekes: Panthers pushing for Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'll echo the others in that I'm only really interested in Lundell.
Could use Knight too, if Markstrom does get traded.
Knight earns 4.5M and is buried in the minors. Not so sure about that idea.

FLA will have to be very careful not to upset the chemistry of their first place club. They could very well make it to the finals.

Trouble is they don't have much draft capital and their farm team really doesn't have much to offer in the way of "A" prospects.

This suggests to me that they might be all in and prepared to part with the minimal number of players necessary to get someone of Hanifin's quality. Especially if their arch rivals are sniffing around as well.

I think they may part with Eetu Luostarinen, Brandon Montour, 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd or something along those lines.

Whatever they do, there are other reports out there (Nick Kypreos) that BOS is close to a deal involving Grzelcyk, Poitras, and Merkulov for an extended Hanifin (7.5 x 8).

Personally I expect something to go down before the Flames play Florida and Tampa Bay next week.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He was an RFA with one year left. That's a rental. Same as Tkachuk was.
He would've signed with the team regardless of if it was before or after the trade.

Trading a UFA as signed doesn't have the value you think it does. The Flames have little leverage regarding a signing

drede

Jul 13, 2023
1st roster player and decent prospect not a top one is what good rentals tend to get in a trade

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He was an RFA with one year left. That's a rental. Same as Tkachuk was.
It is not. The NHL market has never valued them the same.

And even from a value standpoint. Tkachuk was at minimum a 12+ million dollar asset asking for 9.5x8 (I personally value him at around 14 but I digress). That's 20 million dollars in surplus value. On the low end.

Hanifin will be looking for an extension around his market value

Reactions: JKG33

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If we trade Hanifin, we'll have a ton of cap room. Florida will have to move salary to fit him in.
If taking Knight helps us get Lundell, I'm all for it. He could still turn out to be a star.
If we don't get Lundell, then I'd rather just move on.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They have Jack Devine that's worth a lot, maybe close to a 1st round prospect. Such a nice 7th rounder by them. Could use him instead of having to deal Lundell, but dealing Lundell likely limits the amount of other assets they have to add.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
If we trade Hanifin, we'll have a ton of cap room. Florida will have to move salary to fit him in.
If taking Knight helps us get Lundell, I'm all for it. He could still turn out to be a star.
And ull need another goalie after marksrom gets moved

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lindell & Knight both? Lol

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Knight is not a cap dump. NJD would offer a late 1st, or Toffoli 50% retained for him

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The entire basis of a trade with Florida is premised on the idea that Hanifin's signing an extension with them. That should mean the Flames get more than typical rental value.

But if the Panthers aren't willing to give up anything more than rental value, then why would the Flames be inclined to send him there given Florida's empty cupboards and no 1st round pick until 2026 or 2027? If that's the case, the Flames are just better off finding the best rental value they can get within the parameters of Hanifin's 8 team no trade list.

Florida's honestly just a poor trading given the lack of picks and worthwhile prospects. They're better off re-signing their own UFA defencemen.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
It is not. The NHL market has never valued them the same.

And even from a value standpoint. Tkachuk was at minimum a 12+ million dollar asset asking for 9.5x8 (I personally value him at around 14 but I digress). That's 20 million dollars in surplus value. On the low end.

Hanifin will be looking for an extension around his market value
14m that nuts

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Knight is not a cap dump. NJD would offer a late 1st, or Toffoli 50% retained for him
That would be really dumb. But with the way Fitz has handled his goaltending not surprising. "Hey, I know, let's bet on a bad AHL goalie with a contending roster."

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The entire basis of a trade with Florida is premised on the idea that Hanifin's signing an extension with them. That should mean the Flames get more than typical rental value.

But if the Panthers aren't willing to give up anything more than rental value, then why would the Flames be inclined to send him there given Florida's empty cupboards and no 1st round pick until 2026 or 2027? If that's the case, the Flames are just better off finding the best rental value they can get within the parameters of Hanifin's 8 team no trade list.

Florida's honestly just a poor trading given the lack of picks and worthwhile prospects. They're better off re-signing their own UFA defencemen.
"Signed" UFAs rarely get much of if any premium vs a pure rental.

Every year fans with a premium rental think they'll get some insane overpayment if the player is "signed" yet it rarely ever happens. The team just doesn't have the leverage when they're a week away from losing the player for nothing.

I do agree though, Florida doesn't have much for tradeable assets and is a poor trading partner

Reactions: dgibb10

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

FLA will have to be very careful not to upset the chemistry of their first place club. They could very well make it to the finals.

Trouble is they don't have much draft capital and their farm team really doesn't have much to offer in the way of "A" prospects.

This suggests to me that they might be all in and prepared to part with the minimal number of players necessary to get someone of Hanifin's quality. Especially if their arch rivals are sniffing around as well.

I think they may part with Eetu Luostarinen, Brandon Montour, 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd or something along those lines.

Whatever they do, there are other reports out there (Nick Kypreos) that BOS is close to a deal involving Grzelcyk, Poitras, and Merkulov for an extended Hanifin (7.5 x 8).

Personally I expect something to go down before the Flames play Florida and Tampa Bay next week.
That boston deal would sure address the center depth. Poitras wouldn't be a player I'd move if I was Boston. I like him more than Lundell.

Wouldn't Florida take that without thinking twice?
Of course. No way an NHL GM is that dumb though.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
God he's so good looking. I want him, I need him.

Flobros would be filthy with him. Still hope he prefers Tampa, but we'll see what happens!

drede

Jul 13, 2023
"Signed" UFAs rarely get much of if any premium vs a pure rental.

Every year fans with a premium rental think they'll get some insane overpayment if the player is "signed" yet it rarely ever happens. The team just doesn't have the leverage when they're a week away from losing the player for nothing.

I do agree though, Florida doesn't have much for tradeable assets and is a poor trading partner
If he came with an 8 year extension he would forsure get a great value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad