Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Somehow, the concept of team depth and there only being so much ice time to go around is missed on people. And the fact that a team or roster will/can only score so many goals/points.

With that said, I remember a LOT of people around these parts hating on Calvert's offensive ability much of the time he was here. I think he does have an extra "offensive gear" if given more offensive opportunity. I can see him hit low 20's in goals net few years. Could see him outscore Anderson.

No I get it. Just making a bit of a joke. Jackets just need to fire somebody no matter what happens!!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He rented a jet ski yesterday and went to dinner.

tenor.gif

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yeah that quote has been interpreted one of two ways all over the place. I agree with the same interpretation as major, that Milstein is saying "if this was a situation where we were looking at a shorter deal, it wouldn't be so complicated, but we're not, so..."

Portzline himself also clarified the above in the comments section of his original article because people were immediately rushing to the 2 year argument.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Portzline himself also clarified the above in the comments section of his original article because people were immediately rushing to the 2 year argument.
So, lets assume this statement is true. Hes willing to be here for alteast a couple years to see if he feels like its home.... Why wouldnt you sign an 8 yr deal for 88 mill? In a couple years, if its just not working out for him, go to front office and ask to be traded. It locks him in with a great contract, in case hes injured. What happens if he suffers a major knee injury this year ? What kind of offer would he get at that point, especially if it were multiple ligaments involved ?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So, lets assume this statement is true. Hes willing to be here for alteast a couple years to see if he feels like its home.... Why wouldnt you sign an 8 yr deal for 88 mill? In a couple years, if its just not working out for him, go to front office and ask to be traded. It locks him in with a great contract, in case hes injured. What happens if he suffers a major knee injury this year ? What kind of offer would he get at that point, especially if it were multiple ligaments involved ?
because the team can then refuse to trade him and he's SOL

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
because the team can then refuse to trade him and he's SOL
Like Nash, and then his trade value plummets , and the team still ends up trading him, just at a heavily reduced value ? If a player doesnt want to be on a team, and goes to the front office, they would be fools to not trade them, because they know the agent will leak it to the press, and it affects the team. Look at Duchene. He was a good soldier for a while, by the time camp started, he made it known he wanted to be out. No professional team would want toxicity in their club house.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
A lot of us have interpreted the agent that way, but it's not what Milstein meant. He meant if Panarin was in a position in his career where he could sign a short term deal, there would be no problem signing with Columbus. But Panarin needs a long term deal, he might only get one chance at it.

Does the CBA allow contracts to be structured in such a way that the term would be 2-3 years, with additional 4-5 years optional? I.e. Bread would have security of 3 years, at the end of which, he would have option of extending the deal in Columbus. If not, he could choose not to exercise his option, end the contract and become UFA.
(LeBron didn't exercise the final year of his contract in Cleveland and walked away, IIRC)

I guess Bread would also have security of exercising the option if he got injured. In effect it would give him an escape clause if he decides that Columbus is NOT where he wants to live for the next eight years.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Does the CBA allow contracts to be structured in such a way that the term would be 2-3 years, with additional 4-5 years optional?
No.
Like Nash, and then his trade value plummets , and the team still ends up trading him, just at a heavily reduced value ? If a player doesnt want to be on a team, and goes to the front office, they would be fools to not trade them, because they know the agent will leak it to the press, and it affects the team. Look at Duchene. He was a good soldier for a while, by the time camp started, he made it known he wanted to be out. No professional team would want toxicity in their club house.
So he can give up all his power and leave himself open to that kind of situation, or can ask for his trade now and sign for 8 years with his new team. It's not difficult to see which option is better from his perspective.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Does the CBA allow contracts to be structured in such a way that the term would be 2-3 years, with additional 4-5 years optional? I.e. Bread would have security of 3 years, at the end of which, he would have option of extending the deal in Columbus. If not, he could choose not to exercise his option, end the contract and become UFA.
(LeBron didn't exercise the final year of his contract in Cleveland and walked away, IIRC)

I guess Bread would also have security of exercising the option if he got injured. In effect it would give him an escape clause if he decides that Columbus is NOT where he wants to live for the next eight years.

No, the CBA does not allow for that.

Again, he is going to be signing a 7 or 8 year contract. He will not sign a 2 or 3 year contract. The 2 year thing was a hypothetical to try and say that he doesn't have an issue with the current team, coach or management but he's unsure about committing to the city and franchise for 8 years - it's unfortunate that the statement has led to so much mis-interpretation.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
No.

So he can give up all his power and leave himself open to that kind of situation, or can ask for his trade now and sign for 8 years with his new team. It's not difficult to see which option is better from his perspective.
Unless he blows out his knee this year, and never recovers his explosiveness. If you have a team willing to offer you 11 mill a season for 8 years, that locks in your financial stability, forever. If the true contention is that , if it were a couple yr deal, he would have no issues, then you would be foolish to bypass that deal, and if in a couple years its not where you want to be, you request a trade. Which is why I contend that its all agent speak.

Reactions: thebus88

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No, the CBA does not allow for that.

Again, he is going to be signing a 7 or 8 year contract. He will not sign a 2 or 3 year contract. The 2 year thing was a hypothetical to try and say that he doesn't have an issue with the current team, coach or management but he's unsure about committing to the city and franchise for 8 years - it's unfortunate that the statement has led to so much mis-interpretation.

I know. It seems so simple and obvious.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Unless he blows out his knee this year, and never recovers his explosiveness. If you have a team willing to offer you 11 mill a season for 8 years, that locks in your financial stability, forever. If the true contention is that , if it were a couple yr deal, he would have no issues, then you would be foolish to bypass that deal, and if in a couple years its not where you want to be, you request a trade. Which is why I contend that its all agent speak.
Am I interpreting it correctly that you think the current situation with Panarin is an attempt by the agent to get the most money possible from CBJ?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Am I interpreting it correctly that you think the current situation with Panarin is an attempt by the agent to get the most money possible from CBJ?
No, I think the short term contract mention by the agent, was just damage control, to prevent blowback on Artemi. Because no agent would advise their client to not accept an 8 yr deal, where most likely the jackets have to overpay, compared to an established franchise (Red Wings, Hawks, etc) would pay, run the risk of an injury this year. Agents would sell them on the fact to take the money (especially if you want a trial period for a couple years, to see if it grows on him), and worst case you ask for a trade in a couple years. When you really think about it, if Artemi truly would accept a short term deal of a couple or few years, he would be insane to risk a major injury this season, plus the jackets can give him 8 years, over any other team, at 7.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
...plus the jackets can give him 8 years, over any other team, at 7.

Although a non/lower tax state could reduce the advantage of an extra year. But if iirc 1/2 of what a player makes is taxed at the rate of where he plays the game(s) so some away games could actually be taxed higher than Columbus. Any tax accountants/attorneys here?

Reactions: The Bread Man

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Although a non/lower tax state could reduce the advantage of an extra year. But if iirc 1/2 of what a player makes is taxed at the rate of where he plays the game(s) so some away games could actually be taxed higher than Columbus. Any tax accountants/attorneys here?
You pay taxes based on where games are played. S0 41+ (depending on road games in the same state) are taxed at the home teams state rate. The rest is allocated based on where each game was played.)

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The top 2 lines weren't run into the ground. Their minutes (17-19 ATOI) look normal for a top 6. Artemi has the most at over 20, which is common for a top offensive player. He was exhausted in the playoffs, but we had what, an extra hour to play because of the overtimes? I think that had a lot to do with it.

I'd bring Artemi down to 20, maybe Anderson and Foligno down to 16. That really doesn't buy us that much more ice time though for Bjorky, Milano, etc.. Their minutes will be determined by how they stack up versus other players, not just individual performance. This is kind of ideal for a club though - you want to get to a point where you have enough depth that everyone deserves more time.

I got curious so I had to look:
Game 1: 23:29 (OT)
Game 2: 26:59 (OT)
Game 3: 31:39 (2OT)
Game 4: 20:56
Game 5: 27:11 (OT)
Game 6: 25:39

Season avg was 20:08.

The only outlier was Game 6 really. Though this doesn't account for the types of minutes, opponents faced, zone starts, etc.

I had been assuming he was tired from over use as well but that's really not the case except Game 6. The rest was OT use (though 5 was a bit higher than avg by like 2 shifts). Also notable about game 6 was that Andy was about 2 min under his ATOI, Vanek was 8:35 (Dubi was 4:09 and Letestu was 5:31),, etc. Meanwhile Cam, Panarin, Wennberg were all over 23 mins (PLD was at 17:57 - 2 minsl ess PP and 2 mins less PK than Wennberg).

Just for fun Panarin's 25:39 was second on the team to Jones (27:18) and well more than the second highest D (Werenski 22:09, yes Wennberg and Cam were out there more).

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

I think you misunderstood my post.

Portzline clarified right after his article was released that Bread was looking for a LONG TERM contract because of the risk associated with taking a short deal.

Thats all I was saying, you can answer the rest of the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad