Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
He wanted to sign the prior summer and Dubas turned down the offer, cost the team millions in cap.
Marner didn't want to negotiate during the season though.
I remember hearing about signing him to 8 million a season or a bit more. Dubas decided not too. Then played him with Tavares all year.

Reactions: ACC1224

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Dubas was pretty bad at his contracts. The Marner negotiations got real ugly in the press. A lot of news from Mitch's camp was heated and he shouldn't be shocked at the blowback. If you're going to talk heat prepare to back it up
-threatening to sign offersheets
-Making upset comments when Matthews signed immediately after. Not being happy for his teammate
-Threatening to play for the Swiss league
- Rehashing a missed 200K rookie bonus
-Not happy about lack of captain consideration
-"I don't care, pay me like Matthews"

I have negative sympathy for both Dubas and Marner for this contract. JT had just signed 11M and he had what, 10 years of success and Marner was handed the same pay off his ELC?

I'm sorry you were given everything you wanted and can't live up to it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas was pretty bad at his contracts. The Marner negotiations got real ugly in the press. A lot of news from Mitch's camp was heated and he shouldn't be shocked at the blowback. If you're going to talk heat prepare to back it up
-threatening to sign offersheets
-Making upset comments when Matthews signed immediately after. Not being happy for his teammate
-Threatening to play for the Swiss league
- Rehashing a missed 200K rookie bonus
-Not happy about lack of captain consideration
-"I don't care, pay me like Matthews"

I have negative sympathy for both Dubas and Marner for this contract. JT had just signed 11M and he had what, 10 years of success and Marner was handed the same pay off his ELC?

I'm sorry you were given everything you wanted and can't live up to it.
I don't recall Marner saying those things. Wasn't it his agent?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think Columbus could still be a viable destination for Marner.

They were the team who was serious about offer sheeting him so Marner already knows they would pay up to keep him.

Plus there's the London Knights connection with Basil McRae leaving for Columbus in 2016 (which was also Marner's last year in junior). It might even end up being a double London Knights connection if the rumours are true that they will hire Mark Hunter as their next GM.

Then there's always the usual teams that get brought up like the 6 teams in no-income tax states (Vegas/Seattle/Tampa/Florida/Dallas/Nashville) and the 3 division rivals in close proximity to Toronto (Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit).

There could actually be a lot of viable destinations for Marner depending on how willing he is to get outta town after another impending playoff failure.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Yeah, Marners camp offered 8.5 x 8 which Dubas declined, rest is history.
Shame, it would have worked out so much better for all parties.
nylander would be 2 more years @ 8-8.5 too.

dubas is the only gm where its better to let the agents swindle you early instead of letting dubas make the calls. you would think it should be other way around most of the time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I may well agree with what you say, all I’m saying is I enjoy winning most of the time during 7 long months of winter hockey. So doing well during the regular season is important to me. Sure the playoffs are a downer and they are more intense but that only lasts a few weeks and it’s over. Yes I’d like to win a Cup as well but at the expense of watching some boring ass game all winter I probably wouldn’t care anymore.

Regular season not mattering needs to be heavily footnoted too. Like you said it makes up a big part of the year and we spend the most time with it so of course “it matters.” It also matters like how steep of an incline the team is running up, how their habits are getting sharper. How they come together as a team and mature as individuals. How exciting their stats chases fuelling team success is. It all matters.

Where it doesn’t matter is change the negative playoff reputations these players have earned. No amount of good regular season work can undo the kind of annual “this” we are in the middle of. It can only prepare you for the redemption arc but isn’t the redemption arc.

Reactions: Confucius

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Columbus could still be a viable destination for Marner.

They were the team who was serious about offer sheeting him so Marner already knows they would pay up to keep him.

Plus there's the London Knights connection with Basil McRae leaving for Columbus in 2016 (which was also Marner's last year in junior). It might even end up being a double London Knights connection if the rumours are true that they will hire Mark Hunter as their next GM.

Then there's always the usual teams that get brought up like the 6 teams in no-income tax states (Vegas/Seattle/Tampa/Florida/Dallas/Nashville) and the 3 division rivals in close proximity to Toronto (Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit).

There could actually be a lot of viable destinations for Marner depending on how willing he is to get outta town after another impending playoff failure.

I think a lot of teams could use Mitch Marner for a variety of reasons.

Anaheim
Utah
Buffalo
Detroit
Chicago
New Jersey
Columbus
Vancouver
Islanders
Minnesota
Montreal
Ottawa
Nashville
Washington

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Anaheim
Utah
Buffalo
Detroit
Chicago
New Jersey
Columbus
Vancouver
Islanders
Minnesota
Montreal
Ottawa
Nashville
Washington
But how many of those would Marner want to play for. I’m guessing zero. None of them seem to be winning a Cup anytime soon.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
This is hindsight though. As MM didn’t even hit 70pts at that time and Willie was unsigned.
8.5mil was Drai’s money and he got that bc he was dominant in the playoffs.
Yep, hindsight with no foresight.

Reactions: myleafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Anaheim
Utah
Buffalo
Detroit
Chicago
New Jersey
Columbus
Vancouver
Islanders
Minnesota
Montreal
Ottawa
Nashville
Washington
Pittsburgh, with the Dubas connection, should really be on this list as well.

I don't expect him to waive, but you can at least have the conversation with him and sell him on idea of reuniting with Kyle and being slapped right onto Crosby's wing. There's your 100 point season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
But how many of those would Marner want to play for. I’m guessing zero. None of them seem to be winning a Cup anytime soon.
And, considering how much money he wants and his value has to have diminished, will any team be willing to give hime what he wants? Maybe Pittsburgh, Dubas has already proven he will overpay him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
And, considering how much money he wants and his value has to have diminished, will any team be willing to give hime what he wants? Maybe Pittsburgh, Dubas has already proven he will overpay him.
How much money does he want?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pittsburgh, with the Dubas connection, should really be on this list as well.

I don't expect him to waive, but you can at least have the conversation with him and sell him on idea of reuniting with Kyle and being slapped right onto Crosby's wing. There's your 100 point season.

Pittsburgh has nothing to give us.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
the issue isnt the interaction between marner/nylander/matthews. the issue is how this type of frustration for marner doesnt raise his game, it seems to make it worse, kid just cant handle the heat here. that being said ive enjoyed marner in the regular season and wish him the best, hes just not made for the pressure in toronto, caring too much can be equally as bad as not caring enough which i think is really his issue, he needs a team that he can just focus on playing, that isnt this city.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pittsburgh has nothing to give us.
That's fair.

They peddled Nylander hard last summer for a top Dman, and nobody bit.

I would expect the same price for Marner should he hit the market this summer, and I would also expect the same results.

Wonder if they try and go after a center

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's fair.

They peddled Nylander hard last summer for a top Dman, and nobody bit.

I would expect the same price for Marner should he hit the market this summer, and I would also expect the same results.

Wonder if they try and go after a center

If it ever came to trading Marner I would move him to the team that can give us the most attractive futures package including picks and prospects and then convert that into whatever we want on the trade market, or keep some for the next wave of promotions and cost effective.

Reactions: Tak7

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
If it ever came to trading Marner I would move him to the team that can give us the most attractive futures package including picks and prospects and then convert that into whatever we want on the trade market, or keep some for the next wave of promotions and cost effective.
Futures + a bad contract seems like the most likely trade if one were to materialize.

Reactions: francis246

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That's what I would do too.

However, I don't think Treliving is that smart / forward thinking, and will likely try and push for more "win-now" pieces out of a notion that they can't waste another year of Matthews & Nylander's primes.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
This is hindsight though. As MM didn’t even hit 70pts at that time and Willie was unsigned.
8.5mil was Drai’s money and he got that bc he was dominant in the playoffs.
It would’ve been a gamble for sure, and Marner was definitely asking for more than he was currently worth at the time

8.5 back in 18-19 on a 79.5 cap was 10.7% but he ended up getting 13.4%

I’d rather we have him 8.5 as it wouldn’t be the first time a team bet on a player, but it is clear that his current contract is something that will never happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad