Panarin

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Here's the thing with ufas. They want financial stability and security. Im willing to give one or the other but the numbers start coming down as the years go up. 28 to 35 means 3 years good one year fair and 3 at increasingly worse. I'd rather do 12m for five than 10.5x7. I have the feeling someone is going 12x7 and thats bad. Stone got the extra year at the lower price but i think panarin doesn't hold up as well on the back end. I'd love to see him take a shocker deal to reunite with q at like 8 but its far from likely

I agree with you in that I would almost always prefer to give a higher AAV in exchange for shorter term on UFA deals.

In this case, due to Panarin’s relatively young age for a UFA and limited wear and tear from only being in his 4th NHL season and only 11 playoff games to date, I think he’s got a much better chance of holding up through the majority of his UFA contract than most players.

Couple that with the Flyers current cap situation and prospect depth, and I think it’s the perfect storm to do whatever it takes to get him here. It would take some serious cap mismanagement to put us in trouble within the next 4-5 years (or Some young players turning into stars and requiring huge RFa deals), and by that time JVR and Voracek’s contracts are coming off the books

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So have any reporters figured out what teams pajamas Panarin wore when he was a kid?

That’d make this a whole lot easier to predict.

leggings,m,x875,front-bg,f3f3f3.2.jpg

Uh oh.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Panarin's more valuable too. There's McDavid, Kucherov, Crosby, maybe Matthews ... I've run out of guys who are better offensive players. Panarin's an elite play-driver as well. PLD and Atkinson are terrific but neither one is Mitch Marner.

Well there’s still better players like Colorado’s top line, Gaudreau etc. Hes very good but I don’t think he could negotiate that he’s more valuable than JT. Especially not as a wing. Of course his value goes up if the market dictates that. JT didn’t have a free for all like Panarin will and apparently he turned down more money. In the end I want Panarin at any cost bc we can afford it and he would make this team a cup contender for years, maybe even approaching a decade. So it’s not just a why not move like it would be for the panthers. Or JT was for the leafs. This is pin point need that we can fill on the dot with one player. Unlike the panthers and leafs that could have prob gone for D/G and D before thinking about offense.

It's not like Tavares spent the last few years with the Islanders with plugs either. We remember the 100+ Minutes he spent with names like Kulemin and Chimera, but in his previous 3 seasons, he spent more time at 5v5 on the ice with both Bailey and Lee than away from them.

Yes but Panarin played with guys like Kane, Hossa before he even got to cbus where he’s had good linemates.

Lee is good. 40 goals last year when they played all out offense. Then 34 goals the year before but only 18 assists. Then no other 30 goal years, likely not reaching 30 this year. Bailey likewise had a big year last year at 70 pts and then not much before that, one 50+ season. May hit 60 this year. They aren’t plugs but Panarin has a large advantage there. Again I don’t think it matters as Panarin doesn’t need good linemates to be successful but it does show that JT shouldn’t be considered below Panarin and Panarin would get a slightly lesser deal in the same scenario.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It was funny to hear reporters ask the flyers about Panarin after the game and you could get the sense that they wanted the guy too and thought there was a shot at him.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Haven’t read the thread so forgive me if I’m restating things but,
1. Elliot Friedman said Hextall and the Flyers came semi close to acquiring Panarin at the draft last year, so even tho Hexy is gone, they’re others in the organization who really want him too. (I mean I think 30 teams will enquire about him this summer)

2. It’s been stated he wants to go to an eastern coastline team that would be considered a big city

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I find it interesting that, on one hand, this board spends plenty of time agonizing over who the team will lose in the 2021 expansion draft, and on the other, spends a ton of time aching for the team to sign more trillion-dollar players that'll have to be protected.

Anyway, I like Panarin, get 'er done Homer.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's a reliable source, suggesting we need to sign Bob.
Maybe they should check who was playing goal for us the last couple months!

Reactions: BernieParent

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
My god that article is terrible. Especially the last sentence where it ignores the existence of Carter Hart.

To be fair to the article writer, it absolutely is a thing I could see Fletch doing (trying to get Bob as well as Panarin) even though it'd be criminally stupid

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No it's most definitely not going to happen.

Yeah, if the Flyers get out of cap hell just to get back in to it by acquiring a guy they dont really need - im officially done as a flyers Fan. Ill forego hockey until my new favorite team, the Seattle Whatevers, start playing.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Yeah, if the Flyers get out of cap hell just to get back in to it by acquiring a guy they dont really need - im officially done as a flyers Fan. Ill forego hockey until my new favorite team, the Seattle Whatevers, start playing.

I like it. Really captures the apathetic spirit of the mid-90's Seattle music scene.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
To be fair to the article writer, it absolutely is a thing I could see Fletch doing (trying to get Bob as well as Panarin) even though it'd be criminally stupid
Especially since he was never willing to address goalie situation in minnesita with anything but stopgaps.
Also 7 years for panarin is perfect. Takes him right to the point his game should fall off and even at the tail end of his deal he should still be pretty productive considering how well he sees the ice. Time for Bryz to start luring him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad