Post-Game Talk: Panthers at Rangers

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
U guys realize we couldn't score last year either right? Even with that bottom 6. Our D is playing worse than last year and so is hank. Combine that with undeperformances from Richards and Gaborik this is the team u get

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
U guys realize we couldn't score last year either right? Even with that bottom 6. Our D is playing worse than last year and so is hank. Combine that with undeperformances from Richards and Gaborik this is the team u get

Not like this, no. A team had a one goal lead and the Rangers at least attempted to claw their way back in and win. This season? We're 28th with GF. Opposing team gets a 1 goal lead and that's that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Usually I vehemently disagree with you, but I agree with most of this. I think the team COULD'VE adapted to the Torts system, as they did last year, but for whatever reason they're not.

Crosby missing and the fact McD and Girardi were better last year than they are this year are two of the biggest reasons we went as far as we did.

No training camp. You can't play Torts system unless you've had months of experience with it... Simple as that. YOu don't essentially get better at Math by failing tests. The actual learning comes from practicing it, then taking tests....

Games are tests... Training camp is the practice/homework... It's like walking into class after not studying for weeks and taking an exam. YOu're going to fail it.

That is part of the problem.

The other part is that at this point, nobody wants to pick up their textbooks and study. They limped their way this far... why start studying now?

Kershaw

13th last year (above average)
29th this year

Big difference.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
No training camp. You can't play Torts system unless you've had months of experience with it... Simple as that. YOu don't essentially get better at Math by failing tests. The actual learning comes from practicing it, then taking tests....

Games are tests... Training camp is the practice/homework... It's like walking into class after not studying for weeks and taking an exam. YOu're going to fail it.

The other part is that at this point, nobody wants to pick up their textbooks and study. They limped their way this far... why start studying now?

Enough with this excuse. Torts himself said that's still no excuse considering 29 other teams went through the same thing the Rangers went through. You don't need the off-season to work on offense.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Enough with this excuse. Torts himself said that's still no excuse considering 29 other teams went through the same thing the Rangers went through. You don't need the off-season to work on offense.

No u need practice to work on the offense and from his own mouth he doesn't practice it

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Unfortunately, with the torts system you do... Some classes take more work than others, for whatever reason. The Rangers are unfortunately stuck in those classes, with a horrible and inflexible professor that wants things done his way... There isn't any rhyme or reason for it... just like some professors are professors, even though they are horrible in the subject.

That is the entire problem.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Unfortunately, with the torts system you do... Some classes take more work than others, for whatever reason. The Rangers are unfortunately stuck in those classes, with a horrible and inflexible professor.

That is the entire problem.

So, you rid the professor. You don't ask players like Gaborik, Nash, and Richards to chip away at the boards and grind it out. You don't wait til the off-season so players stop shooting wide and high.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
So, you rid the professor. You don't ask players like Gaborik, Nash, and Richards to chip away at the boards and grind it out. You don't wait til the off-season so players stop shooting wide and high.

We have a winner. Instead people would rather trade the Rangers best player since Jagr as far as offense goes instead of the professor

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't see how torts can not practice offense and "let the guys do what they want" and also be such a dictator on offense that he's forcing the skill guys to play a very specific game plan. These two things seem mutually exclusive.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012

Then isn't it Torts job to adjust the "system" BECAUSE there was no training camp?

If your toilet is broken you don't just keep using it. Then you just get a pile of crap.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That I can agree with. Definitely. I just didn't like the way Synergy27 worded it; as if with or without Crosby we had some kind of psychological edge. That's due to the Penguins living in the Rangers' heads, rent free, with or without Crosby and/or Malkin.

This team is just ****ing pathetic against the Penguins. Even when we won the Atlantic and Eastern Conference, Pittsburgh still whooped our ***** 4 games to 2.

I probably could have been a little more specific. The psychological "edge" that I think may have been present last season applied in more than just the games against the Pens. Without Crosby, the East was wide open for the taking, and if the players believed that it most definitely could have had a tangible impact on their play.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I can't wait until this "I don't coach the offense in practice" comment can be put to rest. It's even worse than the mysterious "system" and sarcastic "jam" comments.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I can't wait until this "I don't coach the offense in practice" comment can be put to rest. It's even worse than the mysterious "system" and sarcastic "jam" comments.

Well I don't think he means what it sounds like...but none the less when you say something along the lines of "As far as the offense goes we leave that in the hands of the players to work through that".... I heard it with my own ears and it took me by suprise

when the team is terrible on the powerplay and second to last in the league in scoring its clearly evident they don't practice enough offense in practice at the very least.....

Deleted member 23124

Perry Pearn, yes. Along with Renney. The blame for THIS power play struggling lies with Sullivan and Torts.

It goes beyond Torts and Sullivan because the execution is the same as it was under Renney: too much passing, too much skating around the perimeter and everyone passing rather than shooting the puck.

Deleted member 23124

4. Just plain luck. The Rangers won a disproportionate amount of 1 goal/close games last season. We chalked it up to the team pulling together/having jam/being clutch/whatever, but in a league with this much parity, I think the biggest factor was luck. They haven't been so lucky this year.

Out of all the reasons you listed, this is the probably the one that says it all. They won a lot of games playing on the wrong end of the "rope a dope" method. No way anyone is going to continue to win that many games spending the last 5-10 minutes of a game in their defensive zone.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
To be honest, we sort of deserve it for giving a player past 30 that contract. Still, who could have predicted he'd decline this quickly? Perhaps he's just having a bad year, but after seeing how quickly Drury and Gomez dropped off....

Who knows, maybe we have a center iceman free agent curse here in New York.

I said this would happen if they gave him more than 5 years. No one saw this happening in year 2. Unbelievable. This is why you don't get superstar money to players who are not superstars.

You think there is a sense of complacency after the deal? Or is it just a case of him not being as good as he once was?

Just seems like such a dramatic drop off from last year to this, based on what you've all said to this point. Really unfortunate, because all u fixations are that Brad carries himself like the consummate pro - but maybe not if he's taking games off.

Is it an effort problem? Or does he "try but fail to succeed"? Big difference there.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Incorrect. The drop off happened 2 years ago, the moment he inked a contract here. Whether people admit it or not.

Team wins= richard's crap play (aside from a solid showing in the playoffs) goes unnoticed.

Team loses= everyone finally realizes.

Glad people here are finally starting to realize this signing makes the drury one look good

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Incorrect. The drop off happened 2 years ago, the moment he inked a contract here. Whether people admit it or not.

Team wins= richard's crap play (aside from a solid showing in the playoffs) goes unnoticed.

Team loses= everyone finally realizes.

Glad people here are finally starting to realize this signing makes the drury one look good

:lol:

So wrong.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Are Torts And Richards gone yet? Damn. Ill keep refreshing til 1 or the other happens. We ain't goin nowhere with this patchwork of random players.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
:lol:

So wrong.

Drury had 58 points in his first season (Richards 66), and 56 his second season (Richards is on pace for around a whopping 40 points). Drury was also a much more complete player, with significantly inferior linemates.

The denial amongst some of you posters is hilarious and somewhat alarming

Kershaw

Drury had 58 points in his first season (Richards 66), and 56 his second season (Richards is on pace for around a whopping 40 points). Drury was also a much more complete player, with significantly inferior linemates.

The denial amongst some of you posters is hilarious and somewhat alarming

This.

I wouldn't say it's Redden level of blunder, where everyone knew he was finished, but Richards is a much worse hockey player than Drury and Gomez.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't see how torts can not practice offense and "let the guys do what they want" and also be such a dictator on offense that he's forcing the skill guys to play a very specific game plan. These two things seem mutually exclusive.
It's not exclusive if Torts considers the offense to be a preparation for the backcheck. Dump, give the puck away as deep in the offensive zone as possible and prepare to play defense. Rinse and repeat for 60 minutes.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I'll continue with your school analogy. My wife is a teacher so this hits close to home.

Games are tests, you are correct. But they are tests both of execution within a system and of systems vs systems/teams vs teams. You might fail that math test if you don't study, but you might also study your ass off, get straight A's and then get out in the real world and fall flat on your face. What good is studying for tests if they aren't preparing you to succeed when it really counts?

I think American education is broken. I also think Torts system is broken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad