Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Looks like he want to play at conteder team. Dont wanna lookin rude
Based on what?

NYR, NYI, NJ, Florida, and LA are not contenders.

If he wanted to play on a contender then his list would be like:
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Washington
Nashville

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Based on what?

NYR, NYI, NJ, Florida, and LA are not contenders.

If he wanted to play on a contender then his list would be like:
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Washington
Nashville
Based at desire of every pro hockey player. Also that list maybe only rumors

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There's a lot I'm concerned about with Torts, line management isn't one of them. I just remember the good old days with Todd Richards where struggling players (Umberger, etc...) would get the same damn minutes regardless of how they were playing. Wiz kept going out there even when it looked like he had tendons hanging off his legs, and playing with a broken foot and broken ribs. Torts reacts shift by shift. He has overplayed guys at times (Panarin in the playoffs, for sure).
Keep in mind how he utilized William Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Calvert (who said his minutes were like the toilet seat Torts referenced. He skated his top 2 lines into the ground, and that was also down a key player in Wennberg (considering our center depth). In the series with Washington, our guys came back home, up 2-0, and absolutely exhausted.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Based at desire of every pro hockey player. Also that list maybe only rumors
I do not think we can judge what Panarin is doing by the "desire of every pro hockey player."

Most hockey players would want to stay on a team where they, by their own direct admission, like their teammates, like the coaches, have just had their most productive season, are respected as a leader, just made the playoffs, and will be paid very well.

I think it is fair to conclude that Panarin is placing heavy consideration on things outside of hockey.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
What do you think about GM? Torts for me just uses what he have
I agree with you. Jarmo has done a great job with contracts lately, he went out and got Panarin, but he needs to be more agressive. Last year, going into the season, everyone knew we needed a center, we were targeting Duchene , and when that didnt happen, there was no fall back plan. We were Absolutely Lucky, that Pld was able to step up as an option, as a rookie, with Wennberg missing in action nearly the whole season . Team needs to acquire another top end elite offensive option , to go with Panarin. Instead, Jarmo keeps depending on , the answer will come within the room .

Jim Walker

Jul 17, 2018
Ohio
First post - have been lurking for some time now and figured it was time to sign up.....

I have seen it mentioned in a couple of articles that Panarin's agent indicated if this was a 2-3 year deal then it would get done. Why not ideal, it does allow Columbus to retain him and, if they can't extend him in year 2 or so, then they can trade him then. Makes sense to me vs. riding it out and either getting little or nothing from him later this year.

Reactions: geoo9

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Keep in mind how he utilized William Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Calvert (who said his minutes were like the toilet seat Torts referenced. He skated his top 2 lines into the ground, and that was also down a key player in Wennberg (considering our center depth). In the series with Washington, our guys came back home, up 2-0, and absolutely exhausted.

I don't blame Torts for anything with those guys. If he gave them more minutes it would be at the expense of someone else who would be just as aggrieved. Karlsson had, what, 2 goals in a 50 game span at the end of his last regular season here? He was playing decent minutes too. He brought Milano back into the lineup like 6 times last year and was willing to give him a lot of minutes right away several of those times. Calvert is a victim of depth, not Torts. Bjorkstrand's minutes increased steadily throughout last season. His play did not keep pace.

I think he should have played Dubinsky more in the playoffs, actually. Put someone with energy like Hannikainen in the place of Letestu, and play those guys like 10 minutes a night (rather than the 5? mins they got) to ease the pressure on the top lines. Panarin was tired, for sure.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
First post - have been lurking for some time now and figured it was time to sign up.....

I have seen it mentioned in a couple of articles that Panarin's agent indicated if this was a 2-3 year deal then it would get done. Why not ideal, it does allow Columbus to retain him and, if they can't extend him in year 2 or so, then they can trade him then. Makes sense to me vs. riding it out and either getting little or nothing from him later this year.

Hi Jim, welcome to the boards. A lot of us have interpreted the agent that way, but it's not what Milstein meant. He meant if Panarin was in a position in his career where he could sign a short term deal, there would be no problem signing with Columbus. But Panarin needs a long term deal, he might only get one chance at it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Hi Jim, welcome to the boards. A lot of us have interpreted the agent that way, but it's not what Milstein meant. He meant if Panarin was in a position in his career where he could sign a short term deal, there would be no problem signing with Columbus. But Panarin needs a long term deal, he might only get one chance at it.

I'd love to pin this at the top of each page when going through the thread ;)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don't blame Torts for anything with those guys. If he gave them more minutes it would be at the expense of someone else who would be just as aggrieved. Karlsson had, what, 2 goals in a 50 game span at the end of his last regular season here? He was playing decent minutes too. He brought Milano back into the lineup like 6 times last year and was willing to give him a lot of minutes right away several of those times. Calvert is a victim of depth, not Torts. Bjorkstrand's minutes increased steadily throughout last season. His play did not keep pace.

I think he should have played Dubinsky more in the playoffs, actually. Put someone with energy like Hannikainen in the place of Letestu, and play those guys like 10 minutes a night (rather than the 5? mins they got) to ease the pressure on the top lines. Panarin was tired, for sure.
At the expense of others ? You realize that Milano was 2nd in the league in points per minute played, and Bjorkstrand was up there as well, even after Torts asked him to focus on checking, and his production fell dramatically. We went thru a 50 game stretch , where we struggled to score more than 2 goals a game, so I struggle with the notion, of "At the expense of others". Also, as far as WK, what else can you say. Gallant recognized his strengths, and put him in a position to succeed. Instead of putting him in a role he was stuck in most of his career, they recognized his speed, offensive creativity, hands, etc, and put him in an open system that compliments his strengths. Here, our forwards are asked to focus heavily on the 2 way game, and to always be ready to cover for the roving defenseman that has jumped up into the play. Aside from this killing your productions from your forward group, it also results in a ton of easier looks by the opposition, that you have continually noted, in defending Bob.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

Welcome Jim. Just remember that if you take everything on here seriously, personally and as the truth, then you will be fine.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

If Calvert scores 45 goals next year then I will demand that Torts be fired!

Reactions: The Bread Man

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well i hope so but Getz was monster back in days, When he was on spot near goalies zone there was fire and devastation at opponents end. PLD Litle bit far from that effect to opponents

How bout we give Dubois more than his ROOKIE SEASON before we make a judgement, eh?

THIS TEAM MADE THE PLAYOFFS AND HAD MORE POINTS without Panarin.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree with you. Jarmo has done a great job with contracts lately, he went out and got Panarin, but he needs to be more agressive. Last year, going into the season, everyone knew we needed a center, we were targeting Duchene , and when that didnt happen, there was no fall back plan. We were Absolutely Lucky, that Pld was able to step up as an option, as a rookie, with Wennberg missing in action nearly the whole season . Team needs to acquire another top end elite offensive option , to go with Panarin. Instead, Jarmo keeps depending on , the answer will come within the room .

Discount Jarmo's "answer in room" "grow from within" philosophy. Call PLD's emergence "luck."

Yep.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
At the expense of others ? You realize that Milano was 2nd in the league in points per minute played, and Bjorkstrand was up there as well, even after Torts asked him to focus on checking, and his production fell dramatically.

WE WERE GOING TO LOSE A GOOD PLAYER TO THE EXPANSION DRAFT FROM "DAY 1"!! AND THEY TOOK CLARKSON.

Quit putting Bjorkstrand in the same category as Milano. Milano was "2nd" in points per minute because those minutes were some of the "easiest" minutes ANY players got in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

THERE IS MORE TO HOCKEY THAN SCORING POINTS!!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
To be fair to Torts, the utilization of Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, and Milano is consistent with how young guys are typically developed.

In the 2016-2017 season, there was a game where Karlsson was put on the powerplay unit and scored. When asked about it after the game, Torts said that both Karlsson and Wennberg have really high potential and that they need to realize it while also working on their defensive game.

It's unfortunate that we lost Karlsson when we did. In Vegas, a major part of his game is his tenacity and play in his own end. I think Torts helped develop that in the expectation that he'd be a solid player for us in the future.

Put another way, I don't think that Karlsson had earned or would necessarily have succeeded with increased utilization in the 2016-2017 season.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Here, our forwards are asked to focus heavily on the 2 way game, and to always be ready to cover for the roving defenseman that has jumped up into the play. Aside from this killing your productions from your forward group, it also results in a ton of easier looks by the opposition, that you have continually noted, in defending Bob.

To all the Karlsson fanboys, anti-Torts fanboys, Milano fanboys, and Bob fanboys, WHO CARES ABOUT "PRODUCTION" WHEN YOU ARE WINNING GAMES.

If they changed the "system", and it then negatively affected Werenski and Jones' offensive numbers, YOU GUYS WOULD SAY THE SAME DAMN THING!!

THEY CHANGED THE "SYSTEM" MULTIPLE TIMES DURING LAST SEASON!!

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If Calvert scores 45 goals next year then I will demand that Torts be fired!

Somehow, the concept of team depth and there only being so much ice time to go around is missed on people. And the fact that a team or roster will/can only score so many goals/points.

With that said, I remember a LOT of people around these parts hating on Calvert's offensive ability much of the time he was here. I think he does have an extra "offensive gear" if given more offensive opportunity. I can see him hit low 20's in goals net few years. Could see him outscore Anderson.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also a reminder that the way Torts "utilized" Karlsson led to a 50 win-108 point season!!!

THIS ISNT f***ING FANTASY HOCKEY!!

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Torts said that both Karlsson and Wennberg have really high potential and that they need to realize it while also working on their defensive game.

It's unfortunate that we lost Karlsson when we did. In Vegas, a major part of his game is his tenacity and play in his own end. I think Torts helped develop that in the expectation that he'd be a solid player for us in the future.

The bold is 100% true.

Don't wanna go back into "the debate", but if you watched the way Karlsson and other guys on that team played, you would see that it wasn't about playing an "open"/"run and gun" type offense. It was about being responsible AND aggressive all over the ice, and then CAPITALIZING on other teams mistakes and the chances they got from them.

Actually, QUITE similar to the CBJ of 16/17. While I'm not saying Panarin "hurt" the team in any way, he most certainly CHANGED the way the team went ABOUT playing offensively. 2/3 our top line for the majority of the year last year were BRAND NEW.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At the expense of others ? You realize that Milano was 2nd in the league in points per minute played, and Bjorkstrand was up there as well, even after Torts asked him to focus on checking, and his production fell dramatically. We went thru a 50 game stretch , where we struggled to score more than 2 goals a game, so I struggle with the notion, of "At the expense of others". Also, as far as WK, what else can you say. Gallant recognized his strengths, and put him in a position to succeed. Instead of putting him in a role he was stuck in most of his career, they recognized his speed, offensive creativity, hands, etc, and put him in an open system that compliments his strengths. Here, our forwards are asked to focus heavily on the 2 way game, and to always be ready to cover for the roving defenseman that has jumped up into the play. Aside from this killing your productions from your forward group, it also results in a ton of easier looks by the opposition, that you have continually noted, in defending Bob.

Yes, there's a finite supply of minutes. You're wanting to give like 6 guys more minutes, so tell me who you are taking the minutes away from. If you want, write down the 4 lines with the minutes for each player. Maybe you have some idea of how'd you shift minutes around, but for now it just looks like empty complaining.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The bold is 100% true.

Don't wanna go back into "the debate", but if you watched the way Karlsson and other guys on that team played, you would see that it wasn't about playing an "open"/"run and gun" type offense. It was about being responsible AND aggressive all over the ice, and then CAPITALIZING on other teams mistakes and the chances they got from them.

Actually, QUITE similar to the CBJ of 16/17. While I'm not saying Panarin "hurt" the team in any way, he most certainly CHANGED the way the team went ABOUT playing offensively. 2/3 our top line for the majority of the year last year were BRAND NEW.

Very good point, I agree with this. Or I would agree, if you were not shouting, which makes people pre-disposed to disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad