Post-Game Talk: Panthers embarass McBackup, take 2 of 3 from Cup champs with a 6-4 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Is the whistle point for icing calls now officially the top of the circles, or was that just last night?
Frankie beat his man at least twice last night only for the play to be blown super early.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the officiating in the NHL has been pretty poor (even for this league) so far this season.

So inconsistent game to game. How are you supposed to make sense of it as a player?

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Making our chances count plus secondary scoring made the difference today. Team D looked alright against one of the best teams in the league, keeping them a lot to the outside - still too many times we lose coverage though, Bolts could not capitalize.

Could not be happier for our goal scorers, we will be trouble for everybody if we can keep spreading our scoring like that! Also our 4th line had some very good shifts. Really liked the performances of Luosto and Gudas

Only thing is that all is a bit misleading when considering the fact we played their backup. We won that battle pretty clearly, McElhinney did not have a good game whereas CD was decent

They won against our backup last time:naughty:

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Anyone else see this? According to Cooper, they beat themselves. :laugh:

“They didn’t do anything, really, to us,’’ Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said. “It was all self-inflicted. Like the first one, self-inflicted. The second one, self-inflicted. We had full control of the puck and we just hand it over to them. The third and fourth one, we turned it over at the blue line, self-inflicted. Terrible.’’

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014

“They didn’t do anything, really, to us,’’ Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said. “It was all self-inflicted. Like the first one, self-inflicted. The second one, self-inflicted. We had full control of the puck and we just hand it over to them. The third and fourth one, we turned it over at the blue line, self-inflicted. Terrible.’’

Haha poor loser.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't think this defense is as bad as you make it sound, Tampa also gave up a ton of chances tonight. The difference was that Dridger > Mcbackup.

And yes, Judge's numbers would go up if he played more but the sample size isn't small anymore, he's played about 1/3 of the games Bob has in a Panthers jersey (18 vs. 57) and their respective save% from those games are .934 and .898.

Did the math for fun and Judge would have to play 39 games at .881 save% to post same types of numbers as Bob. And I mean every single game for 39 games straight. To put it into perspective, he would roughly have to have a night like this, where he gives up four goals on 30 shots, for 39 games straight to have same save% as Bob. That's how bad he could play and still be 10x cheaper than Bob.

Bob is an awful, awful boat anchor for this team.

Judge is better than Bob. I've never debated that. But yes, this defense is that bad. We almost gave up three goals in like 2 minutes late in the 2nd period. You can't compare Tampa's firepower and experience to ours. They also weren't icing their full offensive lineup, and they had their backup in vs. our best goalie. If we want to get in regular track meets with Tampa, we' re gonna be sorry.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Sure, if he wants to say that, then have a short memory about it and do better.

Kind of like last night. Judge let a super soft second goal in last night. Wrister that went right in a hole in his left armpit. To his credit, he didn't let another soft one in. He moved on.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Judge is better than Bob. I've never debated that. But yes, this defense is that bad. We almost gave up three goals in like 2 minutes late in the 2nd period. You can't compare Tampa's firepower and experience to ours. They also weren't icing their full offensive lineup, and they had their backup in vs. our best goalie. If we want to get in regular track meets with Tampa, we' re gonna be sorry.

I'm not talking about their offense vs. ours. I was just saying their defense also gave up a ton of quality chances, too bad we don't have the firepower to finish more of them. Normally Vasi just hides their deficiencies on defense. We also scored three goals in four minutes on them.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

That's one way to look at it. Another is that they were forced to make errors because they were put under pressure. Fun game either way. The team seems to be working the way Q wants, with all four lines being a constant threat so the opponents don't get any easy shifts. Two goals each for the top three lines is a nice result against any team.

Nice to see Weegar have a really good game, but a bummer that Juulsen played himself onto the bench. I am not a fan of mixing up the defense pairings every other shift, and assume that was part of the reason why it got messy in the DZ at times.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Seemed that the first "goal" against looks like it never really went in. I just watched that goal many times over in slow-mo, still don't see the puck crossing the line. If you want to put blame on one player for that goal, take a hard look at Lammer. He spun around like a chicken with his head cut off a few times. He was somewhat in the right position, just never really did anything.
I still blame Yands. Off the icing face off, if he would have hit Con man clean the puck would be out. But I think he put it in his skates, puck stays in and they score shortly after. But it’s whatever now.

-ghoste

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Their coach is coaching, that’s all.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not talking about their offense vs. ours. I was just saying their defense also gave up a ton of quality chances, too bad we don't have the firepower to finish more of them. Normally Vasi just hides their deficiencies on defense. We also scored three goals in four minutes on them.

Yeah exactly, Tampa can get away with it, we can't. Plus they have a lot more experience in tight game situations. We have to play good defense. When we do, we are successful. But too often we don't, and it results in games like the 6-5 Nashville game, and the last 2 games against Tampa. They score on that pp late in the 2nd and they probably take the game.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I still blame Yands. Off the icing face off, if he would have hit Con man clean the puck would be out. But I think he put it in his skates, puck stays in and they score shortly after. But it’s whatever now.

-ghoste
Hmm interesting. I didn't watch the replay back that far enough, so I can't really comment. I could see how you could put blame on Juu. What is the need to have two defensemen below the goal line? That should never happen. Just a bad play by a lot of players overall I guess.

Reactions: Ghoste

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

Haha, aww.

I know that they just won the cup, but that's kind of a little sad.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Tell that guy to get some lips before he talks.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not counting yesterday's game, we're 23rd in 5-on-5 High danger scoring chances against with just 33 (NHL-leading are the Sens with 80); even better when you look at all scoring chances against. Now obviously this number is skewed for various reasons, but at the same time, we're tied with Carolina who also have 13 GP and is in the same division - you telling me Carolina also has terrible defence?
OTOH, we're 2nd in the league in "High danger scoring chances - % converted by team's opponents". 19% of high danger chances against us result in a goal, while for the first team (Calgary), it's just 4.1%. Just for comparison, last year we were 4th in High-danger scoring chances against and 19th in "High danger scoring chances - % converted by team's opponents".

Our Defence heat map this year is a thing of beauty. In the admittedly limited amount of games, in our division, only Dallas has played better 5-on-5 defence so far (our offence is 3rd best, behind Carolina and Tampa).
FLA

Last year, team defence was legitimely a huge part of the problem. This year it's been solid.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Those two points were huge. There's no doubt about that. We still have a long way to go as far as level of play, but in the meantime it's good to be in a good position in the standings.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Not counting yesterday's game, we're 23rd in 5-on-5 High danger scoring chances against with just 33 (NHL-leading are the Sens with 80); even better when you look at all scoring chances against. Now obviously this number is skewed for various reasons, but at the same time, we're tied with Carolina who also have 13 GP and is in the same division - you telling me Carolina also has terrible defence?
OTOH, we're 2nd in the league in "High danger scoring chances - % converted by team's opponents". 19% of high danger chances against us result in a goal, while for the first team (Calgary), it's just 4.1%. Just for comparison, last year we were 4th in High-danger scoring chances against and 19th in "High danger scoring chances - % converted by team's opponents".

Our Defence heat map this year is a thing of beauty. In the admittedly limited amount of games, in our division, only Dallas has played better 5-on-5 defence so far (our offence is 3rd best, behind Carolina and Tampa).
FLA

Last year, team defence was legitimely a huge part of the problem. This year it's been solid.
Some very interesting stats. So the HDCA we give up are higher danger. Do all goals count as HDCA, or are there stats for goals from non-HDCA?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

FLA

The team defense has been a lot better, yes. They can go through stretches in a game where they play really well defensively, but they still have to learn how to be consistent and bring that structure for 60 minutes. Did Tampa not almost score 3 goals in 2 minutes against us last night? Did we not almost totally collapse late in the 2nd and throw away a 5-2 lead? That's not good defense. They are still learning how to be a good defensive team and I acknowledge that. Much improved from last season. Still a problem though.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

-ghoste
I just thought of this:

If Cookie was healthy and playing, Lammer wouldn't have been caught out of position, because he might not have been playing. Possibly we wouldn't even be talking about a goal.

Another example of how valuable Cookie is to this team.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The team defense has been a lot better, yes. They can go through stretches in a game where they play really well defensively, but they still have to learn how to be consistent and bring that structure for 60 minutes. Did Tampa not almost score 3 goals in 2 minutes against us last night? Did we not almost totally collapse late in the 2nd and throw away a 5-2 lead? That's not good defense. They are still learning how to be a good defensive team and I acknowledge that. Much improved from last season. Still a problem though.

It's called the NHL and happens to every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad