Pre-Game Talk: Panthers at Penguins, Chuck Kobasew: 1st line winger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
TBH, Jokinen/Pyatt isn't even a top 5 concern for the playoffs this season.

The debate? No.

Jokinen's role? Yes, because this team will NEED Malkin and Neal firing on all cylinders, not picking up the slack doing the dirty work and defensively for their third wheel, to beat a top defensive team in the playoffs.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
1. It's funny how many of the bunnies can't comprehend that distinction. BTW, how does Jokinen 'look' when Malkin and Neal aren't on fire? :)

2. Jokinen is a far better player than Pyatt. Pyatt is the far better complement for Malkin. What's destroyed his game is that his speed is gone. Playing with Malkin and Neal is the one spot on the Pens where that weakness is mitigated. What's still good about his game is his puck retrieval skills. THAT is a boon for Malkin and a skill player.

3. Pyatt isn't a long term solution. Neither is Jokinen. Jokinen could be a solution for this team on Sid's RW OR Sutter's wing. Too bad the Pens never notice what logic dictates OR the type of winger Malkin and Neal truly need. And, when the playoffs come . . . :shakehead

Better than Pyatt. Jokinen may not look great when Geno and Neal aren't performing but he may actually make an occasionally good pass or smart play to set up something for Malkin or Neal. Pyatt can do diddly squat , he's ok on the boards purely because he's a very large man. By this logic Glass is a better fit for Malkin-Neal than Jokinen.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The debate? No.

Jokinen's role? Yes, because this team will NEED Malkin and Neal firing on all cylinders, not picking up the slack doing the dirty work and defensively for their third wheel, to beat a top defensive team in the playoffs.

It's really not.

1) Fleury
2) Bylsma
3) 4th line
4) Health
5) Orpik/Letang... Engelland on defense

All bigger concerns. You can argue opinion, but Jesus, there are way more serious problems than Jokinen on Malkin's wing. The third line is a massive concern too, Conner/Ebbett/Kobasew possibly on wing no matter what is a serious problem; God only knows what happens to Crosby's line. Malkin's line won't be worth **** with those problems, those problems don't get overcome by one line.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Really? Engelland and Bortuzzo sitting, Despres and PL3 back in the AHL. I hardly see this as less soff.

I was talking about using Pyatt at 3RW vs the revolving door we've had there since TK was moved.

Still too much crap in the regular lineup to get excited, but I do like the return of Megna.

Not excited about anything as yet.

Swear that the media want Despres gone even if no-one else does. It's like a pathetic witch hunt whilst "Family" is immune from criticism.

Honestly people need to start ignoring these morons. Who gives a **** what they "want" or think when they seem to know so little about the game? They're ill-informed (somehow) and do their job as half-assed as half-assed gets. It hurts me even to mention their names in criticism; they don't even deserve that much attention. So much better stuff to talk about WRT to hockey and how this team plays. There are probably a dozen people in here with no journalistic training at all who would do a much better job at analyzing and writing about the Pens than the Trib Morons.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The problem is the Post Gazette has too many old school guys who barely understand hockey, and the Trib hires guys like Rossi and Yohe who are more hip media savvy and who are only interested in getting better publicity.. we don't have many, if any, legit sports reporters here in Pgh... its all rating grabbers like Madden these days

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
The problem is the Post Gazette has too many old school guys who barely understand hockey, and the Trib hires guys like Rossi and Yohe who are more hip media savvy and who are only interested in getting better publicity.. we don't have many, if any, legit sports reporters here in Pgh... its all rating grabbers like Madden these days

You really don't think Dave Molinari knows anything about hockey? This place is really becoming absurd to the point it isn't even amusing, let alone informative or interesting.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah who exactly are you talking about at the Post-Gazette? Molinari's been honored by the fricking Hall of Fame and Shelly Anderson is neither old school or a guy. I mean she's completely useless but that doesn't apply to either of your criticisms.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Striking the difference in scoring leaders. Yeah, it is Crosby, but 12 goals all year leads you? 16 assists?

Florida ................................. Pittsburgh
Pts A Barkov 23 ..................... S Crosby 68
G B Boyes 12 .......................... S Crosby 25
A T Fleischmann 16 ..................... S Crosby 43

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah who exactly are you talking about at the Post-Gazette? Molinari's been honored by the fricking Hall of Fame and Shelly Anderson is neither old school or a guy. I mean she's completely useless but that doesn't apply to either of your criticisms.

In all honesty I forgot about Molinari, though even as beat writer he doesn't do the majority of the Pens articles. Its more Cook and Collier and to a lesser extent on the blogs Smizik... Let me also say I don't mind Dejan Kovacevic over at the trib.. And Stan Savaran...whenever and wherever he has a gig... but there are a lot of rotten sports guys when it comes to hockey in the Pittsburgh media

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
This in my opinion is the most important thing to remember. Many coaches screw over their rookies, that I cannot fault Bylsma for. It is the norm. However, in game strategy is something Bylsma really screws up with that actually costs us games.

There's a difference between deferring to vets when the players are close and deferring to vets when the rookie is much better than the vet.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'd be shocked if Pyatt's the solution, he'll look decent when Malkin and Neal are on fire but he's going to be an anchor when they're not having a strong game.

He's not the solution, he's just the best stop gap till BB is back or there is a trade.

JJ should be playing with Sutter to develop chemistry and give Sutter a consistent line-mate.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's been way too long since i've seen a Pens game:

The thing is, Pyatt looked great with JJ and Geno.
Him and Geno looked like they had some good chemistry going, working the cycle etc.

A Pyatt-Malkin-Neal line could be a fantastic line that dominates possession.

I'm kinda hoping JJ-M-N goes cold for a bit and Pyatt gets bumped up again. I want to see it tried over a 3-4 game stretch.

Really hope Megna can play today. Sid needs a RW'er badly!

Michael8771*

Really hope Megna can play today. Sid needs a RW'er badly!
Not to be a stick in the mud, however Sid's leading the league in scoring by a wide margin with games in hand on his closest competitors, not sure exactly how ''badly'' he needs a RW at the moment.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not to be a stick in the mud, however Sid's leading the league in scoring by a wide margin with games in hand on his closest competitors, not sure exactly how ''badly'' he needs a RW at the moment.

Well, when the other options right now are Glass, Adams and Kobasew, i'd say pretty damn badly.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Striking the difference in scoring leaders. Yeah, it is Crosby, but 12 goals all year leads you? 16 assists?

Florida ................................. Pittsburgh
Pts A Barkov 23 ..................... S Crosby 68
G B Boyes 12 .......................... S Crosby 25
A T Fleischmann 16 ..................... S Crosby 43

Isn't Huberdeau injured? Anyway, Boyes leading in goals seems pretty terrifying as he is not exactly the most prolific scorer in the world. He's like Florida's version of Dupuis in term of finishing as Barkov has set him up for at least a double amount of what stands on the G column right now.

But yeah. Crosby has almost the amount of goals alone what Florida leaders have for both G and A. Expecting #87 to light it up big time today.

Michael8771*

Well, when the other options right now are Glass, Adams and Kobasew, i'd say pretty damn badly.
I guess it all in how you look at it. I would think Sutter or Jokinen would get a shot before Adams or Glass. I'm all for Sid getting that big time winger, I'm just suggesting that for the time being he's doing pretty well with Kunitz.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think people are being a little ridiculous about Pyatt, to be honest.

Welcome to HFB, where one day everyone thinks a waiver wire pick up is an example of how we have te worst GM in the league and the next day he's our solution to Malkin's LW.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Welcome to HFB, where one day everyone thinks a waiver wire pick up is an example of how we have te worst GM in the league and the next day he's our solution to Malkin's LW.

nobody thinks he is the solution there. But some of us think its worth seeing if he can be a stopgap.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
In a cap strapped year, you play the hand you're dealt.

JJ
Bennett
Megna
Pyatt

Are you're options to play LW with G-N.
It's not so far fetched that Pyatt likes it here and finds his game enough to be a 3rd wheel over the other 3.

But i guess everyone has Kulemin penciled in already.:sarcasm:

Penguinzilla*

Molinari knows his stuff.

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
I read this thread and have no complaints. I would like to see the pens win and have them try their best.

I don't read the trib, so I don't have an opinion. Is the Gazette where the juicy stuff is?

I think I'll start there, if it's the greatest.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pyatt has had a rough couple of years (personal life) maybe it's what he needed to get back on track. I don't think he is the solution to a top 6 role but I also don't think he is that bad of a player and I do honestly think there is a roster spot for him on our 4th line down the road

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Pyatt is going to turn into the second best power forward in the game today. The best power forward is, of course, the man who this board thought should also be locked to Malkin's wing, Eric Tangradi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad