Rumor: Panthers interested in Tyson Barrie

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't forget the MacKinnon and Landeskog drafts!

Those ones aren't so bad.

Landy vs Huberdeau is pretty fair, Landy is more complete player but Huberdeau has just as much offensive skill/production
Mackinnon vs Barkov, one is way more offensive minded and a 90+pt player and the other is a defensive stud capable of 30g/ ppg pace.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah I mean considering the Avs picked first all three times, Barkov and Hubderdeau was a fine outcome for the Panthers, it's only the Crouse/Rantanen draft that is a stinker for them. Ironically, I think a majority of Panthers fans wanted Rantanen while a pretty large contingent of Avs fans wanted Crouse (though some of that may have been assuming Mikko would have been off the board before then).

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Tampering? Are there rules against making great hockey trades and getting lucky?

The Avs already fell from 1st to 4th after their 48 point season, because Edmonton broke the system, and it was changed right before the Avs draft.

So if they get a 3rd top 10 pick, the league should step in? And do what?

It won't happen.

They should step in and say that’s tampering. Knowing you have two top 10 picks one being first overall and trading with Panthers for another lottery pick is tampering. You’ll have 9 and 10 plus first overall.

It’s collusion of Avs wanting a one year rebuild and other teams are secretly helping you. That’s how I would spin it to Bettman if I was in that top 10 draft lottery. NBA would step in so fast. Soooo fast if this was the NBA.

And you’re in denial because you’ll have 3 lottery picks and everything benefits you. Take off your homer glasses and look at the scenario if it was other way around. :thumbd:

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
They should step in and say that’s tampering. Knowing you have two top 10 picks one being first overall and trading with Panthers for another lottery pick is tampering. You’ll have 9 and 10 plus first overall.

It’s collusion of Avs wanting a one year rebuild and other teams are secretly helping you. That’s how I would spin it to Bettman if I was in that top 10 draft lottery. NBA would step in so fast. Soooo fast if this was the NBA.

And you’re in denial because you’ll have 3 lottery picks and everything benefits you. Take off your homer glasses and look at the scenario if it was other way around. :thumbd:

what's your annual tin foil budget?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Are you joking?

Reactions: MacBradley

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
what's your annual tin foil budget?
He's obviously joking. Nobody in their right mind would say a pick the Avs traded for 2 years ago, which was lottery protected, plus their own first, plus a 1st round pick that is most likely not even happening, is some grand conspiracy.

Rebuilding quickly isn't against the rules.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No slight on Barrie but if we're offering up Huberdeau, more defensive minded guys like Trouba, Pesce, Manson get me doing a deal. If we didn't have Yandle and Barrie was interested in re-signing here, that's a different story.

Agreed on what FLA should be looking for but this is simply going off of what's been rumored.

I would be shocked if the Avs were to move Tyson Barrie for a futures package. They'd be looking at moving him for an established, quality Top-6 forward not picks and prospects.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Are you joking?

It’s not a joke and it’s tampering. But everything benefits the Avs so you don’t see the issues of us others in the top 10. Carry on with tampering and collusion. This certainly wouldn’t be approved in the NBA just so you know that.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It’s not a joke and it’s tampering. But everything benefits the Avs so you don’t see the issues of us others in the top 10. Carry on with tampering and collusion. This certainly wouldn’t be approved in the NBA just so you know that.
Lol collusion???

Good thing the NBA doesn't make the rules in the NHL.

Your ridiculous, but thanks for the laugh.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

giphy.gif

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agreed on what FLA should be looking for but this is simply going off of what's been rumored.

I would be shocked if the Avs were to move Tyson Barrie for a futures package. They'd be looking at moving him for an established, quality Top-6 forward not picks and prospects.

Who you got in mind for the top 6 forward? Would have to be someone who has a similar contract situation no? One would assume Barrie wants to test free agency life?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hubs for Barrie really is fair value and somewhat fills the needs of both teams. Florida probably prefers a more defensively minded Dman but they need Defensive help in general and having both Barrie and Yandle on the team means one of them is on the ice for at least 45 minutes a game which means some really fantastic puck movement from the back end. But Hubs would be a fantastic add to our 2nd line and especially if he got a chance to play with Jack Hughes next year I could see them essentially becoming our 2nd 1st line very quickly.

I'd like to find a way to snag Vatrano out of Florida as well, but not sure that's possible. Would Barrie + Kerfoot for Huberdeau + Vatrano be close I wonder.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why not a trade like Barrie to the Panthers for Hoffman? Both players got another year to their contract, both will become UFA in 2020, both got similar AAV (5,5 M$ for Barrie and 5,187 for Hoffman). Panthers desperatly need help at D and Avs need a top-6 goal scorer to play on their second line.
But it's not, Hoffman is a dime-a-dozen winger who just came from a negative situation which centered around him. Of course he can absolutely be innocent, but you're comparing a winger for an elite point producing defender. Barrie has issues defencively and frustrating perks, but he clearly has way more pros to his game than cons. Barrie for Huberdeau would be pretty even, perhaps throw in an extra piece from the Avs. It would be Barrie+ for someone liek Trocheck, who might not be better offencively than Hubs, but is signed at a better contract and is an effin' good player in his own right.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Really don't think there's any interest in Hoffman from Colorado's end. Not the place to get into it but I've heard enough from someone who's well trusted on the Avs board to indicate that his popularity issues might go beyond the incident with his girlfriend and the Karlssons. I think there's good reason Ottawa turfed him so quickly, especially since they then proceeded to move Karlsson too. If the Avs wanted him I think they could have pursued him this offseason when they needed scoring help -- he was pretty inexpensive. I also flat out don't think a winger of Hoffman's calibre is capable of fetching a D of Barrie's calibre. A right handed top four defensman is one of the most valuable pieces in the league -- a complimentary scoring winger one of the least (by position). Barrie was pacing for 68 points last year and 63 this year. He's one of the premier offensive defensmen in the league.

Think the Avs would want Huberdeau if Barrie is indeed available...maybe they add, I'm not sure.

... and I'm not convinced Barrie is available, incidentally. AJ wouldn't make stuff up, but he doesn't have a history that indicates he doesn't exactly call things that then happen like the Friedmans / LeBruns of the world.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Really don't think there's any interest in Hoffman from Colorado's end. Not the place to get into it but I've heard enough from someone who's well trusted on the Avs board to indicate that his popularity issues might go beyond the incident with his girlfriend and the Karlssons. I think there's good reason Ottawa turfed him so quickly, especially since they then proceeded to move Karlsson too. If the Avs wanted him I think they could have pursued him this offseason when they needed scoring help -- he was pretty inexpensive. I also flat out don't think a winger of Hoffman's calibre is capable of fetching a D of Barrie's calibre. A right handed defensman is one of the most valuable pieces in the league -- a complimentary scoring winger one of the least (by position). Barrie was pacing for 68 points last year and 63 this year. He's one of the premier offensive defensmen in the league.

Think the Avs would want Huberdeau if Barrie is indeed available...maybe they add, I'm not sure.

... and I'm not convinced Barrie is available, incidentally. AJ wouldn't make stuff up, but he doesn't have a history that indicates he doesn't exactly call things that then happen like the Friedmans / LeBruns of the world.
I have also heard Hoffman + his wife have been known tools for years.

Also, Barrie has been in trade rumours for years. I'd like to see it happen, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Unless of course, our tampering works out, and we get a top 10 first for him. Mission success.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

This is a ridiculous opinion. Its not like we haven't given up quality pieces in order to get those picks. Now if we got a top ten pick for Gabriel Bourque thats a different story. Teams don't trade top ten picks for nothing.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I haven't seen too many rumours associated with this guy, so it seems he doesnt just throw shit out there to get more followers.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hubs for Barrie really is fair value and somewhat fills the needs of both teams. Florida probably prefers a more defensively minded Dman but they need Defensive help in general and having both Barrie and Yandle on the team means one of them is on the ice for at least 45 minutes a game which means some really fantastic puck movement from the back end. But Hubs would be a fantastic add to our 2nd line and especially if he got a chance to play with Jack Hughes next year I could see them essentially becoming our 2nd 1st line very quickly.

I'd like to find a way to snag Vatrano out of Florida as well, but not sure that's possible. Would Barrie + Kerfoot for Huberdeau + Vatrano be close I wonder.

Don't see the need for Barrie at the expense of losing Huberdeau when we have Yandle. We're fine already offensively from the backend. Ekblad is on pace for 15-16 goals/35+ pts, Yandle is on pace for 10 goals/60pts and Matheson is pacing 8 goals/30 pts.

The whole FLA board loves Frank the Tank, V-unit, Frankie etc. Kid is a useful middle 6 winger, 18 of 19 goals 5 on 5. We are horrid 5 on 5 scoring, can't trade him. Hoping he gets a 2-3 year deal in off-season. Barrie is suited better somewhere else.

But it's not, Hoffman is a dime-a-dozen winger who just came from a negative situation which centered around him. Of course he can absolutely be innocent, but you're comparing a winger for an elite point producing defender. Barrie has issues defencively and frustrating perks, but he clearly has way more pros to his game than cons. Barrie for Huberdeau would be pretty even, perhaps throw in an extra piece from the Avs. It would be Barrie+ for someone liek Trocheck, who might not be better offencively than Hubs, but is signed at a better contract and is an effin' good player in his own right.

I prefer to trade Huberdeau's cap/term friendly deal and swap it for a top 4 D that has 3-4 years left on his deal.
The whole Huberdeau rumor is reaching, we offer up Hoffman + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd for a top 4 RD before Huberdeau and adding the uncertainity of the Bob/Panarin situation only complicates things with bringing in Barrie who needs a new deal soon and may not stay.

Really don't think there's any interest in Hoffman from Colorado's end. Not the place to get into it but I've heard enough from someone who's well trusted on the Avs board to indicate that his popularity issues might go beyond the incident with his girlfriend and the Karlssons. I think there's good reason Ottawa turfed him so quickly, especially since they then proceeded to move Karlsson too. If the Avs wanted him I think they could have pursued him this offseason when they needed scoring help -- he was pretty inexpensive. I also flat out don't think a winger of Hoffman's calibre is capable of fetching a D of Barrie's calibre. A right handed top four defensman is one of the most valuable pieces in the league -- a complimentary scoring winger one of the least (by position). Barrie was pacing for 68 points last year and 63 this year. He's one of the premier offensive defensmen in the league.

Just not a fit considering Barrie needing a BIG new deal with Ekblad at $7.5 million long term and we aren;t hurting for more offense from the back end. Where could you see Barrie being traded and possibly re-signing?

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
This is a ridiculous opinion. Its not like we haven't given up quality pieces in order to get those picks. Now if we got a top ten pick for Gabriel Bourque thats a different story. Teams don't trade top ten picks for nothing.

I’m thinking In the draft positions you’re in already? Adding another lottery pick seems like collusion. I can’t remember a time where a team had 3 lottery picks in a single draft. In a very long time. That screams collusion and tampering to me. And like I said NBA wouldn’t stand for it.

I’ve said my piece. And those are my thoughts. Carry on with your rumor mill thread. I won’t derail anymore.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’m thinking In the draft positions you’re in already? Adding another lottery pick seems like collusion. I can’t remember a time where a team had 3 lottery picks in a single draft. In a very long time. That screams collusion and tampering to me. And like I said NBA wouldn’t stand for it.

I’ve said my piece. And those are my thoughts. Carry on with your rumor mill thread. I won’t derail anymore.
WHAT IS COLLUSION??????

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad