Rumor: Panthers interested in Tyson Barrie

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You keep mentioning that we shouldn't be relying on youth to fill holes yet you want to get rid of our best minute muncher atm on defense. I know EJ has shown some decline but I'mnot convinced he'll drop of a cliff necessarily. I think he might remain a strong top 4 guy for quite a few more years. Just maybe we'll have to reduce responsibility to 2nd pair stay at home guy. Atleast as his primary responsibility.

It's largely that I'm just not looking forward to the last year or (more likely) two of his contract; when we'll be paying him 6M and (likely) just hoping that he can still make do in a mid-pairing role. I'm not saying he's expendable because of Makar / Girard / Zadorov / Meloche / Timmins & we can simply bank on the kids to replace him...just that I don't think it's wise for us to bank on him to fill that role for too much longer either.

It's similar to the point we've gotten to with Varly. I want Semyon gone now because he's not the solution anymore & he's just taking up minutes/capspace that could be used on testing what we do have...or on a real solution that is brought in from the outside. We're not at that point yet with EJ, but I expect that we will hit that point over the next 2-3 years.

Also; just because we convince EJ to waive his NMC & leave him exposed, doesn't mean Seattle will pick the then 33-year-old, who'll turn 34 during their inaugural season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because he's a great player and would be your best PP QB
While trading one of the best finishers on the team and their best C prospect.

Barrie may or may not be worth that value in a vacuum, but this deal makes FLA worse in the present and the future. Avs are better off looking at other teams if they want to deal Barrie.

As has been said repeatedly: They need a more defensive guy.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah while he may not be the best fit, I don't see how there would be a better overall player available and the Avs are one of the better teams to help Fla with clearing out cap space as well.

It'll be interesting to see where Barrie goes, but if its Fla that wouldn't be surprising.
I think pesce or
Manson would be better overall fits for Florida. And we can fill either of those teams needs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think pesce or
Manson would be better overall fits for Florida. And we can fill either of those teams needs

Agreed they are better fits, although I question the viability and price of each one a bit more than I do Barrie. Also it depends on how much Fla cares about cap space. I think all of the names are valid options with pro's and cons Fla would be considering.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The Tyson Barrie situation for the Avalanche is simple. He is UFA after next year, and with Girard, Makar and a lesser extent Timmins (fingers crossed) they have enough options to generate offense from the backend without paying someone 8M+ for their services, especially when the player is one dimensional. It could also get tricky for them come the expansion draft if they acquire another top forward or 2. The only reason he will stay on the roster is because he's BFFs with Mackinnon, but from a business perspective him staying on the team doesn't make much sense, as that money is best spent elsewhere.

That being said, he's a very valuable entity around the league and will garner a nice return. Hence why it makes sense to trade him. I doubt this is an in-season move though and more likely made at/around the draft, unless it's a larger package with the Avs getting an NHL caliber defenseman coming the other way. I think the Avs are still interested in making the playoffs, as they should be.

Absolutely agree.

Some of the idiotic comments like EJ buying out, waives his NTC after he accepted less money to stay or trade; offer a second player in the ED; or practically give Barrie whatever he wants because Makar is not ready. The amount of effort is so astounding, it just gives Barrie even more leverage in his negotiations.

Newport is quite aggressive in valuing their clients, there is little chance he will accept a reasonable offer. His agent will force a trade and shrink the markability, already reduced as he get closer to being a UFA. There are better fits and other team might be willing to accept his demands, but the AVs have options they've spent years in preparing to trade Barrie.

Reactions: sethro109

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You keep mentioning that we shouldn't be relying on youth to fill holes yet you want to get rid of our best minute muncher atm on defense. I know EJ has shown some decline but I'mnot convinced he'll drop of a cliff necessarily. I think he might remain a strong top 4 guy for quite a few more years. Just maybe we'll have to reduce responsibility to 2nd pair stay at home guy. Atleast as his primary responsibility.

Buyout the heart and soul of the team to keep Barrie. Don't believe he'll fall off the cliff either, but that was a surprising comment.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Buyout the heart and soul of the team to keep Barrie. Don't believe he'll fall off the cliff either, but that was a surprising comment.

No one was suggesting that we buy EJ out today. It's a contingency plan to deal with an unlikely situation, 2 1/2 years in the future. If he's not one of our 3 best expansion draft eligible defensemen by 2021 and refuses to waive his NMC and be exposed, buying him out will absolutely be on the table. It's a worst case scenario, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have a plan ready in case it happens.

Reactions: cgf

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Barrie for Huberdeau with little additions from either side seems to be a good base and fair for both teams.

Reactions: Patagonia

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
While trading one of the best finishers on the team and their best C prospect.

Barrie may or may not be worth that value in a vacuum, but this deal makes FLA worse in the present and the future. Avs are better off looking at other teams if they want to deal Barrie.

As has been said repeatedly: They need a more defensive guy.
I wasn't really referring to the value of the proposal and more about the guy questioning why the Panthers would be interested in Barrie. He's still a valuable asset and wouldn't be totally redundant due to Yandle.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Absolutely agree.

Some of the idiotic comments like EJ buying out, waives his NTC after he accepted less money to stay or trade; offer a second player in the ED; or practically give Barrie whatever he wants because Makar is not ready. The amount of effort is so astounding, it just gives Barrie even more leverage in his negotiations.

Newport is quite aggressive in valuing their clients, there is little chance he will accept a reasonable offer. His agent will force a trade and shrink the markability, already reduced as he get closer to being a UFA. There are better fits and other team might be willing to accept his demands, but the AVs have options they've spent years in preparing to trade Barrie.

It’s always cute when you get all worked up & pretend to be an expert.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We nees dmen that actually defend not more turnover machines

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No I t really doesn’t. One year of Barrie isn’t close to hubys great contract. Colorado would need a significant add

Huberdeau is rumoured to the CBJ for impending UFAs Panarin and Bobrovsky. Barrie has another year. RHD are rarely available and FLD needs a player that also creates offence.

I believe it’s riskier to pursue the UFAs than Barrie.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I wasn't really referring to the value of the proposal and more about the guy questioning why the Panthers would be interested in Barrie. He's still a valuable asset and wouldn't be totally redundant due to Yandle.

It's not about him not having value and it's not about him being totally redundant. It's about team needs. A player like Barrie isn't in the top 3 needs of the team. If they are going to spend significant assets to address a need, don't you think they should factor in needs?

For example, there are probably some good RHD out there, but if I suggested a deal for COL to trade for one, that involved one of their top scorers AND one of their 2 best F prospects, don't you think that deal would make little sense for the Avs, since RHD isn't a need?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not about him not having value and it's not about him being totally redundant. It's about team needs. A player like Barrie isn't in the top 3 needs of the team. If they are going to spend significant assets to address a need, don't you think they should factor in needs?

For example, there are probably some good RHD out there, but if I suggested a deal for COL to trade for one, that involved one of their top scorers AND one of their 2 best F prospects, don't you think that deal would make little sense for the Avs, since RHD isn't a need?

Needs are needs, but if we could get an upgrade at RHD using Soda (our 4th best forward) & Jost (one of our 2 best FWD prospects), then I’d gladly do that before using EJ or Barrie to backfill up front :dunno:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Like I said I wasn't referring to the deal. The poster I quoted said "I don't even know why the Panthers would be interested in Barrie anyways." I was just posting to give them an idea of how Florida management might see it differently. So I'm not saying that's a good deal or a bad deal. Just that Barrie isn't redundant and Florida management might look for a deal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Needs are needs, but if we could get an upgrade at RHD using Soda (our 4th best forward) & Jost (one of our 2 best FWD prospects), then I’d gladly do that before using EJ or Barrie to backfill up front :dunno:
Not all "4th best Fs are equal". Soda is having a good year, but the 3 prior years he was averaging 33 pts a year, while Hoffman was averaging 57 pts a year.

Even this year Hoffman is on pace for 69 pts while Soda is on pace for 49. So while you can maybe argue they are both "the 4th best F" it's disingenuous to compare their availability in a deal that is not a need.

None of this is a slight on Barrie. It has nothing to do with his worth as a place, only his value to a team that has more pressing needs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not all "4th best Fs are equal". Soda is having a good year, but the 3 prior years he was averaging 33 pts a year, while Hoffman was averaging 57 pts a year.

Even this year Hoffman is on pace for 69 pts while Soda is on pace for 49. So while you can maybe argue they are both "the 4th best F" it's disingenuous to compare their availability in a deal that is not a need.

None of this is a slight on Barrie. It has nothing to do with his worth as a place, only his value to a team that has more pressing needs.

Oh I know, and was trying to get at that with the "needs are needs" bit.

I was just being a smartass because Barrie gets so much undeserved shit on these boards :laugh:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
giphy.gif

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Since the season has pretty much gone to hell It's determining if the return from Barrie in trade assets, cap space and an expansion draft exemption are worth risking Makar being able to step in next year and pissing off MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad