Speculation: Panarin to NYR

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
There are likely a multitude of reasons that a star Russian player would rather play in NYC and they have little to do with hockey.

That said, the Rangers will pursue Panarin when he becomes a UFA, they aren't giving up any assets for a guy they might be able to sign for nothing.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If you’re Ray Shero and Lou Lamorello right now how do you not get together and say you’re just going to torture Jeff Gorton for the next 6 months with this by continually having on and off talks with Columbus to try and force the Rangers to deplete the roster and trade for Panarin. One team is on Panarin’s list and both allow him to basically live in the same communities and city he would be in with the Rangers. I don’t think either of the three teams wants to trade off valuable assets for him but if you can make it look good enough that you are serious you may be able to get Gorton to bite early. There isn’t going to be much else out there next summer if Seguin signs so any team needing offense may be desperate

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
yea i guess if you dont care about winning, only money/night life you are not stupid

So a player that has a desire to play somewhere, is stupid because of it...?

There are a lot of Cities throughout the US and Canada that have nightlife. And Panarin will make money regardless of where he chooses to play.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
yea i guess if you dont care about winning, only money/night life you are not stupid

Winning? The Rangers will be back in short order. They aren't one of those teams that does nothing to put out the best team they can. They won't be a perennial loser.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Obviously it makes sense for Columbus to deal him now.

Hayes and Staal at half retained for Panarin.

Of course, you have the other option which is the Jackets think they can win the cup this year with him. I don't but maybe they do.

Nah rather keep assets get a great pick this year because they aren’t contending and sign him in FA and contend the following year no point in wasting assets in a rebuild

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It seems pretty clear that Panarin is prioritizing the city he'll live in over the franchise he'll play for. Which is his prerogative.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I'd wait why give up the caliber of assets it would take to get him now when you can get him free in less than a year and maybe if you are lucky you can pair him with Jack Huges

This. Let this year play out, and sit in the top-10 of the draft. Move Zucc a the deadline for another 1st+. Eat another year of Giradi buyout, and let Staal get a year closer to his. Figure out what you are going to do with Hayes.

Then sign Panarin next season, just as Kravtsov and Shestyorkin come over from the KHL.

*everything* the rangers have done for the past 18-20 months have been to set the table for the 2019-2020 season. No need to do anything too drastic right now.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
i thought they are full reabuild mode, guess not then

We still have Lundqvist, Zucc, Zib, Kreider, and Hayes on the roster. "Full rebuild mode" teams don't keep that kind of talent around if they plan on being a multi-season loser.

In just 1.5 years, Rangers moved up from near dead last to top-10 in prospect pools, and will add another 3 or 4 top-2 round picks next draft. As soon as that draft is over, the 'rebuild mode' is over.

The Rangers are looking up to the Bronx to see how to quickly reload a contender, and so far, they are right along the path.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If you’re Ray Shero and Lou Lamorello right now how do you not get together and say you’re just going to torture Jeff Gorton for the next 6 months with this by continually having on and off talks with Columbus to try and force the Rangers to deplete the roster and trade for Panarin. One team is on Panarin’s list and both allow him to basically live in the same communities and city he would be in with the Rangers. I don’t think either of the three teams wants to trade off valuable assets for him but if you can make it look good enough that you are serious you may be able to get Gorton to bite early. There isn’t going to be much else out there next summer if Seguin signs so any team needing offense may be desperate

So the Devils and islanders are going to be side tracked with fake trade negotiations for the next ~year to try and get the Rangers to deplete our prospect pool for Panarin?

They have more important things to worry about lol. Like trading for Panarin themselves and being the ones who deplete their young prospect pool.

At the moment I'm pretty indifferent on Panarin unless one of Chytil or Andersson have a huge breakout season and solidify themselves as a franchise center in the making.

No serious moves should be made until we have the true #1c we've lacked for 20+ years.

Not Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Dubinsky, Gomez, Drury etc.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
We still have Lundqvist, Zucc, Zib, Kreider, and Hayes on the roster. "Full rebuild mode" teams don't keep that kind of talent around if they plan on being a multi-season loser.

In just 1.5 years, Rangers moved up from near dead last to top-10 in prospect pools, and will add another 3 or 4 top-2 round picks next draft. As soon as that draft is over, the 'rebuild mode' is over.

The Rangers are looking up to the Bronx to see how to quickly reload a contender, and so far, they are right along the path.

I think they’ll move Lundqvist at the deadline this year for a decent haul. I would be surprised if he was still a Ranger at the start of 19-20 season. He would be 38 for the 2020 playoffs and they’re still not likely to be a serious contender til probably 2021 and 2022 although I think they’d be a playoff team in 2020. I can’t see how Shestyorkin isn’t the goalie by then. I would like to see Lundqvist win a cup because there aren’t many atheletes out there who want to win and work their asses off like he does but I don’t think it’s going to be with the Rangers if he does

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
The only time they will trade for him is to try and get his rights before he hits the free agent market after the season so they can negotiate before free agency starts. In that case, a 6th round pick for his rights. It becomes a 5th if the Rangers sign him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I dont see how Gorton can go from "The Letter" to blowing up everything he's built since the 2016 off-season for Panarin.

Coming off that horrendous showing against the Penguins we were in cap hell with an aging core with bad contracts and no prospect pool to speak of outside of Skjei, Buchnevich and Shestyorkin.

In two short years he has built a top 10 prospect pool and cleaned up our cap space.

It would be foolish to turn around and burn that to the ground for Panarin. For once we actually have a plan and must stick to it. Half in half out puts us right back in no mans land.

Trading for Panarin would be the Carmelo trade all over again which the Knicks still haven't recovered from.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Sure they do, look at the 2016 Leafs they were in full on rebuild and planned to be for a while, but even they kept Bozak, Kadri, JVR, Gardiner, for their planned rebuild.

I say planned because plans changed because every single prospect worked out and now here we are.

But yes teams planning full on rebuilds do keep quality Vets because you have to, you can't have 20 kids

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Not sure a team in mid-rebuild would trade for him? Im certain the cost would be super high, player, 1st round pick, and a prospect or something along those lines.

One of Hayes or Zucc, plus one of Hajek or Howden.

Personally, wait the season out. If he truly wants to come to NY they have plenty of room to make it happen and keep the aforementioned assets.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Even if the Rangers are rebuilding if you can add a guy like Panarin for nothing but cap space it’s not a bad idea. He will be 27 still young enough for when the Rangers become competitive. His contract will be a maximum of 7-8 years and with his style of play I doubt his game will drop off in the last few years.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Not sure a team in mid-rebuild would trade for him? Im certain the cost would be super high, player, 1st round pick, and a prospect or something along those lines.

One of Hayes or Zucc, plus one of Hajek or Howden.

Personally, wait the season out. If he truly wants to come to NY they have plenty of room to make it happen and keep the aforementioned assets.

If the trade happens in the next couple of months the price may be high. Thereafter the Jackets won’t get much back as it’s pretty much a given he’s not signing most places. That lowers his value across the board because anywhere he goes in February or March you know it’s a pure rental

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Collusion aside, no one knows if Gorton will even target Panarin if he becomes UFA. If either Shero or Lams make a play for Panarin, it will be because they want Panarin, not because they are trying to screw the Rangers.

There's nothing those teams can do to make Gorton desperate to trade for Panarin.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Panarin really screwed CBJ badly. Not only that they are gonna lose him for free now, he announced it so early too. That kind of shit will probably mess up the locker room. Why couldnt he just kept his mouth shut, be a profesional and do his best to win and when the FA kick in, just go where he want to.

Reactions: free0717

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4