Rumor: Panthers interested in Tyson Barrie

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Huberdeau for Barrie

Panthers need a better defensive system though...Barrie won't fix that. Their team defense is a disaster and hard to watch. Barkov is great but no wonder he sticks out so much defensively :laugh:

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Huberdeau for Barrie

Panthers need a better defensive system though...Barrie won't fix that. Their team defense is a disaster and hard to watch. Barkov is great but no wonder he sticks out so much defensively :laugh:

I was under the impression that the Huberdeau speculation was based on using him to acquire specifically Panarin and Bobrovsky, not that he was generally available.

Reactions: mikeyp24

batman8990

Jun 17, 2018
Why not a trade like Barrie to the Panthers for Hoffman? Both players got another year to their contract, both will become UFA in 2020, both got similar AAV (5,5 M$ for Barrie and 5,187 for Hoffman). Panthers desperatly need help at D and Avs need a top-6 goal scorer to play on their second line.

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
I was under the impression that the Huberdeau speculation was based on using him to acquire specifically Panarin and Bobrovsky, not that he was generally available.

I think Florida would be ridiculously stupid if they did that. Bob and panarin have been rumored to Florida beaches etc for a while now. I don't see why you trade a great contract just to possibly get bob and panarin earlier than July 1st. If anything I'm sure those two would like it more if hubey stayed or was traded for peices that help the team next year.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I think Florida would be ridiculously stupid if they did that. Bob and panarin have been rumored to Florida beaches etc for a while now. I don't see why you trade a great contract just to possibly get bob and panarin earlier than July 1st. If anything I'm sure those two would like it more if hubey stayed or was traded for peices that help the team next year.

I agree completely. Just trying to add context to the thread around why Huberdeau's name came up in the first place.

Reactions: Rantanen The Goat

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think Haefele has done enough good work to be considered a source.

Barrie is one of my dream Defenseman on the Ducks. Always invisioned him with Manson / Montour for us. Makes sense for Hubers From Panthers.

Just wish Panthers would deal with Anaheim first before giving Colorado another top 10 pick.

Colorado is gonna be stacked through this top 10 draft class.

Edit: And I don’t care that Barrie and Manson and Montour all shoot right. All 3 can play significant offense on the blueline.

Reactions: Meeqs and AvsFan29

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Huberdeau for Barrie

So Avalanche gets 3 picks in the top 10? That almost seems tampering that you’re trying to stack Avalanche in a one year rebuild. Wish this league gave commissioner veto power like NBA.

If Avalanche and Panthers talked? It would be for your first. Thats how I look at the mock drafts positions right now. Not huber

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd be somewhat interested in Cale Makar

wait....there's something wrong with my keyboard, trying to type "Cale Makar" :sarcasm:
A man can dream.

Don't see the need for Barrie? We have a similar version of him with Yandle already? Would prefer a more defensive minded top 4 RD.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I could see a Huberdeau for Barrie swap happening especially if the Panthers are going forward with this Panarin + Bobrovsky acquisition.

The Avs have a lot of cap space and could take on some salary (Reimer) to facilitate that acquisition AND they could also offer up an experienced starter like Varlamov who could then be flipped to Columbus to give them a veteran goalie for their run since they'd be giving up Bob. Varlamov was great to start the season all the way to December but then he struggled through December and January (as has the entire team) but he seems to have turned the corner and has played much better the past 3-4 games.

Not saying those would be the exact pieces in the deal but when you consider all the factors : Huberdeau supposedly available; Panthers supposed interest in Barrie; a playoff lock (pretty much) like Columbus looking to probably move Bob + Panarin; and the Avalanche having a starter they could offer + having cap flexibility that could facilitate a trade - I could see something happening. Not a 3-way trade but an Avs-Panthers trade followed by a Panthers-Blue Jackets trade.

I don't think the Avs would have interest in 29 year old Hoffman. Barrie may not be a defensive dynamo but he's a hell of a puck mover and one of the best offensive d-men in the league. Those guys just don't grow on trees.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Feel like Huberdeau and Barrie is a pretty even swap. Barrie is one of the elite RHD producers in the league. But assuming Florida’s interest in genuine I could see them balking because Huberdeau is tied down longer at a great price.

But Hoffman for me is not the piece, I think Barrie is a more valuable player than Hoffman, doesn’t matter how many 2nds or Pysyk’s you tack on. Too streaky and I’d rather see a playmaker who can make guys on the second unit better than a one dimensional scorer.

What’s in between a Huberdeau and Hoffman? :sarcasm:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I'd be somewhat interested in Cale Makar

wait....there's something wrong with my keyboard, trying to type "Cale Makar" :sarcasm:
A man can dream.

Don't see the need for Barrie? We have a similar version of him with Yandle already? Would prefer a more defensive minded top 4 RD.

Do you agree that if Avalanche got your first for Barrie. This would be fine line tampering? They already have first overall and 10 and you would be giving them 9 overall for him as well. Other Owners and GMs would definitely have concerns about that. Collusion of helping the Avalanche one year rebuild through the draft.

I’m just saying and speculating.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I could see a Huberdeau for Barrie swap happening especially if the Panthers are going forward with this Panarin + Bobrovsky acquisition.

The Avs have a lot of cap space and could take on some salary (Reimer) to facilitate that acquisition AND they could also offer up an experienced starter like Varlamov who could then be flipped to Columbus to give them a veteran goalie for their run since they'd be giving up Bob. Varlamov was great to start the season all the way to December but then he struggled through December and January (as has the entire team) but he seems to have turned the corner and has played much better the past 3-4 games.

Not saying those would be the exact pieces in the deal but when you consider all the factors : Huberdeau supposedly available; Panthers supposed interest in Barrie; a playoff lock (pretty much) like Columbus looking to probably move Bob + Panarin; and the Avalanche having a starter they could offer + having cap flexibility that could facilitate a trade - I could see something happening. Not a 3-way trade but an Avs-Panthers trade followed by a Panthers-Blue Jackets trade.

I don't think the Avs would have interest in 29 year old Hoffman. Barrie may not be a defensive dynamo but he's a hell of a puck mover and one of the best offensive d-men in the league. Those guys just don't grow on trees.

Ok we'll keep Barrie, and you can have EJ.

No slight on Barrie but if we're offering up Huberdeau, more defensive minded guys like Trouba, Pesce, Manson get me doing a deal. If we didn't have Yandle and Barrie was interested in re-signing here, that's a different story.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Feel like Huberdeau and Barrie is a pretty even swap. Barrie is one of the elite RHD producers in the league. But assuming Florida’s interest in genuine I could see them balking because Huberdeau is tied down longer at a great price.

But Hoffman for me is not the piece, I think Barrie is a more valuable player than Hoffman, doesn’t matter how many 2nds or Pysyk’s you tack on. Too streaky and I’d rather see a playmaker who can make guys on the second unit better than a one dimensional scorer.

What’s in between a Huberdeau and Hoffman? :sarcasm:

You nailed it. Avs add a bit because the long-term contract but otherwise it's quite good.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Do you agree that if Avalanche got your first for Barrie. This would be fine line tampering? They already have first overall and 10 and you would be giving them 9 overall for him as well. Other Owners and GMs would definitely have concerns about that. Collusion of helping the Avalanche one year rebuild through the draft.

Tampering? Are there rules against making great hockey trades and getting lucky?

The Avs already fell from 1st to 4th after their 48 point season, because Edmonton broke the system, and it was changed right before the Avs draft.

So if they get a 3rd top 10 pick, the league should step in? And do what?

It won't happen.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I'll fly to FLA from Canada to slap Tallon if we trade a top 10 pick to COL. It won't happen so there won't be any tampering.

The Rantanen draft took years off my life. We got Crouse. Now Tippett has decent potential to recoup the Crouse loss but watching MR tear it up makes not want to trade or help COL draft in anyway :laugh:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'll fly to FLA from Canada to slap Tallon if we trade a top 10 pick to COL. It won't happen so there won't be any tampering.

The Rantanen draft took years off my life. We got Crouse. Now Tippett has decent potential but watching MR tear it up makes not want to trade or help COL draft in anyway :laugh:
Don't forget the MacKinnon and Landeskog drafts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad