Rumor: Panarin unwilling to re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
With the early (WRONG) "perception" that the front office made a mistake drafting him still lingering over the situation, MANY hockey fans, CBJ or not, seem to forget that PLD was a 3RD OVERALL pick.

A LEGIT 3RD OVERALL PICK.

IN A GOOD DRAFT CLASS.
Correct, and no one in their right mind could have thought that Pld could step in , as a rookie, play center as a jr for 1 year, and be a #1 center as a rookie. They were lucky, that he was able to take on that role. How many rookies could handle that responsibility ? If you guys arent smart enough to see that they were quite lucky in this regard, I dont know what to tell you.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yes, there's a finite supply of minutes. You're wanting to give like 6 guys more minutes, so tell me who you are taking the minutes away from. If you want, write down the 4 lines with the minutes for each player. Maybe you have some idea of how'd you shift minutes around, but for now it just looks like empty complaining.
Not running your top 2 lines, into the ground, gives those additional 2 lines, more minutes.

Reactions: We Want Ten

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
WE WERE GOING TO LOSE A GOOD PLAYER TO THE EXPANSION DRAFT FROM "DAY 1"!! AND THEY TOOK CLARKSON.

Quit putting Bjorkstrand in the same category as Milano. Milano was "2nd" in points per minute because those minutes were some of the "easiest" minutes ANY players got in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

THERE IS MORE TO HOCKEY THAN SCORING POINTS!!
Did these easiest minutes involve a magic unicorn or something :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not running your top 2 lines, into the ground, gives those additional 2 lines, more minutes.

The top 2 lines weren't run into the ground. Their minutes (17-19 ATOI) look normal for a top 6. Artemi has the most at over 20, which is common for a top offensive player. He was exhausted in the playoffs, but we had what, an extra hour to play because of the overtimes? I think that had a lot to do with it.

I'd bring Artemi down to 20, maybe Anderson and Foligno down to 16. That really doesn't buy us that much more ice time though for Bjorky, Milano, etc.. Their minutes will be determined by how they stack up versus other players, not just individual performance. This is kind of ideal for a club though - you want to get to a point where you have enough depth that everyone deserves more time.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Correct, and no one in their right mind could have thought that Pld could step in , as a rookie, play center as a jr for 1 year, and be a #1 center as a rookie. They were lucky, that he was able to take on that role. How many rookies could handle that responsibility ? If you guys arent smart enough to see that they were quite lucky in this regard, I dont know what to tell you.

In about 7 seconds of googling I found Jarmo saying that PLD would be one of the people competing for that top center spot. Give it a go mate.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
In about 7 seconds of googling I found Jarmo saying that PLD would be one of the people competing for that top center spot. Give it a go mate.
One of the people competing... thats gm speak, no gm banks on a rookie to step in as a number 1 center right away, unless hes a generational type talent. And even then, you dont remotely bank on him having the type season that he had.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Very good point, I agree with this. Or I would agree, if you were not shouting, which makes people pre-disposed to disagree with you.

Comparable to the perception or feelings MANY people here on HF have towards Torts?

You can prolly guess how much he and I care.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
One of the people competing... thats gm speak, no gm banks on a rookie to step in as a number 1 center right away, unless hes a generational type talent. And even then, you dont remotely bank on him having the type season that he had.

He was a top 3 draft pick. That's a pretty common expectation. I guess you (and almost literally everyone else) underestimated PLD. I'm glad Jarmo didn't. Plus, Jarmo said he wasn't the only option...

So if your position is "there was some luck involved" then you're right. Because it's sports.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Uh, WHY NOT? I don't think "could" is used correctly AT ALL here.

Again, not long ago, "no one in their right mind" could have thought that PLD would/should have been picked ahead of Jesse. The TRUTH is, in REALITY, THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE IS TRUE.

Nobody thought he WOULD step in and "take over" the 1c spot. Or even MORE appropriate, is that people didn't think he WOULD HAVE to "take over" the spot. Even MORE-MORE appropriate, is that he didn't actually "take over" the spot, but in reality it was "given" to him by Wennberg.

Its not THAT common, and shouldn't be EXPECTED, but having the #3 overall pick, and TOP CANADIAN center, come in and play at an adequate #1C level at 19-20, is NOT luck. Lets also NOT act like he was a driving force from "day 1". I think his "growth" into the role happened naturally.

Its also interesting that you somehow consider this a NEGATIVE "thing" in regards to the team in ANY way. Its been NO SECRET that after the Jones/Johansen trade our centers weren't the prettiest when it comes to "high level" ability. How about we give the front office AND the players EXTREME CREDIT, in not only drafting him, but being "nurturing" enough for him to blossom into what he has become, especially so soon.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree with you. Jarmo has done a great job with contracts lately, he went out and got Panarin, but he needs to be more agressive. Instead, Jarmo keeps depending on , the answer will come within the room .

You conveniently leave out that he also just acquired a (at worst) top 5-10 defenseman in the entire league. You make it seem like vastly improving the team, immediately in 1 move, is simple and that there isn't 20+ teams/GMs all attempting the same thing.

Not only do these "big moves" rarely happen. "Many" times the moves DO NOT work out favorably like it was planned.

Jarmo also has been 1 of the most aggressive GMs in the league in the last few years.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The top 2 lines weren't run into the ground. Their minutes (17-19 ATOI) look normal for a top 6. Artemi has the most at over 20, which is common for a top offensive player. He was exhausted in the playoffs, but we had what, an extra hour to play because of the overtimes? I think that had a lot to do with it.

WAS Panarin "tired" or "exhausted", or do people completely forget the KNEE INJURY.

He looked "fine"/great early in the series.

Orlov's skate, and that weak rebound off Bob's glove, is what lost us the series.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
it's cute watching you guys be upset about losing one 1st line player to Vegas. We gave them 2. welp.

I guess this is the part where we both ritualistically kill ourselves.

PSSHHH

You guys got Vinny T and all those games in hand.

We got Sergei Bobrovsky, 2 defenseman and a bunch of grinders.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Someone ask Portzline if Panarin wants to be traded because the modelling opportunities are limited here.

I don't have social media because of my severe social anxiety.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Jim Walker

Jul 17, 2018
Ohio
Hi Jim, welcome to the boards. A lot of us have interpreted the agent that way, but it's not what Milstein meant. He meant if Panarin was in a position in his career where he could sign a short term deal, there would be no problem signing with Columbus. But Panarin needs a long term deal, he might only get one chance at it.
Thanks for the clarification Major. I was more reacting to a recent article I had read that I interpreted differently.

In that article, Milstein is quoted along the lines (paraphrasing) that it isn't about the money and that if it were a 2 year deal then they may have signed it. But finishes with a "But it isn't a 2 year deal. It's gonna have to be an extended 7 or 8 year deal put in place. "

Thinking about it more, I guess that could mean that Panarin wants the extended deal, but isn't ready to commit to living in Columbus. However, it could also mean that the Jackets (for obvious reasons) are pushing for the extended deal.

Given Panarin's history on past contracts - it is reported that he took a while to sign his existing contract with Chicago for reasons outside of Hockey - this could just be more Panarin's norm. Dunno.

Regardless, here's one of the links: https://www.tsn.ca/agent-panarin-unsure-on-term-in-columbus-1.1134359

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks for the clarification Major. I was more reacting to a recent article I had read that I interpreted differently.

In that article, Milstein is quoted along the lines (paraphrasing) that it isn't about the money and that if it were a 2 year deal then they may have signed it. But finishes with a "But it isn't a 2 year deal. It's gonna have to be an extended 7 or 8 year deal put in place. "

Yeah that quote has been interpreted one of two ways all over the place. I agree with the same interpretation as major, that Milstein is saying "if this was a situation where we were looking at a shorter deal, it wouldn't be so complicated, but we're not, so..."

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah that quote has been interpreted one of two ways all over the place. I agree with the same interpretation as major, that Milstein is saying "if this was a situation where we were looking at a shorter deal, it wouldn't be so complicated, but we're not, so..."
To me this is all agent speak, trying not to insult the city. If your ok being here for the next couple years, sign your deal, long term, lock in your financial future in case your injured, wit trade clauses for teams he would accept, involved. That way the jackets can try to sell him on the city in the mean time, and there are no worries about losing him to free agency. If in a couple years, you find yourself not wanting to live here, he can ask the front office for a trade. Someone will say, what if the front office refuses to trade him.... well then like Nash, his agent would leak it to the media, and his trade value goes down dramatically. So, I dont buy his agents comment about the couple year thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad