Speculation: Panarin to NYR

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
According to Portzline (The Athletic), the Rangers are Panarin's top choice for FA next year. Does it make sense for Columbus to try and trade him there now (and at what cost)? NYR would probably be better off waiting a year, but maybe Panarin could be had for relatively cheap now before Columbus loses him for nothing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd wait why give up the caliber of assets it would take to get him now when you can get him free in less than a year and maybe if you are lucky you can pair him with Jack Huges

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Obviously it makes sense for Columbus to deal him now.

Hayes and Staal at half retained for Panarin.

Of course, you have the other option which is the Jackets think they can win the cup this year with him. I don't but maybe they do.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Obviously it makes sense for Columbus to deal him now.

Hayes and Staal at half retained for Panarin.

Of course, you have the other option which is the Jackets think they can win the cup this year with him. I don't but maybe they do.

Hayes and Staal don't really do anything for the Jackets. His pure rental value, to a team that has no hope of signing him, is higher than that.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
According to Portzline (The Athletic), the Rangers are Panarin's top choice for FA next year. Does it make sense for Columbus to try and trade him there now (and at what cost)? NYR would probably be better off waiting a year, but maybe Panarin could be had for relatively cheap now before Columbus loses him for nothing.

Rangers aren’t go to trade for someone like Panarin when they can get him signed in the offseason. And any team trading for him for a playoff push isn’t going to give much up knowing he’s walking away... that is unless that team has assets they dont mind giving up.
Look for the Rangers to move both Zucc and Hayes at some point this season not add someone like Panarin... not until the offseason anyhow, lol

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Rangers aren’t go to trade for someone like Panarin when they can get him signed in the offseason. And any team trading for him for a playoff push isn’t going to give much up knowing he’s walking away... that is unless that team has assets they dont mind giving up.
Look for the Rangers to move both Zucc and Hayes at some point this season not add someone like Panarin... not until the offseason anyhow, lol
Smart. Scoop him UFA.
Let someone else pay the playoff rental and wait until the summer.
Rangers can deal Zuc, probably re-sign Hayes and have the cap space for Panarin.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Columbus is going to be another tough out in the playoffs, if they stay the course. I expect them to do so. I expect them to struggle to sign Bobrovsky and Panarin, and one or both may well walk. Very good teams rarely make the asset management call in these situations, though.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
win/win for NYR... wait it out and if Panarin signs, great.... if he doesn't, it's all good cause then NYR keeps building and doing what they are doing.

I actually like the youth they are building

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
CBJ could lose Panarin for nothing. I think they know it's a real possibility that happens. The problem here is how much better is their shot at making the playoffs with Panarin and how risky is making the playoffs without Panarin?

Because of that, CBJ can't just trade him away just to get something back. They need a young player that can step in and make an impact. And if they're risking playoffs this year, they definitely need somebody stepping in the line-up next year and making an impact. The ask might be something teams don't want to offer up right now for a UFA, but CBJ are still playing for the playoffs.

Reactions: Viqsi and Figgzfood

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
so Panarin is stupid, cool

Or he wants to be a young millionaire in one of the best cities in the world? I’d imagine they’ll be competitive relatively soon and he helps a lot with getting there quicker.

Reactions: Weast

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Panarin has completely f***ed over Columbus. NY won't pay a premium becasue they know they can just sign him in free agency. No one else will pay a premium (not even those on his "preferred list") becasue there's too much risk he'll still bolt to the Rangers. A team will have to be convinced they can entice him to stay in order to give up proper value for him. Unfortunately I can see Yzerman thinking that.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
No it doesn't make sense for the two teams to trade with each other. NYR have also publicly said they will not be trading for him. CBJ will get more moving him at the deadline half retained to a cup contending team then they would trading him to the rangers resigned. NYR finally have assests but they have also publicly and repeatedly said they have zero interest in moving any of them right now. Hayes and Zucc will be moved for more picks and prospects. Krieder will be next year.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Panarin has completely ****ed over Columbus. NY won't pay a premium becasue they know they can just sign him in free agency. No one else will pay a premium (not even those on his "preferred list") becasue there's too much risk he'll still bolt to the Rangers. A team will have to be convinced they can entice him to stay in order to give up proper value for him. Unfortunately I can see Yzerman thinking that.
Pretty sure it was Columbus that f***ed him. Make your city less boring.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Panarin has completely ****ed over Columbus. NY won't pay a premium becasue they know they can just sign him in free agency. No one else will pay a premium (not even those on his "preferred list") becasue there's too much risk he'll still bolt to the Rangers. A team will have to be convinced they can entice him to stay in order to give up proper value for him. Unfortunately I can see Yzerman thinking that.

Panarin hasn't screwed Columbus. Just like so many other players he is exercising his right to be a UFA next summer.
There are 90 UFAs a year, they all don't sign with their current teams. Actually when CBJ made the trade with Chicago they traded long term certainty to the Hawks (and the Hawks aren't that pleased with Saad and Ansimov) for short term Panarin.
Panarin isn't bolting to the Rangers next July , he's exercising his rights as UFA.

Reactions: haveandare

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
NYR will not only try and bring in Panarin, but maybe even Blake Wheeler and a whole bunch of other guys, maybe Seguin too if he's a free agent.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Panarin wants that NYC lifestyle and Brighton Beach will make him somewhat feel like he's at home in Russia. Can't blame him.

The New York Russians would be glad to sign him as a UFA.

Reactions: RuskiJewski

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Panarin is being class act by saying up front what his intentions are.
CBJ can't say they don't know what to expect.

Sure, CBJ best interests short term are probably to get max return as opposed to keeping him for playoff push, get usable pieces for the future.

But Rangers are not the team to be making any payment for him now when he is UFA free next season. The player won't be miffed if we don't grab him now so when he gets here we are in better shape.

Also NYR does not want benefit of Panarin improving results this year and worsening their odds of getting best possible draft selection. A 3 overall pick and we can expedite this rebuild.

If CBJ does not want to go gung ho on playoffs this year, the build move is to deal Panarin asap for highest possible return. Panarin theoretically should be copacetic if his cup chances are all else being =.

While there are other possibilities, I see Boston as a good fit.
A superstar scorer won't hurt, and they have enough surplus of good picks that 3 or so better ones, if that much is surrendered, is so much, too much they can't handle such a cost paid, even if, win or lose, it is a one time playoff splurge for UFA.

NYR definitely out

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The fact the Isles are on his list shows you it has to do with the New York City and or Russian population factor. That said I don’t know why the Devils or Wild aren’t on his list. I think Murderapolis has the biggest Russian population in the US outside of New York City and Fort Lauderdale-Miami

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad