Post-Game Talk: Panthers embarass McBackup, take 2 of 3 from Cup champs with a 6-4 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ya, him and Gudas have brought a vibe to forward and defense respectively.
Pumped to see Tippett get progressively better as well, Frank is catching fire like he does a couple times a year.

For sure, if we didn't have expansion draft, I'd hope Zito would try and get Ekholm from NSH, we have built a mini-Swedish army now.
Wennberg, Stralman and Horny.

He'll have to pluck some steady top 4 D from another team either this offseason or in 2022. I think moving out Yandle has a lot to do with that too imo.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He'll have to pluck some steady top 4 D from another team either this offseason or in 2022. I think moving out Yandle has a lot to do with that too imo.

Ya, a little frustrating knowing we can't add a lot this year with expansion draft lurking.
2 years left in off-season, may need to retain on Yands but he needs to waive in first place, it's got to be hard to leave if we start to win but he just isn't useful 90% of the game .

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ya, a little frustrating knowing we can't add a lot this year with expansion draft lurking.
2 years left in off-season, may need to retain on Yands but he needs to waive in first place, it's got to be hard to leave if we start to win but he just isn't useful 90% of the game .
As I said in the other thread his biggest issue is another Tallon NMC.

Why is that a theme?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

It's gonna be a delicate dance to keep threatening him with ending his streak. He'll probably waive if that's the case.

Reactions: Cold Cat

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Usually don’t like complaining after a win, but need to be realistic here...we capitalized on our chances against a pretty poor goaltender (tonight anyway). We played decent overall, but definitely fortunate to get a regulation win, but obviously take it and move on.

Yandle was terrible. Slow, weak, dumb penalties and decisions with the puck and horrid defensively. Juulsen didn’t play great either. Will be nice to get Forsling back soon and Nutivaara needs to play.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Not gonna lie, I feel optimistic. It's definitely a new feeling .
I still cannot fully embrace the optimism until we win one playoff series for the first time since 1996. I am severely demoralized by this organization. My other fear is we usually over perform our first year w a new GM. Will we regress from here until our next rebuild? I've seen too many patterns of failure over the years...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Q loooves Wennberg defence. Also Yandlol.
wen.jpg

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I still cannot fully embrace the optimism until we win one playoff series for the first time since 1996. I am severely demoralized by this organization. My other fear is we usually over perform our first year w a new GM. Will we regress from here until our next rebuild? I've seen too many patterns of failure over the years...

I understand why you’d say this, but I do think Bill Zito is instilling a winning philosophy here and the organization may actually turn a corner. The signs are there. We have a good core in its prime and seemingly competent management (for once) surrounding them.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Q has nothing to do with it, this team is just braindead defensively, and they are sinking both goalies. The more Judge plays, the more games he's gonna be exposed to like this. And his numbers will go up as well.

I don't think this defense is as bad as you make it sound, Tampa also gave up a ton of chances tonight. The difference was that Dridger > Mcbackup.

And yes, Judge's numbers would go up if he played more but the sample size isn't small anymore, he's played about 1/3 of the games Bob has in a Panthers jersey (18 vs. 57) and their respective save% from those games are .934 and .898.

Did the math for fun and Judge would have to play 39 games at .881 save% to post same types of numbers as Bob. And I mean every single game for 39 games straight. To put it into perspective, he would roughly have to have a night like this, where he gives up four goals on 30 shots, for 39 games straight to have same save% as Bob. That's how bad he could play and still be 10x cheaper than Bob.

Bob is an awful, awful boat anchor for this team.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Well obviously Tippett and Duclair (and Stralman) would get their first goals of the season against such an easy opponent as Tampa... :sarcasm: :D

Really proud of all these guys.

So - we legit good? :)

Reactions: I am not exposed

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Huge win! Can’t believe we pulled off two regulation wins and picking up 4 of 6 points! I was expecting at least 2pt, very happy with 3pt and ecstatic with anything more. And I am.

considering the first goal against wasn’t even a goal, driedger really gave up 3 in actuality. I know the stat sheet will say otherwise but we all know that wasn’t a goal. Of the 3 he did legitimately let in, the first one was awful, the second was a beauty of a backhander by maroon, and the third was 50/50. Made big saves. At worst he was average against the defending champs with stamkos back. I’ll take that any day especially over bob. Good to see him continuing his good play (or at least not having a bad game. His numbers obviously reflect that).

and awesome to finally have Duclair AND Tippett both scoring. Duclair was so close on the first attempt, glad he got the other. Hopefully this opens the flood gates a little with both of them.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Making our chances count plus secondary scoring made the difference today. Team D looked alright against one of the best teams in the league, keeping them a lot to the outside - still too many times we lose coverage though, Bolts could not capitalize.

Could not be happier for our goal scorers, we will be trouble for everybody if we can keep spreading our scoring like that! Also our 4th line had some very good shifts. Really liked the performances of Luosto and Gudas

Only thing is that all is a bit misleading when considering the fact we played their backup. We won that battle pretty clearly, McElhinney did not have a good game whereas CD was decent

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Interesting stat. Ekblad has hit the post 3 times this season

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I don't think this defense is as bad as you make it sound, Tampa also gave up a ton of chances tonight. The difference was that Dridger > Mcbackup.

And yes, Judge's numbers would go up if he played more but the sample size isn't small anymore, he's played about 1/3 of the games Bob has in a Panthers jersey (18 vs. 57) and their respective save% from those games are .934 and .898.

Did the math for fun and Judge would have to play 39 games at .881 save% to post same types of numbers as Bob. And I mean every single game for 39 games straight. To put it into perspective, he would roughly have to have a night like this, where he gives up four goals on 30 shots, for 39 games straight to have same save% as Bob. That's how bad he could play and still be 10x cheaper than Bob.

Bob is an awful, awful boat anchor for this team.

I see that you put the bottle down for all of that math. It's a step in the right direction.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Seemed that the first "goal" against looks like it never really went in. I just watched that goal many times over in slow-mo, still don't see the puck crossing the line. If you want to put blame on one player for that goal, take a hard look at Lammer. He spun around like a chicken with his head cut off a few times. He was somewhat in the right position, just never really did anything.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Only thing is that all is a bit misleading when considering the fact we played their backup. We won that battle pretty clearly, McElhinney did not have a good game whereas CD was decent

For me it doesn't matter. Every point counts. So the only important thing is to win as many games as possible. I think that Columbus, Nashville and Detroit are already out. Chicago has been a surprise in my opinion and Dallas will improve. Carolina and Tampa are much stronger in goal scoring than we are. So they will end up being the two top teams of the division but Florida will fight for the 3rd spot. We need to beat either Chicago or Dallas in points to reach playoffs. It was a huge accomplishment to beat Tampa twice. I think that it gave the guys a lot of self confidence for the Carolina game.

Reactions: austropanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->