Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

My reply to you was really a "message"/"nod" to others. If you looked back to what was being said around here the last month of so before the playoffs, you might be surprised how HIGH a lot of the HF CBJ "fans" are on the Panthers. The amount that Trochek (aka Vinny T) is mentioned, you would think Trochek > Barkov.
No I get it. Just making a bit of a joke. Jackets just need to fire somebody no matter what happens!!

No, I got and appreciated the joke. Like Beezer, I was just mainly using your post to make a general comment, not directed towards you.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think you misunderstood my post.

Portzline clarified right after his article was released that Bread was looking for a LONG TERM contract because of the risk associated with taking a short deal.

Thats all I was saying, you can answer the rest of the questions.
I hear you. Personally, I think the agent is talking out his butt so Fans here arent mad at Artemi. The fact that the #cbj want to sign him now, to probably as high as hes going to get, and take the full risk out of a potential injury this season, out of the equation. No agent would advise their client to not sign this deal, because they are not sure they want to be there for the full 8 years. They would tell them to take the deal, and if you have a change of heart down the road, we will request a trade. I think its fair to assume that Artemi wouldnt even sign a 2 year deal here.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I kinda agree with what the Bread Man is saying.

WHAT he is saying is that IF he really has no problems being here another year or 2, and really does LIKE everybody so much, him and Jarmo could come to a "gentlemans agreement" about the contract. It would leave the tiniest sliver of hope that he might change his mind and this "agreement" would also give Panarin plenty of time to make a decision on where he would want to go, if he still wanted to leave. Depending on where he wanted to go, who wanted and could afford him, a "long term" signed Panarin would return some decent assets. Like has been mentioned, maybe we can get him to agree with going to 2 or 3 teams. Legit bidding war.

Why he would do this or be OK with it is a good question. And it IS far-fetched. BUT, if what he says is TRUE about only NOT wanting to commit LONG TERM, I think it could be possible.

But, what Bread Man is saying is, its NOT POSSIBLE. Because not only does he not want to be in Columbus long term, he probably doesn't want to be there "much longer" at all.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I kinda agree with what the Bread Man is saying.

Why he would do this or be OK with it is a good question. And it IS far-fetched. BUT, if what he says is TRUE about only NOT wanting to commit LONG TERM, I think it could be possible.

I think any agent would advise him to sign this lifetime contract , while its being offered now, simply because what I mentioned. He could tear his knee out this season, and that could cut his future earnings substantially, where as right now, he has guaranteed money.He could potentially sign for 8 yrs 88 million dollars , and that money is his , regardless if hes hurt this season. Unless Milstein is just an uttered idiot, he would not let his client take this risk. So your left with the fact that they 100% expect him to be traded prior to this season, to a team he will sign with , or that his agent is just incompetent

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I had been assuming he was tired from over use as well but that's really not the case except Game 6.

Well he was tired from over use - You've just shown that Torts wasn't over-using him in regulation in the first 5 games. It was the amount of overtime hockey, or the leg injury, that slowed him down. And I don't know why Torts thought it would be a good idea to play him that much in game 6, when Panarin really wasn't very good.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think it's possible that it's just a bad idea to sign long term some place if you anticipate wanting to move at any point. There's no out clause, and the contract binds you to that club. You can request a trade, but you can't guarantee that request will be honored. Jarmo could make assurances, but they're only as good as Jarmo's job security. So you sign where you want to be long term.

It's also possible that Panarin doesn't want to be in Columbus at all beyond next year. Based on the public information, we really don't know.

Reactions: EspenK and Beezeral

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think any agent would advise him to sign this lifetime contract , while its being offered now, simply because what I mentioned. He could tear his knee out this season, and that could cut his future earnings substantially, where as right now, he has guaranteed money.He could potentially sign for 8 yrs 88 million dollars , and that money is his , regardless if hes hurt this season. Unless Milstein is just an uttered idiot, he would not let his client take this risk. So your left with the fact that they 100% expect him to be traded prior to this season, to a team he will sign with , or that his agent is just incompetent
First off, the agent doesn't "let" the client do anything. And the agent doesn't have that much of an input into his client's decisions. It's simply his job to understand what his client wants and to make that happen.

So if Panarin isn't sure if he wants to stay in Columbus and doesn't want to negotiate yet, then there's not much Milstein can do about it. He can point out the risk of Panarin getting injured, but if Panarin wants to take that risk then that's what they're going to do.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

So from google translate it seems Milstein and Panarin agree that if he isn't signed to a contract by the opening of camp he's going to UFA. Whether he decides to negotiate with Columbus (which Milstein did say was a possibility) or if he gets traded to negotiate with the new team, thats the way they feel.

To me, it seems like posturing. They are calling Jarmo's bluff on negotiation tactics, that if we want to keep Panarin it will be at his number, not at ours or at any negotiation. Milstein did confirm there to be a list of 7-8 teams, and seemed to imply Panarin isn't staying past this year in Columbus.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So from google translate it seems Milstein and Panarin agree that if he isn't signed to a contract by the opening of camp he's going to UFA. Whether he decides to negotiate with Columbus (which Milstein did say was a possibility) or if he gets traded to negotiate with the new team, thats the way they feel.

To me, it seems like posturing. They are calling Jarmo's bluff on negotiation tactics, that if we want to keep Panarin it will be at his number, not at ours or at any negotiation. Milstein did confirm there to be a list of 7-8 teams, and seemed to imply Panarin isn't staying past this year in Columbus.
It's not Milstein words. This is Lysenkov thoughts, just like his "best thing is Tampa where he gets 9,5M"
But as I know, Panarin outlined a number of clubs, in one of which I would like to be in the next 7-8 years. Not only play there, but also live, build a family, raise children. In general, drop anchor.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It's not Milstein words. This is Lysenkov thoughts, just like his "best thing is Tampa where he gets 9,5M"

Apologies.

Am I correct that Milstein left the door open to negotiating with Columbus but want the situation settled before camp opens?

Reactions: CPTN71

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Apologies.

Am I correct that Milstein left the door open to negotiating with Columbus but want the situation settled before camp opens?
Yes, he's still thinking. This is how it sounds to me, I he decides to stay he will inform the club before Sep 13. If not, they expect the club to do anything they want (trade at TDL, keep him etc) but he will not negotiate the contract during the season. Sounds like they set a date on that meeting.

"The decision is made only by Panarin, and he is preparing to make his choice."

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yes, he's still thinking. This is how it sounds to me, I he decides to stay he will inform the club before Sep 13. If not, they expect the club to do anything they want (trade at TDL, keep him etc) but he will not negotiate the contract during the season. Sounds like they set a date on that meeting.

I wonder if Milstein, Panarin, and Jarmo will meet again before camp and officially get the deal signed/inform the team he's not staying.

Thanks for everything, Maylo. Keep it coming if more stuff comes out. It's really interesting (at least to me).

Reactions: Fro

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully Lysenkov isn't the Russian Eklund.

Assuming what he said is true, if I were Jarmo I'd press for the list asap and try to start a bidding war to try and get the best possible deal. A quick check of CapFriendly indicates that most teams can accommodate his cap hit this year after a trade but next year will take some doing for most. Too lazy at this point to work it through but it does suggest to get him and keep him some significant salary and presumably good player(s) would have to come back.

Strictly from a cap point I think the Rangers look like they will have the most cap next year. From a team that has lots of young talent that I'd like to see being the other side of the deal, Florida is the one. Tampa has a lot of guys that could help here but most have nmc's. Yzerman appears to give them out like candy on Halloween.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Thing is you can buy an insurance policy relatively cheaply for one year. I know a guy just got drafted early in draft and team that drafted him didn't want to use all of the slot money ($16M was slotted but were offering $15M let's say - MLB deals are multiple years so not all in one year). So the agent and family went out and said "ok we'll go to college" and found a $16M insurance policy on his arm and think it was less then $100k to cover 2 years. Once they did that the MLB team knew they were stuck and gave him the full slot dollars.
So the agent will likely take out a big insurance policy for this season (assuming there are no differences in NHL agreement and what drafted MLB players can do). The player has to be calling the shots, he knows the risk, but he either wants out or he genuinely doesn't trust the direction of the team and wants to see.

Reactions: The Bread Man

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

So if I'm understanding you correctly...

Panarin is open to signing a new deal with SOMEONE before camp, but once camp starts, he won't sign with anyone -- including a team he's traded too under a long term agreement premise -- he'll go to UFA to test the market no matter what?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

Panarin is open to signing a new deal with SOMEONE before camp, but once camp starts, he won't sign with anyone -- including a team he's traded too under a long term agreement premise -- he'll go to UFA to test the market no matter what?
I think he meant permission to talk with other teams should be done prior to the camp if they decide to do that, during the season he won't discuss sign and trade or extension with CBJ.
Honestly, i don't know what they want, Lysenkov is terrible interviewer and this was done on the phone or via Skype.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

My assumption is lot of guys don't like distractions during season. He wants it resolved before camp (signed, traded) but once camp starts he won't negotiate.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
My assumption is lot of guys don't like distractions during season. He wants it resolved before camp (signed, traded) but once camp starts he won't negotiate.
He signed his 2 year extension with Hawks in December.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
CBJ fans! I come in peace! and apologize if this has been talked and shut down before, but what are your thoughts on either A.) sign and trade with the Wild involving Zucker + Prospect + Cond. Pick based on Panarin re-signing, or B.) Maybe 1 for 1 swap for Nino?

thanks!

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
CBJ fans! I come in peace! and apologize if this has been talked and shut down before, but what are your thoughts on either A.) sign and trade with the Wild involving Zucker + Prospect + Cond. Pick based on Panarin re-signing, or B.) Maybe 1 for 1 swap for Nino?

thanks!

Why would we do a 1 for 1 swap for Nino? His career high in points is 57...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think he meant permission to talk with other teams should be done prior to the camp if they decide to do that, during the season he won't discuss sign and trade or extension with CBJ.
Honestly, i don't know what they want, Lysenkov is terrible interviewer and this was done on the phone or via Skype.
I think the overall message is pretty much in line with what I posted a few pages back:

It also makes me feel like he won't agree to a sign and trade or sign a contract during the season with Columbus unless he has a change of heart. Either he decides that he wants to put the team first and is willing to take the risk of a sign-and-trade, or he decides he wants to stay, or he decides he absolutely wants out.

Barring a change of heart, I think he reaches UFA regardless of where he is playing by the end of next season. Which means I think Columbus will get pennies on the dollar for him if they trade him. Which to me means they won't trade him barring a major change (i.e. team is tanking the season, Panarin changes his mind, etc.).

I also remain cautiously optimistic about him deciding to stay next summer unless he's traded before then. He doesn't feel a great duty of loyalty to the team or anything, but he has put up career best numbers and is the "star" on one of the top teams in the Metro. He'll get his money and years. And he likes his teammates. It takes a LOT to give up a good thing like that.

Not saying it won't happen. But he would need a really good reason not to stay. If wanting big city life or life on the beach is more important to him, then I think Panarin is in a small minority of NHL players. I still also wouldn't rule out the influence that his significant other may have.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Why would we do a 1 for 1 swap for Nino? His career high in points is 57...

The thought was Nino is on a good deal for another 4 years so you got control over him, but also hes a LW goal scorer as well there is still some potential to possiblly be found, this could also be tweaked a bit if its not over board unfair.

Zucker is a Speedy LW with goal scoring instincts to keep up with that speed but can be a risk to injury with that style and obviously you have RFA control but I would imagine would want him on a deal to feel secure and have control if say you wanted to move either for something else later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->