Speculation: Panarin to NYR

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Really? Isles have 30M+ locked up for the next 4 seasons consisting of the likes of Bailey, Ladd, Komarov, Boychuk, Hickey and Clutterbuck. Leddy should be effective for his 4 seasons and they better hope Bailey isn't back to a 35-40pt player with no Tavares.

With a slew of prospects lined up and a NHL roster consisting of effective, mostly mid-20's players and no contract past 3 seasons except Zibanejad and Skjei... I seriously have to disagree.

I hope the Isles do well this season, because there is no way Lou Lam is moving anyone if he can even sniff the playoffs. Then we can watch Eberle and Lee walk for nothing too.
I agree the rangers are better positioned going forward but no need to be so spiteful

Reactions: egelband

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
He screwed them by telling them a year in advance that he wasnt thinking of resigning with them? That makes zero sense.

If they decide to keep him he owes them his best effort. He doesnt owe them a promise to help get them the best return for them possible. Just like a team doesnt owe it to a UFA to be prime minutes and PP time.
okay, he didn't necessarily screw them, but whoever went public with that info sure did. I know it's hard to keep a secret these days, but if no one knows Panarin wants to play in NY, Jarmo could've started a hefty bidding war.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I disagree. This way he told everyone that he dont wanna be a part of their group and that kind of stuff is not really productive, especially if you arguably best player on a team. He should be doing everything in his power to win a cup with the current team.
How do you know he isnt going to do everything in his power to help them win a Cup? What is in his power is to score goals as much as he can and whether he is signed for one year, 2 years or more really has zero effect on that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I agree the rangers are better positioned going forward but no need to be so spiteful

Financially maybe but both teams are mostly loaded with question marks prospect wise and need to delve into the trade or FA market to make things more certain. The only certainties I think either team has at the moment are Skjei, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, Hayes, Kreider, and Zibanejed. On the Isles side I would say it’s safe based on history of 85 point first year players to say Barzal is for real. After that it’s pretty much Pulock, Lee, Leddy and that’s about all.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
okay, he didn't necessarily screw them, but whoever went public with that info sure did. I know it's hard to keep a secret these days, but if no one knows Panarin wants to play in NY, Jarmo could've started a hefty bidding war.
Why should he care how much CBS gets for him? Thats not his concern, just like CBS isnt concerned with making sure that he gets the best contract he can next summer.

CBS traded for him. If they wanted a lifetime guarantee that he'd always play there or that he'd keep quiet about his free agent intentions they shouldve asked him before tradin for him.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Financially maybe but both teams are mostly loaded with question marks prospect wise and need to delve into the trade or FA market to make things more certain. The only certainties I think either team has at the moment are Skjei, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, Hayes, Kreider, and Zibanejed. On the Isles side I would say it’s safe based on history of 85 point first year players to say Barzal is for real. After that it’s pretty much Pulock, Lee, Leddy and that’s about all.
I think it is close for sure (and that the isles can pull ahead) but atm I give it to the rangers because of their financial situation, not playing in two arenas, and having started rebuilding earlier whereas the islanders have only really started now post-Tavares. All our high picks with Snow mostly didn’t pan out. We need 1-2 more solid drafts. Rangers have already had a few back to back

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Why should he care how much CBS gets for him? Thats not his concern, just like CBS isnt concerned with making sure that he gets the best contract he can next summer.

CBS traded for him. If they wanted a lifetime guarantee that he'd always play there or that he'd keep quiet about his free agent intentions they shouldve asked him before tradin for him.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying Panarin owes CBJ anything or vice-versa. I'm just saying the fact that this information got out greatly limits the potential return they're gonna get.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Really? Isles have 30M+ locked up for the next 4 seasons consisting of the likes of Bailey, Ladd, Komarov, Boychuk, Hickey and Clutterbuck. Leddy should be effective for his 4 seasons and they better hope Bailey isn't back to a 35-40pt player with no Tavares.

With a slew of prospects lined up and a NHL roster consisting of effective, mostly mid-20's players and no contract past 3 seasons except Zibanejad and Skjei... I seriously have to disagree.

I hope the Isles do well this season, because there is no way Lou Lam is moving anyone if he can even sniff the playoffs. Then we can watch Eberle and Lee walk for nothing too.

Boychuk is still a top 4 defenseman, Hickey is making 2.5m to play on the bottom pairing.... you've got Marc Staal making twice that for the next three years and you're depending on him. Spooner and Nameistikov both make more than either Komorov or Clutterbuck and Bailey would have led the Rangers in points by a comfortable margin while being only 6 months older than Kreider.

Regardless of anchor contracts, the Islanders will have over $32m in cap space to play with next season if it doesn't go up. You tout the Rangers mid-20 players.... what about the Islanders?

(20-27)
Barzal
Beauvillier
Pulock
Ho-Sang
Leddy
Bailey
Lee
Eberle

*Edit: I was going off last seasons ages, so take Bailey, Lee and Eberle off and make it 21-27

and I'm leaving out low end and middling guys Nelson, Pelech.... and guys that haven't proven anything yet like Toews and Aho. The Isles have the Rangers beat easily in top end and depth in that dept.

Last edited:

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Sure there is. You must be new to NYR/NYI rivalry. Granted, it's been some time since they had the meaningful battles. And, while spiteful... it is true.

I've enough of LL that I know he wants to compete at all costs. He's set up with insurance for a bad start, having the 1 season contract vets that he can move for futures... probably the smart play whether the team is doing well or not. But if NYI come out of the gate hot and - like I said - are even sniffing a PO spot in January, he'll be buying or standing pat. And, in that case, I can see Panarin being a target. I'm just not so sure he'd re-sign. I had a little celly when JT walked for nothing... Just like I will if all the 1 year guys don't get moved and walk next off season. I might even throw a party if they give up assets for Panarin and then he walks too.

I'm proud of my spitefulness and will not apologize. :)

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Could be wrong but I think this one leaked out to a news source and didn't come from Panarin initially. Either way, does it matter? This is the new NHL: you have to sign your guys a year before UFA or it becomes a mess, but all these players earned the right to choose their spot. So it inevitably becomes a question that causes a stink for the entire season.

Well if that is the case it is more understanble imo.

He never said anything like that. He has been clear that he likes the team, wants to win with them, and is not requesting a trade. He is desiring a move for city amenities, it's not job related.

I am aware but he really made it clear that he dont want to be there after his contract is finished. My point is that maybe not everyone will be so full of understanding with his reasons and might do some harm in the locker room.

And every islander fan would disagree with you.

I would take a diminished return for a Tavares requesting a trade happily versus how things played out. Tavares leaving is fine but he left islander fans in the lurch. At least CLB knows where Panarin stands

I dont think you can trade Panarin now after he announaced his plans. Tehnically Cbj could trade him as rental but they are probably in the PO again and they are going to need him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Not having bad contracts doesn't by itself make the team better. Yes you can then get guys in UFA, but it's typically just second tier players who make it to UFA. So you end up using the cap space for, guess what, bad contracts for second tier players.

That's why getting a legit star like Panarin would make such a difference for the Rangers. Players like him aren't normally on the market. The prospect pool itself is very good but not great, it doesn't by itself guarantee a reversal of fortunes. It's similar to the Islanders pool actually and I prefer the Islanders young players, obviously, with Barzal already a star player.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Boychuk is still a top 4 defenseman, Hickey is making 2.5m to play on the bottom pairing.... you've got Marc Staal making twice that for the next three years and you're depending on him. Spooner and Nameistikov both make more than either Komorov or Clutterbuck and Bailey would have led the Rangers in points by a comfortable margin while being only 6 months older than Kreider.

Regardless of anchor contracts, the Islanders will have over $32m in cap space to play with next season if it doesn't go up. You tout the Rangers mid-20 players.... what about the Islanders?

(20-27)
Barzal
Beauvillier
Pulock
Ho-Sang
Leddy
Bailey
Lee
Eberle

*Edit: I was going off last seasons ages, so take Bailey, Lee and Eberle off and make it 21-27

and I'm leaving out low end and middling guys Nelson, Pelech.... and guys that haven't proven anything yet like Toews and Aho. The Isles have the Rangers beat easily in top end and depth in that dept.
Well... where do we start?

*Boychuck is trash and declining rapidly in every facet of the game, costs more than Staal and has an extra year at that higher cost. Staal also isn't being relied upon as a top pairing defenseman like Boychuck is.
*Even Isles fans were extremely unhappy with the re-signing of Hickey to that 4 season contract.
*Spooner and Namestnikov cost 500k and 1M more in cap space than Clutterbuck and Komarov, better offensive players, 5 - 7 years younger and only on 2 year contracts compared to 4 years. I don't even know how that is comparable. Both Spooner and Namestnikov... each scored more points last season than both Clutter and Kom combined - Spooner in only 59 games.
*4 of 15 NYI forwards currently on roster and 3 of 6 defense are MID 20's (24-27) and Leddy is the only standout of the 7.
*Like I said in the post... Bailey is a question mark with Tavares gone. If he's still even a 55+ point player the next couple of seasons... I'm wrong and his contract is totally worth it. I think he has trouble hitting 50.
*Barzal, Beau, Pulock are all legit. No complaints. Ho-Sang is a question mark... still trying to find a NHL spot at 22. I still think he'll be decent NHL'er
*Bellows, Dobson, Wahlstrom solid prospects... just hope LL doesn't move one for a rental so he can make playoffs in his first GM season.
*Eberle, Lee, Nelson and Beauvillier are going for raises next season and then gonna need a heap of space for Barzal after that, especially with 2 seasons of inflation. Lee will want almost double what he makes now and Beauvillier should be a pretty big raise if he continues to progress.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Barzal is maybe worth more than all of those guys put together. I really don't think Shattenkirk adds that much, maybe not more than Pulock will. Hayes and Kreider are being discussed as trade chips - their comparables are more like Lee and Eberle, not the young players. Skjei is a good one, though not sure if he'll be a #1D or just top-pair. Zibby isn't dedicated enough to be consistent - he's always been useless for long stretches. The most intriguing guy there is Buchnevich, and I'd prefer Beauvillier , who had a similar year and is two years younger. The one guy the Isles can't match is Skjei because they need a well-rounded guy, but overall I might prefer the Isles D outlook, they've got better depth. Overall I definitely prefer the Isles outlook. Where Panarin goes could really change things.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Not having bad contracts doesn't by itself make the team better. Yes you can then get guys in UFA, but it's typically just second tier players who make it to UFA. So you end up using the cap space for, guess what, bad contracts for second tier players.

That's why getting a legit star like Panarin would make such a difference for the Rangers. Players like him aren't normally on the market. The prospect pool itself is very good but not great, it doesn't by itself guarantee a reversal of fortunes. It's similar to the Islanders pool actually and I prefer the Islanders young players, obviously, with Barzal already a star player.
I agree about Panarin. I think NYR should definitely be considering him next off season.

Rangers cap space situation is in terrific shape. After the next 3 seasons, Hank, Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith are all coming off the books as the glutton of ELC's are ending for the young guys who pan out and need raises. Girardi's buyout is also down to around $1M in dead space. So, signing Panarin to a big hit, long-term contract definitely wouldn't be a problem for them, even with re-signing some of the 2nd tier guys like you mentioned.

This is a big season for NYI. I like to have some fun because of the rivalry, but from an objective hockey fan - If Lou will sell all the 1 year guys for assets, no matter where they are in the standings, I think Isles are in much better shape going forward. Basically, copy what NYR did last season except NYI get to start off the (somewhat) clean slate with a star in Barzal where NYR have to still hope one of their young guys will be able to make a star impact.

Reactions: Kendo

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I would love to add Panarin to the Avalanche squad only as a free agent. We are not in a position to trade for "rentals"

But would look good powering the second line. That will add another top 10 player probably (Ottawa pick) and M Kaut next season along with Timmins and Makar on the defensive side.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Is this thread about Panarin or a Rangers/Isles pissing match?

Columbus should move him at the deadline to a contender that needs a bonafide top line winger. 1st round +. They will get good value for him, but not great value since some asshat opened up their mouths.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is this thread about Panarin or a Rangers/Isles pissing match?

Hopefully the latter, might be the only way to push people towards a bidding war for a sign-and-trade.

Columbus should move him at the deadline to a contender that needs a bonafide top line winger. 1st round +. They will get good value for him, but not great value since some asshat opened up their mouths.

Hey I know a team in Ohio that fits that bill and would gladly pay (forego) a 1st+ to rent Panarin.

Reactions: Viqsi

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
i thought they are full reabuild mode, guess not then

dont want him

What time table do you put on that? Is two years of restocking, well three if you consider the 2017 draft, enough of a rebuild? Or do they have to be dismal like some teams that started their rebuild 4 or 5yrs ago and still suck?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Panarin is being class act by saying up front what his intentions are.
CBJ can't say they don't know what to expect.

Sure, CBJ best interests short term are probably to get max return as opposed to keeping him for playoff push, get usable pieces for the future.

But Rangers are not the team to be making any payment for him now when he is UFA free next season. The player won't be miffed if we don't grab him now so when he gets here we are in better shape.

Also NYR does not want benefit of Panarin improving results this year and worsening their odds of getting best possible draft selection. A 3 overall pick and we can expedite this rebuild.

If CBJ does not want to go gung ho on playoffs this year, the build move is to deal Panarin asap for highest possible return. Panarin theoretically should be copacetic if his cup chances are all else being =.

While there are other possibilities, I see Boston as a good fit.
A superstar scorer won't hurt, and they have enough surplus of good picks that 3 or so better ones, if that much is surrendered, is so much, too much they can't handle such a cost paid, even if, win or lose, it is a one time playoff splurge for UFA.

NYR definitely out
NYR aren’t going into the season with the goal of getting the worst record. That’s your goal, not the organizations.

But yes, it makes no sense to give up assets right now.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Panarin really screwed CBJ badly. Not only that they are gonna lose him for free now, he announced it so early too. That kind of **** will probably mess up the locker room. Why couldnt he just kept his mouth shut, be a profesional and do his best to win and when the FA kick in, just go where he want to.

No, he didn't screw them. He didn't pull a Tavares. He came straight out and said what his intentions are.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
According to Portzline (The Athletic), the Rangers are Panarin's top choice for FA next year. Does it make sense for Columbus to try and trade him there now (and at what cost)? NYR would probably be better off waiting a year, but maybe Panarin could be had for relatively cheap now before Columbus loses him for nothing.

Cool! I mean everyone assumes every player wants to go to Tampa. So this is very hopeful for NY. I think Panarin will be a Ranger maybe not now but next year. Have that gut feeling like when all the Shattenkirk rumors were circling around. But I agree, think the Rangers are better off waiting a year, no rush now.

Reactions: jetsforever

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No, he didn't screw them. He didn't pull a Tavares. He came straight out and said what his intentions are.
He didn't say what his intentions are.

He said he wasn't going to negotiate a contract right now. Not never. He never said "I will not sign." And he has insisted on the fact that his mind has not been made up yet. Further, his agent has said that there is no list of teams he wants to go to.

The rest is complete speculation which is the opposite of saying what your intentions are.

There is only one source of information and that is Portzline from the Athletic. He cites unnamed sources. But every article about this situation is ultimately derived from Portzline's speculation.

Reactions: Viqsi

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The fact the Isles are on his list shows you it has to do with the New York City and or Russian population factor. That said I don’t know why the Devils or Wild aren’t on his list. I think Murderapolis has the biggest Russian population in the US outside of New York City and Fort Lauderdale-Miami
The Wild?:huh:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He didn't say what his intentions are.

He said he wasn't going to negotiate a contract right now. Not never. He never said "I will not sign." And he has insisted on the fact that his mind has not been made up yet. Further, his agent has said that there is no list of teams he wants to go to.

The rest is complete speculation which is the opposite of saying what your intentions are.

There is only one source of information and that is Portzline from the Athletic. He cites unnamed sources. But every article about this situation is ultimately derived from Portzline's speculation.

I never said he said he wasn't going to sign there.

All he has said is that he stated he has no plans on talking about an extension after the 13th of this month.

Those are his intentions as of this moment.

The rest is just you assuming that I'm saying that he's leaving, which I've never said, feel free to quote me otherwise.

All I said was that he hasn't pulled a Tavares.

I take things at face value, I don't read too far into them because as you see, they change like people's underwear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->