Speculation: Panarin to NYR

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Panarin really screwed CBJ badly. Not only that they are gonna lose him for free now, he announced it so early too. That kind of **** will probably mess up the locker room. Why couldnt he just kept his mouth shut, be a profesional and do his best to win and when the FA kick in, just go where he want to.

To be honest I think what he did is better than what Tavares did

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
To be honest I think what he did is better than what Tavares did

I disagree. This way he told everyone that he dont wanna be a part of their group and that kind of stuff is not really productive, especially if you arguably best player on a team. He should be doing everything in his power to win a cup with the current team.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If you’re Ray Shero and Lou Lamorello right now how do you not get together and say you’re just going to torture Jeff Gorton for the next 6 months with this by continually having on and off talks with Columbus to try and force the Rangers to deplete the roster and trade for Panarin. One team is on Panarin’s list and both allow him to basically live in the same communities and city he would be in with the Rangers. I don’t think either of the three teams wants to trade off valuable assets for him but if you can make it look good enough that you are serious you may be able to get Gorton to bite early. There isn’t going to be much else out there next summer if Seguin signs so any team needing offense may be desperate

It would be a nice try, but I have no doubt that Gorton would be more than happy to see Panarin get traded to the Islanders.

If it is Panarins desire to play in NY (for the only team that really matters) he signs with the Rangers on July 1st 2019

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I disagree. This way he told everyone that he dont wanna be a part of their group and that kind of stuff is not really productive, especially if you arguably best player on a team. He should be doing everything in his power to win a cup with the current team.

That's exactly what he's said his intention is. I think everything he's said/done has been appropriate. I can't say the same about his agent. But I have no problem with how Panarin has handled this to date.

Reactions: Viqsi

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
We are not trading for Panarin.

We will sign him next season if he still wants to play for us

Panarin does not make this team a cup contender this season, so to give up assets for a guy for a useless season when he may just sign with us anyway would be lunacy

Reactions: slg1963

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
He hasn’t come out and said it himself so just hold on to him if your out of the play offs by trade deadline trade him. (Not that I think they will be). Or trade to the highest bidder at the deadline no matter who it is.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He hasn’t come out and said it himself so just hold on to him if your out of the play offs by trade deadline trade him. (Not that I think they will be). Or trade to the highest bidder at the deadline no matter who it is.

I’m guessing he goes to LA or Vegas at the deadline. They are likely to be the two most anemic offensive teams in the top 16 once again this year. Both will have to give up a 1st and probably a middling prospect and that is all

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I’m guessing he goes to LA or Vegas at the deadline. They are likely to be the two most anemic offensive teams in the top 16 once again this year. Both will have to give up a 1st and probably a middling prospect and that is all

I think the Jackets would pay a lot more than that to keep him.

As has been noted before, the rental packages discussed for Panarin look oddly like the standard rental package for a firstliner rental. Why would the return for Andrew Ladd be the same as for Artemi Panarin? This is the guy who nearly deep-sixed the Caps by himself.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Panarin really screwed CBJ badly. Not only that they are gonna lose him for free now, he announced it so early too. That kind of **** will probably mess up the locker room. Why couldnt he just kept his mouth shut, be a profesional and do his best to win and when the FA kick in, just go where he want to.
Could be wrong but I think this one leaked out to a news source and didn't come from Panarin initially. Either way, does it matter? This is the new NHL: you have to sign your guys a year before UFA or it becomes a mess, but all these players earned the right to choose their spot. So it inevitably becomes a question that causes a stink for the entire season.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I think the Jackets would pay a lot more than that to keep him.

As has been noted before, the rental packages discussed for Panarin look oddly like the standard rental package for a firstliner rental. Why would the return for Andrew Ladd be the same as for Artemi Panarin? This is the guy who nearly deep-sixed the Caps by himself.
I'm not sure if the Isles could handle the cost. CBus needs a player going back, and we could give Eberle or Lee up (also UFAs, but a better chance of resigning), and then I think the cost beyond that is a first, but I don't think we can afford to do that. Maybe one of Lee/Eberle and Wahlstrom or something. And.... I don't know if I'm up for that either.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm not sure if the Isles could handle the cost. CBus needs a player going back, and we could give Eberle or Lee up (also UFAs, but a better chance of resigning), and then I think the cost beyond that is a first, but I don't think we can afford to do that. Maybe one of Lee/Eberle and Wahlstrom or something. And.... I don't know if I'm up for that either.

I’m pretty sure it cost the Isles Bellows/Pulock/1st/Lee or Eberle. way too much

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It would be a nice try, but I have no doubt that Gorton would be more than happy to see Panarin get traded to the Islanders.

If it is Panarins desire to play in NY (for the only team that really matters) he signs with the Rangers on July 1st 2019

I don't think he'd be happy if Panarin is torturing the Rangers for the next 8 years. Artemi might have different ideas about which team matters. The Isles look better positioned going forward than the Rangers do. In any case, his move is because of where he wants to live, not because he wants a better franchise to play for.

He never said anything like that. He has been clear that he likes the team, wants to win with them, and is not requesting a trade. He is desiring a move for city amenities, it's not job related.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
And every islander fan would disagree with you.

I would take a diminished return for a Tavares requesting a trade happily versus how things played out. Tavares leaving is fine but he left islander fans in the lurch. At least CLB knows where Panarin stands

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
We are not trading for Panarin.

We will sign him next season if he still wants to play for us

Panarin does not make this team a cup contender this season, so to give up assets for a guy for a useless season when he may just sign with us anyway would be lunacy
Bingo. Rangers have little reason to actually trade for Panarin if he is so willing to play there. They are rebuilding and shouldn't cough up assets for a player likely to waltz their way via free agency regardless. The pressure is on one of the other teams on Panarin's list to make a move and lock him up before he becomes a FA where invariably he would become a ranger.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
One potential benefit of trading for Panarin is the possibility of an 8-year extension rather than a 7-year one from UFA.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think you'll see Panarin wait until free agency before he gets moved. Could end up being the Tavares of the 2019 free agency period when it comes to forwards.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If Panarin is really forcing CBJ hands...then I would think the best option would be to trade him for anything they can get.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
The Jackets' best case scenario now is Panarin "pulling a Nash." Sign an 8 year deal and play 2 years of it in Columbus BEFORE demanding a trade to the Rangers.

Edit for clarity: :sarcasm:

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Jackets' best case scenario now is Panarin "pulling a Nash." Sign an 8 year deal and play 2 years of it in Columbus BEFORE demanding a trade to the Rangers.

If he extends with the Jackets it's because he decides he has a good chance of wanting to be in Columbus long term, which would be the best case scenario for Columbus.

He wouldn't sign long term there with the idea that he'd ask to move in a couple years, because he would lose control of where he is going. It's not that easy for a player under contract to force a move to a particular city.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
If he extends with the Jackets it's because he decides he has a good chance of wanting to be in Columbus long term, which would be the best case scenario for Columbus.

He wouldn't sign long term there with the idea that he'd ask to move in a couple years, because he would lose control of where he is going. It's not that easy for a player under contract to force a move to a particular city.

It was sarcasm. I've accepted he's gone. Ohio isn't for everyone.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I don't think he'd be happy if Panarin is torturing the Rangers for the next 8 years. Artemi might have different ideas about which team matters. The Isles look better positioned going forward than the Rangers do. In any case, his move is because of where he wants to live, not because he wants a better franchise to play for.

Really? Isles have 30M+ locked up for the next 4 seasons consisting of the likes of Bailey, Ladd, Komarov, Boychuk, Hickey and Clutterbuck. Leddy should be effective for his 4 seasons and they better hope Bailey isn't back to a 35-40pt player with no Tavares.

With a slew of prospects lined up and a NHL roster consisting of effective, mostly mid-20's players and no contract past 3 seasons except Zibanejad and Skjei... I seriously have to disagree.

I hope the Isles do well this season, because there is no way Lou Lam is moving anyone if he can even sniff the playoffs. Then we can watch Eberle and Lee walk for nothing too.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Really? Isles have 30M+ locked up for the next 4 seasons consisting of the likes of Bailey, Ladd, Komarov, Boychuk, Hickey and Clutterbuck. Leddy should be effective for his 4 seasons and they better hope Bailey isn't back to a 35-40pt player with no Tavares.

With a slew of prospects lined up and a NHL roster consisting of effective, mostly mid-20's players and no contract past 3 seasons except Zibanejad and Skjei... I seriously have to disagree.

I hope the Isles do well this season, because there is no way Lou Lam is moving anyone if he can even sniff the playoffs. Then we can watch Eberle and Lee walk for nothing too.

They badly need another compliance buy out in the next CBA for sure. I’m pretty sure they sign Lee and trade Eberle. I don’t think it’s a smart decision to sign either because Lee is one dimensional and Eberle just isn’t good enough to warrant a 6-8 year deal. Bailey’s production had nothing to do with Tavares. He had played with him seasons before many times. It was simply a guy near a contract year playing well. I don’t think he ever comes close to those numbers again

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Panarin has completely ****ed over Columbus. NY won't pay a premium becasue they know they can just sign him in free agency. No one else will pay a premium (not even those on his "preferred list") becasue there's too much risk he'll still bolt to the Rangers. A team will have to be convinced they can entice him to stay in order to give up proper value for him. Unfortunately I can see Yzerman thinking that.
He screwed them by telling them a year in advance that he wasnt thinking of resigning with them? That makes zero sense.

If they decide to keep him he owes them his best effort. He doesnt owe them a promise to help get them the best return for them possible. Just like a team doesnt owe it to a UFA to be prime minutes and PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->