Weekes: Panthers pushing for Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If he came with an 8 year extension he would forsure get a great value
Not significantly more than just as a UFA.

Look at what the Canucks paid for Lindholm (unsigned) vs what they got for Horvat (signed shortly after the trade)

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Not significantly more than just as a UFA.

Look at what the Canucks paid for Lindholm (unsigned) vs what they got for Horvat (signed shortly after the trade)
I think the money that horvat wanted lowered his value a bit

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Wouldn't Florida take that without thinking twice?
Who knows. Knight is 22 years old tho lmao. Askarov is the same age, hasn't cracked the NHL, same with wolf, Levi doesn't look good.

20 year old Knight was a quality NHL netminder.

If he costs less, we pay less, if he's a dump we'll happily take it on.

That would be really dumb. But with the way Fitz has handled his goaltending not surprising. "Hey, I know, let's bet on a bad AHL goalie with a contending roster."
I'd rather pay a 1st for Knight than any of the packages flames fans think they'll get for Markstrom

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Not to mention different players have different value
Sure, but they're the most comparable situations I could think of given the trades were 1 year apart, involved the same team twice, and are comparable players.

If you have an example to contradict me I'd love to hear it

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Seriously, what do they have to give lol

It's gonna be something immensely underwhelming like a 2027 1st + Sourdif/Sawchyn/Jansson + cap

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I don't really buy it tbh. Same with the Tampa stuff. Neither team has a first for 2 years, both have pretty low ranked prospect pools, both would have to do a decent amount of roster surgery to keep him beyond this year.

This feels like Calgary leaking this to try to gain a little more leverage in the market to me.

Reactions: JKG33 and horner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't really buy it tbh. Same with the Tampa stuff. Neither team has a first for 2 years, both have pretty low ranked prospect pools, both would have to do a decent amount of roster surgery to keep him beyond this year.

This feels like Calgary leaking this to try to gain a little more leverage in the market to me.
This. No doubt Hanifin wants to sign in Tampa/Florida, but Calgary is better off taking the best rental offer and Hanifin can head south in July

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he wants to come here, it can be in July.
We don't have the available assets nor should we move more of our good prospects to do it.

We need a forward, not a defenseman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Who knows. Knight is 22 years old tho lmao. Askarov is the same age, hasn't cracked the NHL, same with wolf, Levi doesn't look good.

20 year old Knight was a quality NHL netminder.

If he costs less, we pay less, if he's a dump we'll happily take it on.

I'd rather pay a 1st for Knight than any of the packages flames fans think they'll get for Markstrom
Then you aren't very good at identifying talent. One is a top 5 NHL goaltender. The other is a bottom third AHL goalie. Our AHL backup is way better than Knight. He's not good. We have a guy in the ECHL who is likely better. He's substantially worse than any of the 3 goalies you've used in NJ this year. Markstrom leads the league is GSAE. Your opinion is really dumb. It would be like saying you prefer William Stromgren to Jack Hughes.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
The only way The Panthers have the assets is if they move one of their core players, which I don't see them doing, since they don't really have a glaring defensive need, and are SOOO much better defensively than last years team.

What they do need is either a 3rd line winger or a sniper they can play next to Barkov and move ERod down to the 3rd line with Lundell and Loustarinen, and I even doubt they really have the assets to acquire even that kind of player.

I think all of this Hanafin to Florida hype is just that, nothing more than a way to drive up the price.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Praying this was just leaked so others up their offers, nothing the Panthers would be willing to give up, makes any sense as a return.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Ugh.

I feel like the Leafs are in tough against Florida as is.

I think it would be great for Florida, but I don't know what they have to offer that could beat some other teams best offer

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Then you aren't very good at identifying talent. One is a top 5 NHL goaltender. The other is a bottom third AHL goalie. Our AHL backup is way better than Knight. He's not good. We have a guy in the ECHL who is likely better. He's substantially worse than any of the 3 goalies you've used in NJ this year. Markstrom leads the league is GSAE. Your opinion is really dumb. It would be like saying you prefer William Stromgren to Jack Hughes.
One is 34 years old. Markstrom is a move to try and salvage a lost season, where based on his history he MAYBE lives up to his contract next year and when he's 36 is likely actively harming the devils. His poor play in 22-23 and 20-21 are big reasons why Calgary missed the playoffs those years. And the asking prices from calgary fans are utterly ridiculous

One is 22, and would be a play to align with the long term window of our core. Dustin Wolf is older than him. And Knight already has multiple years under his belt as a quality NHL goalie. Bring in a stopgap like DeSmith just in case and roll with DeSmith Daws and Knight. Save cap, assets.

• Haha
Reactions: tmurfin

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I can't blame them for doing it, but Ray Charles could see what's really happening here.

:laugh: It's a good marketing tool.
I'm sure Zito is laughing as well.

You heard his comment about buying an Armani suit but having to wait until it goes on sale at TJ Maxx right?

His best available trade piece(s) IMO are the 2025 2nd + a B level prospect not named Samoskevich or Sourdif.

• Haha
Reactions: Mase

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Praying this was just leaked so others up their offers, nothing the Panthers would be willing to give up, makes any sense as a return.
I have no doubt in my mind most of the players in this poker game have already shown their hands.

The Flames know what they have to choose from, the major sticking point is Hanafin and his willingness to sign a new deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad