OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
19 years to get out of the 1st round is nowhere near comparable to a team that 1 cup and appeared in 2 other finals in 8 years. That's better than what? +90% of the league?
Yeah but they've also blown a 3-0 lead and soon to be three 3-1 leads if they don't pull it out on Saturday

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
How did Marchand not getting suspended for pushing the ref after coming back from a game suspension?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I don't think they have suspensions for that shorter than 10 games.
So he gets a free pass? IF they dont suspend him for shoving a referree both our goals should have counted since the rules do not matter and are not followed by the refs or nhl.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't know what would be funnier: Boston choking away a second 3-1 series lead in a row or the Leafs getting bounced in the first round again.

I guess it's a choke-off.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Weren't they big on being independent just a year ago? That didn't last long then.
update:

As an old IHL fan, I'm sympathetic to the independently minded teams like Chicago. I do think that they could theoretically still win as an independent team, although there are clearly obstacles, and more than there were ~25ish years ago.

They still did better than Bridgeport.

We never really heard Carolina's side of the story, although Don Waddell was one of those independent IHL GMs, and Carolina affiliates had won the last two Calder Cups.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Turns out beating us to, finally, get to the second round is the only "Cup" that core is ever going to win. What a waste of talent, it's honestly amazing. That's as mentally broken a team that perhaps pro sports has ever seen.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Turns out beating us to, finally, get to the second round is the only "Cup" that core is ever going to win. What a waste of talent, it's honestly amazing. That's as mentally broken a team that perhaps pro sports has ever seen.

The only reason the streak broke was because Vasi handed it to them, the team in front outplayed the Leafs for sure. Should be at 20 years.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
A good way to prevent this feeling is to read through the main boards for 15 minutes.
This. They brought it on themselves. For every thread about a sunrise or someone's dinner that evolved into a leafs player thread by the end of page one another year is tacked on to the misery.

Their fanbase has this weird paradoxical effect. They expect the world because they have four HOF players that have eclipsed Gretzky, they should win. Yet, when they lose they want them kicked off the team, left at the airport, dissected on a Twitter post by Omar, etc. They bitch and complain about refs instead of realizing they have a mentally weak core, and the aura around the fans is being galvanized the same way. There's this weird back and forth between the fans, media, and management where the answer is obvious and they talk themselves out of problem-solving every summer. I love it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that OT. It was like torture momentarily for both fanbases when each scored, then OT....I wanted five overtimes and something controversial. Toronto losing in the end was delicious, though bittersweet to see our other victim make it to round two. I hope the Rangers/Canes beat the piss out of whoever wins from Florida/Boston. Yeah, that's how I feel. :laugh:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's only too bad that the game was on a Saturday. If you want the hot takes, you need the weekday media shows.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This. They brought it on themselves. For every thread about a sunrise or someone's dinner that evolved into a leafs player thread by the end of page one another year is tacked on to the misery.

Their fanbase has this weird paradoxical effect. They expect the world because they have four HOF players that have eclipsed Gretzky, they should win. Yet, when they lose they want them kicked off the team, left at the airport, dissected on a Twitter post by Omar, etc. They bitch and complain about refs instead of realizing they have a mentally weak core, and the aura around the fans is being galvanized the same way. There's this weird back and forth between the fans, media, and management where the answer is obvious and they talk themselves out of problem-solving every summer. I love it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that OT. It was like torture momentarily for both fanbases when each scored, then OT....I wanted five overtimes and something controversial. Toronto losing in the end was delicious, though bittersweet to see our other victim make it to round two. I hope the Rangers/Canes beat the piss out of whoever wins from Florida/Boston. Yeah, that's how I feel. :laugh:
FWIW, I don't think the answer is obvious.

Losing in game 7 OT creates uncertainty, which is a terrible place to be. One shot the other way and everything is fine. The Bruins end up the ones who need to retool everything.

On one hand, the results do matter, but you also can't let it be about a single game or a single result.

The Leafs need to examine if they have the right coaching staff.

The posture I take is that the tie does not go to the runner. It's a harder stance, but if there's uncertainty, then it's probably better to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad