Rumor: Panthers interested in Tyson Barrie

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I’m thinking In the draft positions you’re in already? Adding another lottery pick seems like collusion. I can’t remember a time where a team had 3 lottery picks in a single draft. In a very long time. That screams collusion and tampering to me. And like I said NBA wouldn’t stand for it.

You keep saying the word collusion but i dont think you understand what it means.

In order for something to be collusion there needs to be something sneaky going on. The Panthers would need to somehow benefit from giving the Avs another top 10 pick. What would they benefit? Unless you can pull down that tinfoil hat some more and come up with some shady backroom deal that would benefit the Panthers from the Avs having three top 10 picks, it's not collusion.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
WHAT IS COLLUSION??????

I just told you it seems collusion. Teams are secretly helping you to do a quick rebuild while all of us get screwed in the top 10. Whether there’s favors coming down the line while you draft this year we don’t know.

Tell me when the last time a team drafted 3 lottery firsts please? Please tell me that statistic. If you can’t than we can easily say that’s a possibility of collusion.

Mic drop. I’m done with this thread for good.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I’m thinking In the draft positions you’re in already? Adding another lottery pick seems like collusion. I can’t remember a time where a team had 3 lottery picks in a single draft. In a very long time. That screams collusion and tampering to me. And like I said NBA wouldn’t stand for it.

I’ve said my piece. And those are my thoughts. Carry on with your rumor mill thread. I won’t derail anymore.
You should look up the definition lf collusion. Making trades for draft picks doesn't fit the description to the least.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Who you got in mind for the top 6 forward? Would have to be someone who has a similar contract situation no? One would assume Barrie wants to test free agency life?

It depends on availability. I wouldn't have thought the Panthers would want to move on from Huberdeau either but that is the current speculation.

No idea if Barrie wants to go to July 1st but if the rumored interest is true then that would probably mean that the Panthers aren't too worried about being able to sign him long-term. I don't really know if Barrie is adamant about making it to UFA...some guys just want to get paid their worth.

It's a bit ironic where both the Avs and Panthers franchises are currently at in this point in time. Both teams have a great deal of talent (and upcoming prospects) and I think both teams were expecting to be better than where they are currently in the standings. We seem to mirror one another in the sense that something probably needs to be changed up significantly to take the next step.

It's going to be a fun next 10-12 days.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I just told you it seems collusion. Teams are secretly helping you to do a quick rebuild while all of us get screwed in the top 10. Whether there’s favors coming down the line while you draft this year we don’t know.

Tell me when the last time a team drafted 3 lottery firsts please? Please tell me that statistic. If you can’t than we can easily say that’s a possibility of collusion.

If this is your definition of collusion, then every trade where one team gets the better end of the deal (hint: that's literally every trade) is possibly collusion. C'mon man.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Mic drop.
First off. Collusional is a stupid word.

Secondly, the Avs don't have 3 lottery picks.

Thirdly, no teams are secretly helping the Avs rebuild, and the OTT pick was traded for 2 years ago, and we traded them Duchene.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I was under the impression that the Huberdeau speculation was based on using him to acquire specifically Panarin and Bobrovsky, not that he was generally available.

If Fla feels like they are for sure getting Panarin, considering that along with their already insane winger depth and need to clear cap space to make it happen, it makes sense why they would be open to moving out one of their current wingers to fill other holes.

Wonder what the Avs would have to do to get Hubby for Barrie. Maybe add Jost, a 3rd and offer to swap Grubbi for one of their current goalies to save them more cap. The Avs could also retain on Barrie to help Fla out.

I feel like Fla could find better options possibly but its not too unrealistic.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

GM's don't make trades that they think don't help them. There is no motivation for them to do this.
Ottawa made a bad decision and overestimated their future.
Colorado overestimate our team this season.
If we trade Barrie for a top 10 pick thats an equal value trade.(TBH the Avs are losing here)
None of these fall in line with the word Collusion.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Why not a trade like Barrie to the Panthers for Hoffman? Both players got another year to their contract, both will become UFA in 2020, both got similar AAV (5,5 M$ for Barrie and 5,187 for Hoffman). Panthers desperatly need help at D and Avs need a top-6 goal scorer to play on their second line.

Mostly because the Avs are still rebuilding, they NEED to get someone back with term or a bunch of futures. They can't move Barrie for a guy who will be a UFA in 1 year. Also with how much interest there will be in him they won't have to.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Free agent signings are collusion too.

There hasn't been a big name UFA signing with a different team in a long time. Therefore the Islanders and Leafs are guilty of collusion. Its common sense.

Mic drop.
Laughing so hard at the Mic drop comment haha. Seriously who thinks of their opinions that way.

Reactions: ljb4

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if he was signed for more than 1 more season then it could be a viable scenario. 4 more years of huberdeau at a good cap hit vs 1 yr of barrie, i doubt it happens. hoffman is more likely. although, we need defensive minded D.

ill do huberdeau for makar though :)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Agreed on what FLA should be looking for but this is simply going off of what's been rumored.

I would be shocked if the Avs were to move Tyson Barrie for a futures package. They'd be looking at moving him for an established, quality Top-6 forward not picks and prospects.

I wouldn't be shocked if a deal happened around Tippet but given what we know about Fla's current plans it simply makes less sense than Hubby.

Danvalanche

Feb 13, 2019
Do you agree that if Avalanche got your first for Barrie. This would be fine line tampering? They already have first overall and 10 and you would be giving them 9 overall for him as well. Other Owners and GMs would definitely have concerns about that. Collusion of helping the Avalanche one year rebuild through the draft.

I’m just saying and speculating.
Not really tampering. If the Avalanche want 3 1st rounders in the top 10 this year than they can. But to do that they have also gave up Duchene and possibly Barrie. It will be longer than a one year rebuild. The other teams don’t have to trade us their first round picks but they want top tier players so that’s usually part of the trade.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you agree that if Avalanche got your first for Barrie. This would be fine line tampering? They already have first overall and 10 and you would be giving them 9 overall for him as well. Other Owners and GMs would definitely have concerns about that. Collusion of helping the Avalanche one year rebuild through the draft.

I’m just saying and speculating.

WeepyChiefBagworm.webp

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It depends on availability. I wouldn't have thought the Panthers would want to move on from Huberdeau either but that is the current speculation.

No idea if Barrie wants to go to July 1st but if the rumored interest is true then that would probably mean that the Panthers aren't too worried about being able to sign him long-term. I don't really know if Barrie is adamant about making it to UFA...some guys just want to get paid their worth.

It's a bit ironic where both the Avs and Panthers franchises are currently at in this point in time. Both teams have a great deal of talent (and upcoming prospects) and I think both teams were expecting to be better than where they are currently in the standings. We seem to mirror one another in the sense that something probably needs to be changed up significantly to take the next step.

It's going to be a fun next 10-12 days.

I think the movement of Huberdeau is for a cheaper AAV top 4 RD. Barrie isn't that now (only saves 400k between Huberdeau's 5.9 and Barrie's 5.5 caphit) or going forward and one can assume Barrie will get a similar deal to Ekblad or higher. Feel we can chase a guy like Manson who's at $4.1 million or Pesce at $4million and provides exactly what we need. We have the cap space but just don't feel Barrie is the right guy for us.

Ya we've had similar ups and downs for sure. Think you won your division with Roy at the helm like we won a couple but both had playoff trouble. Been a slow build since the mid 90's-00's success. Feel we're both a year or two away from becoming contenders, I'm down for a rematch :naughty: in a couple years sans Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy etc.

Reactions: Bender

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think the movement of Huberdeau is for a cheaper AAV top 4 RD. Barrie isn't that now (only saves 400k between Huberdeau's 5.9 and Barrie's 5.5 caphit) or going forward and one can assume Barrie will get a similar deal to Ekblad or higher. Feel we can chase a guy like Manson who's at $4.1 million or Pesce at $4million and provides exactly what we need. We have the cap space but just don't feel Barrie is the right guy for us.

Ya we've had similar ups and downs for sure. Think you won your division with Roy at the helm like we won a couple but both had playoff trouble. Been a slow build since the mid 90's-00's success. Feel we're both a year or two away from becoming contenders, I'm down for a rematch :naughty: in a couple years sans Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy etc.

TBH there is no reason why the Avs wouldn't be able to retain 50% on a Barrie deal if it got it done. They could even take back a bad contract as well. Thats likely the advantage to this type of move it the cap it could clear.

I do agree with you that Pesce is a better fit, but overall Barrie is the better dman and Tallon is a tad nutty.

It'll be fun to watch what happens that's for sure.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
TBH there is no reason why the Avs wouldn't be able to retain 50% on a Barrie deal if it got it done. They could even take back a bad contract as well. Thats likely the advantage to this type of move it the cap it could clear.

I do agree with you that Pesce is a better fit, but overall Barrie is the better dman and Tallon is a tad nutty.

You move Hoffman + Pysyk/Reimer + 1st for top 4 RD before offering up Huberdeau.
Tallon is pretty nutty but the one thing he's actually legit, is with trades. It's the UFA/RFA signings I worry about with him. Gotta be careful handing out 8 year deals when we already have two of them on the back end.
I wouldn't hold your breath on a Huberdeau to COL deal though.

Should be a wild next 4 months.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

We can eat Reimers contract and have an outside shot of him actually being a goalie we can use.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You move Hoffman + Pysyk/Reimer + 1st for top 4 RD before offering up Huberdeau.
Tallon is pretty nutty but the one thing he's actually legit at is trades. It's the UFA/RFA signings I worry about with him. Gotta be careful handing out 8 year deals when we already have two 7 year deals on the back end.

Should be a wild next 4 months.

I think a 1st and Tippett/Deni would work as well as a basis but that doesn't help them clear any cap, its the opposite and I'm not sure thats so much better of an offer that the Avs would be inclined to take on any cap space.

Not that Fla themselves wont have any lack of offers for Hoffman(depending on how his bad press has aged) or Hubby.

Tallon is also pretty old school so I wonder how much stock he puts into Hubbys +/- when he's looking for a culture change.

What makes this fun is it seems like we agree on pretty much everything but Tallon has always been on to be a bit of a wild card.

Enjoyed the discussion.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Move along people, the Panthers aren’t making the playoffs and Tallon won’t do anything at the deadline to be a buyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad