Post-Game Talk: Panthers at Rangers

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Please hockey gods here my Novena fire Torts and play as many kids as you have and sell off buy out all the UFA Re tread hacks . Please let this season end and get us a first round pick back . Please fore torts hire Scott Gordon and play a versatile adaptive game with a good PP .
Please HOCKEY God fire Torts and put him at the bus stop with Sean Avery and see how he fares

I'm going to read this tonight at my bed side before falling asleep.

*Bob Richards*

Completely? No. I disagree with that.

It seems like people opt to blame the coach instead of the players because they feel some emotional connection to the players, the guys who wear the jersey and score the goals and win the games when they're playing well.

From what I'm seeing, it is not simply a coaching problem. There is a huge coaching problem, yes, and I agree with you that the strategy needs to be adjusted to a new lineup. However, I'm sick of seeing all the players get free passes because people prefer to deuce all over Torts instead of them. They are absolutely at fault to a degree. I don't care if the coach is a bushel of apples, this team should be able to score more than 1 goal against the worst team in the league. A superstar first line? Maybe if you walked through a time machine and came out last year. Richards has been an awful, awful deadweight on this team so far. Gaborik was pretty terrible the past few weeks, but he at least showed some of the speed and shooting that he's well known for last night. The bottom 6 hasn't done a damn thing in a long time, and that's not because of the coach. They're grinding players, they should be able to do something with that style.

Lastly, part of this disaster is on Slats. He completely undervalued guys like Prust, Fedotenko and Mitchell. They weren't great players but they played Torts' style well and it wouldn't have broken the bank to keep them. If he was goign to bit the bullet and trade AA and Dubi for Nash, he should have kept the bottom 6 guys from last year in an attempt to at least have some roster continuity.

Long story short, Torts is a problem, maybe even a huge problem, but he's not the entire problem by a long shot. Players deserve their amount of blame in all of this, as do the guys upstairs making the roster moves.

A very good and well written post. This whole "Torts the Clown" hive mind is a bit ridiculous. Yes, he is one stubborn bum when it comes to adaptation but we are icing some serious under performers on a nightly basis.

It just feels wrong. The whole team, including the coaching staff just doesn't feel like it has the same camaraderie they had the previous two seasons. We've watched last years team go into games with the mentality that they'd shed blood for each other and it was outstanding. They were a TEAM. Whatever we are watching play now is more or less a collection of new faces who know each other about as well as they know Torts' system.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A very good and well written post. This whole "Torts the Clown" hive mind is a bit ridiculous. Yes, he is one stubborn bum when it comes to adaptation but we are icing some serious under performers on a nightly basis.

It just feels wrong. The whole team, including the coaching staff just doesn't feel like it has the same camaraderie they had the previous two seasons. We've watched last years team go into games with the mentality that they'd shed blood for each other and it was outstanding. They were a TEAM. Whatever we are watching play now is more or less a collection of new faces who know each other about as well as they know Torts' system.

Totally agree with the second paragraph. Honestly, though I'll admit I don't know much about the locker-room dynamics, I think Richards is a big part of the problem as far as team mentality goes. I think it was Gross who wrote an article a few weeks ago about how Callahan, Girardi and Richards were the "big voices" in the room. And of course, Richards got the A before he stepped on the ice. Bottom line, he's a big voice and he's a guy that's supposed to be a leader. He's definitely not leading on the ice, and he doesn't look like he has a healthy attitude off the ice at all. One of the announcers a few weeks back was talking about how Richards was asking him for advice on how to get out of a slump. Last night he was mumbling about being "lost" and "confused" - he just doesn't sound like he has the right attitude to be a leader this year. Also, this is speculation, but he doesn't look like he prepared for the season very well. Slumping because of bad luck or whatever is one thing, playing poorly because of lack of preparation is another thing entirely, and, again, that's not what you expect from a guy who is supposed to be a leader.

Having so many new faces doesn't help either. I really, really wish Slats held on to the bottom 6 guys from last year. Instead of welcoming Nash into the fold as a team, he made it so that a core group of guys from last year were welcoming a group almost as big as their own to the team. As a result, the team mentality was lost. Losing 2 players shouldn't be a huge problem, but I don't know why you'd willingly dump so many others in addition.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR and FLA have been told by NHL there will be no supplementary discipline for Rick Nash's hit on Tomas Kopecky.”

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

But that's the problem. i don't buy into chemistry being the reason we're not as good as we were last year because Boyle, Prust, and Johnny Malkin were just as useless on the ice for most of the year as our current bottom six has been. (when it comes to scoring goals, at least- both bottom sixes are alright at everything else a bottom six should do.)

I'll point to the last month of last season and the playoffs. We were a .500 team because Hank left god mode and the defense stopped playing as well as they were for the first 3/4 of the season. We're seeing that defense this year- even though individually guys like MDZ and Staal have been good, and McD before his recent slump is obviously great as well, and it's showing. We're not nearly as good defensively as we were last year. The second goal on Hank yesterday doesn't happen last year.

You know how I feel about the stupid memes prevalent all the time, with TAWTS DA CLOWN and DEL ZASTAH and garbage like that, but we need to contend. Hank is getting older, Nash and Cally are getting older, sadly Gabby probably won't be resigned and Richards suddenly blows. We need to try and salvage this team as a "contender" and so far Torts hasn't shown that he's the guy up to the task.

I think Torts is a good coach and all the idiots who spew their garbage memes were waiting to do it last year, too, but couldn't because we were winning. But we have to contend, and we're not. And if we try to revamp the entire roster we'll run out of time.

*Bob Richards*

But that's the problem. i don't buy into chemistry being the reason we're not as good as we were last year because Boyle, Prust, and Johnny Malkin were just as useless on the ice for most of the year as our current bottom six has been. (when it comes to scoring goals, at least- both bottom sixes are alright at everything else a bottom six should do.)

I'll point to the last month of last season and the playoffs. We were a .500 team because Hank left god mode and the defense stopped playing as well as they were for the first 3/4 of the season. We're seeing that defense this year- even though individually guys like MDZ and Staal have been good, and McD before his recent slump is obviously great as well, and it's showing. We're not nearly as good defensively as we were last year. The second goal on Hank yesterday doesn't happen last year.

You know how I feel about the stupid memes prevalent all the time, with TAWTS DA CLOWN and DEL ZASTAH and garbage like that, but we need to contend. Hank is getting older, Nash and Cally are getting older, sadly Gabby probably won't be resigned and Richards suddenly blows. We need to try and salvage this team as a "contender" and so far Torts hasn't shown that he's the guy up to the task.

I think Torts is a good coach and all the idiots who spew their garbage memes were waiting to do it last year, too, but couldn't because we were winning. But we have to contend, and we're not. And if we try to revamp the entire roster we'll run out of time.

Chemistry is but one of many reasons why we suck this year. I don't believe its the number one reason, I just posted about it because as a fan, it makes a bit harder to connect unlike last year.

Personally, if Gabby and Richards just you know.....played, things would be about a billion times better.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
somethings

gotta give. if torts wants to continue this style of hockey, get someone in here that can gets shots thru from the point or have the number one power play in the league. that is the only way to justify the garbage dump and chase hockey ive seen. they out chanced to panthers 2 to one yet i only recall seeing 2 or 3 real dangerous sequences where a goal could have been scored, the rest were shots into maarkstroms glove and chest protector. Disgusting

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Chemistry is but one of many reasons why we suck this year. I don't believe its the number one reason, I just posted about it because as a fan, it makes a bit harder to connect unlike last year.

Personally, if Gabby and Richards just you know.....played, things would be about a billion times better.

Yeah. Richards suddenly not being any good is the biggest issue with the team. Once again, as has been the Rangers MO, we don't have a number one center. At least right now- who know's if he'll turn it back on in the playoffs (if we make the POs?), but the clock is ticking.

But if Richie doesn't turn it on somehow, and we buy him out...we're suddenly not contenders. What options are there to be #1C? Stepan is proving to be a great 2C, but he'd be a Weiss-esque #1c.

*Bob Richards*

I still want to believe in Richards so badly. The man was a beast in the 2nd half last year and practically won the Caps series on his own.

Really hoping that its just some super weird Adam Dunn-esque down season. :laugh:

Dorado*

When we were winning last year I called it smoke and mirrors and good goaltending mostly and some timely breaks . I chastised his concept from jump street when he vilified a team and fan favorite in Sean Avery . I criticized his decisions in regard to playing time , lines and the A to BR from day one . No hive mind here never been a fan and routinely watch him be out coached by the rest of the league .

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I still want to believe in Richards so badly. The man was a beast in the 2nd half last year and practically won the Caps series on his own.

Really hoping that its just some super weird Adam Dunn-esque down season. :laugh:

Same. I'm not ready to turn on the guy yet but he's been awful SO FAR. And he wasn't that bad in the first 10-15 games of the season, when everybody thought it was funny to dump on him. He's somehow gotten WORSE (besides a few games of promising play) as the season's gone on. I'm just hoping he pulls a Jeff Carter and goes from garbage to being an important part of a SC winning team.

Dorado*

Jeff Carter was garbage because he signed a home town discount contract for basically rest of his career pre UFA then was traded less than 6 months later ( or whenever it was ) to Col . He owned a home , signed a long term deal and was thrown out like trash and sent to basically hockey Siberia from a team that was a game away from the cup with an AHL quality goalie to one of worst franchise in the league .
Richards held his old team up with his NTC left them without any compensation came here and is second highest player in the game and flat out stinks . He was MEDIOCRE most of last season and found his game in time for the playoffs and has been for awful all year here . Totally two different scenarios . Carter is now happy , productive and one of the leading goal scorers in the league . Richards looks like Ken Hodge only slower

Dorado*

And for all you young pup know it slow Ken Hodge was Espos buddy who we gave up Rick Middleton for to keep Fat Phil happy . Middleton went on to score over 1000 pts and was a perennial 40 goal scorer

Dorado*

Not ready to give up on Richards. He at least knows and seems to make attempts

I'm glad for a 7.5 m cap hit and 12 million he's " MAKING ATTEMPTS " attempts at what single handedly killing the NYR's by
CAP HIT
HIS PLAY
THE COACH PANDERING TO HIM " GET RICHIE GOING " .
Tell you what ill take Guy Boucher and Tampa can have Torts , and Richards back

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm glad for a 7.5 m cap hit and 12 million he's " MAKING ATTEMPTS " attempts at what single handedly killing the NYR's by
CAP HIT
HIS PLAY
THE COACH PANDERING TO HIM " GET RICHIE GOING " .
Tell you what ill take Guy Boucher and Tampa can have Torts , and Richards back
What I'm saying is that he at least knows that if he doesn't get it together his time here is short. Don't spew nonsense.

Dorado*

At this point Wade Richards doesn't appear to give a crap if he " gets it together " . His play and energy level certainly doesn't say so .

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Most troubled by what appears to be a lack of leadership. Your captain needs to set an example and lead the way. Although Callahan has been playing at his usual pace, And giving 125% as always, very few, if any, players seem to be following his lead. If torts has indeed lost this team, then so has Callahan.

If I were him, I would call this team out publicly. Challenge everyone to earn their contracts, play with heart, and play for each other.See who steps up an who doesnt. And then make your changes as necessary.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Our identity was compromised because we lost Anisimov, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Prust, and Mitchell. All of which were a "Torts kind of guy."

Anyone who thinks we are better after the Nash trade is delusional. We lost players who bought into Torts system. I'll say it again, if the intent was to trade for Nash and lose all of the depth players to handle his ridiculous contract WITHOUT changing the teams system, it was a horrible trade. I understand that Prust went his own way, and I respect that, but we still lost 4 players who all bought into Tortorella's blue collar style of hockey. That's 1/3rd of your forward core.

The team, with all of those losses, doesn't have the personnel for the same system. Again, if Tortorella had no intention in adapting a new system for the new personnel and Rick Nash, it was only a trade that would set us back (and that's on the coach).

And Nash has been good, but not nearly good enough to make up for all of the lost players and chemistry. He's got 10 goals and 25 points, it's not exactly earth shattering. He's been dominant in stretches and a ghost in other stretches (the last five or six games he's looked frustrated and out of place). Anisimov has 6 goals, Mitchell has 9 goals, Prust has 4 goals, etc.

It's a lot to lose. The fact that Mitchell went to Colorado and has 1 less goal than Nash is absolutely scary.

This team is worse after the Nash trade.

I understand "You do that trade 10 times out of 10" but that trade made us a worse team. Look to the standings.

There are so many variables that you are overlooking in your conclusion that it makes my head hurt. If you want to believe all of this teams current woes are due to the Nash trade alone, go ahead. Not interested in convincing you otherwise.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Also, Rick Nash has consistantly looked head and shoulders above any other player on the ice. IMO.... One of the best players to put on a rangers jersey in my 25 years of following this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad