Confirmed with Link: Panthers acquire Mike Hoffman & 2018 7th from SJ, for 2019 2nd & 2018 4th + 5th round picks

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
SC winners top5 goal scorers (regular season) since 2010:

Kane (30), Toews (25), Sharp (25), Hossa (24) and Brouwer (22).

Lucic (30), Horton (26), Bergeron (22), Marchand (21) and Ryder (18).

Kopitar (25), Williams (22), Brown (22), Richards (18) and Doughty (10). Also Carter with 21, but he scored only 6 of those goals with LA.

[LOCKOUT, 48 GAMES] Kane (23), Toews (23), Hossa (17), Saad (10) and Stålberg/Bickell/Shaw (9).

Kopitar (29), Carter (27), Williams (19), King (15) and Brown (15).

Toews (28), Kane (27), Saad (23), Hossa (22) and Sharp (16).

Crosby (36), Malkin (27), Kessel (26), Hörnqvist (22) and Kunitz (17).

Crosby (44), Malkin (33), Kessel (23), Sheary (23) and Hörnqvist (21).

Ovechkin (49), Kuznetsov (27), Bäckström (21), Oshie (18) and Eller (18).

TL;DR, depth >> one player. We have 5 players that are guaranteed to hit 20 (as long as they're healthy for most of the season) and 4 of those won't be far off 30. Jakey's fixation on superstar players is more suitable to the NBA world.
and again going into an in depth analysis of a claim I never made. teams do not need 40 goal scorers to win the cup. THIS team is so far and away inferior to every single one of those teams that IT needs a 40 goal scorer. imagine goin to all that effort to argue a straw man.

some perspective:
jake sees a fat bald man talking about how he's gonna get with giselle bundchen. jake tells the man he'd need ten billion dollars to get with her. the panthers forum explodes and all shriek in unison that tom brady gets with her every night and he's not even a billionaire at all. there's ur little glimpse into what it is to be me talking to u guys sometimes.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
and again going into an in depth analysis of a claim I never made. teams do not need 40 goal scorers to win the cup. THIS team is so far and away inferior to every single one of those teams that IT needs a 40 goal scorer. imagine goin to all that effort to argue a straw man.

some perspective:
jake sees a fat bald man talking about how he's gonna get with giselle bundchen. jake tells the man he'd need ten billion dollars to get with her. the panthers forum explodes and all shriek in unison that tom brady gets with her every night and he's not even a billionaire at all. there's ur little glimpse into what it is to be me talking to u guys sometimes.

But then you have to substantiate your claim. Why does THIS team need a 40 goal scorer when OTHER teams didnt? Is it defense? It certainly isnt goal scoring as LAST YEAR'S team and THIS YEAR's team is projected to score MORE goals than a couple of those cup winning teams.

Is it a defense problem? Then that has nothing to do with a 40 goal scorer. Is it goaltending? Then again, it's not about having a 40 goal scorer. Goal scoring is the least of this team's concerns. We were 13th (or 14th) LAST year and we added a 20-30 goal scorer without losing any scoring anywhere. It simply doesnt make sense.

Your comparing attraction and relationships to goal scoring. I dont even know why I am wasting my time responding to it. In fact, I now feel a little worse about myself for doing so.

/Help

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
But then you have to substantiate your claim. Why does THIS team need a 40 goal scorer when OTHER teams didnt? Is it defense? It certainly isnt goal scoring as LAST YEAR'S team and THIS YEAR's team is projected to score MORE goals than a couple of those cup winning teams.

Is it a defense problem? Then that has nothing to do with a 40 goal scorer. Is it goaltending? Then again, it's not about having a 40 goal scorer. Goal scoring is the least of this team's concerns. We were 13th (or 14th) LAST year and we added a 20-30 goal scorer without losing any scoring anywhere. It simply doesnt make sense.

Your comparing attraction and relationships to goal scoring. I dont even know why I am wasting my time responding to it. In fact, I now feel a little worse about myself for doing so.

/Help
you should feel way more than a little worse about urself but not for the reasons u think. r u actually making the case that the panthers 18-19 lineup rivals those cup champion rosters? u seem to be doing that if u don't think our offense is far off and u actually need me to quanitify how our defense/goaltending is worse. it would normally blow my mind that someone would need me to clarify this but it is a panthers forum after all. is it possible to be astonished yet not surprised?

in any case here's how having worse defense and goaltending have literally everything to do with worse offense. have u literally lived this long and never heard the saying "the best defense is a good offense"? its pretty widely used and makes perfect sense. we could stand ekblad, yandle, matheson getting deked and burned by pasta and bergeron all day as long as we win the game 6-4. how on earth does this need an explanation? the panthers are not a cup contender. like not at all. to even pretend to be one, they'd need a much better 1D/2D and a great scoring winger. this should be crazy obvious. unless u see barkov hoisting the cup next summer?

imagine the migraine of coming to panther forums every year and being swamped by unbridled unjustified optimism and having to be proven right again and again about something u desperately want to be wrong about but simply aren't. and no, not posting isn't an answer when u love hockey and want to talk about it. just hoping against hope u guys could ever come to ur senses so we could commiserate properly.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
you should feel way more than a little worse about urself but not for the reasons u think. r u actually making the case that the panthers 18-19 lineup rivals those cup champion rosters? u seem to be doing that if u don't think our offense is far off and u actually need me to quanitify how our defense/goaltending is worse. it would normally blow my mind that someone would need me to clarify this but it is a panthers forum after all. is it possible to be astonished yet not surprised?

in any case here's how having worse defense and goaltending have literally everything to do with worse offense. have u literally lived this long and never heard the saying "the best defense is a good offense"? its pretty widely used and makes perfect sense. we could stand ekblad, yandle, matheson getting deked and burned by pasta and bergeron all day as long as we win the game 6-4. how on earth does this need an explanation? the panthers are not a cup contender. like not at all. to even pretend to be one, they'd need a much better 1D/2D and a great scoring winger. this should be crazy obvious. unless u see barkov hoisting the cup next summer?

imagine the migraine of coming to panther forums every year and being swamped by unbridled unjustified optimism and having to be proven right again and again about something u desperately want to be wrong about but simply aren't. and no, not posting isn't an answer when u love hockey and want to talk about it. just hoping against hope u guys could ever come to ur senses so we could commiserate properly.

I heard that mantra "The best defense is the best offense" 2 seasons ago all year long........and the season went horribly.

The best defense is a good defense....and your offense is your offense. Stout defense is always more sustainable than having to rely on goal scoring which can easily dry up at a moments notice.

How did this team even finish strong this past season? Oh due in part to improved defensive play. Goal scoring was consisent, defensive play didnt improve till December.

Let me save you the migraine then.

EmExit.jpg

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I heard that mantra "The best defense is the best offense" 2 seasons ago all year long........and the season went horribly.

The best defense is a good defense....and your offense is your offense. Stout defense is always more sustainable than having to rely on goal scoring which can easily dry up at a moments notice.

How did this team even finish strong this past season? Oh due in part to improved defensive play. Goal scoring was consisent, defensive play didnt improve till December.

Let me save you the migraine then.

EmExit.jpg
that didn't save me any migraines. take the worst defense in the nhl, add three 50 goal scorers, and guess what noones talking about come seasons end. its such a ridiculously easy concept to understand. yes our defense improved at the end of the year. obviously that's going to help u win games. was our offense elite during that span? of course not. had it been, thered have been far less need for improved defensive play. this is like hockey for dummies. can u at least admit that in principle if a team scores a ton of goals, it doesn't matter if they let in a slightly less ton of goals? we might have a bridge between us there if u can hop aboard that math train.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
that didn't save me any migraines. take the worst defense in the nhl, add three 50 goal scorers, and guess what noones talking about come seasons end. its such a ridiculously easy concept to understand. yes our defense improved at the end of the year. obviously that's going to help u win games. was our offense elite during that span? of course not. had it been, thered have been far less need for improved defensive play. this is like hockey for dummies. can u at least admit that in principle if a team scores a ton of goals, it doesn't matter if they let in a slightly less ton of goals? we might have a bridge between us there if u can hop aboard that math train.
Your principle works if we’re talking youth hockey or pickup games. But in the NH-fn-L, everyone knows you gotta stop the other team. Why does every friggin team want offense who play a 200-ft game? Defense. Why does every friggin team want wingers to cover their men? Defense. Why does every friggin team have a special role for the center in the d-zone? Defense. And then, when they get the puck, they go on offense. The best offense like Dadonov and Hoffman anticipate the moment when Barkov strips the puck or controls the loose puck along the boards, and they free themselves up for offense. Really, this is what every good team wants. It’s really not complicated unless one has been watching hockey games thinking they were rugby.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I don’t really care if we get a 40 goal scorer or not but I see where Jakeybonez is coming from.

This team has had offensive struggles since it’s inception. Im tired of every other team getting studs who can score while we sit here with our thumb up our butts.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Barkov 25-35g
Huberdeau 25-35g
Trocheck 25-35g
Hoffman 25-35g
Dadonov 25-35g
Bjugstad 20-30g
McGinn 10-15g
McCann 10-15g
Malgin 10-15g

Ekblad 15-20g
Mattheson 10g
Yandle 5-10g

Thats not to mention guys like Mamin, Borgstrom, Vatrano, Sceviour, etc. Yeah, this team needs a 40g scorer.

I don’t really care if we get a 40 goal scorer or not but I see where Jakeybonez is coming from.

This team has had offensive struggles since it’s inception. Im tired of every other team getting studs who can score while we sit here with our thumb up our butts.

They didnt sit on their butts though. They tried upgrading the D at the deadline last year, added depth to it this summer, and added a 30 goal scorer to our top six for pennies on the dollar. Im sure that if there is something out there, they will seriously look into it.

And yeah, this team has sucked at scoring forever, even when we had a 50 goal scorer in Bure, but aside from Mack and Haley, everyone up front has the capabilities to put the puck in the net. And even though we dont have that superstar 40 goal scorer we apparently need, we have never had this type of offensive depth up front, ever in our history.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Barkov 25-35g
Huberdeau 25-35g
Trocheck 25-35g
Hoffman 25-35g
Dadonov 25-35g
Bjugstad 20-30g
McGinn 10-15g
McCann 10-15g
Malgin 10-15g

Ekblad 15-20g
Mattheson 10g
Yandle 5-10g

Thats not to mention guys like Mamin, Borgstrom, Vatrano, Sceviour, etc. Yeah, this team needs a 40g scorer.

They didnt sit on their butts though. They tried upgrading the D at the deadline last year, added depth to it this summer, and added a 30 goal scorer to our top six for pennies on the dollar. Im sure that if there is something out there, they will seriously look into it.

And yeah, this team has sucked at scoring forever, even when we had a 50 goal scorer in Bure, but aside from Mack and Haley, everyone up front has the capabilities to put the puck in the net. And even though we dont have that superstar 40 goal scorer we apparently need, we have never had this type of offensive depth up front, ever in our history.

That’s true, and I agree. Getting Hoffman for peanuts is huge. Maybe we’re just not giving that trade enough credit.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Barkov 25-35g
Huberdeau 25-35g
Trocheck 25-35g
Hoffman 25-35g
Dadonov 25-35g
Bjugstad 20-30g
McGinn 10-15g
McCann 10-15g
Malgin 10-15g

Ekblad 15-20g
Mattheson 10g
Yandle 5-10g

I don't mean to nitpick here but those projections are all extraordinarily optimistic to say the least. Trocheck popped 31 last season for the team lead and you've got five guys listed as potentially reaching 35.

Anyway, I'm not even sure I understand the argument above you. Would it be nice to have a 40 goal scorer? Sure, but it's been proven that all things being equal depth scoring and a well-rounded team will win out in the long run.

Y'all need to chill.

Reactions: JP Mick

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I don't mean to nitpick here but those projections are all extraordinarily optimistic to say the least. Trocheck popped 31 last season for the team lead and you've got five guys listed as potentially reaching 35.

Anyway, I'm not even sure I understand the argument above you. Would it be nice to have a 40 goal scorer? Sure, but it's been proven that all things being equal depth scoring and a well-rounded team will win out in the long run.

Y'all need to chill.

Well he did hit 31 last season, so I don’t think the range is out of the question. I’m not going to kid myself and think some have more than what I projected. Some could be more in the 20-25 range, but it still doesn’t mean our offense is in need for a “40 goal scorer.”

And btw, there is no chill with some posters here lol.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
That’s true, and I agree. Getting Hoffman for peanuts is huge. Maybe we’re just not giving that trade enough credit.
We'll see how it goes? He was gotten for peanuts for a reason. I trust that Dale did his homework but let's not pretend there were no red flags here lol

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Your principle works if we’re talking youth hockey or pickup games. But in the NH-fn-L, everyone knows you gotta stop the other team. Why does every friggin team want offense who play a 200-ft game? Defense. Why does every friggin team want wingers to cover their men? Defense. Why does every friggin team have a special role for the center in the d-zone? Defense. And then, when they get the puck, they go on offense. The best offense like Dadonov and Hoffman anticipate the moment when Barkov strips the puck or controls the loose puck along the boards, and they free themselves up for offense. Really, this is what every good team wants. It’s really not complicated unless one has been watching hockey games thinking they were rugby.
yes in a fairy tale world wed like pavel bure to score 60 while playing defense. we all get that its good to have offene and defense. can I be on record as being brave enough to say offense and defense are both things I'd like the panthers to be good at? ok great, now that we've got obvious nonsense out of the way, this game is won by scoring more goals than the opposition. I literally don't care how that happens. it can be 1-0 games or 10-9 games. there is a degree to which offense can be improved without sacrificing much defense or at least improving it majorly while minorly decreasing the effectiveness of our defense. adding a 40 goal scorer would in no conceivable world decrease the effectiveness of our defense to the point where his 40 goals became meaningless. there is almost no case to be found like this. u will not find a single player on earth capable of scoring 40 goals in an nhl season in the modern age of low scoring hockey and have him sitting there unsigned due to his poor defense. that is simply not reality. most mistakes a 40 goal guy makes would likely be covered by the D/goalie. and when they aren't, so be it. that's the price u pay for a game breaking fwd the likes of which we only had for 2 yrs.

now step aside for a moment and realize that I never even said I wanted a 40 goal scorer who "couldn't defend". u can throw any additional skills u deem necessary onto him and ill take them in the package. all I said is this team needs a 40 goal guy if we wanna compete for the cup. now there's a whole host of other things we'd need if were not getting a 40 goal scorer but I wasn't sitting there picking apart all the pieces that'd need to be better to be a cup contender or else I just would've said replace our roster with the pens/caps/lightning etc. I was trying to make a simple straight forward OBVIOUS statement that somehow turned into a year long conversation because its perceived to be a negative thing said by me about the panthers which as we all know, simply cannot stand. the panthers have been awesome, are awesome, and will be awesome until the end of time. they need noone and nothing. the offense is elite. hoffman will take us to the promised land. the D is superb. ain't nuthin getting by ek and yand. and luongo will live forever. we'll follow up our last 3 cups with 3 more and become the nhls mightiest dynasty. in tallon I trust. I'm a patient panther. lets keep the good times rollin. f*** anyone who sees it any other way especially jakey. whens he ever been right about anything?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
@Jakeybonz, where do you propose we find a 40 goal scorer? Eight players last year scored 40 or more goals. Eight.

Maybe we should deal with reality rather than dream about suppositions.
I don't think we can. I was saying that's what wed need. as in, were not going to be a contender next year and that's just the way it is. people were talking like hoffmans gonna get us to the cup and I was tempering absurd expectations as I do. getting panarin should be an absolute priority as he is the next best thing available to a 40 goal scorer and he wants to play here. his more than ppg pace would be almost as good as a 40 goal scorer and wed instantly leap into one of the best teams in the league. we still likely wouldn't win the cup with our defence but we could make a few conference finals and maybe a cup final appearance instead of being the wild card team we are now. I think I'm the only one here that thinks being the worst franchise in the history of the nhl is a bad thing. it seriously seems like people are ecstatic that we've missed the playoffs 80% of our existence and don't seem to be doing much about it unless gifted a 25 goal scorer for free. would panarin cost a lot? yes. would he finally make us legit? yes if we don't have to give up any of our top 5 fwds to get him which I don't think wed have to do. I honestly think we wouldn't have to give even borg if we packaged bjug, tippett, and a 1st +2nd or pysyk/petro. that should get the job done. we would be an elite team and fiiiiiiiiinally a cap team as well. that second part makes me know its impossible, though.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
From the Sens' board:

Behind-the-scenes look into how events unfolded in Karlsson-Hoffman dispute

"Karlssons have yet to provide her, or Hoffman, any evidence as to why they believe she was the person behind the harassment campaign"
"Horrocks, a software engineer, told this newspaper that he looked at the IP addresses that created about 200 negative posts on the website on Erik Karlsson’s page. In his opinion, there was nothing he viewed to connect Caryk to any of the negative posts on Karlsson’s fan page".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad