Panarin

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It depends on what Panarin really wants, I mean honestly I think what he was saying was basically the opposite of Columbus, I’m getting on board with paying him $12 mil/per, what other teams can offer him that much? With an up and coming team and a good-great future goalie?

Seems like the two teams that pop up with him are NYR and Florida.

NYR is going to suck for a few years and who knows how much longer, they have kids coming, but are they good? I honestly don't know.

Florida always seems like they are the next Carolina, but somehow shit the bed every season.

Reactions: Domino666

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seems like the two teams that pop up with him are NYR and Florida.

NYR is going to suck for a few years and who knows how much longer, they have kids coming, but are they good? I honestly don't know.

Florida always seems like they are the next Carolina, but somehow **** the bed every season.

Quenneville + Carter Hart is an appealing combo

All starts with hiring Q

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
So pay him the second most money per year in the NHL . Yikes i'm glad you guys are on HF boards and not the GM of the Flyers . This is not MLB and there is a hard cap and Bread man is no where near the second best player in the NHL . He is 19th in league scoring with 71 points , Giroux has 68 makes about 8.5 , Wheeler 76 pts 8.25 Schiefle 72 pts 6.125 Nathan MacKinnion 82 pts 6.3 mil . Stamkos Gaudreau Kane and the list goes on .Panarin should sit around 9-10 mil and no more , if someone else wants to pay him more let them but make sure you drive them up them then they can worry about their cap problems they are going to have . I know you guys want him and that's okay i like him as well but just throwing stupid money at him now will kill ya later .
Going after Q don't count against the cap so if he is who they really want,then by all means go get him .

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
So pay him the second most money per year in the NHL . Yikes i'm glad you guys are on HF boards and not the GM of the Flyers . This is not MLB and there is a hard cap and Bread man is no where near the second best player in the NHL . He is 19th in league scoring with 71 points , Giroux has 68 makes about 8.5 , Wheeler 76 pts 8.25 Schiefle 72 pts 6.125 Nathan MacKinnion 82 pts 6.3 mil . Stamkos Gaudreau Kane and the list goes on .Panarin should sit around 9-10 mil and no more , if someone else wants to pay him more let them but make sure you drive them up them then they can worry about their cap problems they are going to have . I know you guys want him and that's okay i like him as well but just throwing stupid money at him now will kill ya later .
Going after Q don't count against the cap so if he is who they really want,then by all means go get him .

You can't compare those contracts to someone who is an in-his-prime UFA. Most of those deals were signed years ago when the cap was $10M-$17M lower, or signed as RFAs. For instance,when Kane signed his $10.5M deal, the cap was $71.4M. So his contract was 14.7% of the cap. 14.7% of next year's cap will be $12.2M.

The only guys who are really comparable to Panarin as being a prime-age star and recent UFA are Tavares ($11M) and Stone ($9.5M).

Evolving-hockey has Panarin as the 12th-best player in the league by GAR this year, ahead of every single guy you listed. Incidentally, one guy ahead of him is Matt Duchene.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

IMG_20181021_110348.jpg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Straight cap hit isn’t really a good measure. Giroux is a good marker based on relative performance when he signed. He was 12% of the total cap hit when signed. That’s 10 million at the current cap. Consider increases and the fact that there is without a doubt a bidding war, panarin is getting at least 11 if not 12. I mean if you say not worth it, that’s fine, but he’s getting that money somewhere (or whatever the equivalent minus tax is for Florida).

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
He said New York? To a team in total rebuild. Where did you see this?
He said he wants to move to a city he can see himself living in for the next 5 years. He likes big cities. He hates living in Columbus. That’s why he won’t re sign there. New York, LA, Florida, Toronto, Vancouver.. are cities he would want to sign in. But at the end of the day who knows

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He said he wants to move to a city he can see himself living in for the next 5 years. He likes big cities. He hates living in Columbus. That’s why he won’t re sign there. New York, LA, Florida, Toronto, Vancouver.. are cities he would want to sign in. But at the end of the day who knows
What big name UFA ever resigned in Ohio?

Reactions: renberg

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You can't compare those contracts to someone who is an in-his-prime UFA. Most of those deals were signed years ago when the cap was $10M-$17M lower, or signed as RFAs. For instance,when Kane signed his $10.5M deal, the cap was $71.4M. So his contract was 14.7% of the cap. 14.7% of next year's cap will be $12.2M.

The only guys who are really comparable to Panarin as being a prime-age star and recent UFA are Tavares ($11M) and Stone ($9.5M).

Evolving-hockey has Panarin as the 12th-best player in the league by GAR this year, ahead of every single guy you listed. Incidentally, one guy ahead of him is Matt Duchene.
Don't give me this crap long time ago Wheeler signed a year ago Schiefle the year before Tavaras is way over paid at 11 and by doing this it has drove up Mathews Nylander and now Marner's price and now cap hell and they ain't winning crap . I'm not taking shots at you guys but there's got to be a little reality in things and you can't go throwing money around that don't make sense just cause you want it to . If it was that easy to be a GM you could just out bid everyone on every good UFA but it don't work that way in the real world , the fantasy world world maybe and def NHL19 but i want Panarin at 12 mil i want EK at 12 mil how bout Trouba at 8 and what about the guys we have to sign down the road . Hart in two more years is going to need a new contract Patrick next year and the list goes on . You can't just keep throwing money around and hope it sticks on something . UFA is another way to say over pay if you are stupid with your money . The top teams Tampa Calgary Boston Winnipeg got there cause of their smart drafting and developing not cause they go and out bid on UFA's .

Reactions: renberg and Larry44

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Don't give me this crap long time ago Wheeler signed a year ago Schiefle the year before Tavaras is way over paid at 11 and by doing this it has drove up Mathews Nylander and now Marner's price and now cap hell and they ain't winning crap .

Well, first off, Wheeler's contract is from age 33-37. Not age 28-34, like Panarin's future deal. Wheeler took a discount in salary and wasn't a UFA. Scheifele signed coming off a 61 point in 71 game season. It was a solid contract at signing too, but it's not a comparable situation. You might as well lament Couturier only making $4.3.

Panarin is surely better than Tavares. As was said, by most every measure, he is a top 10 forward in the league. He carries that CBJ team. Those types do not go to UFA. It's not comparable to any other situation or team because this is an ultra-rare event.

The salary cap is indeed going up, so his contract cost at even $12 million is comparable to many of the contracts you named. During his next contract, others will likely surpass him. Because contracts signed at different times are not comparable. Better to spend a higher % of the cap on a superstar than overpay a replaceable depth player or two. The thing in the NHL is that most stars are not paid their worth. That's changing.

What you see many of these same people saying is.....DO NOT overpay for a tier down player. Because there are cap concerns long-term with these contracts, and everything adds up. Panarin is simply so good you build your team around him. Realistically, the Flyers don't even have their own Matthews or Marner who will command exorbitant salaries. Their highest RFA contract likely will start with a 6.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Does Bryce Harper choosing Philly make it more attractive to free agents in other sports? Serious question.
He’s recruiting Leveon Bell so I guess cuz you know... football doesn’t equal baseball?

Winning sports markets translate better for tourism and opportunity for players. We’ve seen that, but it’s highly “cyclical” regarding the boom and bust of the sports world. Philadelphia has the “glitz and glam” for a sports city, but not much else. That could be a deterrent, however, if a player puts the social aspect above the job itself... that should be a sign to step back too. I’m not saying to be weary, he would be amazing on this team, but I’m speaking in a general sense.

Personally, I’d throw a 6 year 11.5mil deal his way. We have some Russian players too and that’s something he wants.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Just get everyone to change their last name to Russian. Get Provy to teach them all Russian. Easiest way to attract Panarin. Davai!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Just get everyone to change their last name to Russian. Get Provy to teach them all Russian. Easiest way to attract Panarin. Davai!

Panarin Girouxikov Konechnikov
Lindblominov Couturinov Voracekov
JVRov Patrickov Frostyev
Laughtinov Misha Hartmanov
NAKov

Ivan Ghostov
Sandyev Gudastov
Morinov Myersyev
AMacova

Hartkin
Talbot (Have to have at least one non-russian on the team).

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well, first off, Wheeler's contract is from age 33-37. Not age 28-34, like Panarin's future deal. Wheeler took a discount in salary and wasn't a UFA. Scheifele signed coming off a 61 point in 71 game season. It was a solid contract at signing too, but it's not a comparable situation. You might as well lament Couturier only making $4.3.

Panarin is surely better than Tavares. As was said, by most every measure, he is a top 10 forward in the league. He carries that CBJ team. Those types do not go to UFA. It's not comparable to any other situation or team because this is an ultra-rare event.

The salary cap is indeed going up, so his contract cost at even $12 million is comparable to many of the contracts you named. During his next contract, others will likely surpass him. Because contracts signed at different times are not comparable. Better to spend a higher % of the cap on a superstar than overpay a replaceable depth player or two. The thing in the NHL is that most stars are not paid their worth. That's changing.

What you see many of these same people saying is.....DO NOT overpay for a tier down player. Because there are cap concerns long-term with these contracts, and everything adds up. Panarin is simply so good you build your team around him. Realistically, the Flyers don't even have their own Matthews or Marner who will command exorbitant salaries. Their highest RFA contract likely will start with a 6.
The cap keeps going up and the NHL does not have a problem with this cause they just keep clawing more and more thru escro. It's approx 15 percent this last year .The players union does not like this and the league says we will keep giving you more but if league rev. don't rise accordingly they will just claw more back which they do . We are heading for a strike cause of this , the cap is rising on ficticious dollars , last year was Vegas influx but that lasts one year . Cap is going to get a reality check when the next CBA gets worked out and shit is going to hit the fan on these cap max teams . Make no mistake i like Panarin but there is no way i'm paying him 12 mil if it was closer to 10-10.5 i would consider it but no more . Also Philly does not have a good track record on big contracts and injuries so beware .

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
The cap keeps going up and the NHL does not have a problem with this cause they just keep clawing more and more thru escro. It's approx 15 percent this last year .The players union does not like this and the league says we will keep giving you more but if league rev. don't rise accordingly they will just claw more back which they do . We are heading for a strike cause of this , the cap is rising on ficticious dollars , last year was Vegas influx but that lasts one year . Cap is going to get a reality check when the next CBA gets worked out and **** is going to hit the fan on these cap max teams . Make no mistake i like Panarin but there is no way i'm paying him 12 mil if it was closer to 10-10.5 i would consider it but no more . Also Philly does not have a good track record on big contracts and injuries so beware .

I have no idea where you’re getting any of the information you’re basing your theory around, and honestly I’m struggling to even figure out what you’re talking about. But it seems that your conclusion is that $10.5M is fine, but the extra $1.5M per year is going to devestate them in this future Cap Armageddon you’re predicting. That doesn’t seem really logical to me.

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I have no idea where you’re getting any of the information you’re basing your theory around, and honestly I’m struggling to even figure out what you’re talking about. But it seems that your conclusion is that $10.5M is fine, but the extra $1.5M per year is going to devestate them in this future Cap Armageddon you’re predicting. That doesn’t seem really logical to me.

Ya. The whole point of having this deep system is that the Flyers should be able to fill in from within for years, for cheap. We should be able to move JVR in a couple years (his cap hit won't look too bad, and he should still score 60 goals or so over the next two seasons, so he'll be movable) to make way for a Ratcliffe or Allison on the PP. And we won't need high-priced veterans like Filppula, Weise or whoever to fill in the bottom half of the roster.

We shouldn't have any vastly overpaid veterans. We can definitely afford to pay top dollar to top free agents.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
How does this rule out Philadelphia? Isn’t philly as big as sunrise Florida? That just must be about the weather.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The amount of overpaid stars, are....hmmm. There are very few. Toews was overpaid the day he signed his deal. Who else? I guess Perry too since he was a top guy when he signed.

Point is, if you think Panarin will be a top player for the next 5 years, he likely won't be overpaid. It's the wasting of money on your non stars that gets teams in trouble and you end up with 5 million on guys like Lehtera and AMac.

Signing Panarin means in a few years you might need to move JVR in 2-3 years. If that's not enough, you may have to move Jake after that in 3-4 years. Point is, there will be other trade options besides kids locked in to long term deals for their prime years.

Giroux and Couts being UFA's in 3 years could be an issue and could also be reasons you trade a JVR or even Jake.

But adding a star like Panarin now is well worth it.

Reactions: Bigkarl and baudib1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad