GDT: Panthers @ Avs | March 3rd 7 PM MST | Daily Press Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would agree with that, he is a bit of a different cat.

From what I understand goalies usually don't talk the day they start but I don't know HOW unusual it is, if Picks is literally the only one or not.

I think that's Plagens in the video with Picks. That's kinda cool, he was the Monsters pxp guy and works for the Panthers now, bet he's going to talk to picks next.

Well, he is a goalie. :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Gelinas out with back injury tonight, injured it in Minnesota (could be explanation for him not playing much in 3rd).

Bodnarchuk in *gulp*

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But if goalies are different and hes different for a goalie does that make him normal? :naughty:

I think that means he's not allowed outside of the arena without his straightjacket on.

Gelinas out with back injury tonight, injured it in Minnesota (could be explanation for him not playing much in 3rd).

Bodnarchuk in *gulp*

:laugh: NewBalls WILL. NOT. BE. STOPPED.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would agree with that, he is a bit of a different cat.

From what I understand goalies usually don't talk the day they start but I don't know HOW unusual it is, if Picks is literally the only one or not.

I doubt he's the only one ever, but I think McNabbs original comments about him being very calm mentally started with something like this where he talked to media at a time where he normally wouldn't. Then he went on to extrapolate how focused, easy going, and calm he always seems to be.

My point was that it's a positive factor for me in looking at his potential as a long term pro at the NHL level. Roy talks a lot about how a lot of a goalie's game is in his own head. If hes good at not allowing himself to have a lot of emotional swings, it speaks to him possibly being able to be a bit more consistent on the ice over his career I think.

Just trying to highlight something that works in his favor for his future in the NHL, at least something that may not have really been noticed yet or talked about much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I doubt he's the only one ever, but I think McNabbs original comments about him being very calm mentally started with something like this where he talked to media at a time where he normally wouldn't. Then he went on to extrapolate how focused, easy going, and calm he always seems to be.

My point was that it's a positive factor for me in looking at his potential as a long term pro at the NHL level. Roy talks a lot about how a lot of a goalie's game is in his own head. If hes good at not allowing himself to have a lot of emotional swings, it speaks to him possibly being able to be a bit more consistent on the ice over his career I think.

Just trying to highlight something that works in his favor for his future in the NHL, at least something that may not have really been noticed yet or talked about much.

Yeah I think it's a good point, I do think he's very mentally strong. And part of it might be his easy going nature.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Picks' mindset and mental-toughness has been talked about since he was seeing 50 shots a night in Seattle. It was his best trait as a prospect, and it's the biggest reason he's having so much success. Kid's just a battler.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Need these 2 points. We've lost back to back games in regulation after being tied or having the lead in the 3rd period.

If we miss playoffs, those lost points will be the reason why. We're probably the worst team in the league when it comes to blown 3rd period leads/failing to get a point after being tied in the 3rd. We've done it so many times this year, could easily be an extra 5-6 points at least if we had just gotten to OT in those games.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The question is, does Bodychuck play with Barrie now?

You know, since Barrie was demoted and Holden took his spot with Bigras as his partner. :sarcasm:

Need these 2 points. We've lost back to back games in regulation after being tied or having the lead in the 3rd period.

If we miss playoffs, those lost points will be the reason why. We're probably the worst team in the league when it comes to blown 3rd period leads/failing to get a point after being tied in the 3rd. We've done it so many times this year, could easily be an extra 5-6 points at least if we had just gotten to OT in those games.

I just can't resist here... :D

Goalies are a huge part of holding down leads as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Touche. Pickard seems like such a great guy. Looks like he has one of the most fun personalities on the team for sure.

He's adorable. But he'll never be an elite goalie. An Osgood or Crawford like career is more what we should expect as Picks' upside.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

You know, since Barrie was demoted and Holden took his spot with Bigras as his partner. :sarcasm:

:laugh: You dont have to tell me twice about that.

I'm probably one of the most vocal against Varlamov right now. But I really think we need to be going with the lineup that best gives us a chance to win every night right now, and Pickard lately has simply been a better goalie then Varlamov.

I think it should be Picks crease from here on out until either he falters or Varly steps back in and takes it back from Picks.

Unfortunately, that would also mean that Rantanen should be in the NHL right now as well, but Roy doesn't see it that way. Oh well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Picks' mindset and mental-toughness has been talked about since he was seeing 50 shots a night in Seattle. It was his best trait as a prospect, and it's the biggest reason he's having so much success. Kid's just a battler.

There should be some fun gifs of Pickard if he really gets going. He has some hilarious celebration gifs from those days in Seattle that are floating around.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I want to thank UncleRisto for the assistance on the GDT as well.

Also, much like last time. If anybody has a specific topic / theme you'd like me to try and incorporate into a future GDT send me a PM. I have a couple left still and can see if I can make it work.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
:laugh: You dont have to tell me twice about that.

I'm probably one of the most vocal against Varlamov right now. But I really think we need to be going with the lineup that best gives us a chance to win every night right now, and Pickard lately has simply been a better goalie then Varlamov.

I think it should be Picks crease from here on out until either he falters or Varly steps back in and takes it back from Picks.

Unfortunately, that would also mean that Rantanen should be in the NHL right now as well, but Roy doesn't see it that way. Oh well.

Meh, I think it should be Picks until Roy can get Varly into a few games against easier competition to build his confidence back up. Varly has to do his part, but Roy should also be working hard to right the ship back to having Varly at the helm.

I don't want this pushing into next year unless it's one of those where they are both playing so well.

One for Varly and Pickards overall value, and two because Varly is one of my favorite players ever.

When I questioned him going into the Minny game, it was not because I have something against him. I sure as hell don't want Pickard taking his job long term.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's adorable. But he'll never be an elite goalie. An Osgood or Crawford like career is more what we should expect as Picks' upside.

Crawford is getting pretty damn close to Elite territory.

Whether its because of the team he plays in front of or not(I dont think it is), the guy has a career sv% of .920 now, and the last two years he's Top 5 in the league for overall sv% at a .926.

I think when it comes to goalies its so hard to figure out who's actually elite and who's not, because from year to year they can all change so much as far as how they play, even though its such a small difference. A goalie can drop by .003 in sv% between years and can drop from Top 10 in sv% to like 15th. IMO theres really only about 3 maybe 4 goalies in the league who play at an elite level every year. Price, Lundqvist, Schneider, and maybe Holtby.

After that, you've got Rask, Rinne, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Varlamov, Quick, etc. that on a year to year basis can be anywhere from Top 5, to middle of the pack level.

I think Picks can easily be a part of that group. I think he can be as good or better then Varly. But I dunno if he'll ever have a peak season like Varly did with us 2 years ago.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I want to thank UncleRisto for the assistance on the GDT as well.

Also, much like last time. If anybody has a specific topic / theme you'd like me to try and incorporate into a future GDT send me a PM. I have a couple left still and can see if I can make it work.

the-it-crowd-o.gif

My suggestion. IT Crowd 4 lyfe!!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Oh yeah that was supposed to be new. Call me crazy but I was actually looking forward to seeing something different with the D pairings.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh yeah. Call me crazy but I was actually looking forward to seeing something different with the D pairings.

Yeah me too, but it does not require Gelinas for me to get what I want to see.

It just requires Bigras to drug Roy, and to write himself in next to EJ, and move FB down with Barrie. Totally a possibility IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad