GDT: Panthers @ Avs | March 3rd 7 PM MST | Daily Press Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Something I feel like people forget with Pickard, he's a former 2nd round pick. Its not like he's just surprised us out of nowhere with his play. He was very good in Juniors with a terrible Thunderbirds team in front of him. He put up solid #s in the AHL also with some pretty poor defenses in the AHL also.

The kid was drafted with the potential and hope of being a good #1 Goalie by the Avs back in 2010. He's proved at every level so far that he can be that type of player. He's definitely capable of being a top goalie in the league for us.

Still some kinks in his game, but we've got time to work on it with him. We've been patient with him so far and its worked well. The more he plays right now with the way he's playing the better it is for his development.

Probably the best goalie out of that 2010 draft. Definitely between him and Marzek at this point.

I love Picks but I'd easily give that to Mrazek. Mraz has the abilities to be an All-Star for years.

But I agree completely. Pickard is 23 years old. Goalies take time to develop. I think he has Elite Starter written all over him. He just needs a couple years.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Something I feel like people forget with Pickard, he's a former 2nd round pick. Its not like he's just surprised us out of nowhere with his play. He was very good in Juniors with a terrible Thunderbirds team in front of him. He put up solid #s in the AHL also with some pretty poor defenses in the AHL also.

The kid was drafted with the potential and hope of being a good #1 Goalie by the Avs back in 2010. He's proved at every level so far that he can be that type of player. He's definitely capable of being a top goalie in the league for us.

Still some kinks in his game, but we've got time to work on it with him. We've been patient with him so far and its worked well. The more he plays right now with the way he's playing the better it is for his development.

Probably the best goalie out of that 2010 draft. Definitely between him and Marzek at this point.

Not to pick on Pickard but Mrazek is a far better goalie than him at this time. Guy's an absolute stud. Got Detroit to game 7 against Tampa last year and is going to get them in the playoffs this year.

Nonetheless, Pickard is great. I say ride him out until he struggles. Then get our boy back in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wait why are people hating on Pickard? The hell is wrong with this place lately?

You can't hate on Pickard, but it's difficult to see people turn on Varly so easily. Pickard played well, but let's not act like Pickard has done anything for this franchise like Varly has.

To not want Varly back in net is short sighted IMO.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Pickard has always had potential, but he also had his up and downs. Aittokaillo surpassed him in many people's eyes for a year or two in the depth chart. I think that's more a testament to how hard it is to judge a goalie when they're developing though.

As for the Picks/Varly starting controversy, we should roll Picks until he falters. I love Varly, but he hasn't been the goalie we need him to be, and we can't afford to give him a chance to bounce back when every point matters. Going into next season there's no question he's the undisputed #1, but Picks deserves to start Saturday.

You can't hate on Pickard, but it's difficult to see people turn on Varly so easily. Pickard played well, but let's not act like Pickard has done anything for this franchise like Varly has.

Nobodys turning on Varly. The Hawks started Darling in the playoffs for what was it, 2-4 games over Crawford? They never turned on Crawford, he just wasn't finding his groove and they needed wins. Darling had the hot hand, so they started him. When the next series came about, Crawford was back in net.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009

Very much this. No hate involved.

Varlamov can get us into the playoffs single handedly. Can he back to that form? Absolutely, just needs to get his mojo back. Give Picks Nashville and Varlamov Arizona and let the good times roll.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
At the end of the day having a situation where you can debate between these two for who should get the start is more of a good problem to have than a bad problem to have.

The only way I see it being troublesome is if we enter the playoffs with an uncertain situation, but in a fight to make the playoffs, having two good goalies competing and pushing each other for starts is good for the business of winning games, and I'll take that.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Beating them in regulation would be absolutely massive. Pulling 3 points back against them in the two games after that fiasco against the Wild would be exactly the kind of statement this team needs.

Problem is, the Avs aren't a team that makes "statements". In reality, they nearly always have to rely on phenomenal goaltending saving their bacon as they hang on by their fingernails to eek out wins. Hey, I'd love to see the Avs lay a beatdown on somebody (especially the Wild), but they just don't seem to have the swagger in them to do it. Why? Coz the turtle/timidity instinct in them is too strong to allow them to really blitzkrieg an opponent.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Soderberg was completely invisible tonight, and has been for a while. They really need more from him offensively.

He needs some puck support from his wingers. Ever since Landy was taken off his line he's struggled. I liked Comeau a lot the first half of the year but he needs to wake the hell up. He's been a turnover machine ever since his wife gave birth. It was really fairly night and day before and after IMO, almost like he gets no sleep at night or something. Makes some really head scratching plays with and for the puck. It's not really acceptable for a vet like him at such a crucial point of the season.

Liked Matthias his first couple games but wanted to see more out of him tonight. Too passive, he needs to be assertive on the forecheck every shift, using his speed and reach to hound puck carriers.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Varly is clearly not mentally on his game. Ever since the court stuff he has looked weak in net and his compete level is just not where it has been most of his time in Denver.

Could be it is injury related...but it just looks like it is in his head. The goals he gave up in the outdoor game and in the Minny game were just not the normal type of goals Varly gives up. Granted, some were a bit fluky and he was left out to dry at times....but he is better than that.

So, given the Avs are in the middle of a playoff race in which management bet a small risk on at the trade deadline, Pickard should continue to start until he shows he cannot do the job. For the record, Varly is the guy I want starting and he deserves it.....but the fact of the matter is until he gets his head on properly again, or I guess heals if he is injured, it is best for the Avs if he is on the bench.

I have no doubt he will recover from it....so even if Pickard has a solid stretch run into the playoffs, I am totally OK with the Avs exploring trading Picks over the summer -- just purely based on a solid season/playoff run driving his value through the roof...but in the now Pickard needs to start. (For the record, you only trade Pickard if someone is willing to vastly overpay in the summer, better to hold onto him of course if the deal is not perfect)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Grigorenko - Soda - Duchene
Landeskog - MacK - Boedker
Matthias - Rantanen - Iginla
McCleod - Mitchell - Comeau
( Skille )

please Patrick. please...

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Problem is, the Avs aren't a team that makes "statements". In reality, they nearly always have to rely on phenomenal goaltending saving their bacon as they hang on by their fingernails to eek out wins. Hey, I'd love to see the Avs lay a beatdown on somebody (especially the Wild), but they just don't seem to have the swagger in them to do it. Why? Coz the turtle/timidity instinct in them is too strong to allow them to really blitzkrieg an opponent.

I wonder if that mentality is coaching, or if it is just so beaten into the young guys by bad experiences that they can't mentally break it.

Is Roy's 1 goal lead defense just to completely shell up and no longer push the play? If so he needs to fix that. The team is built to push the pace....so completely flipping and playing against that in the 3rd if they have lead is just stupid.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
( Skille )

Skille is the last player on that 4th line that I want to see scratched to be honest. Starting Rantanen at center in the NHL while he's a winger seems like a weird idea even if he has played center a little bit in the AHL and in other leagues.

But yeah, we need to call him up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
( Skille )

Keep Dutchy at centre and Rantanen on the wing. Can't have him stepping into the playoff push as a rookie playing centre on the 3rd line. Ease him in on the wing

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
( Skille )

Rants - Dutchy - Boeds
Landy - Mack - Grigs
Matthais - Soda - Iggy
McC - Mitch - Comeau

:nod:

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
Got to stick with the hot goalie. Stick with Pickard as long as he's hot. I like Varly but he hasn't played well lately and it is all about the team right now and making the playoffs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Rants - Dutchy - Boeds
Landy - Mack - Grigs
Matthais - Soda - Iggy
McC - Mitch - Comeau

:nod:

Swap Boeds and Greg. But otherwise I agree.

Cant break up the Mack/Landy/Boedker line with the way they've played the first 2 games together.

I think Rantanen and Greg would play so damn well together. Greg thinks the game at an amazingly high level and I think he and Rantanen would play off one another very well. I want to see them together here next season if Rants doesn't come up this year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Most posters were positive about the two first periods, when they played well. Some were negative about the third period, when they played poorly and nearly gave the game away. I don't think it's unreasonable or unfair.

It's pretty fair in my book, this team doesn't know how to play with the lead.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
One thing I need to whine about is how Roy is managing the bench.

Our top 3 forwards in terms of ice time this game were Mack Landy and Comeau and they were way, waaaaay ahead of the rest of the pack. Honestly I just don't see it in Comeau. Yeah probably the passes aren't the best but it seems like everytime he touches the puck on the pp he loses it. Solid bottom 6 but absolutely should not be on the power play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad