Post-Game Talk: Panthers at Rangers

16 To Stanley*

the bolded. seriously. if you don't think something's wrong after hearing Richards say that, then i don't know what to tell you.

As much as i hate talking about team toughness because i do believe this league is becoming more of a finesse oriented sport, we are missing to much of it. Losing prust, losing rupp, not playing bickel, we don't have those guys that support the team.

We need to bring in more character guys who can play.

Go out and get Ott. Hopefully Asham can stay healthy.

Make a 4th line of Asham-Boyle-Ott.

Waste our 6th spot on D with a crease clearing ****. Someone who can play a shift here and there.

This is what brings a team together. This is what we had last year. That brawl with the devils at the start of the game is what we are missing this year. This team is completely disoriented.

This season is not looking good. Get ready for next season. Make trades for next season. We can compete next season. We need those guys. Powe, Halpern, Pyatt, Boyle etc are not tough and can't bring that element. Get rid of Pyatt, Halpern and Powe

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Players not scoring isn't because we aren't down a man for 5 min. It's because something is broken. The system, the coaching, the players.... Something.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
the bolded. seriously. if you don't think something's wrong after hearing Richards say that, then i don't know what to tell you.

Where did he say that? I haven't had the opportunity to check out the Panthers game and post-games reactions yet. What exactly did he say?

RothmanHockey

Someone quotes torts saying "we don't coach offense" is that actually true

It's taken out of context.

He said he wants them to be creative -- that he doesn't want to dictate to them how to play offensively, but that he wants them to play creatively within the team's system.

Whether you like that answer or not, just quoting him saying he doesn't coach offense is taking a quote well out of context.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Torts is complaing there isn't enough creativity yet he insists on playing a defensive style. I don't understand how a team with this much talent on the it's top 2 lines & several puck moving defensemen that can still play defense plays such a closed off bottle neck dump & chase style of play. What ever happened to the Torts mantra safe is death??

Yes, Lundquist did say they have to start scoring goals. He is right, this is true, but He has to be better as well. No one on this team is playing lights out better than another.

I do think Torts is losing the room. However, winning, (let me say that again) WINNING cures all.

Bottom line they need to open it up.

Lundqvist is one of the only reasons they are in the hunt this season. When your goaltender is a 2.22GAA and .921SV% he should be better than .500. Period.

The biggest reason we won the game against the Hurricanes and Devils is because of Lundqvist. If I was Lundqvist I'd call out the offense too. He's had a bad game here and there, but the stats speak for themselves. With McDonagh/Girardi both having off years, he's the biggest reason we are ranked 5th in the NHL in goals against / game. And you factor in his worse stats.... it's also because the team simply isn't as good this year. He's done his job. I can honestly say that. The team hasn't.

To me, he isn't in God mode, but he is one of the biggest reasons they are even in the hunt. Your goaltender shouldn't have to win a Vezina every year for your team to compete.

The team traded all their depth and chemistry for Rick Nash, didn't re-sign some other key players that they should have, and Torts has lost the team. That's the biggest reason why this team is lacking.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The team traded all their depth and chemistry for Rick Nash, didn't re-sign some other key players that they should have, and Torts has lost the team. That's the biggest reason why this team is lacking.

all their depth and chemistry ? no. they traded 2 players for Nash.

Prust left on his own.

Feds and Mitchell? Their loss shouldn't be setting us back like this.

Collectively though we did lose chemistry and our identity was compromised. this is only compounded by not have a camp/preseason, shortened schedule, pressure to hit the ground running...

a recipe for failure.

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012
Lundqvist is one of the only reasons they are in the hunt this season. When your goaltender is a 2.22GAA and .921SV% he should be better than .500. Period.

Lundqvist has been good, but he has definitely not been as good as last year IMO. Yes his numbers are good, but he has let in some soft goals that you don't normally see from him. That said, he is not the problem with this team, but he definitely was better last year IMO.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
First time poster here...I didn't think we could set the bar any lower as a team after that Buffalo game, and yet here we are. I registered on an impulse just so I could get this off my chest and not pop a blood vessel.

The problem IS the coaching staff, and last night couldn't have made it any clearer. John G's between the benches interview made me want to punch Sully in the throat. "GLORIOUS scoring chances, not finishing, dominating time on attack."

********. We made Markstrom look like a STAR because we fed him 45 of the weakest shots imaginable. We made the Florida D look like GODS because they figured out our "system" and totally shut us down. You can look at the stats and see that we played a really good game and just ran into a hot goalie, but that isn't it at all.

You know what I saw? Endless cycling down low. Every single time the puck would get to the point, it's right back down into the corners. I wanted to tear my ****in hair out. THAT was our whole offense. What happened to just getting pucks on net? What about guys out in front? How many times did the puck trickle out in front of the line, waiting for someone who wasn't there to tip it in?

Torts has this system based on grinding it out and yet fails to implement one of the fundamentals of garbage hockey. He's delusional. Not to mention, this just isn't a grind it out team anymore. We have a superstar first line, a proven stud in Nash, guys who have played well above expectations in Hagelin, Stepan, Callahan, maybe even Kreider if he's used properly. All guys who can score. McD's a competent puck handler, DZ plays with heart. There are your offensive options. You're telling me we can't score more than ONE goal against the worst defense in the league with that lineup? Who's fault is that?

Nobody is playing for Torts anymore, you can see it on the ice. Gabby and Richie have pretty much given up. And honestly, we shot ourselves in the foot. It's way too late in the season to start developing a new system, and make no mistake, that's what we need.

We need a system that fits around and actually BENEFITS the talent of offensively gifted guys like Nash, who last night was reduced to a puck-fumbling, board-crashing nobody, instead of shoehorn them into it. We as a team don't miss guys like Prust, Artie, and Dubi because they were great players, we miss them because they bought into everything Torts was trying to do. This year, the team doesn't, because that isn't the team we are anymore. Before thinking about any trades, we need to think about what this team could do under a coach that promotes and values their creativity. We have nothing to lose at this point.

I'd love for that coach to be Torts, because I don't know who else is out there, but he's just too damn stubborn to change anything. He needs to feel the heat, and get pressured into trying out a new way of playing. The old one's tired and obsolete. It isn't what this year's team is all about. We had a 50 win team based on that, but we also had a significantly deeper bottom 6, which we gave up to get Nash. Why? Because he's a star, he's a catalyst, he's just a gifted player who can control the puck like nobody else and throw his body around. Instead of working around him and coming up with ways to get him to his most productive, we try and fail to do the same exact thing we did last year, with half the talent.

Last night's game, this team's disappointment and downright boring play, is on him. Completely. He needs to face the fact and fix his ****, or go. It's that simple.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
First time poster here...I didn't think we could set the bar any lower as a team after that Buffalo game, and yet here we are. I registered on an impulse just so I could get this off my chest and not pop a blood vessel.

The problem IS the coaching staff, and last night couldn't have made it any clearer. John G's between the benches interview made me want to punch Sully in the throat. "GLORIOUS scoring chances, not finishing, dominating time on attack."

********. We made Markstrom look like a STAR because we fed him 45 of the weakest shots imaginable. We made the Florida D look like GODS because they figured out our "system" and totally shut us down. You can look at the stats and see that we played a really good game and just ran into a hot goalie, but that isn't it at all.

You know what I saw? Endless cycling down low. Every single time the puck would get to the point, it's right back down into the corners. I wanted to tear my ****in hair out. THAT was our whole offense. What happened to just getting pucks on net? What about guys out in front? How many times did the puck trickle out in front of the line, waiting for someone who wasn't there to tip it in?

Torts has this system based on grinding it out and yet fails to implement one of the fundamentals of garbage hockey. He's delusional. Not to mention, this just isn't a grind it out team anymore. We have a superstar first line, a proven stud in Nash, guys who have played well above expectations in Hagelin, Stepan, Callahan, maybe even Kreider if he's used properly. All guys who can score. McD's a competent puck handler, DZ plays with heart. There are your offensive options. You're telling me we can't score more than ONE goal against the worst defense in the league with that lineup? Who's fault is that?

Nobody is playing for Torts anymore, you can see it on the ice. Gabby and Richie have pretty much given up. And honestly, we shot ourselves in the foot. It's way too late in the season to start developing a new system, and make no mistake, that's what we need.

We need a system that fits around and actually BENEFITS the talent of offensively gifted guys like Nash, who last night was reduced to a puck-fumbling, board-crashing nobody, instead of shoehorn them into it. We as a team don't miss guys like Prust, Artie, and Dubi because they were great players, we miss them because they bought into everything Torts was trying to do. This year, the team doesn't, because that isn't the team we are anymore. Before thinking about any trades, we need to think about what this team could do under a coach that promotes and values their creativity. We have nothing to lose at this point.

I'd love for that coach to be Torts, because I don't know who else is out there, but he's just too damn stubborn to change anything. He needs to feel the heat, and get pressured into trying out a new way of playing. The old one's tired and obsolete. It isn't what this year's team is all about. We had a 50 win team based on that, but we also had a significantly deeper bottom 6, which we gave up to get Nash. Why? Because he's a star, he's a catalyst, he's just a gifted player who can control the puck like nobody else and throw his body around. Instead of working around him and coming up with ways to get him to his most productive, we try and fail to do the same exact thing we did last year, with half the talent.

Last night's game, this team's disappointment and downright boring play, is on him. Completely. He needs to face the fact and fix his ****, or go. It's that simple.

Great post and fully agree.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
all their depth and chemistry ? no. they traded 2 players for Nash.

Prust left on his own.

Feds and Mitchell? Their loss shouldn't be setting us back like this.

Collectively though we did lose chemistry and our identity was compromised. this is only compounded by not have a camp/preseason, shortened schedule, pressure to hit the ground running...

a recipe for failure.

Our identity was compromised because we lost Anisimov, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Prust, and Mitchell. All of which were a "Torts kind of guy."

Anyone who thinks we are better after the Nash trade is delusional. We lost players who bought into Torts system. I'll say it again, if the intent was to trade for Nash and lose all of the depth players to handle his ridiculous contract WITHOUT changing the teams system, it was a horrible trade. I understand that Prust went his own way, and I respect that, but we still lost 4 players who all bought into Tortorella's blue collar style of hockey. That's 1/3rd of your forward core.

The team, with all of those losses, doesn't have the personnel for the same system. Again, if Tortorella had no intention in adapting a new system for the new personnel and Rick Nash, it was only a trade that would set us back (and that's on the coach).

And Nash has been good, but not nearly good enough to make up for all of the lost players and chemistry. He's got 10 goals and 25 points, it's not exactly earth shattering. He's been dominant in stretches and a ghost in other stretches (the last five or six games he's looked frustrated and out of place). Anisimov has 6 goals, Mitchell has 9 goals, Prust has 4 goals, etc.

It's a lot to lose. The fact that Mitchell went to Colorado and has 1 less goal than Nash is absolutely scary.

This team is worse after the Nash trade.

I understand "You do that trade 10 times out of 10" but that trade made us a worse team. Look to the standings.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

This cat is gonna fit right in... :handclap:

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Our identity was compromised because we lost Anisimov, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Prust, and Mitchell. All of which were a "Torts kind of guy."

Anyone who thinks we are better after the Nash trade is delusional. We lost players who bought into Torts system. I'll say it again, if the intent was to trade for Nash and lose all of the depth players to handle his ridiculous contract WITHOUT changing the teams system, it was a horrible trade. I understand that Prust went his own way, and I respect that, but we still lost 4 players who all bought into Tortorella's blue collar style of hockey. That's 1/3rd of your forward core.

The team, with all of those losses, doesn't have the personnel for the same system. Again, if Tortorella had no intention in adapting a new system for the new personnel and Rick Nash, it was only a trade that would set us back (and that's on the coach).

And Nash has been good, but not nearly good enough to make up for all of the lost players and chemistry. He's got 10 goals and 25 points, it's not exactly earth shattering. He's been dominant in stretches and a ghost in other stretches (the last five or six games he's looked frustrated and out of place). Anisimov has 6 goals, Mitchell has 9 goals, Prust has 4 goals, etc.

It's a lot to lose. The fact that Mitchell went to Colorado and has 1 less goal than Nash is absolutely scary.

This team is worse after the Nash trade.

I understand "You do that trade 10 times out of 10" but that trade made us a worse team. Look to the standings.

I'd take the Nash trade any day, it was a steal, but under different circumstances maybe. We were coming off the best season in years, a deep playoff run, and theoretically, we didn't really...need him. We are absolutely a worse team with Nash, despite how much I'll admit to loving him as a player and guy in general.

We had a team that worked, played a really good season, and then decided it was a good time to change everything up. I understand that if we didn't go for it then we likely never would have gotten Nash, but you're right in saying there's no point to having him if the coach isn't going to adapt. We have to start playing differently.

Dorado*

Columbus East Ny Nashers , if Gartner was the best player never to win a cup , Nash is going to challenge for that .
Without a complete blow up and at least 4 year overhaul of personnel
This group isn't winning anything . If Hank wants to walk let him and get the highest bounty of youth and talent
Someone needs to take the reigns :
Somebody left the gate open
A runaway train gone insane

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Completely? No. I disagree with that.

It seems like people opt to blame the coach instead of the players because they feel some emotional connection to the players, the guys who wear the jersey and score the goals and win the games when they're playing well.

From what I'm seeing, it is not simply a coaching problem. There is a huge coaching problem, yes, and I agree with you that the strategy needs to be adjusted to a new lineup. However, I'm sick of seeing all the players get free passes because people prefer to deuce all over Torts instead of them. They are absolutely at fault to a degree. I don't care if the coach is a bushel of apples, this team should be able to score more than 1 goal against the worst team in the league. A superstar first line? Maybe if you walked through a time machine and came out last year. Richards has been an awful, awful deadweight on this team so far. Gaborik was pretty terrible the past few weeks, but he at least showed some of the speed and shooting that he's well known for last night. The bottom 6 hasn't done a damn thing in a long time, and that's not because of the coach. They're grinding players, they should be able to do something with that style.

Lastly, part of this disaster is on Slats. He completely undervalued guys like Prust, Fedotenko and Mitchell. They weren't great players but they played Torts' style well and it wouldn't have broken the bank to keep them. If he was goign to bit the bullet and trade AA and Dubi for Nash, he should have kept the bottom 6 guys from last year in an attempt to at least have some roster continuity.

Long story short, Torts is a problem, maybe even a huge problem, but he's not the entire problem by a long shot. Players deserve their amount of blame in all of this, as do the guys upstairs making the roster moves.

Dorado*

Purge at deadline as many assets as you can that have been tainted with lack of creativity .
I'd even move Nash at the draft . Buy out Richards trade Gaborik . Start from scratch . Last year was the team built mostly on home browns and it fell short . Re boot re load look to win lottery in 2015 and find a player like Tavares . Stop drafting defenseman and draft some good centers and LWs

Dorado*

I am checking the news every hr or so waiting for Torts to get fired.

Please hockey gods here my Novena fire Torts and play as many kids as you have and sell off buy out all the UFA Re tread hacks . Please let this season end and get us a first round pick back . Please fore torts hire Scott Gordon and play a versatile adaptive game with a good PP .
Please HOCKEY God fire Torts and put him at the bus stop with Sean Avery and see how he fares

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Completely? No. I disagree with that.

It seems like people opt to blame the coach instead of the players because they feel some emotional connection to the players, the guys who wear the jersey and score the goals and win the games when they're playing well.

From what I'm seeing, it is not simply a coaching problem. There is a huge coaching problem, yes, and I agree with you that the strategy needs to be adjusted to a new lineup. However, I'm sick of seeing all the players get free passes because people prefer to deuce all over Torts instead of them. They are absolutely at fault to a degree. I don't care if the coach is a bushel of apples, this team should be able to score more than 1 goal against the worst team in the league. A superstar first line? Maybe if you walked through a time machine and came out last year. Richards has been an awful, awful deadweight on this team so far. Gaborik was pretty terrible the past few weeks, but he at least showed some of the speed and shooting that he's well known for last night. The bottom 6 hasn't done a damn thing in a long time, and that's not because of the coach. They're grinding players, they should be able to do something with that style.

Lastly, part of this disaster is on Slats. He completely undervalued guys like Prust, Fedotenko and Mitchell. They weren't great players but they played Torts' style well and it wouldn't have broken the bank to keep them. If he was goign to bit the bullet and trade AA and Dubi for Nash, he should have kept the bottom 6 guys from last year in an attempt to at least have some roster continuity.

Long story short, Torts is a problem, maybe even a huge problem, but he's not the entire problem by a long shot. Players deserve their amount of blame in all of this, as do the guys upstairs making the roster moves.

This.

If Richards didn't forget how to be good we'd be fine right now. The problem is we have a good second line and 2/3rds of a 1st line, with both of those 1st liners being streaky (although Gabs slump may be long enough now where we can just consider him to not be having a great season.)

Our bottom six can't score. Is that a system issue? Partly, since I think guys like Pyatt and Powe should at least be getting dirty goals (20 and 13 points last year for both of them) but they should be doing things by themselves.

The decision to do EVERYTHING on the boards or behind the net is a problem. But it's more than just that. It really blows Richards isn't good anymore- our windows to contend depended on how long he was good and now once he's gone (and possibly Gabby, too) we'll be back to a team looking for that one piece to put us over the top.

I can't wait until this season is over.

And who knows, they might all wake up and turn it on and be monsters in the playoffs. Gaborik and Nash can absolutely do it and I can't fully buy into the idea Richards is done being useful. But the past 30 games have been entirely unenjoyable after last year.

And it doesn't help the NHL is run by ****ing idiots that gave us 48 games to work everything out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad